Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

"Toy Hunter!" This program is awesome! I have seen things on this show that I had when I was a child! How much they are worth now is like........... :-O :((
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    With the 5th and final series of Eureka on DVD next month, i've taken this opportunity to re watch the tv from the very beginning.

Dr Nobel

s01_e0105_04_129564070695.jpg

Fargo gets his own office, which just so happens to contain a supercomputer that was built during the Cold War. Well, Fargo and supercomputers don't mix, and before long, Fargo sets off a 24 hours countdown to World War III, which causes missile silos and a Ionosphere Particle Beam (or "Death Ray" as Jack calls it) to emerge from the ground across Eureka.
    The only was of shutting down the computer is locked deep down in the mind of it's creator, Dr Irvin Thatcher, whom suffered a mental breakdown after failing to win the Nobel Prize. With a little help from a device from GD, that's never had a field test, Jack has to enter Thatcher's mind, and locate the shutdown sequence.

1. Dr Nobel (S1 - EP6)
    2. Pilot (S1 - EP1)
    3. Invincible (S1 - EP5)
    4. Many Happy Returns (S1 - EP2)
    5. Before I Forget (S1 - EP3)
    6. Alienated (S1 - EP4)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,691
    Eureka rocks. A lot. Seen it in its entirety, and glad I did. Warehouse 13 is good too, but not THIS good.
    Just finished watching Big Bad World and, to be honest, was not all that impressed. Blake Harrison (a.k.a. Neil from The Inbetweeners) is good as the graduate struggling to find his feet (a position I can relate to) but the comedy seems quite limp. It appears to suffer from the same issue as I Give it a Year in that the humour feels quite obvious and not particularly sophisticated (this seems to be an ongoing issue in modern British comedy).

In fairness its only the first episode so may get better.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Sherlock (both seasons)

sherlockcumberbatchlead.jpg

I'd heard so much good stuff about these 6 'movies', I just had to give it a try. And man, I was hooked from the first second. Cumberbatch and Freeman are splendid, the screenwriting is superb, the locations and production designs a feast for the eye. Robert Downey who?

The Great Game and A Study in Pink are my two favourite episodes, although the latter closes on a bit of an iffy ending IMO. Nevertheless, people should watch this highly entertaining series and I for one can't wait till season 3. Brilliant!

Welcome to the very prestigious club of BBC Sherlock lovers, @DarthDimi! :)

I would love to hear more of your thoughts here:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2320/sherlock-2010-bbc-series-discussion-thread/p2
    Lately I'm just rewatching some Sopranos episodes, picking the one I feel like seeing. It's a great watch, specially on moments when one feels a little blue, and there is certainly some wisdom behind it.
    Last night I saw "Soprano Home Movies", one of my favorites of Season 6b.
    0013 wrote:
    Lately I'm just rewatching some Sopranos episodes, picking the one I feel like seeing. It's a great watch, specially on moments when one feels a little blue, and there is certainly some wisdom behind it.

I love the end of that episode, when Bobby is holding his little girl, looking out over the lake and left to contemplate the murder he has just committed...
    0013 wrote:

I love the end of that episode, when Bobby is holding his little girl, looking out over the lake and left to contemplate the murder he has just committed...

Yes, and "This Magic Moment" by Ben E. King playing on the backround.
    0013 wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Yes, and "This Magic Moment" by Ben E. King playing on the backround.

I'm just listening to it now, as soon as you made mention of the episode :-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    chrisisall wrote:
    Eureka rocks. A lot. Seen it in its entirety, and glad I did. Warehouse 13 is good too, but not THIS good.

I love it, Eureka rounds out my top 3 favourite TV shows (following Dead Like Me and the McCoy era of Doctor Who). I been wanting to check out Warehouse 13, with it's Eureka connection(s).
  • Fast n Loud

Ancient Aliens

SG1

Stargate Atlantis

Man v Food
    Forbrydelsen III which like the previous two series were bloody brilliant television.. This Danish show is easily the best policeshow that has been shown on the telly in recent years, that is if you like intelligent writing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Killing_(Danish_TV_series)
    Whitechapel, Episode 1, Series 4.
    Just as creepy as always! Love it and glad to see it back! :-bd
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2013 Posts: 4,043
    I think Forbrydelsen is brilliant I just think the endings never quite live up to the rest of the series, Series 1 I wasn't convinced the guy who was the killer was believably the man we'd been kept on the edge of our seats for 20 episodes and Series 2 the conclusion once again felt unconvincing and Series 3 ending was ok but this show follows a pattern each time so it becomes easy to spot the culprit.

Don't get me wrong I love allot of this Nordic Crime and drama and thoroughly enjoyed Forbryselsen ( The Killing) but I must say I found the conclusion to the Bridge better than all the 3 series endings and probably prefer Borgen to all the nordic shows out there. That being said they all put the likes of Luther to shame, poor writing, ridiculous characters and utterly unconvincing, yes Elba is a bad ass but that does not make a TV show alone or maybe it does for some.

As for Whitechapel couldn't stomach anymore after that ridiculous second series with the Kray twins like plot and Peter Serefenowicz utterly silly character.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Watching England play now.

Chickens

It's similar to The Inbetweeners but it does enough to be it's own show and the premise for it is probably the most original I've ever seen for a sitcom (3 men who stayed at home during WW1 for different reasons end up living together).

First episode was nothing special, second episode was better and it's really starting to hit it's stride now. Simon Bird is still playing the same character he always does (briefcase wanker) but it's still funny. Joe Thomas is irritating but he's meant to be and he's doing something surprisingly different to his Inbetweeners character.

