Could an American have played 007?

Comments

if I had to pick an American I would say Jack Nicholson
    He already did a lot of shagging without any license whatsoever.
  • Suppose we asked where was the James Bond character actually born, we all assume he is a 'British Secret agent', but I believe Fleming never actually disclosed Bond's actual place of birth, a bit late to be asking now, as Bond has supposedly, a Scots father and Swiss mother, there was no tangible evidence what nationality 007 really was, we just go along with 'British secret agent' every time, I have no problem with that however

The real James Bond, from which Fleming took the name, was, as you'll doubtless be aware, an American bird fancier, who had a book on his coffee lounge table

questions, questions..
    If he wasn't in THE BOURNE LEGACY and MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL, then I'd definately suggest Jeremy Renner as Bond.
    Robert Downey Jr. or Tom Cruise I could see playing James Bond.
    Tom Cruise as James Bond ? This isn't mission impossible..

For the last time, Bond should never be played by an american actor. Yes, we've had an Irish and Australian Bond, but the character should always be portrayed by a British actor at all times, but you simply can't see into the future to see what will occur. I hope it never sees the light of day, and don't think it will. But stranger things have occured
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 546
    Tom Cruise as James Bond ? This isn't mission impossible..

For the last time, Bond should never be played by an american actor. Yes, we've had an Irish and Australian Bond, but the character should always be portrayed by a British actor at all times, but you simply can't see into the future to see what will occur. I hope it never sees the light of day, and don't think it will. But stranger things have occured

Tom Cruise has James Bond is my opinion. Not really saying he should be Bond. I'm saying maybe if an american actor is casted for the role.
    Of course he could be, be then he could also be played openly gay, transgendered, by a woman, Black, Mexican, Arab, handicapped, a midget, as a vampire, space alien, etc.
    But then none of those possibilities would actually feel like the character Fleming intended. There is something to be said for maintaining the British tradition.
    We've already had an American playing Bond. Pierce Brosnan. He lost his Irishness years ago!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Seeing a Bond film in the 50s with Humphrey Bogart (with Lauren Bacall as his Bond girl, of course) would have been a dream. 8->
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2013 Posts: 10,512
    John Gavin was cast in DAF before Connery was bought off. I guess this is the closest, given that he was signed and paid in full.

OSS_117_John_Gavin_tux.png

• We all know the rules:
    British or British commonwealth, definitely no Americans.

Liam Neeson turning it down because he didn't want to appear in action movies has always struck me as strange though. He has done loads of action movies, hasn't he?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    We all know the rules:

Liam Neeson turning it down because he didn't want to appear in action movies has always struck me as strange though. He has done loads of action movies, hasn't he?

He is getting into the action films a lot lately, but before he was a very dramatic actor, from what I have seen of his work.
  • We all know the rules:

He is getting into the action films a lot lately, but before he was a very dramatic actor, from what I have seen of his work.

Absolutely, but it just shows you that when the work dries up some actors will do ANYTHING ;)
    We all know the rules:

Absolutely, but it just shows you that when the work dries up some actors will do ANYTHING ;)

I think it is more about him trying new things and he also really needed to get his mind off of the death of his dear Natasha Richardson by doing acting job after acting job. He is quite strong to pull through his pain and still give us some great performances.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2013 Posts: 13,894
    I'd rather a brit, but if Bond was an american or if I had to pick an american actor for Bond, then i'll through a certain Mr John Cusacks name into the ring. Grosse Point Blank and prehaps moreso War Inc offer many moments that could be used for a Cusack as Bond trailer. Let's just see the man in action...

I'd rather a brit, but if Bond was an american or if I had to pick an american actor for Bond, then i'll through a certain Mr John Cusacks name into the ring. Grosse Point Blank and prehaps moreso War Inc offer many moments that could be used for a Cusack as Bond trailer. Let's just see the man in action...

That was an awesome scene! I will have to add that to my watch list for sure.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

That was an awesome scene! I will have to add that to my watch list for sure.

Cusack has another fight in the fiilm, but that one is the better of the two.
    <blockquote rel="QsAssistant">I don't know about Gere playing Bond but that trailer makes me want to watch "The Jackel". I've never seen it.</blockquote>
    Save yourself the trouble - it's not very good.

I watched some of it. Bruce Willis had the most ridiculous disguises.
    Did...

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    James Caviezel could (have) pulled it off. James-Caviezel_zps856c1727.jpg
    talos7 wrote:
    James Caviezel could (have) pulled it off. James-Caviezel_zps856c1727.jpg

He reminds me of Brosnan there.
    He's a bit more rugged than Brosnan and can fight.
    One american I always thought possible for the role was Richard Gere, but that time has passed, and even then, once again, simply not happy with the idea of having a non-British actor in the part. But Gere would of been something to see in the 1980s as James Bond. It just may have worked
    Gere did have a certain swagger back then and I agree about having a non-British actor as Bond, not my cup of tea.
    If you watch him in An Officer and a Gentleman, in his Naval uniform, you think, that could of worked as James Bond. Could of come in for Roger Moore after 1981, instead of Moore doing another two (unnecessary) Bond releases. If there was an american to play him (Bond), he just may have pulled it off at the time
  • I'm an American myself and I really just don't like the idea of Bond ever being played by an America actor.
  • GoldenballGoldenball United States
    MaidenDeth wrote:
    I'm an American myself and I really just don't like the idea of Bond ever being played by an America actor.

I say Amen to that!

• JRRJRR
    edited March 2013 Posts: 74
    Char35t wrote:
    Robert Downy Jr is to play Bond after DC leaves!!!!!!

Robert Dowey Jr is a slick actor, but after defining roles like Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes, he seems more of a pioneer for new to cinema character outings or in the case of breathing life back into the Sherlock role, with a very personal touch; to take a well established role like 007 he may feel the comparisons to all those present or who have gone before may shadow his unique style of performance. Saying that though, he could have been an interesting choice.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I find this tread quite offensive seeing as we are currently having a Brit play an AMERICAN icon: SUPERMAN!!!!

Oh wait. Superman is Kryptonian, not American....

*nevermind*
    Clint Eastwood. He would've had the charisma and machismo for the part. Trouble is Clint Eastwood has always played his characters like they were Clint Eastwood. Screen legend yes, but not what I would call a method actor. I doubt he could have convinced us with his brit accent.

Still, he could have played Bond as american agent. Pity he only acted in just a few bondish films.