Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

I'm rewatching som episodes from the fifth season of Sopranos. It is a show that really helps me through some difficult times, I don't know why but is me personal therapy. I find amusing the little parallels it has with some particular situations in my life.
    Bond is therapeutic but in it's own way, like a diversion or escapism from the real world, while Sopranos come closer to mundane feature of life.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Breaking Bad

It was only last Friday that I came home, excited for Spring Break and started to journey into a show that I had heard nothing but brilliant things about across the board. For years it was Breaking Bad this, Breaking Bad that, but I caught it so late that I thought, why watch it now so late in the game? After recently trying out Netflix and enjoying its features, I took a dive into the show I had so long held at bay, and could never have foreseen what was ahead.

It's obvious above all that this is a fantastic show, as anyone who has seen it will tell you. I think anyone who likes quality entertainment and a suspenseful, drama-fueled roller-coaster ride would find a lot to love in this program, but for me it went above all that. Sure, the mystery is great, sure the drama is biting and sure, the technical sides of the camerawork and overall style of the show are commendable, but there are two things that always goes beyond everything else for me: characters and story. A show is nothing if it doesn't contain characters you find some stake in, either to cheer them on or doom their very soul, and a story that takes you on such a mad and crazy ride that you feel physically worn by the end of it. This show did all that, and more.

Breaking Bad presents viewers with a wide assortment of characters whose actions gray morality in the most extreme cases possible. You see men and women acting in reckless ways, illegal ways, and sometimes, violent ways where people end up getting killed, and yet, you connect to them because they are doing it for the right reasons, and in Walter's case, to provide for his family. Walter White is unlike any character I have ever come across, who I can like one moment and wish the demise of the next. He's the perfect exemplification of what we all can be sometimes, both good and bad. He represents the complexity of human nature and how we can sometimes lose track of the things we love the most in trying to protect them. We each have our own wishes and ambitions in life, and sometimes those dreams are dashed or made harder. Sometimes we are thrown curve-balls that we never see coming, and sometimes we say the wrong thing to someone we love or make a mistake that affects those beyond us.

This show portrays morality and its cloudiness so well it's unbelievable, and as an aspiring writer, I commend the story that the creators and writers of the show have formed, one unlike any I have ever come across. Everything was so finely paced through five brilliant seasons, all until the very last flashes of credits which left me in a state of catatonia.

I finished all five seasons of this show, watched all 62 episodes of nearly an hour each in length within the span of just 6 days. As I sit here, still pondering everything I have just witnessed in the past several days, I am still in a state of catatonia, my eyes sore from tears shed along the way and my body heavy from the journey I have taken with these characters. I loved this show, and count it as one of the greatest achievements in entertainment history for its portrayal of all that I find interesting, including morality, family and trust with characters so finely sculpted that you were invested in every single one, no matter how minor. Each episode left me hungry for more, and I became an obsessive addict to find out what happened next as I binged for hours upon hours. Having said all that, this show made me feel intense emotion because of just how unrelenting and powerful it is in its every script, so much so that I don't know if I will ever revisit it again.

Breaking Bad is like a great novel, one that shakes you so fiercely and connects you to the equal measures of barbarianism and humanity that are present in each of us so well that after finishing it you just... get it. You feel a sense of completion where what you have seen has truthfully impacted you and made you sit in silence thinking about your own life, and what you would do for your family if put in a certain situation. The lessons you learn are weighty, causing you to back away from the art itself because of its strength and separate yourself from the story for a while. Whether or not I ever return to the grand and tragic, powerful and haunting story of Walter White, it is certain that I will never forget Breaking Bad, its assortment of characters and the crazy journey that has impacted me greatly ever since I hit play.

