The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

I'm pretty anxious. Seems like it'll be a close one.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I'm pretty anxious. Seems like it'll be a close one.

I'll be surprised if it is. Clinton just needs to take Nevada, which is likely, and the election is hers.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I'm not seeing anything third party about Trump.
    You're not looking hard enough.

Both Sanders and Trump had views that were at odds with their respective party establishment consensus and orthodoxy prior to them coming along. In Trump's case, it was his immigration stance, security stance and trade stance. Moreover, his entire campaign stance was that of an outsider.

He criticized policy and approach of his competitors and of previous Republican presidents and candidates.

In my view, he is in fact more of a 'third party usurper' to the Republican Party than Sanders is to the Democratic Party.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,257
    Well I did my part and proudly cast a vote for neither of those two clowns. Now I just get to sit back and watch it all unfold on CNN tonight, as well as the resulting chaos on social media.

For what it worth, I think Clinton has it in the bag.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Got my vote in. Tell me who wins, I'm ready to booze.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »
    Got my vote in. Tell me who wins, I'm ready to booze.

Booze now...
    Armageddon%2Baftermath.jpg
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Nice.
    Looking scary.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I want to go to sleep so badly, but this night is far, far from being over.
    By the looks of it, if he takes Florida (and it's a big if), I think he has it.

He's competitive in several battlegrounds, and is likely to take Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio and potentially Wisconsin.

This could be an epic upset, but let's see.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Trump presidency, calling it.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    CNN is in complete shock.

Trump's probably won Pennsylvania as well, as she's not doing as well as she should in Philadelphia.

It's interesting how Trump is taking the suburbs in nearly every state and Clinton is taking the major urban centres. This is very similar to Brexit, where Leave took the rural areas and Remain took the city centres.
    I live in a rural suburb and was taken by surprise how pro Trump it was. It will be a very interesting and close outcome that is for sure.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 17,691
    I got a bad feeling about this...
    :((
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Yeah, no matter how this ends - it is disgusting, sad, and completely shameful that this many of my brother and sister Americans have voted for Trump. Period. People who vote for him are sweeping all the bad things under the rug simply because they want change.

We will get what we vote for. So if the most people really want change - any kind of change, just change - that is what we will get. Change for changes sake. Dislike of a career politican - oh let's try someone new. Have they really listened to him this past year? They think he doesn't mean what he says or he won't be "allowed" to do the damage he has promised?

People can give plenty of reasons for voting for Trump, and some on here will for sure (and have), but that does not in any way negate his racist, hatred, bigotry or his desire to tear up our Bill of Rights and Constitution. If the country votes mainly to change anyway to him, even though he has shown us what he is, then it is simply shameful and our country will regret it. No way around that.
    Yeah, no matter how this ends - it is disgusting, sad, and completely shameful that this many of my brother and sister Americans have voted for Trump. Period. People who vote for him are sweeping all the bad things under the rug simply because they want change.

We will get what we vote for. So if the most people really want change - any kind of change, just change - that is what we will get. Change for changes sake. Dislike of a career politican - oh let's try someone new. Have they really listened to him this past year? They think he doesn't mean what he says or he won't be "allowed" to do the damage he has promised?

People can give plenty of reasons for voting for Trump, and some on here will for sure (and have), but that does not in any way negate his racist, hatred, bigotry or his desire to tear up our Bill of Rights and Constitution. If the country votes mainly to change anyway to him, even though he has shown us what he is, then it is simply shameful and our country will regret it. No way around that.

I'm so with you. I'm so sad right now.
    I try to be polite on this thread. And I know a few (some? more than I could guess?) will disagree me. But I find Trump to be a morally appalling choice, of so many Americans, and I just wanted to flat out say that honestly. It is beyond shameful.
    I am ashamed to be American at the moment. I'm so disheartened.
    I heard now it is down to Michicgan. Which does not bode well. Florida - I think was close - but called now for Trump. Yes, very shameful and disheartening.

Obama, twice elected our president, our first black president - and the pendulum swings to a candidate now endorsed by the KKK and other alt right groups? Shameful is the right word.
    I think optimistically he has Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. He has just won North Carolina.

He has been able to hold the suburbs and reduce Democratic margins in the city areas in some states.

It's Trump.
    It's a reaction to the DNC manipulation. Bernie was a threat to the MIC & big Pharma. If Trump wins, I blame the fucking DNC for choosing self-serving sabotage over (hahahah) common sense.
    People pick and choose their reasons and ignore the other factors, yes.
    People pick and choose their reasons and ignore the other factors, yes.
    Looks like I might be moving to a less fucked up country (Any will do if Trump wins).

I've got friends in England, I wouldn't mind moving down there for a few years. I could use some nice country air.
    I am staying here, actually. And that is a fact. But I care about my country more than I can put into words.

Pendulums swing of course, I get that about politics. But this is not in any way morally right to me.
    I don't know what I'm going to do yet. All I know is I am very sad right now. I cannot see how one can justify voting for Trump. You're kidding yourself if you think he's the better representation for our country.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 17,691
This discussion has been closed.