Scenes in the James Bond Films that make you squeamish?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I don't know about squeamish, but the torture scene in SP makes me uncomfortable. Perhaps it's Bond screaming (first time I've seen Craig Bond let it out like that) or what not, but I did fidget in my seat in the theatre.

Strangely, I didn't feel quite the same way about the ball whacker scene in CR, even with the squelching sound on that first hit. Oh, ok, that did make me uneasy too, but I am more surprised by my reaction to the SP scene.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @bondjames, you must've missed the nut whipping scene in CR, then! Craig really lets it out there.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @Creasy47, no I remember him screaming in CR, but to me it seemed more in control somehow. It could have been because I liked his comeback jokes more there. Or maybe there was something about the clinical almost medical setting in SP that recalled a dental appointment or something. I just find it very uncomfortable, to the extent that I wish it actually wasn't in the film.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I get sqeamish with anything involving drills ! So was very uncomfortable
    watching the torture send in SP.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If you ever want a squeamish clinical/medical scene, check out 'Marathon Man' if you've yet to.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I always wince when Freelance breaks the flashbulb and drags it across Quarrel's face in Dr No.

Looks very painful!
    It certainly does. Quarrel's reaction to it is priceless though.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    If you ever want a squeamish clinical/medical scene, check out 'Marathon Man' if you've yet to.
    Yes, I've seen that. Classic, and the SP scene reminds me a little of it.

I think another thing about the SP scene is the way they lit it. Apart from the 'hospital' overtones, there was this sort of bright light effect, which suggested to me (subconsciously at first) what it would be like as you finally bite it and are about to go over to the other side. Ominous. Strange that it had this effect, because I always knew the Omega was there to save the day eventually since they flashed it a couple of seconds into the scene.

Bottom line - I would have preferred a scene where Bond wasn't screaming like this. It touched a nerve in a way that Connery yelling on the rack in TB or Craig in CR didn't for some reason.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Seeing LALD at the tender age of six scared the crap out of me!

When Kananga starts pulling the latex mask off i thought he was ripping his own face off to impress Bond!!!!

Still loved it though!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Silva caressing Bond's legs...almost makes me throw up everytime.

Krest exploding, I actually always look away.

Grace Jones getting naked...that probably makes the straightest guy gay :))
    I'm not really the squeamish type, but Vesper opening her mouth to let the water pour in her lungs and then her grasping, eyes wide open, is a scene I find very hard to watch.

It looks incredibly real and I still wonder how they did that. If anyone could fill me in on that, I would be grateful - it would make the scene more bearable.

Greene chopping into his own foot also makes me feel it a little.
    I'm not really the squeamish type, but Vesper opening her mouth to let the water pour in her lungs and then her grasping, eyes wide open, is a scene I find very hard to watch.

It looks incredibly real and I still wonder how they did that. If anyone could fill me in on that, I would be grateful - it would make the scene more bearable.

Yes, the foot chopping is quite hard to watch.
    Eva Green just may be the greatest living actress. (Sorry, Meryl)
    She can do anything believable, I think it is not CGI, it looks like she was in the water for this scene.
    I'm pretty sure of that: I imagine the flow of her hair and clothes would be next to impossible to do in CGI.

Only 25 years old in CR, but what a presence on the screen. Craig was very lucky to get this co-star in his first Bond-outing.
    Only 25 years old in CR, but what a presence on the screen. Craig was very lucky to get this co-star in his first Bond-outing.
    Agreed. I saw her first in Kingdom of Heaven and thought she had potential. When I heard she had been cast in CR I was overjoyed. Holds the screen and owns every scene she's in, but she has become a little typecast (at least in English language films) since unfortunately.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Agreed. I saw her first in Kingdom of Heaven and thought she had potential. When I heard she had been cast in CR I was overjoyed. Holds the screen and owns every scene she's in, but she has become a little typecast (at least in English language films) since unfortunately.

As Bertolucci is one of my favourite directors I got "Dreamers" in 2003, the very first movie of Eva Green. Of course I never thought that she would get that successful and famous. I was quite fascinated by Louis Garrel, the French young actor.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited April 2016 Posts: 6,781
    "Moneypenny, a feast for my eyes."
    "What about the rest of you?"

