What country would you like to be the MAIN location for BOND 26?

Comments

Oz doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't scream Bond at all
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    They could always do an adaptation of Raymond Benson's Zero Minus Ten (1997) as part of it is set in the Australian outback.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    They could always do an adaptation of Raymond Benson's Zero Minus Ten (1997) as part of it is set in the Australian outback.
    You've got to admit it would feel like a remake of Tomorrow Never Dies, though. The premises of both the storylines are awfully similar.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    You've got to admit it would feel like a remake of Tomorrow Never Dies, though. The premises of both the storylines are awfully similar.

Yes, the Hong Kong setting would probably have to be changed.
    On the run being hunted for sport in the frozen forests of Siberia

Ice waterfall climbing in Canada or Europe

Iceland, done well

India

Antarctica - science base doubling as lair

Argentina

I like the idea of a hunt sequence. Like Capricorn one or duel. Bond has to rely on his survival knowledge

• edited February 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Good ideas ,but i dont think we will ever see Bond in Argentina...our 2 governments in real life are not getting on for years due to the Falklands ,so a crew and actors would never be risked there...

And have you read the Bond novel 'Nobody Lives Forever' by John Gardner ? thats exactly what you have described re the chase ,and a really good Bond novel.
  • Or the end of No Deals, Mr. Bond which has Bond being thrown into a "Most Dangerous Game" scenario on an island with five or six assassins armed with melee weapons. Something like that. Must reread that one again soon. Probably my favorite from Gardner. Under the right circumstances, I'd dig seeing that kind of a scenario going down on film. Ideally it would be story-driven and in an interesting environment. As typically happens in these scenarios, you might find Bond unexpectedly breaking back into the villain's compound, bloodied and breathless and ready to save the day.
    Absolutely.....totally agree with that...build it all up slowly during the whole film.
    Or the end of No Deals, Mr. Bond which has Bond being thrown into a "Most Dangerous Game" scenario on an island with five or six assassins armed with melee weapons. Something like that. Must reread that one again soon. Probably my favorite from Gardner. Under the right circumstances, I'd dig seeing that kind of a scenario going down on film. Ideally it would be story-driven and in an interesting environment. As typically happens in these scenarios, you might find Bond unexpectedly breaking back into the villain's compound, bloodied and breathless and ready to save the day.

I'd love to see such a scenario in a Bond film and have advocated for it for a long time. I could imagine Bond being dumped, probably while unconscious, into some unforgiving environment like a massive forest (Japan, maybe, in a YOLT adaptation) or the Australian Outback, having to wake up, figure out where he is, and then have to survive unarmed against some very well trained assassins or mercenaries who are competing to see which of them returns to the villain with his head on a silver platter. Would make for a great sequence, I think.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    dalton wrote: »
    Or the end of No Deals, Mr. Bond which has Bond being thrown into a "Most Dangerous Game" scenario on an island with five or six assassins armed with melee weapons. Something like that. Must reread that one again soon. Probably my favorite from Gardner. Under the right circumstances, I'd dig seeing that kind of a scenario going down on film. Ideally it would be story-driven and in an interesting environment. As typically happens in these scenarios, you might find Bond unexpectedly breaking back into the villain's compound, bloodied and breathless and ready to save the day.

I'd love to see such a scenario in a Bond film and have advocated for it for a long time. I could imagine Bond being dumped, probably while unconscious, into some unforgiving environment like a massive forest (Japan, maybe, in a YOLT adaptation) or the Australian Outback, having to wake up, figure out where he is, and then have to survive unarmed against some very well trained assassins or mercenaries who are competing to see which of them returns to the villain with his head on a silver platter. Would make for a great sequence, I think.

