'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

Neither. It's a preview for one of Big Finish audios, featuring Paul McGann as the Doctor.

https://bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-eighth-doctor---the-time-war-series-01-1384

Note : British Science-Fiction fans will be happy to hear Jacqueline Pearce (alias Servalan in Blake's Seven back.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Why does that have The War Doctor theme? Come to think of it, why is the 8th Doctor even having this set?

"I'm not part of the war, I swear to you?"

If we are going to see the Time War from each past Doctors perspective, put me down for the 7th Doctor set. An argument could be made for the Time War already being underway as of the events of The Curse Of Fenric.

I wonder if John Hurt was going to be involved with this originally, I really need to rewatch some of McCoy's episodes, my brother and nephew met Sylvester at a sci fi convention a month ago.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Why does that have The War Doctor theme? Come to think of it, why is the 8th Doctor even having this set?

If we are going to see the Time War from each past Doctors perspective, put me down for the 7th Doctor set. An argument could be made for the Time War already being underway as of the events of The Curse Of Fenric.

I wonder if John Hurt was going to be involved with this originally, I really need to rewatch some of McCoy's episodes, my brother and nephew met Sylvester at a sci fi convention a month ago.

Would have made more sense with Hurt. As for McCoy, don't let the early stories put you off. While the production values might not improve, the stories do.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Would have made more sense with Hurt. As for McCoy, don't let the early stories put you off. While the production values might not improve, the stories do.

I last watched some of McCoy's episode a few years ago when they aired on the Horror channel, I like Rememberence of the Daleks, McCoy's was a great Doctor when showing his darker side. I watched all his episodes when they first aired as a kid
    TBH i stopped watching Dr Who after Tom Baker's run ended,and only came back when Eccleston appeared.

I watched a few of the Davidson/Baker/McCoy series but didnt like them.
    I watched the film of the 8th Doctor,which was average,very American ,and he kisses etc in it..no thanks.

I grew up with Pertwee & Baker so i wasnt going to put up with that lark.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2017 Posts: 13,894

I last watched some of McCoy's episode a few years ago when they aired on the Horror channel, I like Rememberence of the Daleks, McCoy's was a great Doctor when showing his darker side. I watched all his episodes when they first aired as a kid

Rememberence of the Daleks is one of McCoy's better stories. The best, imo, has to be The Curse Of Fenric. Ghost Light is another notable episode, though it is also a complex story. The trick is to make it through those gaudy, fluffly early episodes, and don't let them colour your perception of this Doctor.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    TBH i stopped watching Dr Who after Tom Baker's run ended,and only came back when Eccleston appeared.

I watched a few of the Davidson/Baker/McCoy series but didnt like them.
    I watched the film of the 8th Doctor,which was average,very American ,and he kisses etc in it..no thanks.

I grew up with Pertwee & Baker so i wasnt going to put up with that lark.

I must admit, I don't get the love many have for Tom Baker, I just can't see what it was that he did. Pertwee though, was a brilliant Doctor. The dapper dandy, with his crushed velvet jackets, cape, and venusian akido. Altogether now, "Hai!"

I watched most of Tom Baker first time round, I vividly remember watching him regenerate it was a big deal at the time I was 7, Davidson bored me never liked his Doctor, I liked the brash Colin Baker I have The Trial of a Timelord boxset, the behind the scenes goings on were more compelling than the shows writing at this point. By the time McCoy came on board BBC wanted rid of Doctor Who, which was a shame as McCoy's Doctor had so much potential
    I watched most of Tom Baker first time round, I vividly remember watching him regenerate it was a big deal at the time I was 7, Davidson bored me never liked his Doctor, I liked the brash Colin Baker I have The Trial of a Timelord boxset, the behind the scenes goings on were more compelling than the shows writing at this point. By the time McCoy came on board BBC wanted rid of Doctor Who, which was a shame as McCoy's Doctor had so much potential

Yeah, i'm not a fan of Davison era, he's very meh as the Doctor. Though I will say that The Caves Of Androzani is a heroic finale for the 5th Doctor (without wallowing in sentimentality in the way that the modern show often does). I like what they did with the 6th Doctor, in giving him a him prickly attitude. But it is the era when the show starts to look tacky.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,375

Yeah, i'm not a fan of Davison era, he's very meh as the Doctor. Though I will say that The Caves Of Androzani is a heroic finale for the 5th Doctor (without wallowing in sentimentality in the way that the modern show often does). I like what they did with the 6th Doctor, in giving him a him prickly attitude. But it is the era when the show starts to look tacky.

