Could an American have played 007?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2013 Posts: 28,694
    SharkBait wrote:
    Clint Eastwood. He would've had the charisma and machismo for the part. Trouble is Clint Eastwood has always played his characters like they were Clint Eastwood. Screen legend yes, but not what I would call a method actor. I doubt he could have convinced us with his brit accent.

Still, he could have played Bond as american agent. Pity he only acted in just a few bondish films.

He has already spoken out about why he refused to ever agree to the role, saying he sees the character as British and therefore he should only be played by a Brit.
    Clint Eastwood as James Bond !

As hard you try, you can never envisage such a thing. Eastwood for me, will always be 'the man with no name' from the dollars trilogy, and then maybe Harry Callaghan as a close second, but Bond ? Not a chance
  • JRRJRR
    edited April 2013 Posts: 74
    Clint Eastwood as James Bond !

As hard you try, you can never envisage such a thing. Eastwood for me, will always be 'the man with no name' from the dollars trilogy, and then maybe Harry Callaghan as a close second, but Bond ? Not a chance

If you have missed the following films, please have a look at The Eiger Sanction (1975),
    Firefox, Where Eagles Dare, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot & Where Eagles Dare, the former three are Clint Eastwood doing some of the more serious espionage and the latter are just good examples of his past work.
    SharkBait wrote:
    Clint Eastwood. He would've had the charisma and machismo for the part. Trouble is Clint Eastwood has always played his characters like they were Clint Eastwood. Screen legend yes, but not what I would call a method actor. I doubt he could have convinced us with his brit accent.

Still, he could have played Bond as american agent. Pity he only acted in just a few bondish films.

He has already spoken out about why he refused to ever agree to the role, saying he sees the character as British and therefore he should only be played by a Brit.

I agree with him, and I find it admirable that he would have refused the role on such principle.
    Ludovico wrote:
    I agree with him, and I find it admirable that he would have refused the role on such principle.
    Very admirable indeed! If they came to me and said they wanted me as Bond I'd be like 'where do I sign?' 8-}

I bet Clint would have made a fantastic villain though-- or FELIX
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I watched Psycho in 1080p last night and Christ John Gavin is poor. He's passable enough in a supporting role but leading man he ain't. Can't even handle himself in a ruck as man mountain Anthony Perkins knocks him out at one point.

What were EON thinking of? Thank God for David Picker as whilst Sean is hardly brilliant in DAF, Gavin following on the perceived failure of Laz might well have killed the series.

The other instances where an American was cast were similarly awful with Nelson a hollow sham of the character and with Brolin we once again we were lucky to dodge a bullet.

These experiences lead me to think it should never happen but if a guy with the right credentials came along who could do a faultless accent...? I don't think the British public would stand for it to be honest. If you think DC copped for some flak it would be nothing to what a yank would get and unless he hit it out if the park he would get hammered. It would be very brave by EON and the actor and whilst its all very easy now for Babs to say she knew what she was doing at the time there must have been doubts deep down. I know Martin Campbell wasn't convinced.

Downey Jnr is one of the few out there with the acting chops and charisma to pull it off but of course he'll be too old when the Craig era is over.

To sum up its best avoided.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Very admirable indeed! If they came to me and said they wanted me as Bond I'd be like 'where do I sign?' 8-}

I bet Clint would have made a fantastic villain though-- or FELIX

Too charismatic (even not taking into account his star status) for Felix I think. Felix is a though one to cast: he has to have presence, have some charisma and be about Bond's age, but he cannot overshadow Bond.
    I watched Psycho in 1080p last night and Christ John Gavin is poor. He's passable enough in a supporting role but leading man he ain't. Can't even handle himself in a ruck as man mountain Anthony Perkins knocks him out at one point.

What were EON thinking of? Thank God for David Picker as whilst Sean is hardly brilliant in DAF, Gavin following on the perceived failure of Laz might well have killed the series.

The other instances where an American was cast were similarly awful with Nelson a hollow sham of the character and with Brolin we once again we were lucky to dodge a bullet.

These experiences lead me to think it should never happen but if a guy with the right credentials came along who could do a faultless accent...? I don't think the British public would stand for it to be honest. If you think DC copped for some flak it would be nothing to what a yank would get and unless he hit it out if the park he would get hammered. It would be very brave by EON and the actor and whilst its all very easy now for Babs to say she knew what she was doing at the time there must have been doubts deep down. I know Martin Campbell wasn't convinced.

Downey Jnr is one of the few out there with the acting chops and charisma to pull it off but of course he'll be too old when the Craig era is over.

Right on all accounts, I think.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.

Here here.
    The only American who ever seriously could have done James Bond was Cary Grant, and he was only a naturalized citizen who was born in England so he almost wouldn't count as being American...
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    When I think of an American, and I am an American, possibly playing Bond, I think of it more in terms of a fun "what if" than a serious consideration; for me Bond should be played by someone from Britain. I actually think more in terms of what if this American actor had been born and raised British. With that as a given, Clint would have been an incredible Bond had he been from the other side of the pond.
    Tom Cruise and Robert Downey Jr COULD have with a good accent (and Cuban heals for Cruise) but there'd be too much protest and uproar for an American ever to ACTUALLY play 007
    JJMC wrote:
    Tom Cruise and Robert Downey Jr COULD have with a good accent (and Cuban heals for Cruise) but there'd be too much protest and uproar for an American ever to ACTUALLY play 007

When people think of an American playing Bond, they usually think of a big star. If a US born British actor, relatively unknown, would be rumored to play Bond, I wonder if there would be such a protest. Then again, this is highly hypothetical. They'll stick to Brits or Commonwealth members, and I would do the same if I were them.
    Ludovico wrote:
    JJMC wrote:

When people think of an American playing Bond, they usually think of a big star. If a US born British actor, relatively unknown, would be rumored to play Bond, I wonder if there would be such a protest. Then again, this is highly hypothetical. They'll stick to Brits or Commonwealth members, and I would do the same if I were them.

