'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    NicNac wrote: »
    What's SJW Major?

Social Justice Warrior. Seeing the Doctor punch someone for displaying a racist attitude, when racism wasn't even a thing, that rubbed me up the wrong way. The Doctor could have educated the guy with a speech, he likes making speeches. But educating the racist chap with a speech doesn't earn the show as many virtue points as physically assaulting him does. If that attitude is gone completely, and I don't think it will be, I might give the next series a chance. If not, well at least I still have my DVDs and Audio Dramas.

I loved that bit. That's one of Capaldi's best moments as the doctor imo. Gives her that big talk about being diplomatic and letting him do the talking then decks the guy straight away because he cares too much about his friend to just sit back and let her take it. Racist attitudes being common because of the time period are still racist attitudes and besides he's a time lord.

But physically assaulting him? The Doctor is more of a thinking hero, I just think that punching him, rather than making a stirring speech about attitudes in the future, tarnishes the character a bit.
    Historical context doesn't matter to him and to his species race, gender, etc are meaningless. So racism must seem even more barbaric to him than it does to us. I found it refreshing that they actually addressed it at all and I think the way they did is much more realistic than him doing a speech. Victorian or not this guy was making his friend feel subhuman because of her skin colour. Punching him is a very realistic and for us watching (well for me at least) funny/satisfying reaction.

It's a science fiction show involving time travel, I don't think realism needs to be added in. If you mean realistic for the character, then i'd argue making a speech would be more appropriate, as he it is a thinking hero. At the end of the day, it was one of a number of moments that clearly wasn't intended to appeal to me.
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,512
    The first Broadchurch is excellent, the second is lacklustre and the third is passable.
  • NicNac wrote: »
    What's SJW Major?

Social Justice Warrior. Seeing the Doctor punch someone for displaying a racist attitude, when racism wasn't even a thing, that rubbed me up the wrong way. The Doctor could have educated the guy with a speech, he likes making speeches. But educating the racist chap with a speech doesn't earn the show as many virtue points as physically assaulting him does. If that attitude is gone completely, and I don't think it will be, I might give the next series a chance. If not, well at least I still have my DVDs and Audio Dramas.

I loved that bit. That's one of Capaldi's best moments as the doctor imo. Gives her that big talk about being diplomatic and letting him do the talking then decks the guy straight away because he cares too much about his friend to just sit back and let her take it. Racist attitudes being common because of the time period are still racist attitudes and besides he's a time lord.

But physically assaulting him? The Doctor is more of a thinking hero, I just think that punching him, rather than making a stirring speech about attitudes in the future, tarnishes the character a bit.
    Historical context doesn't matter to him and to his species race, gender, etc are meaningless. So racism must seem even more barbaric to him than it does to us. I found it refreshing that they actually addressed it at all and I think the way they did is much more realistic than him doing a speech. Victorian or not this guy was making his friend feel subhuman because of her skin colour. Punching him is a very realistic and for us watching (well for me at least) funny/satisfying reaction.

It's a science fiction show involving time travel, I don't think realism needs to be added in. If you mean realistic for the character, then i'd argue making a speech would be more appropriate, as he it is a thinking hero. At the end of the day, it was one of a number of moments that clearly wasn't intended to appeal to me.

I mean just realistic for anyone with emotions really. But I think it depends which doctor. Might have seemed out of place in David Tennant's day but Capaldi is a bit more pragmatic, I can remember him having a couple of little fight scenes (his first episode where he killed the guy by throwing him off the balloon, and the master in the s10 finale) so it didn't seem out of character to me at all. I could see it working with Eccleston too as he was a lot more down to earth. Even Matt Smith I can picture doing it. Tennant is the only one where I think it'd seem a bit weird as he was a very kind optimistic kind of character.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 5,806
    And let's not forget Pertwee and the Venusian aikido. And Troughton wasn't above sending a spaceship full of Ice Warriors into the Sun, if I recall.

This said, a few bits of casting news here :

radiotimes.com/news/2017-08-24/hollyoaks-star-jared-garfield-to-play-classic-doctor-who-companion-in-christmas-special/
    As did Tennant ,drowning all the Racnoss children ruthlessly.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    NicNac wrote: »
    What's SJW Major?

I mean just realistic for anyone with emotions really. But I think it depends which doctor. Might have seemed out of place in David Tennant's day but Capaldi is a bit more pragmatic, I can remember him having a couple of little fight scenes (his first episode where he killed the guy by throwing him off the balloon, and the master in the s10 finale) so it didn't seem out of character to me at all. I could see it working with Eccleston too as he was a lot more down to earth. Even Matt Smith I can picture doing it. Tennant is the only one where I think it'd seem a bit weird as he was a very kind optimistic kind of character.