Davidson had one or two good episodes there was one particular episode I liked though even just looking at the episode titles I can not remember which one it is, the Tardis appears on a planet where two military factions are fighting?

I think first time round Davidson seemed so different to the confident genius that was Tom Baker that I just was not keen on Davidson take.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Rememberence of the Daleks is one of McCoy's better stories. The best, imo, has to be The Curse Of Fenric.

These are both absolute crackers. I picked up Remembrance on DVD recently and was astonished by how good it is. I loved it first time round, too, but mostly because Ace was running around a school hitting Daleks, which was fun to emulate at playtime. I was 11 and the subtler bits of continuity went over my head rather.

(I still want to be Ace.)
    Pertwee though, was a brilliant Doctor. The dapper dandy, with his crushed velvet jackets, cape, and venusian akido. Altogether now, "Hai!"

My very favourite. Can I just show off this T-shirt, which I love to bits and wear often?

pertwee-1.jpg
    I still am not sure about the new series and cast? I will obviously watch the Christmas special as I think Capaldi has been brilliant in the role, and want to see how his tenure comes to an end?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I can't see all of those characters travelling in the Tardis. Maybe Bradley Walsh's character will be Earth bound? I can't picture him as a bedazzled accidental time traveller.

NicNac wrote: »
    I can't see all of those characters travelling in the Tardis. Maybe Bradley Walsh's character will be Earth bound? I can't picture him as a bedazzled accidental time traveller.

The amount of companions is starting to annoy me even before anything has happened...it just takes a lot of attention away from the Doctor.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

The amount of companions is starting to annoy me even before anything has happened...it just takes a lot of attention away from the Doctor.

Can't see that they'll all be introduced at the same time. Indeed I would imagine the Doctor will 'collect' them on her travels. And there have often been multiple companions, indeed it started (if you count Susan as a companion) with 3. So I'm not worried, at least we won't have a companion fawning over the Doctor…

Can't see that they'll all be introduced at the same time. Indeed I would imagine the Doctor will 'collect' them on her travels. And there have often been multiple companions, indeed it started (if you count Susan as a companion) with 3. So I'm not worried, at least we won't have a companion fawning over the Doctor

Amen to that !!

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 13,936
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    My very favourite. Can I just show off this T-shirt, which I love to bits and wear often?
    That is an awesome shirt @Agent_99. Love the concept, thanks for sharing. Actually, I haven't seen any of Pertwee's tenure yet, only all of newwho, most of Hartnell/Troughton and a bit of Tom. I have vague memories of seeing the show back in the late 80s. Now, I've been watching the series from the start, and I do love DW, but forgive me if I admit that some of these earliest episodes are a struggle to get through, also taking into account animations of missing episodes. I'm getting through them very slowly, up to 'The Invasion' at the moment.

Definitely curious and looking forward to seeing how this next season pans out.
    @Agent_99 I want one of those t-shirts.
  • For anyone working their way through Troughton, 'The War Games' is a real treat and a fine send-off for a truly great Doctor.

The Time Lords would never again be as unsettlingly intimidating as they were here.
  • Oh, and that Pertwee t-shirt is a thing of beauty.

There's something to be said for having a Doctor who likes a touch of Venusian aikido when the situation calls for it, and is not immune to the temptation of stealing the odd sandwich, too.

Of course, with Pertwee's era, you also get the most of the greatest 'ally' the Doctor ever had - The Brigadier.
    For anyone working their way through Troughton, 'The War Games' is a real treat and a fine send-off for a truly great Doctor.

The Time Lords would never again be as unsettlingly intimidating as they were here.
    There's something to be said for having a Doctor who likes a touch of Venusian aikido when the situation calls for it, and is not immune to the temptation of stealing the odd sandwich, too.

