Blade Runner 2049/Blade Runner 2099 Live-Action Sequel Series Discussion

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Basically, I guess BR 2049 is like SF for me- looked fantastic, was well acted, very epic... but it just lacked a simplicity at the basic level. Even the most complicated & convoluted tales have a simplicity as the foundation. Roots if you will. When you build in the air there is no foundation.... and when the grav-stabilizers fail (as the nearly always do), the project settles down onto uneven ground.

It's like it's missing "the rug that really ties the room together."
    Many of THE greatest movies of all time have very simple stories as their basis. BR is one of these IMHO. Can anyone provide a summary of the BR2049 story in one sentence?
  • BR: Man hunts robots and finds self.

BR2049: Man hunts robots and finds his dad, his sister, his self, a dog, Elvis, and an underground army led by a cyclops.
    I think, with hindsight, the biggest mistake was to try to make a sequal that fitted in so closely with the original story. Perhaps because they were a little in awe of the original. As with Star Wars, Star Trek etc, one of the big big achievements for the original was to create a totally immersive World all of its own. So much potential to create a new, seperate story within that same World. Another Bladerunner on another investigation. With subtle nods to the original but with new ideas re plot and new characters. Did I or the wider audience ever want to see Rachel's skull? Or Deckard's dog? I don't think so.

A 2 hour rollicking, clever action drama set within the "bladerunner universe" would have been a better bet

• For all its artistry, BR2049 was still slave to the 80s nostalgia/remake-veiled-as-sequel craze.
    A female bladerunner would have been somethng different and prevented comparisons with Ford's performance.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    mattjoes wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Basically, I guess BR 2049 is like SF for me- looked fantastic, was well acted, very epic... but it just lacked a simplicity at the basic level. Even the most complicated & convoluted tales have a simplicity as the foundation. Roots if you will. When you build in the air there is no foundation.... and when the grav-stabilizers fail (as the nearly always do), the project settles down onto uneven ground.

It's like it's missing "the rug that really ties the room together."

Hahahahaha! Yes!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I rewatched the first blade runner today in anticipation of rewatching BR2049, and even though I liked it the first time, I really had a good time with this film. It jumped from a 7/10 to a 9/10 in my ratings. Everything is just so perfectly made in this movie. The acting is great, Ford gives a great performance and all the replicants feel like replicants and Sean young acts like a person who is a replicant but doesn’t realize it, which is great. The set design is incredible, I don’t even know how they made this in the 80’s. Also the world building is fantastic. I love how it feels like the viewer is dropped in the middle of a world and gets to see a couple days in the pov of a “cop”. And the whole philosophical side of it is really the gem here as it is mind blowing. It does SF better than any other film maybe ever and really feels like an epic film. I really enjoyed the score too, it was very strange and differant, kind of like this film. I still had some questions though this time:

Why does Rutger save Harrison at the end?

Is the sole goal of the replicants to extend their life when the come to earth?

What does Gaff mean by” she won’t live but who does”

Are they planning to hunt down Rachel at the end of the film and wasn’t that Deckards job to do but then Gaff seems to imply that Deckard is finsihed

I hope my opinion on BR2049 gets better this time, I liked it in theatres I think I gave it a 5 or a 6/10 but I think it’ll be a higher rating now that i kind of know what I’m getting into as the film is kind of a meander.

I was also thinking this time backwards knowing that a possible theory was that Deckard was planted in that situation to have a baby with Rachel. Wouldn’t they both have to be replicants for that to be such an accomplishment the way Robin Wright talks about it in BR2049 as a world breaking phenomenon if replicants have kids, like doesn’t that definitely answer the questions since it only really matters if two replicants can have kids not if one human and one replicant can have a kid, that’s not such a big achievement. And what’s the reason for Rachel’s death in BR2049 again, I forgot
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 6,844
    Why does Rutger save Harrison at the end?

They still had a scene left to shoot with Harrison Ford, so Hauer wisely spared him from falling to his death. ;)

In a sense, does Batty not prove he is indeed more human than human by sparing the life of the man who's been trying to kill him? As his life-clock ticks down through its final moments, Batty goes wild, howling like an animal, experiencing all those sensations he knows he never will again. And in nearly his final moment he displays a last act of humanity in the mercy he offers Deckard. He saves Deckard because he's human—more human than human.
    Is the sole goal of the replicants to extend their life when the come to earth?

The ones we see in the film, yes. Others might flee to Earth simply to escape their off-world labor.
    What does Gaff mean by” she won’t live but who does”

Gaff means she hasn't got long to live. The "who does" part refers to the fact that we all must perish some day. You can't hold on to your life—or to anything in this world—forever. May also be referring to Deckard having an abbreviated lifespan as well, depending on your view of the film.
    Are they planning to hunt down Rachel at the end of the film and wasn’t that Deckards job to do but then Gaff seems to imply that Deckard is finsihed

I personally don't think Gaff intends to hunt Rachael down. He leaves the unicorn origami outside Deckard's apartment where Rachael is sleeping, so he would have had every opportunity to retire her. But as with so much else in this film, I suppose that's open to interpretation.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    That article about how misogynist BR2049 allegedly is, made me cringe, made me mad, made me say the f-word as follows; "Oh, ... you!" Seriously, this is crazy. I shouldn't even get worked up over it. The author of that article deserves a good [insert famous Kevin Smith word here] and get over her issues.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 5,767
    Just for the record, Ridley Scott sharing some thoughts on the lack of commercial success of BR2049:

http://collider.com/ridley-scott-blade-runner-2049-criticism/

Including some retconning of the original BR, yippieyeay.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    So good old Ridley thinks BR 2049 is too long? I think they misjudged how many people would actually want to see it. The original BR is a cult film. Popular amongst science fiction fans but it never had the fanbase of Star Trek or Star Wars.

