Is Now The Time To Go Back To 1953 ?

Comments

• edited May 2016 Posts: 4,325
    But he doesn't inhale. :D

'He reached for the box of Shinsei and lit one, drawing the harsh smoke deep down into his lungs' - You Only Live Twice
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I wouldn't believe everything Fleming wrote, ;)
    Remember the Sumo's being able to retract their testicals ? Or
    Gay fellas not being able to whistle
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Both fact. ;)
    =)) I'll keep trying !
    I wouldn't believe everything Fleming wrote, ;)
    Remember the Sumo's being able to retract their testicals ? Or
    Gay fellas not being able to whistle

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Like I said, you're living in a fantasy land if you think we're going to get a cinematic period piece Bond film. As long as these films are made as contemporary we're not going to see Bond smoke habitually ever again. Back in the day, it was cool to smoke and conveyed a level of status but this isn't 1969. Smoking has a very different general image now.

As for the various ancillary product placements/sponsorships, they are a very big deal and pivotal to financing these movies in the first place. To dismiss them so trivially is short sighted and furthermore it's not looking for problems but just so happens to be an obvious one anyone who understands business can immediately recognise. You mentioned a bunch of period piece TV shows, which is fine and something I personally wouldn't mind BUT again, TV shows aren't theatrical cinema. UNCLE was essentially a flop and not a mumer of a sequel is on the table and X-men first class was great but was a one off as the subsequent movies left the 60s and time jumped, exploring the 70s in DoFp and now the 80s with Apocalypse. Mad Men was a great show but the series was 2 seasons too long for me. That level of writing and characterisation is something EoN should be paying an arm and a leg for but sadly I doubt we'll ever see such talent lend itself to Bond any time soon.

Regarding keeping up with action, it doesn't need apocalyptic type destruction and ppintless explosions. Keep the focus more on great hand to hand combat, actual car chases and an explosion here and there and you're sorted. Create and build tension and suspense, lets feel the gravity of whats at stake. This is possible for television because just look to TV shows like 24; that approach for action scale should be the ceiling and it's overall production value to adapt the Bond novels is beyond capable.

Bond smokes.

How insightful.

Yes, distressing that I had to point it out.

Which was redundant because I acknowledged that Bond used to smoke. The fact is he doesn't anymore.
    Like I said, you're living in a fantasy land if you think we're going to get a cinematic period piece Bond film. As long as these films are made as contemporary we're not going to see Bond smoke habitually ever again. Back in the day, it was cool to smoke and conveyed a level of status but this isn't 1969. Smoking has a very different general image now.

As for the various ancillary product placements/sponsorships, they are a very big deal and pivotal to financing these movies in the first place. To dismiss them so trivially is short sighted and furthermore it's not looking for problems but just so happens to be an obvious one anyone who understands business can immediately recognise. You mentioned a bunch of period piece TV shows, which is fine and something I personally wouldn't mind BUT again, TV shows aren't theatrical cinema. UNCLE was essentially a flop and not a mumer of a sequel is on the table and X-men first class was great but was a one off as the subsequent movies left the 60s and time jumped, exploring the 70s in DoFp and now the 80s with Apocalypse. Mad Men was a great show but the series was 2 seasons too long for me. That level of writing and characterisation is something EoN should be paying an arm and a leg for but sadly I doubt we'll ever see such talent lend itself to Bond any time soon.

Regarding keeping up with action, it doesn't need apocalyptic type destruction and ppintless explosions. Keep the focus more on great hand to hand combat, actual car chases and an explosion here and there and you're sorted. Create and build tension and suspense, lets feel the gravity of whats at stake. This is possible for television because just look to TV shows like 24; that approach for action scale should be the ceiling and it's overall production value to adapt the Bond novels is beyond capable.

Bond smokes.

How insightful.

Yes, distressing that I had to point it out.

Which was redundant because I acknowledged that Bond used to smoke. The fact is he doesn't anymore.

But he does smoke.
    Perhaps they could find some middle ground Don't show him smoking but show
    all the paraphernalia of the habit, the case and lighter ?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

For a man like Bond, there's no feasible way to have him on screen and acknowledge he smokes without showing him smoking, simply because of how many cigarettes he has a day. It's all or nothing, but I don't see them returning to a smoking Bond, unfortunately. At least he's not doing anything lame like vaping or e-cigs.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Creasy47 wrote: »

For a man like Bond, there's no feasible way to have him on screen and acknowledge he smokes without showing him smoking, simply because of how many cigarettes he has a day. It's all or nothing, but I don't see them returning to a smoking Bond, unfortunately. At least he's not doing anything lame like vaping or e-cigs.

Urgh can you imagine.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Urgh can you imagine.

I can't, and I hope I never have to.
    Although, it looks vety odd ( to me at least) when watching something like Mad men
    How much smoking went on, in so many situations. :)
    Mon Dieu - I didn't realise I'd started a smoking thread.
    Morland and Ronson will be proposing product placement soon - that should knock doubleoego's argument about sponsorship into a cocked hat!
    :)) long, long ago when I smoked in my teens. I used to smoke
    John Player Specials, as they had a couple of gold rings round
    them ! As close as I could get to Fleming's discription. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    As long as he doesn t snuff, I am fine.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    As long as he doesn t snuff, I am fine.