I would highly recommend this show to anyone who loves great stories and characters, but be warned that it isn't for the faint of heart. You will hurt, you will cry, you will be shaken inside and out and you will question your own morals if you watch this show from beginning to end, but that's what makes it so unforgettable and something to be cherished. It is the highest artistic achievement above all others when a fictional show can feel every inch as real and complex as our own lives, where the characters face the same struggles we face, join together for better or worse as family, stand against obstacles far bigger than themselves and who must ultimately face their own destinies alone at the end of a dusty road. Now who are you to deny yourself that experience? For your consideration...

Breaking Bad
  • A series worth revisiting is THE SHEILD, and what's happened to The Mentalist? Monk still beats it hands down.

Breaking Bad, Ive yet to see it, but will do when all my friends stop insisting I do lol. I'm keen to avoid it until the mood gets me.

The Bridge was good in patches but not as good as Those Who Kill. I still prefer a classic episode of The X Files.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Working on the season 3 finale of 'Game of Thrones,' which means I just watched the Red Wedding episode for the first time.

Wow.

Just...wow.

I just had to spill my thoughts out in this overly long spoiler of mine. Of course, this is the craziest episode of a show I've ever seen, and if you've never seen GoT, please, don't spoil it by reading my thoughts:
    That shit just escalated non-stop. Hands down the CRAZIEST episode I've ever seen in a television show in my life. So the song starts playing and the door is shut, something is obviously awry. Then the dialogue gets heated and someone walks over to Talisa with a knife..."Okay, obviously he'll hold her hostage." Nope, that's incorrect thinking! Stabs her numerous times in her pregnant belly. They really pulled out all the stops. All of the Stark soldiers are slaughtered as Talisa bleeds to death, Robb is hit with numerous arrows, and Lady Catelyn is hit once, and it pans away to show the unfortunate slaughter of the direwolf.

"Okay," I think, "so that was crazy. But hey, Robb might survive somehow and Lady Catelyn is merely injured. Not as bad as I thought it would be." Wrong again, Brett! Robb musters up the strength to crawl to his dead wife to look into her eyes one last time as Lady Catelyn grabs Walder Frey's wife, threatening to cut her throat if Robb isn't released. Well, of course, there's no easy way out, as Walder couldn't care less and we see Bolton approach Robb to stab him right in the chest. Still, there's a glimmer of hope.

Of course...there isn't. Might he be alive? It's a possibility! Lady Catelyn is done, slicing the wife's throat as she, in turn, has her throat sliced. I'm just absolutely blown away at this point. And of course, wouldn't you know it, the season finale opens up with Robb's headless body being paraded around on a horse with his direwolf's head attached to the headless neck. GRRM really pulled out all the stops for that, and now we are left with four Starks who will want revenge: someone too young, someone who is handicapped, someone who wants revenge on everyone (Arya), and someone who lets everyone else dictate what she does in life (Sansa).

This show just builds up your hopes, courage, and taste for revenge just to kick it in the face. Just look at season one: here we have Lord Eddard Stark who will do the good that he does and save everyone...oh, what's that? He gets beheaded before the season even ends? Wow. So what now? Is that Lady Catelyn and Robb Stark vowing revenge against the Lannisters? I look forward to this...oh...oh they're both dead? Unbelievable. So we have all of the Lannisters and despicable enemies still roaming Westeros and beyond that we all want to see die, and alas, they're the only ones who make it out, it seems. I do hope season four gives us a sweet taste of revenge.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 7,653
    Babylon 5 season 1 episode 1-8 while ironing, I have three women in my household so theamount of clothes can be staggering.

This is one of my favorite series when it comes to scifi together with Doctor Who and the original ST (okay DS9 is very good too)
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I've given up on Game Of Thrones. I just found it boring. I didn't care about any of the characters (or even know who half of them were) and I didn't have a clue what was going on.

Maybe I'm too thick to understand the plot but I really don't see the appeal of this show. Yeah there's a lot of sex and the odd bit of gory violence, and Sean Bean's in it, but so what? I think it's a po faced, overly complex snoozefest.