Oh so BR wasn't about a man becoming less of a human than the androids he is hunting? Funny as that was what the book and screenplay were about. Suddenly its all about Tyrell wanting two androids to procreate which I don't remember being even remotely hinted at in the original.

What with his 'Deckard was a Replicant schtick' and now this, I do wonder if Scott ever understood the story he was making.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Idiot savant?
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 5,767
    Suddenly its all about Tyrell wanting two androids to procreate which I don't remember being even remotely hinted at in the original.
    Old Ridley doesn´t even talk about androids or replicants, now all of a sudden everything is AI, just as he blabbered the other other day concerning the next Alien film (thank G-d it´s not on the horizon anymore) concentrating on AI, which in Ridley´s view is the real threat, not the aliens.
    It´s telling how someone talking such stupidity is allowed to make so many expensive films. I believe him when he says he will finish the film within time and within budget, due to his long experience. I deeply respect that. But artistically, how can he say such idiotical things?

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited January 2018 Posts: 3,985
    Watched this again recently and my opinion hasn't changed. It's a decent enough effort at a sequel to one of the best science fiction films ever made. But it's not the masterpiece fawning critics would have you believe.

It's almost too respectful of the original's look and feel and it could be described as being a Replicant of the original. The story is interesting enough up to a point but there is nothing in this that really has the wow factor. The characters aren't interesting enough to care about and while Ford is good in it you never connect with him being the Deckard from the original.

You never get the feeling this future LA is a bustling metropolis. The original had a viable and all too believable future. The street level scenes in this just don't resonate.

There are some annoying discrepancies that needn't have been in it. The LA Police dept seems to consist of Robin Wright and a few security guards. And how can someone walk into what is supposedly a secure area and steal evidence that apparently could have severe ramifications for mankind?

The hooker 'synching' with M's virtual girlfriend is we'll filmed but dull, unerotic and has all been done before in the film Ghost.

Why does Wallace have to send Deckard off world to torture info out of him? Presumably because it suits the plot and not much else.

And how does K know where and when to track the spinners taking Deckard?

Too many discrepancies that are there to keep the plot moving in the film, so i don't think we are in the presence of a 5 star masterpiece somehow. The film looks and sounds great so it's a shame it's anchored on to a pretty hollow experience.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Jesus, it just clicked this is out on blu-ray and UHD next week. Ridiculously excited to watch this one again.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Jesus, it just clicked this is out on blu-ray and UHD next week. Ridiculously excited to watch this one again.
    It's surprising to me how excited I am to see it a 3rd time. Should be beautiful on 4K.
    jake24 wrote: »
    It's surprising to me how excited I am to see it a 3rd time. Should be beautiful on 4K.

I only caught it the once in IMAX, and it was more than enough to tide me over until the 4K release.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2018 Posts: 10,588

I only caught it the once in IMAX, and it was more than enough to tide me over until the 4K release.
    IMAX was the only way to go with this one. What a tremendous cinematic experience that was.

Anyone know if the steelbook artwork has been released? All I can find are place holders at the moment.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Ridley Scott says he would like to make another one:

“I hope so, I think there is another story. I’ve got another one ready to evolve and be developed, so there is certainly one to be done for sure.”

Can't wait to see it in 30 years

IMAX was the only way to go with this one. What a tremendous cinematic experience that was.

Anyone know if the steelbook artwork has been released? All I can find are place holders at the moment.

It took my ears a solid hour to pop after seeing it. Was my first ever IMAX viewing, and good heavens was that a loud ass movie. The blaster shots were akin to someone firing off a handgun a few inches from my ear.

As for the steelbooks, several countries are getting this one in 4K, and it's the one I have paid off here in the States:

comment_85012_attachment_images_1.jpg

I heavily prefer the UK steelbook, though. Gorgeous, but ridiculously pricy (and I'm assuming will be out of stock eventually):

s-l1600.jpg
    Damn, why couldn't we get that in North America?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Isn’t it a Best Buy?

Isn’t it a Best Buy?
    The nicer one? Don't believe so.
    The first one I posted is the Best Buy exclusive. The latter is from HMV, which isn't located here in the US.
    The first one I posted is the Best Buy exclusive. The latter is from HMV, which isn't located here in the US.
    Damn, it just went under in Canada.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    You never get the feeling this future LA is a bustling metropolis. The original had a viable and all too believable future. The street level scenes in this just don't resonate.
    Yes. For me, perhaps the main source of enjoyment from Blade Runner comes from "visiting" that city. I missed seeing it more in the sequel, since so much of it took place outside of it. You didn't really get to see the populated streets too much.
    00Agent wrote: »

“I hope so, I think there is another story. I’ve got another one ready to evolve and be developed, so there is certainly one to be done for sure.”

In 30 years we´d at least be sure that Scott wouldn´t go the Prometheus route with it.

boldfinger wrote: »
    00Agent wrote: »

In 30 years we´d at least be sure that Scott wouldn´t go the Prometheus route with it.

In 30 years, we'd be sure that Scott wouldn't go any route with it, as he'd be 110 years old.