Blade Runner 2049/Blade Runner 2099 Live-Action Sequel Series Discussion

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    00Agent wrote: »
    Ridley Scott says he would like to make another one:

“I hope so, I think there is another story. I’ve got another one ready to evolve and be developed, so there is certainly one to be done for sure.”

Can't wait to see it in 30 years
    In 30 years we´d at least be sure that Scott wouldn´t go the Prometheus route with it.

In 30 years, we'd be sure that Scott wouldn't go any route with it, as he'd be 110 years old.

A replicant copy of Scott could do it. I am sure we are there by then.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,690

“I hope so, I think there is another story. I’ve got another one ready to evolve and be developed, so there is certainly one to be done for sure.”

In 30 years we´d at least be sure that Scott wouldn´t go the Prometheus route with it.

In 30 years, we'd be sure that Scott wouldn't go any route with it, as he'd be 110 years old.

That's true, at that age he might only have about 10 upcoming projects on his schedule, so he probably won't have the time to make Blade Runner 3. ;)
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 5,767

That´s my point ;-).

Although to be fair, the Weyland-Tyrell connection could even be somewhat interesting.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Ford will still be alive ?
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Yeah sure, because it will be an inbetweenquel ;-). They will rejuvenate Ford like they did Rachel in this one.
    Watched this again recently and my opinion hasn't changed. It's a decent enough effort at a sequel to one of the best science fiction films ever made. But it's not the masterpiece fawning critics would have you believe.

It's almost too respectful of the original's look and feel and it could be described as being a Replicant of the original. The story is interesting enough up to a point but there is nothing in this that really has the wow factor. The characters aren't interesting enough to care about and while Ford is good in it you never connect with him being the Deckard from the original.

You never get the feeling this future LA is a bustling metropolis. The original had a viable and all too believable future. The street level scenes in this just don't resonate.

There are some annoying discrepancies that needn't have been in it. The LA Police dept seems to consist of Robin Wright and a few security guards. And how can someone walk into what is supposedly a secure area and steal evidence that apparently could have severe ramifications for mankind?

The hooker 'synching' with M's virtual girlfriend is we'll filmed but dull, unerotic and has all been done before in the film Ghost.

Why does Wallace have to send Deckard off world to torture info out of him? Presumably because it suits the plot and not much else.

And how does K know where and when to track the spinners taking Deckard?

Too many discrepancies that are there to keep the plot moving in the film, so i don't think we are in the presence of a 5 star masterpiece somehow. The film looks and sounds great so it's a shame it's anchored on to a pretty hollow experience.

Agree totally with this! Was really looking forward to Blade Runner 2049 and was disappointed. Its no where near what i was expecting.
    Blade Runner is far superior!
    This film is thematically better than the original and the way it shows off the World is better than the original, as well as the visuals and cinematography which are amazing. So this film ranks higher and higher for me every day, it started at a 6/10 and is always getting higher it’s somewhere like an 8 or a 9 now. However there are sequences in this film that are unforgivably slow for no reason and it really takes me out of the film and that is why the first films is superior.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    After a rewatch, I would say....

If Blade Runner 2049 had lost 20-25 minutes from its runtime - simply by shortening scenes rather than excising it - it would have been as good as the original.

As is, it's a just a very good film and a solid sequel to one of the best ever made with some beautiful moments, powerful acting and wonderful visuals.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Was really looking forward to Blade Runner 2049 and was disappointed. Its no where near what i was expecting.
    Blade Runner is to Blade Runner 2049 what Thunderball is to Never Say Never Again.
    And yet - the blu ray beckons me. Strange thing.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The problem with this new one in my view is the characters aren't quite as interesting. There's nothing to really hold onto. Nobody dynamic. I didn't realize it upon first viewing on the big IMAX screen (when I was blown away by the experience), but when I saw it recently for the 2nd time on the small screen I noticed it. Those who pointed that out in the early commentary about the film on this thread were correct imho. Deckard is arguably the most compelling character in this one and he doesn't show up until much later.

Moreover, the film has somewhat limited rewatchability, because once one knows that K isn't human, the earlier part of the film and the 'big reveal' about his status later on just don't have the same impact on repeat viewing, again imho.

I think it's much more of a visual experience than a philosophical one. The first film works on multiple planes.
    Agree. Blade Runner had wonderful characters. All very memorable and had great scenes. The sequel really only had Gosling and Ford! Dont recall any of the other actors!
    It's easy to be drawn into the visual side but, in terms of pure craft, its the story and characters that count for me and BR is just a great story. I can imagine it on a much smaller budget (like Moon or Silent Running) and the story would still be compelling.
    I love Leto and his character tho
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I love Leto and his character tho

I thought Leto was one of the weaker aspects....
    If I could have a film of just Leto and his character I would take it
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Leto was solid, in my opinion. Played the role well; the man can act, but damn was his whole take on the Joker in SS terrible. Was happy to see him rebound with something like this.

This is out on 4K, blu-ray, and DVD tomorrow!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Leto was solid, in my opinion. Played the role well; the man can act, but damn was his whole take on the Joker in SS terrible. Was happy to see him rebound with something like this.

Steelbook should be coming in tomorrow. Can't wait to give it another watch.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Leto was good, even if his character was a bit stock-villainish. The big difference between him and Tyrell in the original film (aside from the fact that Tyrell wasn't really nasty whereas Wallace was a bit more active in that department) was a matter of understanding. Batty's mission forced Tyrell to have an arc where he came to learn and suffer from his creations. Wallace doesn't seem to give a shit and has a very clear goal from the outset like a typical villain - he seems to know exactly why everything is happening and is therefore less interesting because of it.

Leto was fine in the part though, and I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the way he used his eyes didn't creep me out.
    Leto was given nothing to do, his charater was paper thin, IMHO
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Was really looking forward to Blade Runner 2049 and was disappointed. Its no where near what i was expecting.
    Blade Runner is to Blade Runner 2049 what Thunderball is to Never Say Never Again.
    I wouldn t say that. More like The Godfather and The Godfather Part II.

Yes. Then if they do a third Blade Runner it may unfortunately end up how Godfather Part III did.

Isn't Godfather II considered one of the greatest sequels of all time? I still think it's better than the first one personally.
    That was my point, that they are equally good.
    Oh, right. I think we will only really know in time. Give it about 10 years. Only then will we know whether it's that or a 2010 scenario.
    I know already. 2010 was never in the vicinity of 2001.
    My 4K just came in the mail. Fishing for excuses to get off work early so I can watch it.
    Say you are sick.

As in sick of work.
    2010 was so bad it retroactively made 2001 a better film in my mind. Even though it’s still a pretentious load of shite
    Say you are sick.

As in sick of work.

Good idea!

"I have diarrhea...and I'm sick of work? No, wait, that wasn't it..."