The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It's just the people rising up. That's all. Democracy in action.

She never addressed the concerns that he raised and which resonated with the public. She tried to ignore it, ride the clock out and focus on a campaign of demonizing him for months with media complicity. Big mistake and I'm glad the American people saw through it and repudiated it.

As with Brexit, they should have taken the issues raised straight on. I've said that for months.

Trump has just pierced the blue wall. Wisconsin has just fallen.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Seconded. I'm not proud to be an American today.
    Iowa has fallen.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    It is the people putting change for change's sake over morals. I do believe that.
    Beyond sickening. No matter how you spin Trump, @bondjames. Shameful.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    That's the American patriotism spirit!
    When will this be finalized?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Nonsense @4EverBonded. There is far more to it than that, but it was ignored, not only in the media but on this thread as well.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I was somewhat amused having learned that the Canadian immigration website suffered a crash.
    No that is the truth, @bondjames. It is a moral loss if Trump wins.
    ?FileName=Yoddler_115_LARGE.jpeg
    We've already had the discussion about moral superiority a few weeks back @4EverBonded. You missed that. I'll stack my morals up against a Clinton supporter any day of the week. That is the not the argument to make, as Clinton is not a saint either. There are more important issues at stake in this election, and they have been willfully ignored. That was a mistake.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Exactly, @Birdleson. Very succinct.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    No that is the truth, @bondjames. It is a moral loss if Trump wins.
    BUT, it MAY be the beginning of real Heroes. Pendulums & such, eh?

Trump didn't bring any issues to the table except a stupid wall that's never going to be built.
    Excellent, @Murdock.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I think Trump will win it in terms of a majority of the popular vote, unless the Electoral College votes don't go his way...
    Murdock wrote: »
    Trump didn't bring any issues to the table except a stupid wall that's never going to be built.
    Exhibit A as to why this thread is in shock tonight.
    Yes it would take a massive groundswell to get our country back where it should be, in spite of Trump, @chrisisall. I will try not to lose faith, but people have really let my country down for it to come to this.
    Get off my lawn.
    Just think of the Supreme Court alone - we are in crisis.
    And here is this thought, too, should Trump win:
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It says some very gross things about our country.

@Birdleson I was waiting to hear from you old friend :( I hate this so much...
    Basically, then we have the Democratic party blocking the new Trump administration as much as possible. Which they should. We can just be hopeful the very worst will not happen. That is where it stands, actually, if he wins. Hoping the very worst does not come about.

So real progress in the future? Nah. Block. Defend our Constitution, Bill of Rights, laws, and block. Four years of that, if he lasts that long - but, @chrisisall, maybe the rising from the Trump ashes during his tenure, what the people could insist on and make different from his original vision, would be good. We can hope.
    No, @Bondjames. It is definitely a moral loss for our country if Trump wins. It is.
  • Congratulations to Donald Trump as president-elect and Mike Pence as vice-president-elect. It also seems very much possible that the Republicans will keep a Senate and House majority.

I was afraid of this scenario, like everyone in here could read. People know I am a Clinton supporter. But angry white blue collar workers have massively shown up in the Midwest. I am very disappointed. But this is democracy too. @Bondjames? Don't throw the hat in the ring too soon :-).

I will later discuss what the consequences will be of this result. But not now.
    maybe the rising from the Trump ashes during his tenure, what the people could insist on and make different from his original vision, would be good. We can hope.
    The dumass Dubya gave rise to Obama... half that time may give rise to a progressive again. The pendulum swings...
    They are not all angry @Gustav_Graves. Many voted for Trump because they believe in what he stands for. Not only because they are angry with the establishment, but because they don't believe the current regime cared enough about them.

The #1 thing that resonated was the Economy. Trade deals that have left millions of Americans behind. That is the binding component between UK's Brexit and this upset. It's also what Trump and Sanders had in common. That is where the focus must be going forward. Ensuring that the Economy starts working for more folks throughout the income scale and that there is more job security.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 12,459
    What he stands for? Exactly. But most of that is pretty unAmerican and often bigoted.
    So all that change you want means more than the other foul, racist things Trump said and represents. More than his plans being unConstitutional, unrealistic, etc.? OK, then that is what you voted for.

But it is very sad and nothing to be proud of, in my opinion of course.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Trump will make sure the rich get richer and the rest die. It's how he wants it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I've been in near catatonia all night, and haven't had the energy to even want to move towards my computer. Needless to say, this night is not doing wonders for my depression. This hopelessness, this feeling of fear and despair and stomach-turning disgust is what triggers weeks with you and a bottle, and maybe, a gun and a game of roulette...
    bondjames wrote: »
    Ensuring that the Economy starts working for more folks throughout the income scale and that there is more job security.
    Good luck with THAT fantasy.

This discussion has been closed.