Anyway, the last show I watched was Match Of The Day. Apart from football and Formula 1, there's nothing really on telly at the moment that I'm following. Banshee's second series is meant to start soon, I'm looking forward to that (the first series really surprised me, I'd never heard of it but I ended up loving it).
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Working on the season 3 finale of 'Game of Thrones,' which means I just watched the Red Wedding episode for the first time.

Wow.

Just...wow.

I just had to spill my thoughts out in this overly long spoiler of mine. Of course, this is the craziest episode of a show I've ever seen, and if you've never seen GoT, please, don't spoil it by reading my thoughts:
    That shit just escalated non-stop. Hands down the CRAZIEST episode I've ever seen in a television show in my life. So the song starts playing and the door is shut, something is obviously awry. Then the dialogue gets heated and someone walks over to Talisa with a knife..."Okay, obviously he'll hold her hostage." Nope, that's incorrect thinking! Stabs her numerous times in her pregnant belly. They really pulled out all the stops. All of the Stark soldiers are slaughtered as Talisa bleeds to death, Robb is hit with numerous arrows, and Lady Catelyn is hit once, and it pans away to show the unfortunate slaughter of the direwolf.

"Okay," I think, "so that was crazy. But hey, Robb might survive somehow and Lady Catelyn is merely injured. Not as bad as I thought it would be." Wrong again, Brett! Robb musters up the strength to crawl to his dead wife to look into her eyes one last time as Lady Catelyn grabs Walder Frey's wife, threatening to cut her throat if Robb isn't released. Well, of course, there's no easy way out, as Walder couldn't care less and we see Bolton approach Robb to stab him right in the chest. Still, there's a glimmer of hope.

Of course...there isn't. Might he be alive? It's a possibility! Lady Catelyn is done, slicing the wife's throat as she, in turn, has her throat sliced. I'm just absolutely blown away at this point. And of course, wouldn't you know it, the season finale opens up with Robb's headless body being paraded around on a horse with his direwolf's head attached to the headless neck. GRRM really pulled out all the stops for that, and now we are left with four Starks who will want revenge: someone too young, someone who is handicapped, someone who wants revenge on everyone (Arya), and someone who lets everyone else dictate what she does in life (Sansa).

This show just builds up your hopes, courage, and taste for revenge just to kick it in the face. Just look at season one: here we have Lord Eddard Stark who will do the good that he does and save everyone...oh, what's that? He gets beheaded before the season even ends? Wow. So what now? Is that Lady Catelyn and Robb Stark vowing revenge against the Lannisters? I look forward to this...oh...oh they're both dead? Unbelievable. So we have all of the Lannisters and despicable enemies still roaming Westeros and beyond that we all want to see die, and alas, they're the only ones who make it out, it seems. I do hope season four gives us a sweet taste of revenge.

As much as those moments are shocking for me the most refreshing thing about GOT and this was evident for me first when I read that
    Eddard was dead is that GOT has no Knight in shinning armour to the rescue moments.

For it was clear from finishing the first book that characters were not going to get their comeuppance although some do, GOT is not about presenting the obvious and makes LOTR seem like a gentle drama.
    Season 4 will offer some comfort for those looking for revenge
    @Shardlake, no spoilers, but I really hear they're:
    absolutely upping everything in S4, and attempting to one-up the Red Wedding.
    Birdleson wrote:
    I'm with the livingroyale, boring, and I'll add silly.

I've heard some people call it the best TV show ever but I really don't see why. It doesn't hold a handle to the likes of Breaking Bad, The Wire and countless others. I don't get the appeal of the show at all. Maybe it's just me.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Whilst I've been ill, my partner has got me watching his Grey's Anatomy box set. It's quite enjoyable but I don't think it holds a candle to the first eight seasons of ER. I'm up to the finale on Season 7 and have just watched an episode where it all goes a bit Glee and turns into a musical episode. A genuine WTF?! moment.
    Top Gear Burma special part 2.

