'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• edited July 2017 Posts: 12,837
    NicNac wrote: »
    Ach, your opinions are too considered, sensible and rational @thelivingroyale, I need to appeal to the crazy people who jabber to themselves and randomly stalk people. They will understand my opinions ;)

In truth though, you are quite right. In fact the idea of a female Doctor goes back to 1981 when Tom Baker quit the show and famously joked about the idea, causing a media frenzy. Then Joanna Lumley played a female Doctor in a sketch, and still it didn't gather sufficient momentum. Now this brave soul Chibnall is making it happen.

It still smacks of PC of course but if it was Chibnall's decision alone, with no pressure from the BBC, then we have to accept it's his vision for the show, and his head on the block. It will make or break him I guess, so he had better get his scripts spot on. No actor looks good with a poor script.

I try my best ;) And that's all too true, it's the scripts that'll make or break things as always.

Anyway, in the interest of keeping things interesting, how about we change the subject and talk about what other changes we want? I'm hoping for a male companion, a new TARDIS, no Daleks, no Cybermen, no Master, no Time Lords, no UNIT, a new take on the theme music/credits, the Weeping Angels coming back properly, more episodes set on earth and more exciting guest stars. In terms of the format I think series 10 did it well, no strict rigid story arc but enough continuity to give the sense that this is one long story instead of just random adventures every week.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    As Roger said in Moonraker 'A Woman' I don't know if I like the idea of The Tardis with scatter cushions but a Lady Doctor needs to be given a chance So that's what I'm going to do.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Gerard wrote: »
    20046821_10155619...952441_n-52b0318.jpg

I'm afraid that some here have ticked all the boxes.

Dammit, I'm nearly there on the diagonal running from the bottom left to top right, except for one. So here it is, so I can win this crummy bingo:

I'm a woman, and I hate this decision.

qr9WA.gif
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @thelivingroyale - here's a few i'd like to see/not see:

- A new theme arrangement and title sequence (that's a given, really)
    - The Sea Devils, in an aquatic spy thriller. Sort of like an underwater version of The Moonbase, replacing The Cybermen with The Sea Devils, incorporated with elemets of a spy thriller (as so many classic era episodes took elements from films, books, other tv shows etc..)
    - New TARDIS interior
    - No politcal/social jibes
    - No Daleks
    - Cybermen, but only if they are in the style of 'The Invasion' Cybermen (the best ones imo)
    - The Meddling Monk
    - The Yeti
    - No Master/Missy
    New Tardis interior, that one we're sure to get. No Daleks : we're probably going to get them anyway, due to contractual obligations. But as long as they are kept to a minimum... No political / social jibes : those have been part of the show almost since it began (recently watched "The Sun Makers", for example. Illuminating.).

What I would like to see : the return of the Rani. The Axons would be fine too. And yes, the Sea devils. Oh, and a resolution to the two big cliffhangers from Class. I hate it when a series ends on a cliffhanger, with no resolution in sight (Bugs, anyone ?)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I would have really liked to have seen The Rani return. Moffat wouldn't bring her back because he didn't think modern audiences would remember her. Bit of an odd thing to say, from the person would could have introduced The Rani to modern audiences. I think part of the reason The Rani was created, was to show that not everyone on Gallifrey is a woman. A Timelady who was an intellectual equal for both The Doctor and The Master. In light of recent developments, it would a bit pointless now. They should have brought The Rani back and had Michelle Gomez play the part.
    Well i want equal rights for men! So?!!!!! I want a film for:

Batwoman!
    Spiderwoman!
    Wonderman!
    Poision Ivan!!!! Lol!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    + 1 for Poison Ivan Drago please. :))
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The bbc radio player, now doesn't allow you to download the "lost series" of
    Dr who adventures, ( which it used to ) ....... the conspiracy is spreading !
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 5,808
    And who is yur favourite to play the new Companion ? Mine is Evanna Lynch. Yes, the Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter. I can see her play a Vicki or Ace type of character. And for people who wonder what she's been up to since The Deadly Hallows, she's acting in Disco Pigs in London :

radiotimes.com/news/2017-07-19/disco-pigs-review-harry-potter-actress-evanna-lynch-stars-in-a-gripping-coming-of-age-drama

Oh, and I would like the Doctor to meet Roald Dahl. It's past time that the two most famous citizens of Cardiff cross paths.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 12,837
    I think Zawe Ashton and Craig Roberts are two others that'd make great but very different companions (both of those two could make good doctors actually).

