Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Hitman
    Marrakesh, I walked away with a 4* rating. Which was surprising, given how I fumbled getting the masseuse clothing. The General(?), I killed by dropping the toilet on him. =))

1. Paris - 'The Showstopper' (Hitman)
    2. Sapienza - 'World Of Tomorrow' (Hitman)
    3. Marrakesh - 'A Gilded Cage' (Hitman)

That's a great way to take him out. It takes a little more work and running around but it's also funny having the two targets meet in front of the APC at the school, then firing it and watching it take out 5-10 goons plus the targets.

Marrakesh has a few elements that would make it a "bad" or not terribly fun map to replay - the market area is gorgeous but packed with too many of those empty NPCs that die in one shot and will never affect your notoriety - but the dangers of the school and the enticing quiet of the consulate amidst rioting and protesting is awesome. I also love the secret underground tunnel connecting the two main locations. It's a map I've played way more than I ever thought I would.

And Sapienza, it goes without saying, is one of the finest maps in the game, though there's no question most of my time in it is spent in the mansion. I could do without the annoying virus destruction sub-objective, as it messes with the flow of the hits, but once you realize just how easy it is to take out, it's not too bad.

Out of those three, my favorite would still be Paris.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Injustice 2
    Great graphics for a beat em up.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Hitman
    Marrakesh, I walked away with a 4* rating. Which was surprising, given how I fumbled getting the masseuse clothing. The General(?), I killed by dropping the toilet on him. =))

That's a great way to take him out. It takes a little more work and running around but it's also funny having the two targets meet in front of the APC at the school, then firing it and watching it take out 5-10 goons plus the targets.

Marrakesh has a few elements that would make it a "bad" or not terribly fun map to replay - the market area is gorgeous but packed with too many of those empty NPCs that die in one shot and will never affect your notoriety - but the dangers of the school and the enticing quiet of the consulate amidst rioting and protesting is awesome. I also love the secret underground tunnel connecting the two main locations. It's a map I've played way more than I ever thought I would.

And Sapienza, it goes without saying, is one of the finest maps in the game, though there's no question most of my time in it is spent in the mansion. I could do without the annoying virus destruction sub-objective, as it messes with the flow of the hits, but once you realize just how easy it is to take out, it's not too bad.

Out of those three, my favorite would still be Paris.

I did that kill with the mounted gun on a previous playthrough, but I couldn't remember the correct path to it.

Hitman

4. Bangkok - 'Club 27' (Hitman)

I wasn't sure where to put Club 27 above or below A Gilded Cage. I also went back to The Showstopper. How the hell do I get Novikov to walk the catwalk? I wanted to assassinate him there with a gun, but after waiting around where the light/sound technicians are for ages, he never took to the catwalk. I assume then, that I have to provoke him there somehow.
    I think Novikov will take the stage after an extended period of time, no setup required, BUT I do think if you activate the diorama in the makeup wing and distract the stylist, you can then poison his drink and take him out of commission/kill him quickly, which should speed up the process. Make sure you have a crowbar and are in position when this happens, because you'll have to go upstairs to get on the light rig (if you're wishing to drop it on his head). It's one of the weaknesses of Paris: some of those opportunities take a LOT of waiting to set up.

And going back to my love for big, major locations, that's probably why I love Bangkok so much. Hotels have always been one of my favorite locales in the games, harking back to Traditions of the Trade in Hitman: Contracts.

My ranking at this point would probably be:

1. Paris
    2. Bangkok
    3. Sapienza
    4. Marrakesh
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2023 Posts: 13,894
    I had a feeling it wouldn't be as straight forward as him walking onto the catwalk himself. :-?

Hitman
    I remember not really liking Colorado in the past. but I have had a change of opinion on it. It feels a little smaller than the other maps, but I like how it's laid out. I came away with a 4 star rating. I panicked at the end (having to go through the door with the face scanner on). I had already put the body in the nearby crate, and couldn't retrieve it. Then I remembered the 3D scanner in the house, that I had used the scanner as a distraction earlier on. I hadn't noticed at the time, that it had printed a face mask.