Of course, with Pertwee's era, you also get the most of the greatest 'ally' the Doctor ever had - The Brigadier.
    Nice, I'm a few episodes away from this. Can't wait!
    QBranch wrote: »
    For anyone working their way through Troughton, 'The War Games' is a real treat and a fine send-off for a truly great Doctor.

Nice, I'm a few episodes away from this. Can't wait!

I grew up with Pertwee first as my Doctor,i was genuinely scared with some episodes..great fun.

And you will get colour as well, Q !!

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl

Yes!! Love a bit of Brig. The man who would rather have a pint than go Morris dancing.
    And you will get colour as well, Q !!
    That's great. But I must turn off the colour once I get to Colin Baker.
    Definately...but i had stopped watching them after Tom Baker.
    The writers of the modern show could learn a lot from The War Games. There's no blubbering, and the Doctor doesn't cry out "I don't want to go" (he clearly doesn't, but still...). Yes, it's emotional, but it doesn't belly flop into a pool of tears. Anyone going into it for the first time, don't let its length put you off, just enjoy Troughton's swansong as the (main) Doctor.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The writers of the modern show could learn a lot from The War Games. There's no blubbering, and the Doctor doesn't cry out "I don't want to go" (he clearly doesn't, but still...). Yes, it's emotional, but it doesn't belly flop into a pool of tears. Anyone going into it for the first time, don't let its length put you off, just enjoy Troughton's swansong as the (main) Doctor.

Hear! Hear! And a great release too. Three disc and plenty of bonus stuff. One of the few I've bought on release day and paid the full price. My fourteen year-old son has watched this a few times and last time when he was ill watched the whole thing in a day! This is proper Doctor Who.
    This just in :

Prince Charles appears a reluctant Time Lord as he tries Doctor Who's time machine.

It has been said before that the Prince of Wales, a fan of Doctor Who since the age of 15, would make quite a good Time Lord.

And when he emerged from a Tardis in Kuala Lumpar, he could almost have been mistaken for one, bar a rather bashful comment that perhaps he should have taken a different door.
    The Prince, who is on an 11-day tour of south-east Asia and India, was visiting a working space for start-up companies when he gamely stepped into the makeshift Tardis.
    He was no doubt relieved that he was only transported a few feet into a members-only area, where he met young entrepreneurs, tech savvy school children showcasing projects and established businesses.

The Tardis was created as the doorway from a public space into a private area and, as staff walked through a nearby side entrance, the heir to the throne emerged from the replica of the BBC character's sci-fi machine.

He joked that he should perhaps of followed suit, telling onlookers: "I should have gone through the side (door)" before sitting down to a meeting with executives from some of Malaysia's established technology firms
    When the Prince paid a visit to the Doctor Who set in Cardiff four years ago, he told former Doctor Matt Smith and his co-star Jenna-Louise Coleman that he was a dedicated fan of the drama.

Smith said: "He took quite a lot of interest in the Tardis's controls and asked a lot of questions about it. He told me and Jenna that he'd been a big fan of the show since he was 15 – which we didn't know."
    After a valiant attempt at a Dalek impersonation, yelling "exterminate, exterminate" through a microphone attached to a voice modulator, the show's lead writer, Stephen Moffat, said: "Prince Charles's attempt at being a Dalek was great. There would be a part in the show for him if he wanted it."

Smith added: "He's got the makings of a future Doctor!"

The Prince and the Duchess of Cornwall, who earlier this week was flying solo in Singapore, are due to carry out a series of engagements throughout the day.
  • The writers of the modern show could learn a lot from The War Games. There's no blubbering, and the Doctor doesn't cry out "I don't want to go" (he clearly doesn't, but still...). Yes, it's emotional, but it doesn't belly flop into a pool of tears. Anyone going into it for the first time, don't let its length put you off, just enjoy Troughton's swansong as the (main) Doctor.

I thought Eccleston's exit found a nice balance with emotion. It was definitely heartfelt and emotional but it wasn't melodramatic. I agree that with Tennant and Smith they went a bit overboard, so I'm curious to see how it goes with Capaldi.