Johnny Sweet, the one that wasn't in The Inbetweeners, is pretty good too. The scenes with him and Simon Bird playing off eachother are the best bits most of the time.
    I been wanting to check out Warehouse 13, with it's Eureka connection(s).
    Try it, many of the same creative types involved. We've seen almost every ep now, and while not as charming as Eureka, it's certainly nearly as off the wall at times.
    edited September 2013 Posts: 13,894
    I'll certainly look into picking up Warehouse 13 on DVD. Thanks for the recommendation.

Incidentally, I watched 'Maneater' from series 2 of Eureka today. Another favourite episode. Poor Fargo, his attempts at being used as a plaything for Eureka's female population constantly dashed by Carter. A top 10 (possibly even top 5) episode.
    Favourite line from Eureka:
    Fargo- "Bismarck."
    Eureka
    Series 3
    Episode 4:
    I Do Over

s03_e0304_02_129590966580___CC___640x360.jpg

The big day arrives, the wedding day of Alison & Stark. For Carter, as if making through the day won't be tough enough, he is made to re live the day over, and over, and over again in his very own Groundhog Day. Might it have something to do with a new super clock installed at GD, and which one of Eureka's residents will have to make the ultimate sacrifice?

---

The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes - The Blue Carbuncle

tumblr_m4uo68uAxU1rswfj6o1_400.jpg

Regarding Sherlock Holmes, i've always been a bit of a Phyllis Dine. I have read none of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's books and before buying the Elementary boxset (which has since led me to buy the complete collection), I had seen only snippets of the Rathbone films, a tvm from the early 2000's and snippets of the two recent films. Every now and then, I get a craving to step outside my comfort zone and try something new, and that was buying the Elementary box set. I might only be 7 episode in, but thanks to Jeremy Brett's phenomenal performance(s), I am hooked.
    Whitechapel episode 2, season 4! Gets better and better! Genuine walk over my grave moment right at the very end of this one! :-S
    Just finished watching What Remains which for the most part was a quality drama which kept you intrigued and interested but it was like some Hollywood moron was hired to provide the climax as the last 5 minutes turned into Fatal Attraction. Such a pity David Threlfall delivered a nicely measured performance and the pace was just right but really did we need such a cliched and over dramatic ending? When my Wife saw that bow and arrow she predicted how it would end but at the time I prayed that wouldn't be the case but the writers couldn't resist.
    Has anyone else seen the first episode of Bates Motel? Caught it last week. Freddie Highmore was excellent as Norman but overall I had mixed feelings. There was promise but it felt a bit odd seeing a young Norman Bates texting and going to nightclubs.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Has anyone else seen the first episode of Bates Motel? Caught it last week. Freddie Highmore was excellent as Norman but overall I had mixed feelings. There was promise but it felt a bit odd seeing a young Norman Bates texting and going to nightclubs.

@BAIN123, I didn't watch all of the season, but had seen a few episodes here and there, and though I was at first skeptical I grew impressed by it. The episodes I viewed were well written, interesting, and at times spine-tingling, and I do wish I had followed it from the very beginning. There are simply too many great shows out there to enjoy them all, so much so that it makes my head spin.
    Seriously is this the last season of Dexter? I'm 6 episodes in and my god this should have been put out to pasture seasons back.

Some series like BB or The Wire knew when to bow out but not Miami's favourite blood splatter expert, the writing and the plotting for this season has so far has been substandard and compared to other series just seems underwhelming, Hannibal certainly shows this up big time.

Where I know Breaking Bad won't cop out I'm not sure about Dexter, some of things this is proposing so far like him taking on an apprentice you just wonder where it all went wrong.
    The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes - The Final Problem

I can't remember the last time I felt such a sense of dread at the sight of Professor Moriarty appearing on the bridge, them Holmes stepping foot onto the other side and seeing Moriarty. The look on Holmes' face says it all. I knew that Holmes wasn't going to die, but that did nothing for my nerves during their confrontation.

That is The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes completed, now I can move on to The Return Of Sherlock Holmes.

I've got 3 episodes to go and as one of those who was there at the beginning when it was first shown in the UK I have to ask what happened?

Seasons 5 & 6 were utter dross but the final season it certainly giving it some competition in those stakes, some of the most lazy generic storytelling seen in a series in a long time. The supposed long dead psychotic son comes back, seriously is this TJ Hooker?

My Wife and I are only watching this as we watched all the other seasons and feel we need to see it out but when I'm in the throes of digesting an utterly incredible final season of Breaking Bad & re watching Hannibal, Miami's finest blood splatter expert seems so underwhelming. I'm not expecting much from the denouncement of this once great series, fine up until season 5 but this is where it got so lame and has just got worst.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 11,189
    @Shardlake.

I watched all of seasons 1-4 of Dexter but gave up half way through season 5. The main actress in that series really annoyed me. Not Debb but the "survivor". The story seemed all over the place too. Have you read any of the Jeff Lindsey books?

My favourite seasons of the ones I've seen incidentally are 1 and 4.

Loving the final few episodes of Breaking Bad too by the way.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bonanza.
    I love this show, brings back childhood memories. Sadly all the main characters have passed away by now. Dan Blocker was the first in 1972, that is why the show was cancelled after 13 years. Pernell Roberts was the last in 2010, I believe, well into his 80s.
  • Breaking Bad. Only two episodes left now.
    Sad that Hank died, he was probably my favourite character.
    Breaking Bad.

If you haven't seen this series, do yourself a favor and watch it from the beginning.
    Each season has a handful of episodes that are absolutely breathtaking.
    Don't ruin it for yourself by watching the final two episodes.
    This is a tough, gutsy show unlike anything else on television.