Excellent as always, plenty of funny moments, plenty of amazing views and scenery, and also respect for what happened to the people all those years ago when building that Bridge over the river Kwai!
    edited March 2014 Posts: 4,043
    Birdleson wrote:
    I'm with the livingroyale, boring, and I'll add silly.

I've heard some people call it the best TV show ever but I really don't see why. It doesn't hold a handle to the likes of Breaking Bad, The Wire and countless others. I don't get the appeal of the show at all. Maybe it's just me.

I wouldn't say it's the greatest show ever and yes some aren't going to get it but it's certainly not silly or boring.

Not many shows have the balls this one has but if it's not your bag fair enough I guess but this show is going places no program has gone before and is definitely event television whether you like it or not.

Just watched another cracking episode of Hannibal, this show just gets better and Season 2 has really upped the ante, far from being the serial killer a week show it started out as.
    I've given up on Game Of Thrones. I just found it boring. I didn't care about any of the characters (or even know who half of them were) and I didn't have a clue what was going on.

Maybe I'm too thick to understand the plot but I really don't see the appeal of this show. Yeah there's a lot of sex and the odd bit of gory violence, and Sean Bean's in it, but so what? I think it's a po faced, overly complex snoozefest.
    Nice to see that someone shares my opinion on GoT :)
    Never seen GoT so not sure what all the fuss is about?
    GOT is not a show you can dip into and have no patience with and wonder why it doesn't make sense within a few episodes, it's ambitions dwarf practically every show before it.

I've seen people dismiss the Wire the same way because they didn't have the patience to persevere with it.

I loved Breaking Bad but I'm getting a little sick of it being referred to as some bench mark. Many shows came before it and were it's inspiration, it's great but The Soprano's or the Wire it ain't.

It seems the default greatest TV show of all time these days and you'd think nothing was else was as good before it.

It's definitely very ambitious and I don't really think it was bad. It was well acted, it had nice locations and it's clear a lot of effort went into it. I just wasn't interested in the plot at all, I didn't care for the characters and I didn't really understand what was going on half the time. It was a lot of characters I didn't care about talking about stuff I didn't understand so it bored me.

To be fair though I think it's probably me and not the show as I don't really like that sort of thing (fantasy, dragons, Lord Of The Rings sort of stuff) anyway. Not really my cup of tea. I liked Skyrim though.
    Whilst I've been ill, my partner has got me watching his Grey's Anatomy box set. It's quite enjoyable but I don't think it holds a candle to the first eight seasons of ER. I'm up to the finale on Season 7 and have just watched an episode where it all goes a bit Glee and turns into a musical episode. A genuine WTF?! moment.

Scrubs did the musical thing also, and I bet it was before Grey's Anatomy.
    And it was nice hearing about ER again. What a great show! Then I was in love with Abby. Good memories you have brought me, @WillyGalore.
    And that opening was epic:
    The Walking Dead.... Lizzie, you nutball...
    Shardlake wrote:
    GOT is not a show you can dip into and have no patience with and wonder why it doesn't make sense within a few episodes, it's ambitions dwarf practically every show before it.

I've seen people dismiss the Wire the same way because they didn't have the patience to persevere with it.

I loved Breaking Bad but I'm getting a little sick of it being referred to as some bench mark. Many shows came before it and were it's inspiration, it's great but The Soprano's or the Wire it ain't.

It seems the default greatest TV show of all time these days and you'd think nothing was else was as good before it.
    You hit the nail right on the head with The Wire as well as GoT :D Can you tell me about other "slower" shows like GoT and Wire, so I can avoid them ? :D
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,894
    The new series of Wheeler Dealers started last night. Kicking of the new series was an XR2. As Mike continues with his "cheeky chappy cocky spiel", Bone China's hair continues to grow more grey by the series. Must be all the hard work he has to do, while Mike disappears off to look for parcel shelves and hub caps.
    SharkBait wrote:
    The Walking Dead.... Lizzie, you nutball...

Yeah that was brilliant. Probably the darkest TV episode of any TV show (that I've seen), but it didn't feel like it was trying to be grim and shocking for the sake of it.

