The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• edited November 2016 Posts: 12,301
    I'm reeling from all this. Very sad. It's so shameful.

I'm totally despondent right now.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Apparently Clinton threw in the towel.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    It is Brexit all over again, when will the aristocratic political cast and media ever learn.
    The only way in a democracy to start an uprising is to vote for an uncertain future rather than for something that will only bring more of the same.
    I am not surprised.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The future is certain. We're all F***ed.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    My head is numb and I'm hitting the sack. What a ruddy shame it would be if I didn't wake up.

I think I am going to drop off for a while...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    This was a combination of factors. And it will all be examined over and over for sure, including the demographics (looking like non collage male white voters, those over 40) and there is not one main reason for this, I think. Several.

Grim though it is ... as shameful as this election result has turned out to be (which it is) ... we have to deal with it and we will. We do not want our country destroyed. We need to work together to make sure that Trump's most heinous plans do not come to fruition. We just need to hope that all those people who said "oh Trump doesn't mean that" and "oh he won't be allowed to do that" "oh that is just him talking, it's not practical" - we can hope they are right and that he at least functions to do the least damage to our country.

So that is it. We've simply got our work cut out, America. To save and protect our rights, everything. Let's do it.

Don't panic.......... :)
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    This day will go down in history as the worst since 9/11 I cannot believe that so many Americans have been taken in by this Clown still a lot could happen before January 2017
    We have a lot to deal with, but we will.

And from this The New Yorker:

In the coming days, commentators will attempt to normalize this event. They will try to soothe their readers and viewers with thoughts about the “innate wisdom” and “essential decency” of the American people. They will downplay the virulence of the nationalism displayed, the cruel decision to elevate a man who rides in a gold-plated airliner but who has staked his claim with the populist rhetoric of blood and soil. George Orwell, the most fearless of commentators, was right to point out that public opinion is no more innately wise than humans are innately kind. People can behave foolishly, recklessly, self-destructively in the aggregate just as they can individually. Sometimes all they require is a leader of cunning, a demagogue who reads the waves of resentment and rides them to a popular victory.
    “The point is that the relative freedom which we enjoy depends of public opinion,” Orwell wrote in his essay “Freedom of the Park.” “The law is no protection. Governments make laws, but whether they are carried out, and how the police behave, depends on the general temper in the country. If large numbers of people are interested in freedom of speech, there will be freedom of speech, even if the law forbids it; if public opinion is sluggish, inconvenient minorities will be persecuted, even if laws exist to protect them.”
    http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/an-american-tragedy-donald-trump
    Clinton was the perfect candidate for Trump to go up against. So integrated into the politcal class/elite. With hindsight, they should have gone with Bernie to offer a fresh approach from the left and many young Bernie supporters begged that he should stand. They were right. Clinton and those who selected her as the candidate must shoulder much of the blame for this disaster. Trump was clearly beatable
    Most Americans didn't vote for Trump the person but against the political elite cast which Clinton so perfectly represents.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    We're the laughing stock of the political community.
    On this note ... goodbye for now.
    I have said the most important points, that matter to me, what is true, what is important to me. We have work to do, America.

I'll leave you with this:
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Murdock wrote: »
    We're the laughing stock of the political community.

We always are.
    Hm - of course, I am very happy with the outcome for all the reasons I cared to post during those last weeks. He is not good, but better etc etc. There are things I fear as well - climate for example. But a lot I welcome.

I do feel for those of you, who are devasted. I really do. It must feel awful. Nobody really saw this coming, but the reason for it is what should be taken seriously. Our Merkel will hate this and that's another reason, I am all for it.

Republicans will keep a Senate and House majority even. This really is the landslide win some predicted for Clinton.

I say - give the guy a chance. Maybe there is a difference between the candidate and the man. If only a bit of his speech is true, it deserves a chance.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 6,601
    ..and with that, they shoot themselves into the foot, because Saunders would have probably been a bigger threat then Clinton. They just didn't think so. For once, corruption failed. Lets hope, this is just the start. Never nind, WHO is corrupt and acts corrupt - Trump or others. We need to end this.
    "I don't believe that the men and women who defended American democracy fought to create a situation where billionaires own the political process,"
    B Saunders
  • Now, now, people. Obviously Herr Drumpf was correct. Therefore:
    1) The election was rigged,
    2) I don't accept these results, and
    3) Howzabout that Second Amendment solution?

• While My Guitar Gently Weeps (performed by Lawrence Juber):
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHV-glEJiKKisielF1avD-w
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    Now, now, people. Obviously Herr Drumpf was correct. Therefore:

Why 'Herr Drumpf'? Please explain.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A lot of European leaders are starting to kiss up now, after months of slander and demonizing, helped by the state media.
    This is gonna be interesting to say the least. But I have a good feeling. The old structure will break - something that is very much needed.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Maybe a bit of skepticism is in order.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 3,564
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Now, now, people. Obviously Herr Drumpf was correct. Therefore:

Why 'Herr Drumpf'? Please explain.

Grandfather Drumpf came from Germany & changed his name to Trump. True facts, ain't they fun?

Maybe a bit of skepticism is in order.

Obviously. Like I said, there are some fears in me as well. But more, that at least sounds good. If he means at least some bits of his speech, he is already better then Clinton. We will see. Right now, its only words.

A lot of European leaders are starting to kiss up now, after months of slander and demonizing, helped by the state media.

The many journalists that have demonised and ridiculed Trump for months now have a hard time realising they helped him into office.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Germanlady wrote: »
    For once, corruption failed.

Corruption didn't fail, it was just elected to office.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited November 2016 Posts: 7,854
    Double post
This discussion has been closed.