Metal Gear Solid (1987 - present)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I think Big Boss's and Solid Snake's stories are done. I'd like a game based around The Boss, but that seems less likely than the other two. No, if MGS5 isn't a Raiden-based game (like Rising), then maybe we'll see the rise of a new character, in the time after MGS4, where the world is different.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    I can envision a game about The Boss, who takes on a new Mentor (snake), and maybe the duo goes on some missions, and we can see how much Snake really admired her back then and how the two worked so well together.

Ahh one can only hope for such a game.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The Boss would be the mentor, by the way. She'd be taking on a disciple. And maybe that would work, but I can never truly envision games in this series, simply because anything I try to envision is based on pre-existing characters, and events mentioned in the games. Like maybe Rising with have a section where Raiden saves Sunny from the Patriots facility she was held in (I read somewhere that it was Area 51... not sure about that one), but I can't envision it outside of what it would look like as a cutscene.
    yeah sorry mis typed it.
    mistyped what? I didn't see anything you mistyped.
    about the mentor, I know Snake was her apprentice. I think I was just so caught up in the whole thing that I typed it wrong.
    Oh. Most recent thing you did in Peace Walker?
    Yeah, I was listening to those t apes of from EVA, and the tapes regarding The Boss. I take breaks and defeat one of the boss battles get some extra switchboards now and then.
    Have you finished off Peace Walker Battle 3 yet?
    no, I still need computer components and the top half of ZEKE. I wonder if there is a quicker way to build this thing.
    Did you get Chrysalis' railgun and radome? Those are needed as well.
    Yeah I got those
    edited November 2011 Posts: 7,854
    Well how many memory boards do you still need? Have you been in the ZEKE construction menu?
    seems like there are alot of empty spots that still need to be filled. Man, I have replayed the pupa/chrysilis battles like 5 times each but still don't have enough memory. I am gaining body parts though. Still need the head but have 3/5 though.
    Have you worked on Cocoon any? That fight is probably easier than both. There's one spot up by a building that you can use for cover at any point in the fight.
    I will give it a try.
    It helps. You should get as many memory boards as possible. Also, go the ZEKE construction menu to put the parts on ZEKE.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 7,854
    Okay, who else just saw the greatly impressive Metal Gear Rising (note: no Solid this time) trailer on the Spike VGAs? I previously had no faith in either this game or Ninja Raiden's ability to be a good protagonist, and now I retract both. I haven't been this excited since I saw the first Peace Walker trailer over two years ago.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 1,894
    Doesn't look like a METAL GEAR game at all. The emphasis on the games has always been stealth. RISING looks like it's all about hacking people to pieces.
    Yeah, but how does a cyborg ninja sneak around anyway? His damn gears would be making noise behind every corner. This is also in keeping with his portrayal in MGS4, where he hacks Gekko's to pieces (an action he repeats in the trailer).
    Yes, but it changes the core gameplay mechanic. The appeal of METAL GEAR SOLID lies in using stealth to infiltrate the enemy stronghold. Sure, you can run-and-gun your way through the entire game, but it is so much more satisfying to sneak in without alerting a single guard. RISING REVENGEANCE (stupid name, by the way) forsakes that in the name of hack-and-slash gameplay that I would expect to find in something like DEVIL MAY CRY. It might be consistent with the tone of the character, but it's a radical departure from the series, and I cannot help but think that RISING REVENGEANCE will ultimately prove to be a wholly unnecessary and entirely indulgent game.

Also, I disagree with the notion that Raiden could pick up a RAY and throw it into the air with such ease - especially considering that Gray Fox was squished by REX in the first game in the SOLID series.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 784
    I love the tag line of the trailer Return of the Ripper....haha Jack The Ripper

Well if you notice the title has no Solid in it, so I take it that meaning of this game will be completely different than the others, hence the no stealth and infiltration aspect. As Solid should only refer to the characters of Snake (Solid) or Naked Snake (Big Boss).

Raiden's suit is completely different than Gray Fox's suit from way back. That's not to say he could pick up a Ray but still, the characters and suits are completely different and so are the characteristics.

I was always under the assumption that this game would shed some light on how Raiden became this ninja and maybe how he rescued Sunny, and met up with Big Mama (EVA). But judging from the trailer, I can't confirm any of that.

Oh yeah the graphics are stunning, so that's a plus, but the new GTA game looks good too but that's not saying much. Only time will tell if either game is worth it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Doesn't look like a METAL GEAR game at all. The emphasis on the games has always been stealth. RISING looks like it's all about hacking people to pieces.

I completely agree @shadowonthesun. As I sat there and watched I though what the heck is this?! It was too amped up and instead of teasing poured a drink on our slaps and ruined our nice dress shirt with the splatter. It didn't look like a Metal Gear game AT ALL. Just another game, nothing special.
    As Solid should only refer to the characters of Snake (Solid) or Naked Snake (Big Boss).

"Solid" In Metal Gear Solid meant more than one thing: One, Solid Snake; Two, the game was in 3D instead of 2D.

Also, I disagree with the notion that it doesn't look like a Metal Gear game. The look of the series is as much in the world of the series as the gameplay, and this has the world of Metal Gear splashed all over it. From the PMCs to the Gekkos to the RAY itself (though why it had a giant sword, I'll never understand even when I pick the game up and play it)

I do agree that "Revengance" is stupid, but thankfully that's just the tag like "Tactical Espionage Action", and it sounds way better than "Lightning Bolt Action".
  • Gotcha, I have actually been playing Left For Dead 2, lol

love that game, whats better than running around killing zombies :)
  • I've never played the metal gear games but everybody tells me how cinematic and good they are so I might get a copy of the latest one if I have enough cash
    Gotcha, I have actually been playing Left For Dead 2, lol

love that game, whats better than running around killing zombies :)

Running around and killing zombies with hundreds of different weapons, including ones that you combine out of two other weapons.

Oh yeah, Dead Rising 2.
    Say, back on the subject of Metal Gear, anybody with access to all of the canon games, have you ever played them in chronological order? I've done this once or twice, and am about to do it again, and was just wondering if I'm alone, here.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I did it but these days I tend not bother with peace walker, PO and MGS4. MGS3, MGS1 and MGS2 does the job for me.
    What's wrong with Peace Walker, MPO and MGS4? Or, for that matter, MG1 & 2? (Just asking, because you didn't mention those two.)