3. Colorado - 'Freedom Fighters' (Hitman)
    4. Marrakesh - 'A Gilded Cage' (Hitman)
    5. Bangkok - 'Club 27' (Hitman)

I have also been playing Train Life: A Simulator, as my first PS5 game. It isn't as easy to get the hang of as Train Sim World is. Most of the gameplay mechanics, we are held by the hand through, but others are vague or not explained at all. But over those initial hurdles, it's a nice change of pace, but your eyes need to be in 4 places at once. There's so much you have to watch for at the same time.
    Colorado's unique in that it's just one big circle that encompasses a ton of danger. For me, Colorado is one of my favorite maps for going all-out in gunfights and combat, considering mayyyybe 1-2% of the NPCs on the map are non-hostile. It's a blast.

I also thought I messed up that first time, only to recognize the mask generator machine. Very cool idea there.

For me now, it's:

1. Paris
    2. Bangkok
    3. Sapienza
    4. Colorado
    5. Marrakesh

I could maybe even swap Colorado and Sapienza. The latter is so picturesque and beautiful but the only place I actually enjoy is the mansion. The rest of it feels a bit too aimless or unnecessary, particularly all the streets, shops and the huge church/beach area. It's pointless, unless you want to go to great lengths to lead your targets there.
    I am ok with the backstreets and the church in Sapienza, though I suppose they could have done a bit more with them. Maybe place a target there, or something. Putting a target in the church, maybe hiding out as a man of the cloth, would make a neat twist/reference to the opening of Hitman 2: Silent Assassin. It's the lab area that I don't like.
    edited June 2023 Posts: 40,473
    The contracts make much, much better use of those outlying areas, I'll give them that, but it's just a bit too big for how constrained most of the targets and objectives are. Honestly, it's a map better suited for at least one extra target, if not another two or three.

Totally agreed on the SA comparison. That opening level, despite being entirely devoid of violence, is so atmospheric and a great way to kick off the story of the game. I love it so much. Then it's followed up with Anathema, one of my all-time favorite missions in the entire series.
    Hitman: World Of Assassin
    Completed Hokkaido, but only got a 2 star rating. I was expecting 3-4 stars. I knew that it wouldn't be 5 stars, but still.

***4. Hokkaido - 'Situs Inversus' (Hitman)***
    5. Marrakesh - 'A Gilded Cage' (Hitman)
    6. Bangkok - 'Club 27' (Hitman)

That's all of the Hitman maps, next up, Hitman 2...
    You've arrived at my favorite looking map of the first game! I think I enjoy The Showstopper more for its level layout and amount of NPCs but Hokkaido is so beautiful looking and fun to explore.

1. Paris
    2. Hokkaido
    3. Bangkok
    4. Sapienza
    5. Colorado
    6. Marrakesh

I'm looking forward to your ranking and thoughts on the H2 maps.
    Hitman: World Of Assassination
    I have been grinding out Colorado to level 15, so I can unlock the suppressed rifle. But the last thing I did, was complete the opening map of Hitman 2, Hawks Bay. This isn't new to me, as I have already played Hitman 2, before World Of Assassination. I like the atmosphere through this map*. The storm clouds over the mountains, the crack of lightening, and boom of thunder. But it's such a tiny map. Played on it's own, it would be a perfectly fine intro to Hitman 2, but played as part of the trilogy, following the maps of the first game, it's... well the layout is so bare.

4. Hokkaido - 'Situs Inversus' (Hitman)
    ***5. Hawks Bay - 'Nightcall' (Hitman 2)***
    6. Marrakesh - 'A Gilded Cage' (Hitman)
    7. Bangkok - 'Club 27' (Hitman)

*Makes me wish that there was a dynamic weather system. Imagine the storm blowing in halfway through. The first signs being the rain lashing against the window. The storm would reduce visibility, improving chances of stealth, but making any long range shots risky. That is if there was more to the map than one house.
    That TAC-4 S/A that you unlock through Colorado Mastery is the only gun I need. Deadly, wildly accurate, and very silent. There's a suppressed version of the AK-type variant unlocked elsewhere throughout the series that is better if you prefer a full auto option. I just love them.

And yes, Hawke's Bay is absolutely beautiful to look at, has a haunting feel to it with its imbalanced layout and dark nighttime atmosphere, but it's too small and over too quick. I enjoy it as a map but I remember shelling out $100 for the Gold Edition and feeling cheated that, out of six launch maps, one of them is so disappointingly tiny, little more than a prologue-type mission setup. It's still fun but I think it would've felt better if it had a few different houses and buildings lining the beach, maybe a couple of bunkers or secret tunnels connecting them, a boathouse and dock area, etc. A lot of promise but felt like corner cutting to me.