I'm pretty sure that Kingsley Amis would have brought that in if he'd continued to write James Bond continuation novels as he was a snuff taker and even wrote a book on the subject - I have it somewhere in my collection! :D
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    If they want Bond to be set in the 50s, let's go the whole way: cut down the action, like, a lot, get rid of the gadgets altogether (or the vast majority of them), have most of the movies spent talking, eating, drinking, watching the scenery, spend a lot of focus on inanimate objects or animals, have Bond draw his gun every other movie, etc..

I actually think that would be great (he draws his gun several times per novel by my reckoning).

Not nearly as often as in the movies and not always to kill. In any case, the Bond of the novels spends more time drinking and eating. And it's fine. That's what I'd expect from the novels.
    If they want Bond to be set in the 50s, let's go the whole way: cut down the action, like, a lot, get rid of the gadgets altogether (or the vast majority of them), have most of the movies spent talking, eating, drinking, watching the scenery, spend a lot of focus on inanimate objects or animals, have Bond draw his gun every other movie, etc. I am all for it, it would make for very challenging cinema, but not exactly what most people, including those advocating for a retro Bond, expect from a Bond movie. Because while Fleming was a master craftsman, he knew how to write thriller and while not Dickens he knew to write literature, he did not write movies. Not one bit. This is the greatest irony of his legacy: he gave us the greatest cinematic icon... While the source material is almost anti cinema.

I'm not sure I agree with this synopsis.
    Of course Fleming didn't write movies - he wrote novels.That doesn't mean they can't be adapted without being destroyed.
    Probably one of the best examples of adapting thriller novel's for the big screen has to be Fred Zinnemman's 1973 version of Frederick Forsyth's masterpiece 'The Day Of The Jackal'.
    It was perfect in every way. The casting was spot on. It was brilliantly shot. It remained faithful to the novel whilst moving like a rocket.
    When I imagine 'Moonraker' adapted with the same forensic detail, I get goose bumps and have no doubt that it would be a huge critical and commercial success with the right director.
    In fact, when I think about the job that Sam Mendes did with 'The Road To Perdition', he would be a good choice for the project.

It worked for The Day of the Jackal and in other movies. But Bond novels are not pseudo-historical thrillers, they are spy thrillers. Often I see people wishing to make retro Bond using the retro aspect as a gimmick.

It worked for The Day of the Jackal and in other movies. But Bond novels are not pseudo-historical thrillers, they are spy thrillers. Often I see people wishing to make retro Bond using the retro aspect as a gimmick.

Of course they are not 'pseudo-historical thrilled', they are classic novels published between 1953 and 1965 that have never really benefited from a faithful screen interpretation.
    The manipulation is the modern interpretation which frankly is like making 'The Thirty Nine Steps' without a train.

• edited May 2016 Posts: 14,831
    Never really benefited from a faithful screen interpretation? How about DN, FRWL, GF, TB and OHMSS? They're not really faithful? Please!

Adapting classics is always tricky. It is even trickier when these classics have already been adapted on the big screen with a huge success that cast a large shadow over the source material. I am not always happy with the way some of these adaptations were done (how YOLT, DF and MR depart from the source material is borderline criminal) but Bond movies being contemporary to the time they were shot was a wise decision for an ongoing series.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I am not always happy with the way some of these adaptations were done (how YOLT, DF and MR depart from the source material is borderline criminal) but Bond movies being contemporary to the time they were shot was a wise decision for an ongoing series.
    Personally, I wasn't thrilled with the writing for CR. It was adapted far too loosely IMHO. And Judi really had no business being there. Vesper's demise was handled too melodramatically... imagine the acting field day Dan would have had with the book's ending...
    That said, it was still a good movie despite.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I'm sure a TV adaptation of Moonraker set in the 50's could co-exist quite easily with it's movie counterpart.

They'd be completely separate entities.

Too much Bond is surely a good thing for us fans!
    There's already enough debates about casting the new Bond. Imagine with two men in the role in two different productions. Yes we had this once with NSNA and OP but then both actors had already been established as Bond in the past. Imagine a competing new casting of 007. That is why even though part of me would love a stage adaptation of some of the novels I don't think it's a good idea ultimately. That separate tv adaptation would not exist outside a certain context.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    There's already enough debates about casting the new Bond. Imagine with two men in the role in two different productions. Yes we had this once with NSNA and OP but then both actors had already been established as Bond in the past. Imagine a competing new casting of 007. That is why even though part of me would love a stage adaptation of some of the novels I don't think it's a good idea ultimately. That separate tv adaptation would not exist outside a certain context.

Agreed.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2016 Posts: 17,808
    suavejmf wrote: »

Agreed.

Yes, but you see there already is another actor in the role with the current Radio Bond Toby Stephens on BBC Radio 4 since 2008.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Are there not at least 4 incarnations of Sherlock Holmes at the moment?
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »

Agreed.