That could be a adapted as a story for Bond 25. With Bond out of the service, living quietly somewhere. Then Blofeld escaping detention and seeking Bond out. When he fails to find him, he issues a bounty to the worlds best assassins to seek Bond out. Would make for a very tense sequence as Bond would not know of any impending danger, and therefore could not be ready for it. The setting of which is not overly important, however it would need to be a place where Bond would actually be. As much as I'd like to see him in Australia, a European setting would be more likely. Maybe an alpine area, or somewhere in the med.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    I kind of like this Hunger Games-for-spies scenario more than a faithful adaptation of The Garden of Death (which, let's face it, is fairly depressing, plus there was a suicide forest film that flopped recently).
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    they need to get some of the bond book writers maybe they would be good
  • CigaretteLeiterCigaretteLeiter United States
    Benny wrote: »
    That could be a adapted as a story for Bond 25. With Bond out of the service, living quietly somewhere. Then Blofeld escaping detention and seeking Bond out. When he fails to find him, he issues a bounty to the worlds best assassins to seek Bond out. Would make for a very tense sequence as Bond would not know of any impending danger, and therefore could not be ready for it. The setting of which is not overly important, however it would need to be a place where Bond would actually be. As much as I'd like to see him in Australia, a European setting would be more likely. Maybe an alpine area, or somewhere in the med.

I like it, it reminds me of No One Lives Forever. As for the setting, how about Jamaica?
  • dalton wrote: »

Throw in some deadly animals and you've got yourself a film!
    Matt007 wrote: »
    On the run being hunted for sport in the frozen forests of Siberia

Ice waterfall climbing in Canada or Europe

Iceland, done well

India

Antarctica - science base doubling as lair

Argentina

I like the idea of a hunt sequence. Like Capricorn one or duel. Bond has to rely on his survival knowledge

Like the Siberia hunt idea.

It's been years since Bond was in real peril, running for his life. We used to get great sequences like that all the time in the Connery and Moore films.

These days it's always beefcake Craig chasing down his prey. It totally changes the dynamic IMO.

I want to see Bond in danger, exhausted and sh*t scared, surviving at the last thanks to his wits, or perhaps just luck.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    edited February 2017 Posts: 299
    I'm liking these recent ideas of Bond being hunted. I recently saw John Wick 2 and part of it involves Keanu Reeves' character (who is a hitman) having a contract put out on him. Theres a couple of great sequences with him being hunted by other assassins in the middle of a busy city that work really well, reminded me of the Bourne films when Matt Damon is being chased by equally skilled opponents. I can see that working really well in a Bond film, similar to with Grant in FRWL, plus having it all situated in somewhere like Antarctica or Siberia would add an extra interesting dynamic of Bond having to improvise and use his survival skills.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd enjoy the whole 'Most Dangerous Game' idea involving Bond and assassins on a desolate-yet-beautiful island. It could make for a really great third act.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 11,425
    I like it when Bond is being chased through a crowd or against a backdrop of celebrations. It adds tension and drama. Everyone around is oblivious to the game of life and death going on around them. The closest I think we've come in the Craig era is the Opera scene in QOS which for me was the most Bondian scene we'd had for a couple of decades.

I have to say QoS is possibly my favourite of his 4.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Getafix wrote: »
    I like it when Bond is being chased through a crowd or against a backdrop of celebrations. It adds tension and drama. Everyone around is oblivious to the game of life and death going on around them. The closest I think we've come in the Craig era is the Opera scene in QOS which for me was the most Bondian scene we'd had for a couple of decades.

It's my favorite of his, as well, with CR being slightly behind it as my second favorite. Always makes me happy to see more and more love and appreciation for QoS as the years go on. Not saying you haven't from the start (can't recall everyone's feelings about every movie), but there weren't too many of us diehard fans back in 2008.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    How about the Moon?
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It's my favorite of his, as well, with CR being slightly behind it as my second favorite. Always makes me happy to see more and more love and appreciation for QoS as the years go on. Not saying you haven't from the start (can't recall everyone's feelings about every movie), but there weren't too many of us diehard fans back in 2008.

Loved it from day one. Never really understood all the carping about it. The criticism seems to boil down to not liking a bit of handheld camera work.