Brrrrrr. Like watching your grandparents flirt.
    One that hasn't been mentioned : Bibi Dahl throwing herself in Bond's arms.

Worse than that : she then says that Kristatos won't have her because he's too old. Let's see :

Julian Glover was born in 1935. Sir Roger was born in 1927. Not so consistant, is she ?

And of course, I felt the pain during that CR '06 scene. Ouch !
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Troy wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Lastly, no joke, I get very uncomfortable at the opening of the Title Sequence of SP, where Bond is standing like a mannequin with his shirt off. I don't think I'm being homophobic, he's been shirtless plenty before, but something there seems off and inappropriate and I feel squeamish. It makes me squirm.

Seriously?

Wow, what is it with Americans and nudity....?

Nothing, I'm naked right now.

Yes, the foot chopping is quite hard to watch.
    Eva Green just may be the greatest living actress. (Sorry, Meryl)
    She can do anything believable, I think it is not CGI, it looks like she was in the water for this scene.

No, it is not CGI. They shot it on set under water. You can see it in the bonus material for CR if I don't remember incorrectly.
  • I don't know about squeamish, but certainly the first time I saw LTK back in theatres of 1989, I was taken aback by the suddenly not-so-censored kills. I think there were quite a few younger people there too, since the last couple films weren't anywhere near as brutal and they'd have no idea of what they were about to watch.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    When Denise Richards says she's a nuclear physicist. Most painful moment of the series.
    Quite a few find the needle-torture-scene in SP quite haunting, and it suddenly occurred to me. In the entire franchise, Bond is often threatened with torture (DN, GF and the laser, YOLT with surgical implements, snipping of his finger in LALD ...), but to my recollection Craig is the only one who truly undergoes the torture and experiences physical pain. Twice no less: the ball-wrecking scene in CR was also quite gruesome.

The only exception might be Brosnan in TWINE, when he's on the choking chair.

It fits in with the drive for reality in the Craig-era. He may look tough, but showing that Bond can be subject to excruciating pain, intensifies his character and his will for survival all the more.

Have I missed any actual torture scenes in previous movies?
    Or am I reading too much into this?
    Have I missed any actual torture scenes in previous movies?
    Or am I reading too much into this?
    Well there was Connery on the rack in Shrublands in TB. However, as I mentioned earlier, I still found the Craig scene in SP more discomforting, primarily because of his screaming. I don't know why.
    Right, I'd forgotten the one in TB. As I said before, I think the scream wants to convey to the audience that this is not a super human, but a man who does experience pain, who can be damaged and can be terminated. Making his constant survival all the more intense.

Connery looks very uncomfortable on the rack, but it doesn't look as excruciating as the Craig tortures.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    I'd call it realistic too, until the part where Craig just slaughters the goons like it's nothing on his way out.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Grace Jones getting naked...that probably makes the straightest guy gay :))
    Man, she is all kinds of hot. Just not your cup of Earle Grey I guess.
    :D
  • The underwater scene in LTK is absolutely perfect. So much desperation and claustrophobia in the way that it escalates so quickly. Made me really truly scared for Bond in that moment. If only all the underwater scenes in TB got to the point as quickly.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    The underwater scene in LTK is absolutely perfect. So much desperation and claustrophobia in the way that it escalates so quickly. Made me really truly scared for Bond in that moment. If only all the underwater scenes in TB got to the point as quickly.

Yes, I agree that the LTK scene is more tightly edited with less faffing about than there is in TB.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    According to the James Bond Archives, Peter Hunt had a rough edit of about six-ish minutes, for the underwater stuff at the climax. He showed it to the Cubby and Harry, and it was on their insistence that the climax was extended, as they had shot reels and reels of the stuff.
    royale65 wrote: »
    According to the James Bond Archives, Peter Hunt had a rough edit of about six-ish minutes, for the underwater stuff at the climax. He showed it to the Cubby and Harry, and it was on their insistence that the climax was extended, as they had shot reels and reels of the stuff.

Thanks for that information, @royale65. I didn't know that! :)
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I am watching THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH, how could I not have mentioned Renard pulling that piece of glas (or is it wood?) out of his hand?

Yes, I agree that that scene is nasty and difficult to watch. Don't know how I missed that one actually!