Yes, but you see there already is another actor in the role with the current Radio Bond Toby Stephens on BBC Radio 4 since 2008.

Yes but that is radio, a very different medium.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Are there not at least 4 incarnations of Sherlock Holmes at the moment?

Sherlock Holmes, since his creation, has been the most cast fictitious character in the history of TV/cinema/what have you. More than Dracula, more than Frankenstein and his monster, etc. And unlike James Bond, Sherlock Holmes adaptations were never "centralized" into one single dominant franchise. Unlike Bond, whose cinematic incarnation become infinitely more famous than the source material, Sherlock Holmes is first and foremost an iconic literary character.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Never really benefited from a faithful screen interpretation? How about DN, FRWL, GF, TB and OHMSS? They're not really faithful? Please!

Adapting classics is always tricky. It is even trickier when these classics have already been adapted on the big screen with a huge success that cast a large shadow over the source material. I am not always happy with the way some of these adaptations were done (how YOLT, DF and MR depart from the source material is borderline criminal) but Bond movies being contemporary to the time they were shot was a wise decision for an ongoing series.

And why can't we have another adaptation? Sherlock Holmes is the closest thing to Bond in terms of this discussion and the Holmes stories have been adapted numerous times with differing levels of success.

I really don't see the fact that the story has already been adapted once successfully as any sort of argument that it should never be done again.

There were silent Holmes films in the 20s but if people had followed the 'there's already been an adaptation of that story' theory there would have never been any Rathbone, Brett or Cumberbatch let alone any of the numerous other great scripts who had a crack at the part.

Again Holmes has proved that this is a fallacy. We have had both the completely different interpretations of the Cumberbatch version and the Downey Jnr version going pretty much head to head in recent years and both were successful.

Yes it's unlikely to happen because EON are very unlikely to put another iron in the fire when they have enough of a struggle keeping the first one hot, but in principle I don't see there's anything to turn our noses up at the notion of a separate series on Netflix or suchlike of period adaptations of the novels running in tandem with the continuing modern day action spectaculars in the cinema we are used to.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 14,831
    Comparing Bond to Holmes is sometimes relevant, but this particular comparison regarding adaptations is an argument from analogy and is the fallacy. Sherlock Holmes is a far more popular literary character than the literary James Bond was. Bond was revealed through cinema and thanks to a specific franchise. And Holmes was never "centralized" through a specific movie franchise the way Bond was. Heck, Holmes is the most widely adapted/played character in history!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

And why can't we have another adaptation? Sherlock Holmes is the closest thing to Bond in terms of this discussion and the Holmes stories have been adapted numerous times with differing levels of success.

I really don't see the fact that the story has already been adapted once successfully as any sort of argument that it should never be done again.

There were silent Holmes films in the 20s but if people had followed the 'there's already been an adaptation of that story' theory there would have never been any Rathbone, Brett or Cumberbatch let alone any of the numerous other great scripts who had a crack at the part.

Again Holmes has proved that this is a fallacy. We have had both the completely different interpretations of the Cumberbatch version and the Downey Jnr version going pretty much head to head in recent years and both were successful.

Yes it's unlikely to happen because EON are very unlikely to put another iron in the fire when they have enough of a struggle keeping the first one hot, but in principle I don't see there's anything to turn our noses up at the notion of a separate series on Netflix or suchlike of period adaptations of the novels running in tandem with the continuing modern day action spectaculars in the cinema we are used to.

Agreed. I don't think it would be a problem at all and the cinema Bond and TV Bond would be pretty different animals anyway.

The character of Bond faithfully adapted from the books would be very different from the Cinema portrayal. And the series would be period pieces, even further removing it from the cinematic 007.

Oh well, mabey one day!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Comparing Bond to Holmes is sometimes relevant, but this particular comparison regarding adaptations is an argument from analogy and is the fallacy. Sherlock Holmes is a far more popular literary character than the literary James Bond was. Bond was revealed through cinema and thanks to a specific franchise. And Holmes was never "centralized" through a specific movie franchise the way Bond was.

These are just accidents of history aren't they?

The Strand magazine is where Holmes gained his popular fame not literary circles. Given there was no TV or cinema at the time the argument could be made that populist publications like this were the equivalent of the day.

Bond is only locked into EON by the fact that copyright law has evolved massively. Had Conan Doyle had the foresight to sign an exclusivity deal of some sort we could easily have seen a similar single series of Holmes films with trademarks such as the Holmes theme and a GB sequence (perhaps a series of dots that form a magnifying glass as Sherlock walks across te screen?). By the same token had the Bond books come out at a time when people didn't realise the commercial potential of cinema then we could have seen numerous Bond series from different producers (silent movie era versions of EON, McClory, Ratoff, Feldman etc).
    Heck, Holmes is the most widely adapted/played character in history!

Not quite sure what your point is here. Is that an argument that Bond shouldn't be adapted multiple times?

How is Bond ever supposed to catch up Holmes' 60 years lead if you object to anyone but EON adapting the stories?