RIP Sir Ken Adam (1921-2016)

JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
edited March 2016 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,151
Just read the awful news that legendary set designer Ken Adam has passed away. I thought this worthy of a separate thread due to his impact on the series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35780260

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Wow, what a loss. George Martin yesterday and Ken Adam today, definitely a huge blow to the series. Thanks for all of your breathtaking and impressive work, Ken. All those insane sets never ceased to amaze me.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Quite right. His work still has me in awe to this day. Wonderful.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    RIP Ken Adam.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    He is legend.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    A massive blow. Your work will always live on Sir Ken Adam.

Another Bondian great dies.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Sad news. RIP to a legend.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This is very sad indeed. Sometimes epitaphs are misused, but in this case 'legend' is woefully insufficient to describe this man's contributions to film and Bond in particular.

I have actually missed you since 1979, like I had Barry since 1987.

You are definitely one of the greats. RIP Sir, and thank you for everything.

I'll be watching Dr No tonight in honour.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Such impeccable taste. And what a genius.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    An utter legend, up there with Cubby, John Barry and Connery as the true legends of the series.

Those sets were incredible and shows that CGI will never be better than the real thing.

RIP.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's more than fair to say that the words "Ken Adam" and "legend" should go hand-in-hand. If there was ever a word to describe him, I'd say that one fits perfectly.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Watching YOLT tonight.
    I always felt, it was Ken Adam's masterpiece.
    This will be a special viewing now.

He defined the looks of a Bond movie, his villain's lairs are unmatched even outside the franchise.

Very sad, he has passed. His legacy, also outside the franchise, is enormous.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Damn...Sir Ken was an architectural and construction pioneer. RIP to a man who really had a unique vision for design.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    RIP to an awesome Production Designer that gave all the films he worked on a very unique and one of a kind style. He truly was a legend.
    With him and John Barry no longer among us we can easily say that an era of 007 greatness is gone forever, thank some deity for his inheritance which we can enjoy for centuries to come.

Rest in Peace
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I will watch Barry Lyndon tonight after YOLT. I just have to.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2016 Posts: 13,894
    RIP Sir Ken, a critical component in the Bond machine.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    BOND-IN-MOTION-montage-5-1024x318.jpg
    Ken Adam with his follow up Peter Lamont and Dennis Gassner & producers.

RIP...
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    A very sad day for we have lost another of Bonds founding fathers a huge talent and a very brave and decent human being maybe he's gone to that great volcano in the sky (the one he built earlier ) or maybe he's up in the clouds flying Chitty around Sir Ken wherever you are at rest Thankyou for all that you have done for us for Bond and in the service of this country God Bless.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    This really is a blow. I realise that 95 is a grand age to achieve, but Sir Ken Adam was something different. A most remarkable man who not only gave the Bond films an epic scale and class more so than any other British film at the time, but made them look visually stunning. His sets were legendary and his contribution to the Bond series is as great as that as Cubby and Harry and John Barry. Simply stated Ken Adam is one of the most important members of who made the Bond films work and last so long.
    Add to that his amazing background, one of the few German born pilots to fly for the RAF in World War 2.
    He was always so pleasant in interviews, always a sense of humour and a man you could see was a really nice person. He had very a jovial likable manner. And as others have said, the Bond films are noticeably different after 1979. They never looked the same again. And with the passing of this great man, sadly films will never look the same again.
    RIP Sir Ken Adam, nobody did it better.
  • RC7RC7
    Genius.

One of my biggest influences and the reason I got into Bond.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Well said @Benny
  • Truly one of the founding fathers of the cinematic Bond. Rest in Peace, Sir Ken.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Just came on to pay condolences to the main man. RIP sir ken. Up the reds!
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Devastating news.

RIP Ken Adam. Thank you for the best sets in cinematic history.
    Rip to an absolute legand. Probably the best production designer (at least IMO) of all time
    Bond was just a small part of his legendary body of work. Truly, one of the great ones has left us. I can only think that the creaor wanted his opinion on the creation of a new, hopefully better world. RIP, Sir Kenneth.
    Requiescat in pace.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    And there goes another person that made history.

Thank you, Ken Adam, for your genius you've lent for all the people to see and be inspired by. Rest in Peace, sir.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    A sad day for us, Bond fans.
    Ken Adam shaped the world of Bond.
    He made reality a fantasy and vice versa.
    RIP, Ken Adam. You are forever in our heart
    And we are forever in your debt.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    @ Dimi a most eloquent post and one truly deserved well done.