RIP Sir Ken Adam (1921-2016)

13»

Comments

• fjdinardo wrote: »
    Does anybody know why he never came back to Bond after Moonraker?

Ken Adam as quoted by Adrian Turner in the 1998 book Adrian Turner on Goldfinger (page 13):

"They're not only a design challenge, which didn't worry me, but the whole logistics and organisation did -- when you had sometimes four units shooting all over the world at the same time and you had to service those units with props, with sets, whatever. The production team had changed and, in my opinion, not for the better -- except for Cubby Broccoli who is an old friend and who I worked for even before the Bonds. I just not would have felt with some of the new people involved. Also, I like to think that by then I had reached a stage in my career when, as a rule, I only do the films I want to do."

• RC7RC7
    I will hopefully get around to adding some content to this thread, but it will take a while. Ken Adam was the greatest production designer of all time. And that isn't hyperbole.
    fjdinardo wrote: »

Ken Adam as quoted by Adrian Turner in the 1998 book Adrian Turner on Goldfinger (page 13):

"They're not only a design challenge, which didn't worry me, but the whole logistics and organisation did -- when you had sometimes four units shooting all over the world at the same time and you had to service those units with props, with sets, whatever. The production team had changed and, in my opinion, not for the better -- except for Cubby Broccoli who is an old friend and who I worked for even before the Bonds. I just not would have felt with some of the new people involved. Also, I like to think that by then I had reached a stage in my career when, as a rule, I only do the films I want to do."

Very interesting
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    fjdinardo wrote: »

Very interesting and thanks for sharing.

It does seem that the production of the films changed. I won't necessarily agree with Adam that it was for worse, it was just different. A more minimalist approach with a focus on landscapes over big set pieces. I thought it worked quite well in FYEO and TLD particularly.

That being said, when Bond went back to over the top in the 90's with the Brosnan era, the series could have greatly benefited by bringing Adam back. I love the work Peter Lamont did, but there did seem to be an 'it' factor missing from the big set pieces in the 90's era Bonds. Similarly, the sets were good, but not great in TND where Allan Cameron was the PD. Imagine the Stealth Boat if designed by Adam, 20 years after the super tanker from Spy.