My ranking:

1. Paris
    2. Hokkaido
    3. Bangkok
    4. Sapienza
    5. Colorado
    6. Marrakesh
    7. Hawke's Bay
    :-O HOW MUCH???? Ooof... yeah, I I guess if you'd spent that much (what, about... £75 to £80?), you would feel a bit ripped off.

I haven't used any full auto weapons, I feel like if I have to resort to them, then I am not playing it right. I had enough of that with Hitman: Abomination. I really didn't like that one. However, the scoped and suppressed rifle is a must, I feel.
    :-O HOW MUCH???? Ooof... yeah, I I guess if you'd spent that much (what, about... £75 to £80?), you would feel a bit ripped off.

I haven't used any full auto weapons, I feel like if I have to resort to them, then I am not playing it right. I had enough of that with Hitman: Abomination. I really didn't like that one. However, the scoped and suppressed rifle is a must, I feel.

I've always loved the series so much, so hearing that I could get the sequel to this latest trilogy not only early but I'd get all the DLC? I had no problem shelling out that much.

Sadly, that extra money was essentially useless, since the Gold Edition was probably half off in price by the time the DLC came out. I was so jaded by the experience (and having not loved it as much as its predecessor) that it took me years to return to it to finally check out the DLC I had paid for. Won't ever make that mistake again!

And yes, full auto weapons definitely isn't the "right" way to play but after having learned essentially all routes and done all of the opportunities and challenges, it's nice to shake things up with some chaos and destruction.
    Is everyone ready for a Nintendo Direct this week?
    I won't be, I haven't played Nintendo since the Gamecube (which was my least favourite console of that generation).

I managed to grind out Colarado on Hitman: World Of Assassination to level 15, and unlocked the Sieger 300 (suppressed rifle). Now I have to grind Miami (which happens to be the next map), to level 10, so that I can unlock the suitcase to carry it into missions in.
    Pack your Lockpick and Fiber Wire, because we're off to....

It took me around 5 attempts in all, but I got Miami to Mastery level 10, at last I have the case to pack my rifle into. Now I can make Strawberry Jam of my targets.

Even though I have never been into Formula... 1* (would this be classed as F1?). I find this to be an awkward make to learn to navigate at first, on account of the race track running the centre, leaving.... two routes(?) across the map. Other than that, I have no other issues with it, it's a fun map.

***3. Miami - 'The Finish Line' (Hitman 2)***
    4. Colorado - 'Freedom Fighters' (Hitman)
    5. Hokkaido - 'Situs Inversus' (Hitman)
    6. Hawke's Bay - 'Nightcall' (Hitman 2)
    7. Marrakesh - 'A Gilded Cage' (Hitman)
    8. Bangkok - 'Club 27' (Hitman)

*The only motorsport I have paid much attention to, is the WRC, and I haven't watched that in years.

That's exactly why I don't like it: it's unnecessarily large, including a huge border to the map that includes little of worth and ends up making the map such a pain in the ass to traverse. Even if you remember all the cheeky little stairwells and tucked away hidden doors, it's still a nightmare to walk through. It looks nice, I love how rowdy and alive the map feels, but the design itself is pretty weak and it's not one I really love replaying.

My ranking:

1. Paris
    2. Hokkaido
    3. Bangkok
    4. Sapienza
    5. Colorado
    6. Marrakesh
    7. Hawke's Bay
    8. Miami

Two maps in and they already sit at the bottom of my ranking. My disappointment with the second game comes into full view now, and that's just based off the maps.
    edited June 2023 Posts: 13,894
    I only have those issues starting out. Once I have committed the layout of the map to memory, it's not a problem.

I have finally decided to try and go for the plat on Yakuza 0 (I might have said this before, but this time it's happening). I reckon that I could do it in two more playthroughs, and 100% the game completely. First playthrough on Easy mode, doing all substories and mini games, max out all skills for Kiryu and Majima. That'll unlock the Legendary difficulty and NewGame+. With all skills carried over, all I have to do then, is focus on the story and survive Legendary difficulty (which I have never tried, so I don't know how hard it'll be).
    I am already underway on my Easy playthrough, on Chapter 2. And I discovered something that I wasn't aware of in any previous playthroughs. If you find Mr Shakedown, sleeping, you can actually steal money from him. But steal too much, and he wakes up to challenge you to a fight (I say 'challenge' he doesn't give you a choice)..... I won. My only problem, is the Cabaret Club, it's so addictive, that I always get side tracked. I hope that in a years time, I am not making this exact post again.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2023 Posts: 23,375
    XIII-Remake-Free-Download.jpg

XIII-Remake-new-screenshots-4.jpg
    I loved the original XIII game unfortunately the remake is a misfire, it looks pretty awful so far. At times it is difficult to make out where the enemy is in certain locations and the targeting seems off. Thankfully I bought it at sale price on STEAM.