- The Sea Devils, in an aquatic spy thriller. Sort of like an underwater version of The Moonbase, replacing The Cybermen with The Sea Devils, incorporated with elemets of a spy thriller (as so many classic era episodes took elements from films, books, other tv shows etc..)
    - New TARDIS interior
    - No Daleks
    - Cybermen, but only if they are in the style of 'The Invasion' Cybermen (the best ones imo)
    - The Meddling Monk
    - The Yeti
    - No Master/Missy

I like the political stuff as long as it has a point. I thought the stuff in Oxygen, a bunch of miners literally fighting the suits, was very clever. I enjoyed Thin Ice for similar reasons. Well done social/political commentary is great imo. Inserting "haha isn't Donald Trump stupid" jibes at random, like they did a couple of times this series, just comes across as pandering. Now if they wanted to do a storyline with a Trump esque figure that took the piss, that'd be cool.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Gerard wrote: »
    And who is yur favourite to play the new Companion ? Mine is Evanna Lynch. Yes, the Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter. I can see her play a Vicki or Ace type of character. And for people who wonder what she's been up to since The Deadly Hallows, she's acting in Disco Pigs in London :

radiotimes.com/news/2017-07-19/disco-pigs-review-harry-potter-actress-evanna-lynch-stars-in-a-gripping-coming-of-age-drama

Oh, and I would like the Doctor to meet Roald Dahl. It's past time that the two most famous citizens of Cardiff cross paths.

It will be a male companion to complete the task of showing that women can be in charge of men. I'm not being ironic or bitter. That is where they are going with this.
    I think Zawe Ashton and Craig Roberts are two others that'd make great but very different companions (both of those two could make good doctors actually).

- New TARDIS interior
    - No Daleks
    - The Meddling Monk
    - The Yeti
    - No Master/Missy

I like the political stuff as long as it has a point. I thought the stuff in Oxygen, a bunch of miners literally fighting the suits, was very clever. I enjoyed Thin Ice for similar reasons. Well done social/political commentary is great imo. Inserting "haha isn't Donald Trump stupid" jibes at random, like they did a couple of times this series, just comes across as pandering. Now if they wanted to do a storyline with a Trump esque figure that took the piss, that'd be cool.

That is really what I mean. And i'm not even a Trump supporter (i'm not even American), frankly, I wouldn't have voted for Clinton either, but that is for another thread. Trump jokes are the lowest hanging fruit of comedy.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 19,339
    I would love to see the Devils/Demons return,without the master summoning them.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Trailer for the christmas special, Twice Upon A Time:

Don't know how I feel about
    Bill being in it. I think part of the reason I accepted the series 10 ending despite it being a bit of a cop out was that Bill and The Doctor both thought eachother were dead, so there was still some real consequences after all that. But both of them alive and reunited? I really liked the character so part of me is happy she'll get a proper goodbye but I really don't know. If it means Pearl Mackie (and Matt Lucas?) stay on for another series though then I'm all for it.

Other than that looks good. Series 10 was brilliant so hopefully they'll keep it up for this last episode. I do think him already being dying takes the edge off a bit though. It feels like we've already seen his final battle and that this is more of an epilougue. Looks like fun though so can't really complain. And with it being Moffat's last episode as well as Capaldi's it's pretty much unmissable imo.
    Certainly looks good. I hope that
    Bill doesn't stay on and we have some weird quasi lesbian crush thing going on. I like Bill, but that would not sit comfortably with me
    @NicNac
    It has been confirmed that Bill is a one series and done character.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-07-23/pearl-mackie-confirms-that-she-will-not-return-to-doctor-who-beyond-the-christmas-special

Although what you said wouldn't surprise me given the direction the show has been taking. There has already been a multi-species alien lesbian couple.
    Yes of course, I forgot about them. Groan.

Still, always watched the show, so I guess I can plough on regardless :)
    I'll watch the special, but after that, I don't know. The one sided attitude that has been creeping in the show over recent series has really made me uncomfortable. With a female Doctor, I can't help feel that it will only intensify. It's no biggie, as they say. I get my regular fix of the 7th Doctor through Big Finish, and I have been meaning to look into buying the 7th Doctor New Adventures books as well.
    What do you mean by 'one sided attitude' Major ?
    That General, who regenerated into a black female. The first words out of her/it was about the male ego. Imagine if the genders were reversed, and the first words spoken were about women applying makeup while driving (or some other gender-based insult). They would be snowed under with complaints. There was a comment from River Song about the 12 Doctor, it was about his expression when thinking, and it couldn't be said without mentioning his male gender.

