'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Just a rumour at the moment, but if true, my expectations for next series just took another dive-
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Probably wouldn't be a traditional companion role. It depends what Chibnall is looking to achieve and how he is trying to shape the show.
    Casting an actor isn't about 'Ooh, let's cast Bradley Walsh and think how we can fit him in', it will be 'we need a middle aged actor with a comedic background to fit this role I have created'.

Having said that, as much as I like Bradley Walsh I'm not sold on the idea.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    My biggest issue is Chibnall his previous Who episodes are all poor, still baffled why he got the job as showrunner.
    They will have to get off to a flying start,thats for sure.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I have accepted the female Doctor I have seen some of the actresses work, she really is very good and likeable so that's a plus point.
    I have accepted the female Doctor I have seen some of the actresses work, she really is very good and likeable so that's a plus point.
    Agreed,when I knew it was her I had no problem either,she can pull off the comedy and drama elements easily.
    Its the storylines that still worry me,and I want individual adventures more than another bloody storyarc.

It got way complicated no too long ago,confused the hell out of the viewing public,which they forgot to realise included kids.

barryt007 wrote: »
    Agreed,when I knew it was her I had no problem either,she can pull off the comedy and drama elements easily.
    Its the storylines that still worry me,and I want individual adventures more than another bloody storyarc.

It got way complicated no too long ago,confused the hell out of the viewing public,which they forgot to realise included kids.

Agree I did enjoy some of Moffats tenure though he never knew how to conclude stories and it got messy and convoluted at times, I have heard some previous guest writers won't return either so good or bad it really is a fresh start/reboot. A fresh approach will carry the show for a while
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    My biggest issue is Chibnall his previous Who episodes are all poor, still baffled why he got the job as showrunner.

This.

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and The Power of Three are some of the most atrocious episodes of the revived era.
    Gatiss would have been more preferable, and that's saying something.

This.

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and The Power of Three are some of the most atrocious episodes of the revived era.

The way Chibnall structured his previous Who stories were not good and had little depth, and he ends them abruptly.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 13,894
    I don't have an opinion on Bradley Walsh. But the very same SJW attitude that has seeped into comics, and now the last series, is very off-putting. I doubt that I will be watching each episode as it airs.
    What's SJW Major?
    Just a rumour at the moment, but if true, my expectations for next series just took another dive-

Lol! Say no more!
  • RC7RC7
    Bradley Walsh is great.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Bradley Walsh is great.

I always remember a game show or something he was hosting,when he fell arse over tit all the way down the stairs in front of the audience...so funny (well not to him ) he he .

• Very weird choice if it's true but I find it sort of intriguing. He's not a big enough name for them to have made up a part just for him so he must suit what they're going for and I'm getting more and more curious to find out what that is. Definitely shaping up to be a very different show.

This.

The way Chibnall structured his previous Who stories were not good and had little depth, and he ends them abruptly.

After googling it I agree, I don't think I remember liking any of his episodes. Also found out he was also showrunner the first two series of Torchwood which were pretty terrible. This has me worried. It seems like the BBC just begged him to take the gig because of Broadchurch but looking at his track record, it seems that was more of a fluke than anything else. Or at least that whatever talent he has doesn't translate to Doctor Who very well at all.
    Bradley Walsh is great.

I always remember a game show or something he was hosting,when he fell arse over tit all the way down the stairs in front of the audience...so funny (well not to him ) he he .

Like Bradley Walsh a lot, however on the alleged route Dr Who is taking now? Even I am having serious concerns now.
    Well, when you look at Moffatt his pre-show runner episodes were generally season stealers. He was the obvious choice to take over. Then he stayed on too long, or got too over ambitious.
    So maybe Chibnall will work in reverse and find his feet as lead writer.

Or that may be wishful thinking.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Bradley Walsh is great.

Like Bradley Walsh a lot, however on the alleged route Dr Who is taking now? Even I am having serious concerns now.

I can see where they are going with the idea that it will be a male companion to a female Doctor,and also an older figure,so I can see lots of 'fatherly banter'.

But same here,i love Bradders,but it seems a strange bit of casting.

Bradley Walsh is great.

I can see where they are going with the idea that it will be a male companion to a female Doctor,and also an older figure,so I can see lots of 'fatherly banter'.

Imagine if their are some funny alien names? Bradders will have no chance at keeping a straight face! Some of the questions on the chase have had him and me in stitches!
    Bradley Walsh is great.

Imagine if their are some funny alien names? Bradders will have no chance at keeping a straight face! Some of the questions on the chase have had him and me in stitches!

Oh I piss myself laughing when he starts off and cant stop,its so infectious.
    Just one thing sets him off .

He will be brilliant for the Dr Who cast to work with.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think he was laughing at a German skier called ...... Fanny Shmeller ;-)

Hahaha I remember that one...i'm sure the Chase team put those questions in to set Bradders off haha.

I'm laughing thinking about it right now.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    NicNac wrote: »
    What's SJW Major?

Social Justice Warrior. Seeing the Doctor punch someone for displaying a racist attitude, when racism wasn't even a thing, that rubbed me up the wrong way. The Doctor could have educated the guy with a speech, he likes making speeches. But educating the racist chap with a speech doesn't earn the show as many virtue points as physically assaulting him does. If that attitude is gone completely, and I don't think it will be, I might give the next series a chance. If not, well at least I still have my DVDs and Audio Dramas.

Hahaha I remember that one...i'm sure the Chase team put those questions in to set Bradders off haha.