That's fair enough, I just think it it looks like they were to busy trying to fight racism, that they didn't think the situation through.
    Gerard wrote: »
    And let's not forget Pertwee and the Venusian aikido. And Troughton wasn't above sending a spaceship full of Ice Warriors into the Sun, if I recall.

This said, a few bits of casting news here :

radiotimes.com/news/2017-08-24/hollyoaks-star-jared-garfield-to-play-classic-doctor-who-companion-in-christmas-special/

To be fair, Pertwee only used his Venusian aikido in self defense. If were are ging to question the (3rd) Doctors use of violence, that Ogron in The Day Of The Daleks, would make a better example.

Jump to 01:00:

That Ogron looks like it was armed, but there was nothing stopping the Doctor from ducking back into cover.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 1,310
    I live in the States so I first saw Walsh in Law and Order: UK, where I thought he was 100% believable as this down-to-business, veteran detective. I had just assumed Walsh was primarily a dramatic actor. So it came as a great surprise to find out (many years later) that he's really known as a comedian and game show host.

Seriously though, I thought he was phenomenal in Law and Order. Did people in the UK, knowing who he was before he took that role, find him convincing? I personally believe he's got the acting talent to pull off light and dramatic and I would be mildly interested to see him in Doctor Who. Maybe not as a companion as the rumor says, but more of a guest role in a two-parter or something.

The last new Doctor Who episode I can remember watching is something with Peter Capaldi and a mummy on a train, after that I just kind of never watched it again. I'll probably skip this Christmas episode, but I am curious to see how Jodie Whittaker's first episode will fare.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Sorry to derail the thread chaps. I'm not a Dr Who fan at all - just a passing interest (although I did love it as a kid) but I was wondering what the general consensus among Whovians was toward Peter Cushing's Dr Who and The Daleks and its sequel? Are they seen as stand alone, non-cannon entires (similar to Never Say Never Again) and are they thought of fondly? And do they make any bad errors with the character and his history of the Doctor
    Non-canon, both of them. For starters, in these movies, the Dotor Who (yes, that's his name) is human, Barbara is his granddaughter, and Susan is a little girl and not a teenager. In fact, both movies are adaptations of the first two Dalek stories. Some things are wrong (the Daleks fire smoke instead of death rays, the male heroes are turned into bumbling comical sidekicks), but some are very good (Susan shows more of a spine than her TV counterpart). So, YMMV, but I like them, and consider them an interesting footnote in the history of the show.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 5,806
    Class has been officially cancelled. Can't say I'm surprised, really, given the promotion, or rather the lack of promotion, the BBC gave to the series.

doctorwhonews.net/2017/09/class-officially-cancelled.html

What really gets my goat, so to speak, is that now we'll most probably never get any kind of resolution to the three big cliffhangers the series ended with. Will April get out of that body ? What of the Board of Governors allegiance to the Weeping Angels ? And will Miss Quill die during childbirth as the female of her species do, or is the fact that her unborn child(ren) is(are) an hybrid save her life ? Frankly, this should be the first commandment of series writers : Thou Shalt Not End A Season On A Cliffhanger !

And on another note, I read the next four books of the Doctor Who / Mistr Men series, and enjoyed them. There's a french version coming soon. I now know what gift my grand-niecewill receive for her Christmas.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Class has been officially cancelled. Can't say I'm surprised, really, given the promotion, or rather the lack of promotion, the BBC gave to the series.

s3.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/photoshop/4/7/0/629470_v2.jpg

What really gets my goat, so to speak, is that now we'll most probably never get any kind of resolution to the three big cliffhangers the series ended with. Will April get out of that body ? What of the Board of Governors allegiance to the Weeping Angels ? And will Miss Quill die during childbirth as the female of her species do, or is the fact that her unborn child(ren) is(are) an hybrid save her life ? Frankly, this should be the first commandment of series writers : Thou Shalt Not End A Season On A Cliffhanger !

And on another note, I read the next four books of the Doctor Who / Mistr Men series, and enjoyed them. There's a french version coming soon. I now know what gift my grand-niecewill receive for her Christmas.

I only watched the first episode of Class it did not grab me, I guess because of the reboot that's a prime reason for cancellation.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Why is Dodo disliked so much? Of the stories to feature her, I have seen The Ark as well as The War Machines, and I haven't seen anything to warrant the hate she attracts.
    I don't know either. I've seen all the surviving episodes featuring her, and I don't understand why people don't like her. But of course, she came in the Tardis at a very turbulent time for the production, so here might be a reason. Not a good reason, but a reason.

More bad news : the Doctor Who Experience has closed. I've been there twice, once in London, once in Cardiff, which means I've been insulted by two Doctors, but each and every time it was worth it. To give you an idea of what it was like to visit it :

Hopefully, it will regenerate elsewhere. One can hope.
    With the likes of Adric and Mel, I can understand the dislike, though not completely agree when it concerns the latter.

