Could an American have played 007?

124»

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Thank God you're not in charge of casting; no offence.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I have no problem with an American playing Bond, but why bother when we have so
    Many talented young British actors. ;)
    No, an American cannot play Bond.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Of course an American can play Bond.

As soon as Disney has taken over the Bond franchise, JJ Abrams will direct Zac Efron as the next Bond actor. <:-P
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Thank God you're not in charge of casting; no offence.
    I am talking strictly American actors if we are talking British as well I am in what I call the two tom camp

Tom Hiddleston

Or

Tom hardy
    Funny- a few of the times an American Bond was seriously considered I could almost picture John Gavin in Las Vegas for Diamonds. I can especially picture Burt Reynolds mixing it up with Sheriff JW Pepper and him in the speedboat for LALD. But only for that film. Glad it didn't happen.
    Thankfully, the Bonds are a family business and just because both Batman and Superman have been played recently by actors from the UK, there's no fear that Barbara and Michael will cast Brandon Routh as Bond in spite. If the Bonds were run by other owners, I wouldn't be surprised if Robert Downey Jr or Val Kilmer or Brad Pitt were cast.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Yes could have and almost did ..but should an American play Bond? Nope. Likewise I think Indy should only be played by an American.

....or even better a Texan
    Yes, why not - Dick Van Dyke showed how an American actor can convincingly play an Englishman
    I mean yes an American could but out of tradition and respect and yes nationalism I think only a British actor should play Bond.

Likewise same argument for Indy.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Yes could have and almost did ..but should an American play Bond? Nope. Likewise I think Indy should only be played by an American.

How about a guy from Indiana?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Not convincingly in my book.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »

How about a guy from Indiana?

:-?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    George Clooney circa 1997 could have done it. Seeing him play a Connery'esque like character with edge in The Peacemaker made me realize that Pierce wasn't quite up to the job.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I have not seen The Peacemaker since it was released. I ordered the Blu-ray and it arrived yesterday; I'll watch it this weekend. I remember it being pretty good.
    Clooney is one of the few modern actors that has an old-school Hollywood presence.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    talos7 wrote: »
    I have not seen The Peacemaker since it was released. I ordered the Blu-ray and it arrived yesterday; I'll watch it this weekend. I remember it being pretty good.
    Clooney is one of the few modern actors that has an old-school Hollywood presence.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I saw it a few months back for the first time in ages and had a blast. It was a 'film ahead' in my opinion. Edgy, tense and with Clooney playing an almost early Craig style character. He had just come off his head bobbing acting tic stage then (there are still a few remnants in the film), and he is super cool/smooth. He's even better as Danny Ocean, but that's a different genre.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Is 'The Peacemaker' the one where Clooney is rocking the mullet? If so, I haven't seen it in a very long time, I'll have to rewatch it one day soon based off that description you give, @bondjames.
    No Mullet, close cropped hair.
    He has the E.R. 'Ceasar' cut @Creasy47.

Highly recommended. Armin Meuller Stahl has a small role, there's a vicious car chase with the hero driving a top of the line S-Class Benz with the bad guys in older BMWs (which is a direct contrast to that year's TND, where Bond is in a newer top of the line 7-Series Bimmer and the baddies drive older Benzes), and Nicole Kidman is excellent in her role as a CIA analyst.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited October 2016 Posts: 1,130
    I think Brad Pitt could have done it well in the 00s Right after Pierce Brosnan
    If im not mistaken he ( Brad) is almost the same age as Daniel Craig and in the early to mid 00s he played many Bond type characters in : Spy Game, Mr and Mrs Smith and even if its not a spy flick he showed he was good at getting the ladies in Troy
    In the late 50's into the 60's Gregory Peck could have pulled it off nicely.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I still firmly believe Ryan Gosling is a good Bond candidate. Canada Is still British commonwealth.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 533
    Wasn't Barry Nelson an American? I thought he made a pretty good Bond . . . on a more realistic level.
    DRush76 wrote: »
    Wasn't Barry Nelson an American? I thought he made a pretty good Bond . . . on a more realistic level.

Glad to see some love for Barry. I liked his version of Bond. However, I feel it is completely unfair to rank him against Connery, Craig, etc- and unfair to rank CR '54 with any of the official Bonds. It's like comparing Judd Hirsch's Count Dracula in the children's special The Halloween That Almost Wasn't to Christopher Lee, Oldman or Langella.
    I will say Nelson's crew cut is exactly how I picture's Bond's in the LALD novel.
    I remember an interview with Nelson, when he said someone told him he looked to be doing a Bogart impression with his Bond, and he had replied that he was just very nervous. One particular line delivery in CR'54 :"It's like any other game. You win or you lose" - his voice and mannerism is exactly like Wally Cleaver.
    Considering how much disdain I have for most the names being thrown at us for Craig's inevitable replacement, and having to actually force myself through foggy lenses just to try and picture some of these guys as Bond without laughing, I wonder if maybe I could be a little more open minded about an American actor portraying 007.
    Could someone like George Clooney, Brad Pitt Jon Hamm or Chris Pine possibly eff up Bond even more than Cavill did Superman? ( The answer is probably yes). I apologize for offending those who proudly label Cavill as the definitive interpretation of the Man of Steel- but I'm a Chris Reeve/George Reeves guy.
    Ryan Gosling- with the right clothes, and look I could possibly be persuaded to open my mind to. Gregory Peck, back in the day definitely had a good Bondian look. Also, I was never against the idea of John Gavin either. I always wonder what DIAMONDS would have been like had he slipped on that short pink tie instead of Sean.
    No, prefer British. Would just compromise an icon. Sure an American could play Bond but c'mon Bond is British and let's keep him that way.
    How many American actors played a Brit convincingly? I am not saying it never happened but honestly, how many you guys can think of?
    As I mentioned on another thread a while back, there have been far more women who've done it convincingly in comparison to men.

Ironically, Mike Myers (A Canadian) probably did one of the better jobs with Austin Powers, even if tongue in cheek.
    I'm sure someone mentioned him at some point.