I'm laughing thinking about it right now.

That's the one! It is very funny!
  • NicNac wrote: »
    What's SJW Major?

Social Justice Warrior. Seeing the Doctor punch someone for displaying a racist attitude, when racism wasn't even a thing, that rubbed me up the wrong way. The Doctor could have educated the guy with a speech, he likes making speeches. But educating the racist chap with a speech doesn't earn the show as many virtue points as physically assaulting him does. If that attitude is gone completely, and I don't think it will be, I might give the next series a chance. If not, well at least I still have my DVDs and Audio Dramas.

I loved that bit. That's one of Capaldi's best moments as the doctor imo. Gives her that big talk about being diplomatic and letting him do the talking then decks the guy straight away because he cares too much about his friend to just sit back and let her take it. Racist attitudes being common because of the time period are still racist attitudes and besides he's a time lord. Historical context doesn't matter to him and to his species race, gender, etc are meaningless. So racism must seem even more barbaric to him than it does to us. I found it refreshing that they actually addressed it at all and I think the way they did is much more realistic than him doing a speech. Victorian or not this guy was making his friend feel subhuman because of her skin colour. Punching him is a very realistic and for us watching (well for me at least) funny/satisfying reaction.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,411
    Very weird choice if it's true but I find it sort of intriguing. He's not a big enough name for them to have made up a part just for him so he must suit what they're going for and I'm getting more and more curious to find out what that is. Definitely shaping up to be a very different show.

This.

After googling it I agree, I don't think I remember liking any of his episodes. Also found out he was also showrunner the first two series of Torchwood which were pretty terrible. This has me worried. It seems like the BBC just begged him to take the gig because of Broadchurch but looking at his track record, it seems that was more of a fluke than anything else. Or at least that whatever talent he has doesn't translate to Doctor Who very well at all.

Never took to Torchwood I gave up on that show early on, Doctor Who will have better budget I guess... I can only assume Chibnall pitched a very good idea to BBC, or maybe the BBC have gone cold on Doctor Who again.
  • Very weird choice if it's true but I find it sort of intriguing. He's not a big enough name for them to have made up a part just for him so he must suit what they're going for and I'm getting more and more curious to find out what that is. Definitely shaping up to be a very different show.

This.

Never took to Torchwood I gave up on that show early on, Doctor Who will have better budget I guess... I can only assume Chibnall pitched a very good idea to BBC, or maybe the BBC have gone cold on Doctor Who again.

I think they probably just thought that getting the writer of Broadchurch as showrunner would boost ratings to be honest. Moffat was given the job based off his Doctor Who work but that was when the ratings were really high and everyone knew who he was because he wrote all the best episodes. The guy who wrote Blink taking over was big news because people knew about Blink. It was in the public consciousness. But there aren't as many people are watching Doctor Who now they might have thought going down that route wouldn't have worked as well, because the public don't know who writes the best episodes now because they aren't as invested in it. But people loved Broadchurch.

"Writer of xxx episodes of Doctor Who will take over after Steven Moffat" doesn't work if people haven't seen those episodes, which not as many have any more. But a headline saying the writer of Broadchurch is taking over might get people who stopped watching on board. That's my thinking anyway, dunno if I'm reading too much into it.
    Very weird choice if it's true but I find it sort of intriguing. He's not a big enough name for them to have made up a part just for him so he must suit what they're going for and I'm getting more and more curious to find out what that is. Definitely shaping up to be a very different show.

This.

I think they probably just thought that getting the writer of Broadchurch as showrunner would boost ratings to be honest. Moffat was given the job based off his Doctor Who work but that was when the ratings were really high and everyone knew who he was because he wrote all the best episodes. The guy who wrote Blink taking over was big news because people knew about Blink. It was in the public consciousness. But there aren't as many people are watching Doctor Who now they might have thought going down that route wouldn't have worked as well, because the public don't know who writes the best episodes now because they aren't as invested in it. But people loved Broadchurch.

"Writer of xxx episodes of Doctor Who will take over after Steven Moffat" doesn't work if people haven't seen those episodes, which not as many have any more. But a headline saying the writer of Broadchurch is taking over might get people who stopped watching on board. That's my thinking anyway, dunno if I'm reading too much into it.

Moffats work was excellent in the T Davies era, and I also liked Coupling it was a funny show initially. Must admit I have never watched Broadchurch the Boxsets are on Sky I may watch a few episodes see if Chibnall has improved as a writer. True the Broadchurch link may bring more casual fans back
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 12,837

This.

Moffats work was excellent in the T Davies era, and I also liked Coupling it was a funny show initially. Must admit I have never watched Broadchurch the Boxsets are on Sky I may watch a few episodes see if Chibnall has improved as a writer. True the Broadchurch link may bring more casual fans back

My wife watched it and tells me it was really good, but to be honest I never really gave it a chance. All I saw was another bleak murder mystery set in the English countryside and zoned out straight away. I might have to do the same as you and get it up on Sky to see what all the fuss is about and give me more confidence about series 11.

This.

My wife watched it and tells me it was really good, but to be honest I never really gave it a chance. All I saw was another bleak murder mystery set in the English countryside and zoned out straight away. I might have to do the same as you and get it up on Sky to see what all the fuss is about and give me more confidence about series 11.

I'll probably watch a couple I thought the trailers looked dreary to be honest, one plus is Chibnall may get Tennant involved for multiple Doctor stories.