I actually really felt bad for Lizzie as well as Mika. She was messed up sure but she's a little girl in the zombie apocalypse, it's not her fault she's that way. It was even sadder because she was bawling her eyes out and she had no idea what was about to happen when
    Carol shot her

I thought both the girls were pretty tragic characters actually. Little girls who had no chance of surviving because of how they were. Mika was too nice. Lizzie was too messed up. One couldn't kill humans, the other couldn't kill zombies. Felt bad for Carol too as she pretty much lost two more daughters.

I think The Walking Dead is quite good at getting child actors too, something most shows seem to be crap at. Carl, while a bit annoying imo, is played well and the two girls were great.

I hope in the next episode though they all manage to reach this "sanctuary" they're travelling too because I'm getting sick of the switching between different groups every episode.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    I've started looking back on TV Shows from my childhood, and bought S1 of Batman TAS. It is still as good as, if not better than I remembered it.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 4,043
    dragonsky wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:

You hit the nail right on the head with The Wire as well as GoT :D Can you tell me about other "slower" shows like GoT and Wire, so I can avoid them ? :D

I'd definitely avoid True Detective then, not one for those with no patience or attention deficit disorder.

Caught the first 2 episodes last night, from the moment the usual superb HBO titles started I was hooked, it's definitely a slow burn but Harrelson and McConaughy are so mesmerising it doesn't drag one bit, nice to see some Wire cast in there, Clarke Peters (Lester Freamon) & Michael Potts (Brother Mouzone).

Although if it's ADD TV you are looking for I wouldn't subscribe, god forbid you might have to engage your brain at some point, so another one for you to avoid glad I could have been of service. Stick to 24 or Prison Break or that rubbish Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D

GOT does as good with child actors if not better than Walking Dead.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    That Episode of The Walking Dead was probably the best episode in the last 2 seasons. It was deep.
    That Episode of The Walking Dead was probably the best episode in the last 2 seasons. It was deep.

I keep hearing good things about The Walking Dead but I for one have never been a fan of the Zombie genre. Maybe I should give it a look-see.

Last show I watched was Dallas.
    sorry its a guilty pleasure as is Scandal...
    I gave up on TWD after season three. It was dull, slow, did nothing for me, felt like it was filled with irrelevant zombies and pointless banter, and I could sum up each episode in a matter of seconds.

I think this has definitely been the best season so far. The first couple of episodes were a bit slow and not much happened, but it's been great since the episode where The Governor returned. That prison battle episode is probably the best episode the show as produced imo.

@OHMSS69 The Walking Dead is worth a watch. The second series is crap and the third series falls apart a bit towards the end but other than that it's good.

The good thing about it is that it isn't just "ahhh, zombies!". There are zombies and they are a threat but they're not the focus, the focus is the character. It's a drama that uses the whole zombie apocalypse idea as a backdrop. So you might enjoy it even if you're not normally a fan of the genre.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I've just watched the first in the new series W1A it's 2012all over again only this time it's set at theBBC in London if you have ever wondered how not to run a large corporate organisation this is where you get the full story.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Vikings

Has a similar vibe to that of "Game of Thrones", minus the fantasy element. It's currently in it's second season and is based on a true story. When this show first aired I wasn't a big fan because of how slow it was but I recently watched the first season on DVD and got hooked. Season two is only on its fifth episode and is amazing. This show is a must watch!
    The Walking Dead.

Eugene is funny. I bet he's lying about being able to cure the virus though. He seems to keep trying to make sure they don't go to Washington (he "accidentally" shot up the car, he went back for Glen and Maggie then he insisted on carrying on up to this sanctuary place). My moneys on him being a bullshitter who's just using the whole "scientist" idea to get people to protect him because he has no survival skills.

I'm looking forward to seeing Daryl's reaction when he finds out it's Rick that these guys are hunting. I think either Rick or Daryl might die next week in the series finale.