It isn't so much what is being said that it the problem, but the double standard. So when the new Doctor flies the TARDIS through a vortex, and they are rocked by "tumultuous buffeting", does that mean that someone will comment on female drivers? I would be very surprised if that comment is made.

I don't wish anything like ill health on Whittaker (as some people actually have), or for the show to fail (also what some have), but that attitude it very offputting.
  • With all this talk about potential new companions, I'd just like to take a minute to mention one we lost last week: Deborah Watling. Her Victoria Waterfield is a very underrated companion, and one that is easy to deride, especially from people who haven't actually watched (or heard) her episodes. On the surface she was the archetypal 'damsel in distress' which certainly would never be permitted these days. But, in reality, she was a young Victorian lady, who had just lost her father, and found a home, out of her time, on board the TARDIS with the Doctor and Jamie (another character from long ago). She had a fragility armed with Victorian spirit (as well as beauty) that was much better suited to the character's situation than a modern day sassy approach would be.

Deborah Watling got the nickname "Leather Lungs" because of her ear-splitting scream, which cleverly was actually used as a plot device to defeat the alien menace in Fury From The Deep.

Patrick Troughton is my favourite Doctor, so I had a bit of a soft spot for Victoria (as well as Jamie and Zoe).

RIP Deborah.
    That General, who regenerated into a black female. The first words out of her/it was about the male ego. Imagine if the genders were reversed, and the first words spoken were about women applying makeup while driving (or some other gender-based insult). They would be snowed under with complaints. There was a comment from River Song about the 12 Doctor, it was about his expression when thinking, and it couldn't be said without mentioning his male gender.

It isn't so much what is being said that it the problem, but the double standard. So when the new Doctor flies the TARDIS through a vortex, and they are rocked by "tumultuous buffeting", does that mean that someone will comment on female drivers? I would be very surprised if that comment is made.

I don't wish anything like ill health on Whittaker (as some people actually have), or for the show to fail (also what some have), but that attitude it very offputting.

I see what you mean,although I have to be honest,none of the comments registered with me.

This just in :

Doctor Who boss Steven Moffat FINALLY reveals the Time Lord's name .
    Departing Doctor Who boss Steven Moffat has finally answered one of the show's most nagging unanswered questions.

Fans have long debated what the Time Lord's name actually is.

During an appearance at Comic-Con in San Diego on Sunday, the outgoing writer and executive producer finally laid to rest the fiery debate.
    Moffat insisted his name is Doctor Who and not the Doctor, as many believe.

"There isn't any doubt about it, I'm sorry. It was established in The War Machines (episode) that his name is Doctor Who," he told thousands of fans.

He provided a slew of evidence to back up his point, including signing letters "Doctor W" and the third Doctor having a "Who" licence plate.
    "He doesn't often call himself Doctor Who because it's a bloody stupid name," Moffat added.

But he handed an excuse to fans who want to go on insisting the contrary, joking this could be "equally true" because "what would Doctor Who continuity be without blatant and unresolvable contradiction".

Moffat also had his say on the 'imaginary backlash' against the new female Doctor.
    The BBC sci-fi show has faced some criticism for casting Jodie Whittaker as the thirteenth incarnation of the Doctor.

But Moffat has claimed that the negative response has been blown out of proportion and that only a "few tiny made people" are kicking up a storm.

He was interviewed alongside Peter Capaldi, who will be giving up the role this Christmas, and Sherlock star Mark Gatiss at Comic-Con.
    Speaking to Empire, Moffat said: "One thing to say about the reaction. It's kind of as if Doctor Who fans are being slightly vilified at the moment.

"Loads of journalists are writing about a completely imaginary backlash against the Doctor. It hasn't happened.

"It was something like 80% of social media was thrilled. Doctor Who fans here are absolutely thrilled about Jodie being the Doctor.
    There has been nothing - only a few tiny made people somewhere. The amount of journalism being devoted to saying there's been some huge reaction - there hasn't been.

"In fact most of the fans aren't even reacting to the fact it's a female Doctor, they are saying Jodie Whittaker is a brilliant actor what a good piece of casting."

Moffat will be steeping down as showrunner to make way for Chris Chibnall after seven years at the helm.
    Peter Capaldi, the twelfth Doctor, has already spoken to Whittaker who will replace him during the Christmas special this year.

On his departure, he said: "I find it quite sad but I’m very excited about Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall and all the great things they’re going to do with the programme.

