The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @Getafix and now after 8 years of that the Reps must endure a woman as their leader, times are hard for those poor people.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    An impeachable offense is whatever a majority of the House of Representatives considers it to be at a given moment in history.

The email affair has shown that H. is unfit for the Presidency.

Perhaps you need help translating the US Constitution?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    At this rate the next president will be a black, gay, female atheist Democrat, and one that is pro-choice for a kicker. The worst times are ahead for the modern day Repubs.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited November 2016 Posts: 17,691
    JamesStock wrote: »
    t I wanted to vote for Bernie. I don't agree with him on a fair amount of stuff, but he is a far better personality and I believe would have been a uniter.
    On this we agree. Although many on the far right would simply see him as left-er Jew version of Obama I'm afraid.
    But you making it personal by making judgement of me as an individual says more about you than I.
    It is my experience that when one cannot find easily what I can (me being an average dope) that they are either not looking or just don't WANT evidence that does not back up their preconceptions. And I wasn't judging you as an individual, I was merely judging your political judgement. And now I've had enough.
    CASE DISMISSED!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    t I wanted to vote for Bernie. I don't agree with him on a fair amount of stuff, but he is a far better personality and I believe would have been a uniter.
    On this we agree. Although many on the far right would simply see him as left-er Jew version of Obama I'm afraid.

We forgot about that one. Has there been a Jewish president yet? May be Bernie can run again next time just to really get the Republicans totally riled. First a black man, then a woman and then a Jew.
    and then Ellen DeGeneres after Bernie, the Reps would implode for good :P
    and then Ellen DeGeneres after Bernie, the Reps would implode for good :P

Yes that would finish them off. They'd self-combust.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 565
    @Getafix and now after 8 years of that the Reps must endure a woman as their leader, times are hard for those poor people.
    Are you for real? I'm not going to deny that there are misogynists out there, but seriously this discrimination branding needs to stop. There are plenty of women republicans in leadership roles...
    I'd say that you're right on that. That said, the extremists are getting to the point where the general population is being turned off to the rhetoric. The difference is Bernie is extremely likable to the point that moderates would sway towards him. There are a few at my office that are strong republicans that wanted Bernie to win the primary (to vote for him in the general) when Trump began taking the lead in the republican primary.
    the extremists are getting to the point where the general population is being turned off to the rhetoric.
    I believe you're right. Pendulums seem to swing faster in this digital age.
    ;)
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 565
    the extremists are getting to the point where the general population is being turned off to the rhetoric.
    I believe you're right. Pendulums seem to swing faster in this digital age.
    ;)
    I don't know how you feel about this, but I would love nothing more than for a third party to become viable. I genuinely feel like that would help stabilize our two parties. It should have never gotten to the point of getting Trump and Clinton as our two only viable options, but here were are.

Where's a Ross Perot when you need one...
    I don't know how you feel about this, but I would love nothing more than for a third party to become viable.
    Yeah, it's time. The GOP is inept & the DNC is corrupt. The time is supremely right for a third party.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Sadly the media doesn't even acknowledge third parties so we're always left with who they desire. We need to remove parties and have a united group to select 1 of a few qualified individuals. No more clowns.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    Sadly the media doesn't even acknowledge third parties so we're always left with who they desire. We need to remove parties and have a united group to select 1 of a few qualified individuals. No more clowns.
    I'm game!! That would actually be even a better option than a third party.

It's too bad because if the right person was running in a third party, this would've been their election. Unfortunately, Johnson, Stein, McMullan, and the others arn't the one.

• I think every vote should be respected in a democratic election. Every vote counts, regardless of someone's choice. Let's not talk about 'deplorables' or 'crooked people' now. I will respect every outcome. Trump? I will quickly swallow my disappointment if he becomes president-elect in a few hours. But it is possible, looking at the massive turnout that seems to become even bigger than 2008 and 2012. Clinton? I will quickly swallow my happiness and follow the upcoming Madam President very critically.
    We had a chance to finally make some progress on the third party front this election. It was squandered by poor candidates like Gary Johnson and Jill Stein. Maybe McMullin can make some headway, but he just didn't get the attention that the others did, especially Johnson, who really blew his opportunity to make some real progress for the Libertarian Party.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    TripAces wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »
    The majority of the American public have every reason to celebrate if Clinton is elected. She is the one who will maintain a progressive policy with focus on strengthening the wellfare of the working class, limiting social divisions, taking the step towards a more environmentaly stable future.

The problem is that a Republican-controlled Congress will keep anything from happening.
    No, the problem is that neither party will work together on things. There's two sides to the coin and Obama has done nothing but aggravate the republican base to score political points.

LOL. Any examples you care to share on this?

I have one. As soon as Obama was elected. McConnell said it's his job to make him a "one term President." Gee. If that wasn't a firing shot, right off the bat, I don't know what is. And it was unprovoked.

TripAces wrote: »

I have one. As soon as Obama was elected. McConnell said it's his job to make him a "one term President." Gee. If that wasn't a firing shot, right off the bat, I don't know what is. And it was unprovoked.

McConnel is a joke. It's a shame that he's in such a position of leadership within the party.

I was hoping that Paul Ryan would be able to come in and do a good job, but he's been no better than any of the other Republican leadership. He could have signaled a shift in the way the party thinks by refusing to endorse Trump, but like the rest of them, he's more about trying to preserve his power than what's actually best for the American people.

• Guys, I try to post some positive stuff in here. Perhaps we should do that more...especially today.
    With candidates like Hillary and Trump it's difficult to stay positive or find positives.

In fact this is the worst choice ever in the free western world.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Guys, I try to post some positive stuff in here. Perhaps we should do that more...especially today.

I am a registered Dyed-in-the-wool Democrat. But I am also open to substantive discussions on the type of government we want, the size and scope of it, the direction we need to take to combat radical Islamic fundamentalism that isn't in contradiction to our values, the ways we need to fix the ACA, and the strategies to make us more energy dependent. I know many Dems who feel the same way. As a nation, we have been dragged into the muck. And there is no real, problem-solving debate going on...in a nation that was built on compromise.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Wake up to find contentious bullshit flying fast and furious.
    Bye.
    With candidates like Hillary and Trump it's difficult to stay positive or find positives.

Nope, not "ever". We got the same choice to make in 2002 : right-wing xenophobe Jean-Marie Le Pen vs. known crook Jacques Chirac. That experience was very sobering, I can tell you that.

• With candidates like Hillary and Trump it's difficult to stay positive or find positives.

I can name some candidates in the free western world pre-1933 who are considerably worse. Considerably.

I can name some candidates in the free western world pre-1933 who are considerably worse. Considerably.

In our time....
    OK I'll keep adding a little much needed humor when I can.

Watching the wives ... ;)
    This may be of minor interest: things on the ballot besides who will become president.
    So if it would be a tie, and I heard it could very well be one in the end, then the Republicans can appoint a President.
    Now that would be interesting to see...
    Take a moment to be thankful the U.S. does have some form of functioning democracy. (yeah, you want to pick that statement apart, go right ahead).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Folks hoping for a third party possibility next time out are living in a complete dreamland. The establishment will crush it before it gets off the ground, unless they want it to serve their purpose like that spoiler wannabee clown McMulliin in Utah.

You had your best chance for a defacto third party candidate this year in Sanders and Trump. One is down and the other is likely to be out by the end of tonight if the polls are to be believed.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm not seeing anything third party about Trump.
This discussion has been closed.