'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

Ayoade would be brilliant, I suggested him before Capaldi was cast, but I can't see it happening. I think he might be too recogniseable as his IT Crowd character. But then they did cast Malcom Tucker last time so it's not like they're against actors associated with a certain role.
    Yup this last series has been mostly good up until Oxygen but then it was back to dull, formulaic plots until the last two episodes. I also agree with your assesment that by the time this series came around the damage might have been done and people associated this Doctor with the same messy/confusing plotting of series 8 and 9.

What I like most about Doctor Who is the sense of adventure: the 'anytime, anywhere' aspect of it. Open those TARDIS doors and you be anywhere in creation.

It seems to me that the exploration side of things has been lost in favour of clever-clever plotting and soap operatics. Maybe I'm just thick (NB: this is a very likely scenario) but I get the most out of a story when it has a beginning, middle and end - NOT when it has an end, a bit of beginning, middle, beginning, middle, end and then the beginning.

Of course, some of the dull episodes didn't feature time travel at their heart, but then they're often let down by some hammy acting or just some 'been there, done that' stories, (which must be difficult to avoid for a 50+ years old show).

My favourite of this series was Thin Ice: it had a great sense of place, Bill was being a great audience surrogate, and the simple story was told well, with some great performances from the heroes and horrible villain.

Thin Ice was another good one. I agree keeping it fresh is always a challenge but unlike series 9, I didn't feel series 10 was formulaic at all. I think it was because Bill and Nardole were new so there was a fresh dynamic there, plus the looser story arc, the trilogy in the middle where earth was actually invaded, stuff like The Doctor being blinded, Missy's redemption, etc. I think there were two episodes towards the end, the one with the Romans and the Ice Warrior one, that felt bland and stopped it being the best series, but then they quickly picked up steam again for the finale.

And to be honest it's the stuff that people criticise for being too soap opera that I want more of. Part of what made the first series so great for me was how grounded it felt. I'd like a return to that. And I'd prefer for most of the stories to be set on earth, I think they feel more tangible there and also the less they do spaceships and other planets the more money they'll have to actually make them look decent.
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    You reminded me: I have been rewatching 9th Doctor's run and I really enjoy the family stuff with Rose etc. I guess what I mean by 'soap operatics' is the overwrought melodrama that seemed to follow Amy & Rory's last few episodes and Clara too?

In an ideal world they would have enough budget to make all the futuristic episodes look decent!
    Looks like a female Doctor (!) will be announced today. And in a few years we'll get a female James Bond.

And then we can officially say the world has lost the plot and we should start again on a new planet!
    Meanwhile :

who-story.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&q=50&w=864&h=575&fit=crop
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    @thelivingroyale, time to call it, just as you did in 2013. ;)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Is Capaldi doing the " Time Warp" in that pic.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Don't care if it is a woman Doctor (it's going to happen sometime), but wether man or woman I just hope that it is someone who's not been 'in the running', someone totally unexpected. Will miss Capaldi though. Not long to wait now…
    NicNac wrote: »
    @thelivingroyale, time to call it, just as you did in 2013. ;)

This is too much pressure xD Jodie Whittaker is my guess. A woman which would attract loads of publicity, talented actress who's worked with Chris Chibnall before, and has become the favourite just a couple of days before. Seems most likely to me out of the names mentioned but I don't feel quite as confident as I did with Capaldi.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    David Tennant is at Wimbledon!!!
    It's a shame they didn't reveal the new Doctor during the season finale 2 weeks ago.

Capaldi regenerating in the snow. We catch a glimpse of the new doctors face and then Capaldi shuts down the regeneration process and meets the first doctor.
    It would have been such a wonderful surprise!
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Good god @royale, get on the lottery!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Biggest change the show has ever had. What this does for the whole companion dynamic God knows.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    www.theverge.com/2017/7/16/15973556/jodie-whittaker-bbc-doctor-who-thirteenth-series-eleven-20
    Good god @royale, get on the lottery!

I do seem to be making a habit of this now :P
    Samuel001 wrote: »
    Biggest change the show has ever had. What this does for the whole companion dynamic God knows.

I'm hoping for a male companion because that'll actually prove refreshing and give us a different dynamic. If they go for another girl then it won't make a difference apart from a couple of gags post regeneration. But if they get a guy to fill the sidekick role, sort of flipping the dynamic, that'll be genuinely interesting imo. Mostly because since 2005 we've only ever been introduced to the Doctor's world from the perspective of a young woman, we've had male companions but only as tag alongs and secondary characters, we've never really seen that role from a male perspective.

So while I'm happy with this because she's a good actress and think it's a really great step forward in terms of diversity for the character, it's the companion casting that'll tell us how refreshing this will be for the show itself imo.
    Well I'm going down to the bookies and putting a fiver on the next Bond being a woman! If it's good enough for Doctor Who, it's good enough for James Bond... er I mean Jane Bond.

Meh.
    The feamle Bond already exists. Her problem is that she had never had a decent movie. I'm talking, of course, about the wonderful Modesty Blaise.
    She is kind of sexy,and I have had a crush on her for while,but I'm not sure about this.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I want to run this off topic just for a moment - she's in 'Broadchurch,' is that show worth watching? Been eyeballing it on Netflix for years now, it feels like, without pulling the trigger. But she seems to be a main character in it and you lot seem to agree that she's pretty talented.
    Its brilliant..but watch it in order and it can be heavy going....well worth a watch.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 5,809
    Somebody posted his reaction on Twitter. Given who he is, I think his opinion counts for something :

https://twitter.com/SawbonesHex/status/886613052447129601

Nothing more to add, really. I wish her luck, and will watch the new episodes.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Given how the pressure had been mounting, it was only a matter of time before one show runner or another caved in. Best start practising that "if you don't have anything nice to say..." lest you want to be called sexist.
    That line of Colin Baker's - I think it was his first line of dialogue on the show. Amusing to use it over the picture of Jodie Whittaker.
    The only thing in our favour is that she is a great and very selective actress..she wouldn't be doing this if she thinks she couldn't handle it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It just occured to me that the reveals of each Doctor are getting smaller. Smith had a one-off episode of Doctor Who: Confidential, Capadi got a 5 minute interview, Whittaker didn't even get an interview.

@fanbond123 - I don't think a female Bond is going to happen. A black Bond however...
    Female Bond = no.

Black Bond = yes.

We have to accept it i'm afraid.
    Well good luck stopping it..
    We don't have to accept it, but it is going to happen.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's why at the end of the day people should vote with their wallets when it comes to films. If 'Bond 25' dropped with a female star and it made much, much, much less than most of the films that came before, that would be a pretty clear indicator that it's not what we want.
    We don't have to accept it, but it is going to happen.

Exactly Major.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's why at the end of the day people should vote with their wallets when it comes to films. If 'Bond 25' dropped with a female star and it made much, much, much less than most of the films that came before, that would be a pretty clear indicator that it's not what we want.

I bet it would still earn more than the Dalton films.

e8a5w9s.gif