'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    NicNac wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Is this really the wisest time to do this? They already have to introduce a controversial new Doctor, you'd think they wouldn't want to make any further changes? What next, changing the Police Box into a run down BT Phone box with shattered glass and covered in graffiti?

We'll see when the new Doctor visits us on the Telly, until then you will loads of horsedunk being presented as facts.

Not unlike the "facts"about the next 007 movie.

Talking of (potential) horsedunk, there is something I have been meaning to bring up in this thread. What does everyone think of this:

This goes into it with a little more detail:

http://www.endofthelane.co.uk/burton.html

It's all very odd how the only "evidence" is the word of one actor.

Wow, never ever heard of that before. Fascinating, but I would suspect he's a little bit of a fantasist.

I would give him the benefit of the doubt, if anything in his story added up. But going by that article, everything he says about this attempted revival, collapses under the slightest scrutiny.

Didn't Big Finish do an adaption of Shada, with the 8th Doctor? Not being a fan of the 4th Doctor, I can't say that this excites me. I would have rather seen one of the incomplete 1st or 2nd Doctor stores completed with animation. Not sure about the 1st Doctor, but from the 2nd, I would like to see any of them, but mainly Fury From The Deep and The Wheel In Space.
    Didn't Big Finish do an adaption of Shada, with the 8th Doctor?

They did, and it's excellent.

There's no reason for this new version to exist beyond $$$.
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    Didn't Big Finish do an adaption of Shada, with the 8th Doctor?

They did, and it's excellent.

There's no reason for this new version to exist beyond $$$.

As have more than one release of the classic Doctor Who has been. What about all those releases of the 007 franchise and we all bought them.
    Fans are bound to be exploited, expect that.
    Speaking of DVD :

doctorwhonews.net/2017/10/doctor-who-series-10-complete-dvd.html

image.php?pid=25400&h=300

image.php?pid=25399&h=300

image.php?pid=25397&w=400

Nice covers, right ? All of this will be out on november 13th 2017.
    nice
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I do like the New Who Steelbooks.
    Great covers
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Watching season 8 Into the Dalek It's not a season I rate highly though on rewatch this episode is decent, Capalidi channels Colin Baker well IMO The Doctor really is a git in this though I find it entertaining. The less I say about Clara and Danny scenes the better, that subplot dragged the season down.

I guess Moffat will put as much into his final episode as possible

RTD did so why not I guess.
    Strog wrote: »

RTD did so why not I guess.

True I hope the episode is an hour at least in run time.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    10 episodes now has the same running time as 20 of the classic Who shows.
    Not sure I am happy about the episode reduction, I can't help feeling the BBC are slowly winding the show down again. The ratings have dropped, the BBC messed around with the shows scheduling, now they are shortening the shows episodes?
    Have to say? I am not exactly excited about the line up?
    Bradley Walsh will be good in the chase scenes.
    Doctor-Who-new-companions-pic-a2182e3.jpg?quality=90&resize=620,413

That's a dynamic we've seen before, during the first Troughton season : two males (Jamie and Ben), one female (Polly). Now, do these three know each other before entering the Tardis (like a teacher and his two students) or not ? Do they come from the same place in space and time or not ? I guess we'll have to wait and see.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Not sure I am happy about the episode reduction, I can't help feeling the BBC are slowly winding the show down again. The ratings have dropped, the BBC messed around with the shows scheduling, now they are shortening the shows episodes?

You'd think given the reaction to the casting of Jodie Whittaker (I still have very serious doubts about how this will be handled, especially the attitude running through the last series), they would want to not rock the boat any further. It wouldn't be the first time that the BBC has fallen out of love with the show, and want to kill it off. Much has been speculated about a decline that the show has been in. You might have a point.
  • I don't think they're rocking the boat to kill the show. I think it's the opposite, they want things changed up as much as possible to get new viewers and viewers who might have stopped watching.

Am I the only one who thinks it seems like too many main characters? They already have the new doctor to establish without introducing/developing three others. At least they're really trying to shake things up though.

I'm guessing Bradley Walsh will be more of a John Barrowman/Matt Lucas type, comic relief side character sort of thing, won't get as much to do.
    I don't think they're rocking the boat to kill the show. I think it's the opposite, they want things changed up as much as possible to get new viewers and viewers who might have stopped watching.

Am I the only one who thinks it seems like too many main characters? They already have the new doctor to establish without introducing/developing three others. At least they're really trying to shake things up though.

I'm guessing Bradley Walsh will be more of a John Barrowman/Matt Lucas type, comic relief side character sort of thing, won't get as much to do.

No,i thought about that too...running before they can walk.

• edited October 2017 Posts: 684
    I loved the Doctor/companion dynamic of the RTD era. He used the companion as a proxy for the viewer. Rose, Martha, Donna, et. al were kind of windows into the story and to the Doctor and his world. Back then the show was ostensibly about the companion and not the Doctor. I feel like after Moffat took control the show became more about The Doctor, which didn't work as well for me.

I had been hoping to see Chibnall go back to the RTD approach, but this news would seem to indicate he has other ideas. Which is fine. I appreciate he's attempting to freshen the show up.
  • Strog wrote: »
    I loved the Doctor/companion dynamic of the RTD era. He used the companion as a proxy for the viewer. Rose, Martha, Donna, et. al were kind of windows into the story and to the Doctor and his world. Back then the show was ostensibly about the companion and not the Doctor. I feel like after Moffat took control the show became more about The Doctor, which didn't work as well for me.

I had been hoping to see Chibnall go back to the RTD approach, but this news would seem to indicate he has other ideas. Which is fine. I appreciate he's attempting to freshen the show up.

I liked that too and that's part of why I think series 10 was really good. They did the whole audience proxy thing and the vault meant that there was mystery behind the doctor again, like the time war in the first series.
    doctor-who-Bradley-Walsh-Sarah-Jane-Adventures-1042075.jpg

Bradley Walsh has been in the Whoniverse previously
    Speaking of which : I've read here and there that the fact that there will now be three Companions instead of just the one is going to make it difficult for the writers to focus on each of them. But let's not forget that Sarah Jane Smith had three companions of her own in her series, and from what I've seen, it seemed to work quite well. So what the spin-off has succeeded in doing for five to six years, couldn't the mothership series do it as well ?
    Gerard wrote: »
    Speaking of which : I've read here and there that the fact that there will now be three Companions instead of just the one is going to make it difficult for the writers to focus on each of them. But let's not forget that Sarah Jane Smith had three companions of her own in her series, and from what I've seen, it seemed to work quite well. So what the spin-off has succeeded in doing for five to six years, couldn't the mothership series do it as well ?

The difference is that everyone knew Sarah Jane so it was easy to focus on the new characters,whereas this series is introducing 3 new companions AND a brand new female Doctor at the same time !!

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    barryt007 wrote: »

The difference is that everyone knew Sarah Jane so it was easy to focus on the new characters,whereas this series is introducing 3 new companions AND a brand new female Doctor at the same time !!

Did that really need to be said?' surely just 'a brand new Doctor' would have been sufficient?!
    barryt007 wrote: »

Did that really need to be said?' surely just 'a brand new Doctor' would have been sufficient?!

Yes it did need to be said,its a whole new angle for the character...have you seen my PC thread ?
    Why does that have The War Doctor theme? Come to think of it, why is the 8th Doctor even having this set?

"I'm not part of the war, I swear to you?"

If we are going to see the Time War from each past Doctors perspective, put me down for the 7th Doctor set. An argument could be made for the Time War already being underway as of the events of The Curse Of Fenric.
    Is that a preview for an actual show or is it fan fiction ?