Yeah, I guess you're right, commonwealth excluding Nigeria,Pakistan, India etc, not to be racist but because Bond isn't black.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'm American and I want my Bond to be British.
    Thinking of Americans playing Brits, well - Texan Rene Zellweger gave a very credible accent to her Bridget Jones. But then, she was also the original (and so far only) Bridget.

So I am not saying that a good American actor couldn't do the accent - but I do simply prefer that my Bond is actually British.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Bond is so quintessentially British that you would think it is almost a requirement for a bloke from the UK to play him. But we do exist in a time where Batman, Spiderman and Superman are all played by a Brit and Sherlock Holmes, one of the most recognizably British characters ever is a Yank, so my point doesn't hold much weight. What a world we live in...
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    To be fair we have had two non British actors before. And who knows, next year if him and his SNP mates get his way then Connery might not be British anymore either.

So if an American who can do a good accent comes along and is the best option then I have no problem with it. Just because the actor is American, it doesn't mean Bond is. Doesn't affect the character at all as long as the accent's good.

I'm from the UK (English living in Wales) and I find it funny how most of the responses to this thread who are dead set against it are yanks.

Wizard is right though. Even if there was an American that fit the part well and could do an accent, it'd still get a massive backlash over here so it'd be a bit of a gamble, he'd really have to do well.
    I can see some getting in a stink over George since he is so removed from the UK, but he was never around long enough to really bother anyone I feel, or he was barely known beforehand and wasn't an established actor when he took the role. I just feel like an American Bond would anger fans, considering we are viewed quite badly in many eyes over the pond, I am sure.
    considering we are viewed quite badly in many eyes over the pond, I am sure.
    'Muricans' are . Not Americans. There is a difference ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTo9lr7weQXKxCqtMAkeeaUwZfQZzGxE7GS989RXEG-eTLdfc6G

Personally if a great actor came along and happened to be American, I wouldn't want to exclude him for just that. Non-American actors use American accents all the time and no one gives a damn
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Personally if a great actor came along and happened to be American, I wouldn't want to exclude him for just that. Non-American actors use American accents all the time and no one gives a damn

But they're not playing British secret sercvice agent James Bond OO7.
    I have never been impressed with any of the American actors who have been considered for Bond. Either as an actual possibility Gavin, Eastwood, Burt Reynolds, James Brolin, Adam West, or those touted by the press.
    I'm not saying an American can't play Bond, I'd just rather they didn't. Plenty of British actors to play the British spy we all know and love.

I thought Brolin was fine in the octopussy special
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Risico007 wrote:

You must give me the name of your Bond screen test oculist.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 23,547
    Brolin for Bond? No! That's like having Ryan Reynolds for Bond nowadays. I dread the mere thought of that.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Brolin for Bond? No! That's like having Ryan Reynolds for Bond nowadays. I dread the mere thought of that.

Reynolds was cast (though dropped out) of highlander he would of played the very Bond like character of Connor Macleod

As I still try to reserve judgment until I see a teaser trailer even I have to admit we dodged a bullit when he backed out
  • I think James Franco would be a pretty cool Bond, sue me
    james-franco-8.jpg
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I think James Franco would be a pretty cool Bond, sue me

Okay.
    Expect to hear from my lawyers. I hope I never live to see that. Sorry.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I think Franco was a very cool James Dean, yes. He's a good actor, yes.
    Bond, no.
    Bond is British to his core. I find it hard to believe an American could do it justice, even though I can think of at least one American who is great with a British accent (and of course she could not be Bond); Rene Zellweger. And I just realized I posted this same comment awhile ago. There ought to be another American actor who can do a good British accent, but I cannot think of him at the moment.
    I think a lot of it would come down to the voice, if the accent was poor then it would be a huge distraction, Lazenby was very poor vocally in my opinion and this is a big part of the performance for me.
  • Benny wrote:
    I think James Franco would be a pretty cool Bond, sue me

Okay.
    Expect to hear from my lawyers. I hope I never live to see that. Sorry.

He's a good actor! Oscar nominated.
    resurrecting this thread as I want to bring 5 names to the table

Richard Gere ( i have mentioned him before but considering his take in The Jackal I think Gere would of been a fantastic 007)

Val Kilmer: See the saitn and you can see why plus his austalian accent is really Lazenbyish lol

Tom Cruise: say what you will about him but he throws his all into Ethan hunt and he looks good in a tux

Chris Evans: his Captain America make me think if he could pull off the accent he could od a great job

Robert Downy Jr: Love his iron man and his Sherlock homes combine the 2 and we have what his 007 would look/sound like and I wouldn't mind it.