For me the issues with the script during production aren't apparent on screen. Infact I'd say the plot is pretty straightforward and comprehensible, and there is some strong dialogue. some of the best scenes of the Craig era are in that film.

That's not to say it's perfect - it's not. I like Amelric - think he's underrated as a villain. Could have done without Fields and M's appearance at the hotel. And there is one too many unnecessary action scenes. But overall I think it works well.

And thank goodness it's not too long. The other Craig films are all 20-30 minutes overlong IMO. Totally unnecessary with a Bond film and massively reduces their rewatch appeal.

Frankly I think Forster captured the essence of the early Bonds better than Mendes or Campbell.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Loved it from day one. Never really understood all the carping about it. The criticism seems to boil down to not liking a bit of handheld camera work.

For me the issues with the script during production aren't apparent on screen. Infact I'd say the plot is pretty straightforward and comprehensible, and there is some strong dialogue. some of the best scenes of the Craig era are in that film.

That's not to say it's perfect - it's not. I like Amelric - think he's underrated as a villain. Could have done without Fields and M's appearance at the hotel. And there is one too many unnecessary action scenes. But overall I think it works well.

And thank goodness it's not too long. The other Craig films are all 20-30 minutes overlong IMO. Totally unnecessary with a Bond film and massively reduces their rewatch appeal.

Frankly I think Forster captured the essence of the early Bonds better than Mendes or Campbell.

Agreed I have it as my # 5 favorite but it's my number one most watched bond movie
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    How about the Moon?
    I wouldn't mind another space entry to be honest. As I mentioned on the Speculation thread, Sci-fi is something that's been missing for a while, and space travel for the masses is far closer than in 1979.
  • Getafix wrote: »

QoS was my favorite of Craig's for a long time. CR has pulled slightly ahead perhaps, but I regard them as equally great. 9 times outta 10 I'd rather throw QoS on though.
    bondjames wrote: »
    How about the Moon?
    I wouldn't mind another space entry to be honest. As I mentioned on the Speculation thread, Sci-fi is something that's been missing for a while, and space travel for the masses is far closer than in 1979.

I too would like to see Bond in space again. Maybe not the moon, but space. And done seriously. Imagine a 20 minute sequence in a Bond film with the quality and the realism of Gravity. This isn't even the future anymore. It's 2017. They're planning to send civilians on a trip around the moon. If some rich bloaks can do it, James Bond certainly can. I'm almost disappointed the Bond films aren't being more innovative in this regard.
    Hmm. Not keen on space right now. Pretty sure DC would say no as well.
  • I agree, outer space is a little too realistic for Daniel Craig's Bond right now. There are no foster brother supervillains in outer space.
    Please let's leave space out of it, guys. It didn't exactly work out the first time. Gravity-like sequences would just feel out of place. Bond is supposed to be about exotic locations, not the literal emptiness of space.
    I agree, outer space is a little too realistic for Daniel Craig's Bond right now. There are no foster brother supervillains in outer space.

Maybe he's half alien and has an alien half brother who hates him. See, no good developments can come out of taking Bond to space.
    Space is a no-go for me...they did it once before and that's enough imo.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Space worked in the 1970s and even the 1980s because people were convinced that going into space is a close to become reality thing thanks to the days of Ronald Reagan who kept financing the Star Wars project. No, not related to the film franchise of the same name. However, after the project didn't make it anywhere near to succeed in putting that into a reality, it's far more realized that we still have a long journey to get to that level of life ascendancy or be as advanced as we think we could have been.

Moonraker is a product of its time. So, it's understandable why was there the hype of the outer space extravaganza. But, now? It won't make sense to have Bond go to the outer space. Star Wars type laser guns and breathing in space or landing on another planet is less believable today than it was a few decades ago. So, like @barryt007 states, outer space is a no-go. Unless they tend to make a Joel Schumacher cartoon out of Bond, which won't happen...

Satellites and secret space weapons in vein, however, like GoldenEye or Icarus, that I'd definitely buy. Because those are believable.
    yes who wants another space laser plot? So Brosnan. Yawn.