---

Played a bit of Tomb Raider Legend, I am at the King Arthur Tomb section, I don't remember much about this part of the game. The next gen graphics don't really enhance this section much (playing on PC), other sections of the game look much better in comparison.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I didn't have those issues when I replayed it; it had been a stupidly long time since I played the original so I was blinded by nostalgia as I made my way through it. I couldn't put the controller down, blew through the entire remake in a day. It was great to return to, and I think I only paid about $10-15 for it during a PlayStation sale.

As for me, I'm back to being burnt out on games and not feeling the urge to play one. I'm deep into another bout of film obsession now.
    I never played the original XIII (next time I am in my local independent game shop, i'll see if they have it in stock for PS2). I have almost bought the remake on a number of occasions. But all of the negative reviews put me off. Maybe when it falls around the £15 mark, i'll take another look.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I didn't have those issues when I replayed it; it had been a stupidly long time since I played the original so I was blinded by nostalgia as I made my way through it. I couldn't put the controller down, blew through the entire remake in a day. It was great to return to, and I think I only paid about $10-15 for it during a PlayStation sale.

As for me, I'm back to being burnt out on games and not feeling the urge to play one. I'm deep into another bout of film obsession now.

Going to adjust some of my AMD settings on my PC maybe that will help, just watched a few reviews of the remake it appears some have had similar issues with the game and some others have not mentioned it.
    It sounds like it's either a PC issue or I was simply having too much fun to recognize any issues it had.
    Playing my STEAM games through my Xbox One X, many of these STEAM games I have not played on 4K and through my Dolby Atmos so its been fun, my PC monitors are only 1080p. Just started playing a bit of Halo Anniversary from my Master Chief collection.
    I was on the verge of buying an Xbox Series X and only just realized it does not have HDMI pass through wt... I will stick with my Xbox One X a while longer, pass through is a feature I use a lot on the Xbox One X.

Another fun map, and easy to navigate too.

***3. Santa Fortuna 'Three-Headed Serpent' (Hitman 2)***
    4. Miami - 'The Finish Line' (Hitman 2)
    5. Colorado - 'Freedom Fighters' (Hitman)
    6. Hokkaido - 'Situs Inversus' (Hitman)
    7. Hawke's Bay - 'Nightcall' (Hitman 2)
    8. Marrakesh - 'A Gilded Cage' (Hitman)
    9. Bangkok - 'Club 27' (Hitman)

Another fun map, and easy to navigate too.

***3. Santa Fortuna 'Three-Headed Serpent' (Hitman 2)***
    4. Miami - 'The Finish Line' (Hitman 2)
    5. Colorado - 'Freedom Fighters' (Hitman)
    6. Hokkaido - 'Situs Inversus' (Hitman)
    7. Hawke's Bay - 'Nightcall' (Hitman 2)
    8. Marrakesh - 'A Gilded Cage' (Hitman)
    9. Bangkok - 'Club 27' (Hitman)

Santa Fortuna is another one that looks pretty but has way too much running around for my tastes, especially when it comes to those endless tunnels and all the grassy hills and paths you can follow. For me, it's another H2 map that feels like each individual location would be better as its own, smaller, more contained map versus piling it all into one area. That mansion area (shocker) is sweet though.

My ranking:

1. Paris
    2. Hokkaido
    3. Bangkok
    4. Sapienza
    5. Colorado
    6. Marrakesh
    7. Hawke's Bay
    8. Santa Fortuna
    9. Miami
    Today marks 2 years since River, the dog that provided voice and motion capture for Fallout 4's Dogmeat, crossed Rainbow Bridge.

cadad2728fd84bf472ae5ec7ba01e582--dogmeat-voice-actor.jpg

I loaded up my Fallout 4 save from January (story completed, but still side quests left to do), went to collect Dogmeat, and went on some side quests. River might have gone to a better place, but she will live on in the hearts of players as Dogmeat.
    What a sweetheart, I didn't know she had passed two years back. I loved having her as a companion in the game, always fun.