"I’m a fan of Doctor Who and I’m really excited about what they’re going to do with the future of the show. Obviously it’s sad not being the Doctor anymore but there’s a whole new chapter beginning and I’m excited about that."
    Doctor Who has faced an immediate backlash after the thirteenth star to take the main role was unveiled to be female.

In a striking example of modern day attitudes towards equal opportunities, a large response from Who fans was one of outrage.

Loyal fans of the long running BBC children’s Sci-Fi series took to Twitter to blast the decision to cast actress Jodie Whittaker as the titular Doctor.

"Time LORD. I repeat the Doctor is a time LORD. Not a time LADY,” raged one incensed fan on the social media site.

"You've ruined it now,” blasted another.

While another fan tweeted at the BBC: "Are you f**king kidding me you've ruined doctor who for me and my father in law. You might as well just cancelled the show.”

Indeed, Twitter became a melting pot of angry messages from viewers who couldn't accept that the character they love - a shape shifting, thousands of years old, two hearted humanoid - could possible be played by a woman.

Viewers vowed to switch off, with one tweeting: "I'm not watching anymore."

Another asked: "No more dr who for me and my son what have you done."

While a female fan tweeted: "Raging, ruined an amazing programme with a female doctor!"

A somewhat lively debate emerged among the angered comments, with many praising the BBC for dragging one of their most iconic characters into 2017.

One fan slammed those who showed anger over the casting, tweeting: "For each sexist bigot threatening to not watch, there'll be a young girl with a new hero they didn't have before #GoodRiddance #Doctor13”.

And another taking aim over the casting furore wrote: "To misogynists moaning about #Doctor13: You're not the target audience. It's aimed at children w/ grown-up minds, not the other way around.”

Jodie will replace Peter Capaldi as the Doctor following the Christmas special episode expected to air in December.

She will then lead the cast of the long running adventure series when it returns for the eleventh series of it’s current run in 2018.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm just thinking about a bit of Girl on Girl
    Adventures in the Big blue box !
    With all this talk about potential new companions, I'd just like to take a minute to mention one we lost last week: Deborah Watling. Her Victoria Waterfield is a very underrated companion, and one that is easy to deride, especially from people who haven't actually watched (or heard) her episodes. On the surface she was the archetypal 'damsel in distress' which certainly would never be permitted these days. But, in reality, she was a young Victorian lady, who had just lost her father, and found a home, out of her time, on board the TARDIS with the Doctor and Jamie (another character from long ago). She had a fragility armed with Victorian spirit (as well as beauty) that was much better suited to the character's situation than a modern day sassy approach would be.

Deborah Watling got the nickname "Leather Lungs" because of her ear-splitting scream, which cleverly was actually used as a plot device to defeat the alien menace in Fury From The Deep.

Patrick Troughton is my favourite Doctor, so I had a bit of a soft spot for Victoria (as well as Jamie and Zoe).

RIP Deborah.
    Seconded. She and Jamie worked well together, and it's sad to see another iconic companion die.

Yes, the Doctor has always been teased by his companions for his inability to read emotions or say the wrong thing (noticeable in the Capaldi era). It will be interesting if they scrap that altogether now to continue the appeasement of the liberal leftie lesbians who have demanded their female Doctor. He/she must continue to be a boffin, an alien struggling to understand the human mind, but somehow I feel the writers will create an all-embracing brilliant Doctor with no noticeable flaws.

Alter it for Bond, and that is part of my armoury for when I am debating with someone who is desperately trying to force a female Bond on the world. I employ a number of tactics, one of which thanking them for demanding more lesbian action in the films (either they will be a feminist or one of those SJW's, they won't like that one bit).
    NicNac wrote: »
    Yes, the Doctor has always been teased by his companions for his inability to read emotions or say the wrong thing (noticeable in the Capaldi era). It will be interesting if they scrap that altogether now to continue the appeasement of the liberal leftie lesbians who have demanded their female Doctor. He/she must continue to be a boffin, an alien struggling to understand the human mind, but somehow I feel the writers will create an all-embracing brilliant Doctor with no noticeable flaws.

You are assuming the liberal leftie lesbians (or to put it another way, Tumblr Feminists) are thinking that far ahead. They just wanted a female Doctor. "What was that, what kind of Doctor do we want the female Doctor to be? Female, of course."

What a stunning take on Hartnells DR!!!! Hats off to you sir!

Oh man! With the way things are going ? It would not surprise me! Lol!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm not super up with my Who knowledge, so how did the show explain the Doctor's ability to regenerate more than 12 times? Or will that be something they attempt to answer in December?