I have never been to the DW experience, but with a new Doctor arriving at christmas, I would be surprised if the experience didn't re-open elsewhere.
    Thursday marked 30 years since the 6th Doctor regenerated into the 7th Doctor.

img.jpg?w=640&h=1006
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Not bad, but are we sure it's the real one ? I saw it in Cardiff in 2015, and I know that this was a popular conversion in the seventies.

This said, the synopsis for the Christmas episode "Twice Upon A Time" has been revealed :

radiotimes.com/news/2017-09-16/doctor-who-christmas-special-2017-synopsis/
    wo Doctors stranded in a forbidding snowscape, refusing to face regeneration. And a British army captain seemingly destined to die in the First World War, but taken from the trenches to play his part in the Doctor’s story. This is the magical last chapter in the Twelfth Doctor’s epic adventure. He must face his past to decide his future. And the Doctor will realise the resilience of humanity, discovering hope in his darkest frozen moment. It’s the end of an era. But the Doctor’s journey is only just beginning.

Well, as clear as any politician's speech, really. Nothing really new.
    And to end on the "Doctor Men" books, here are the last four Doctors in the collection :

dr-third-59d35e56.jpg

dr-fifth-59d35e56.jpg

dr-sixth-59d35eb6.jpg

dr-tenth-59d35e56.jpg

No "Doctor Thirteenth" yet, but I guess it won't be long now. These four books will be out in february (some say the 6th) 2018.

doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/third-fifth-sixth-and-tenth-doctors-get-a-mr-men-makeover
    I'm going to look daft here,but are these actually authorised Mr Men books ?
    Not only are they authroized, but they're done by Adam Hargreaves, the son of Roger Hargreaves himself. I've got the first eight, and they're charming.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Not only are they authroized, but they're done by Adam Hargreaves, the son of Roger Hargreaves himself. I've got the first eight, and they're charming.

Wow i didnt know that..i used to have Mr Men books since i was tiny back in 1973+ and i read them to my daughters..i have a special one ,not a normal Mr Man,signed by Roger Hargreaves,which only a few were made for a charity.

And i loved Arthur Lowe's narration on the early tv series..happy days as a kiddie.
    Happy birthday to K-9 ! 40 years since yesterday, that's quite long for a dog !

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/10/forty-years-of-k-9.html

image.php?pid=25388&w=400

k9_dvd_promo_5923.jpg

k9_cake.jpg
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Suggestions in the media that the next series could have fewer episodes but longer running times.

E.g. 10 episodes at an hour a peice.

The scripts would need to be very involving to keep people interested.
    That's what I saw too, and what I think.

doctorwhotv.co.uk/rumour-series-11-to-have-fewer-but-longer-eps-new-tardis-sonic-86227.htm

But how accurate is that ? After all, it's the Mirror.
    Indeed. Wasn't it the Mirror that reported back in 2004 that Dr Who was returning with Eric Idle as the Doctor? Made the front page
    Is this really the wisest time to do this? They already have to introduce a controversial new Doctor, you'd think they wouldn't want to make any further changes? What next, changing the Police Box into a run down BT Phone box with shattered glass and covered in graffiti?
    Is this really the wisest time to do this? They already have to introduce a controversial new Doctor, you'd think they wouldn't want to make any further changes? What next, changing the Police Box into a run down BT Phone box with shattered glass and covered in graffiti?

We'll see when the new Doctor visits us on the Telly, until then you will loads of horsedunk being presented as facts.

Not unlike the "facts"about the next 007 movie.
    SaintMark wrote: »

We'll see when the new Doctor visits us on the Telly, until then you will loads of horsedunk being presented as facts.

Talking of (potential) horsedunk, there is something I have been meaning to bring up in this thread. What does everyone think of this:

This goes into it with a little more detail:

http://www.endofthelane.co.uk/burton.html

It's all very odd how the only "evidence" is the word of one actor.
    The next "classic episode" to come is "Shada", which gets a new animated adaptation, with the original cast reprising their roles for the scenes that couldn't be filmed due to industrial action :

doctorwhonews.net/2017/10/shada-gets-animated-completion.html

Frankly, I don't really see the point. I bought the last version of the DVD a few years ago, and it seems that the bonus are the same. Plus, I would have preferred if they had animated some of the missing adventures of Hartnell and Troughton (18, by my count), like "Fury from the Deep", "The Crusades", "Evil of the Daleks", etc. And i'm sure everyone here will agree with me. Still, the fan in me will be very tempted to buy it. But of course, he' hard to keep in check.
    SaintMark wrote: »

Talking of (potential) horsedunk, there is something I have been meaning to bring up in this thread. What does everyone think of this:

This goes into it with a little more detail:

http://www.endofthelane.co.uk/burton.html

It's all very odd how the only "evidence" is the word of one actor.

Wow, never ever heard of that before. Fascinating, but I would suspect he's a little bit of a fantasist.