'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 13,894
    @bondsum Yes, it was Reese Shaersmith that played Troughton in 'An Adventure...', and he did look like him. Shearsmith resembled Troughton more than Richard Hurndall resembled Hartnell, but not as much as Bradley resembled Hartnell. Casting Bradley was a genius idea (he is near perfect, he just lacks those weird eye movements that Hartnell did), and should be fully taken advantage of.

@thelivingroyale It was enough for the writer to get worked up over, that they felt the need to keep doing.... that.
  • Gerard wrote: »
    But to end the episode on such a cliffhanger, knowing that, according to what I have read, the new series won't start until fall/autumn, that's not going to satisfy the more impatient fans.

I think this should have been the final episode of series 10 (I don't get why they don't do 13 episodes anymore anyway). That way Jodie Whittaker's first episode could have been the Christmas special and there wouldn't be such a long wait to see her doctor.
    But to end the episode on such a cliffhanger, knowing that, according to what I have read, the new series won't start until fall/autumn, that's not going to satisfy the more impatient fans.

I think this should have been the final episode of series 10 (I don't get why they don't do 13 episodes anymore anyway). That way Jodie Whittaker's first episode could have been the Christmas special and there wouldn't be such a long wait to see her doctor.

Chris Chibnall didn't want to do the Christmas special. That's not how he wanted his era to begin. Hence, Moffat's final act.

Chris Chibnall didn't want to do the Christmas special. That's not how he wanted his era to begin. Hence, Moffat's final act.

That makes sense I suppose but I think it would have worked better if he did. Seems a bit silly that since David Tennant he always happens to regenerate in Christmas themed adventures.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I noted that too as I was watching this special, @thelivingroyale. That's what, three doctors in a row now that've already regenerated on Christmas themed episodes? Seems a bit done to death by now.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I think that is just the way it is going to be. When the show was brought back in 2005, the structure of the show changed, and the christmas special has been a fixture since. I don't see it changing anytime soon, not unless the ratings continue to dwindle, and a drastic shake up of the structure happens.

I have been watching the Davison era stories lately, and I think that I am starting to warm to him. It took a while for me to warm up to Hartnell, and now he is one of my favourite Doctors. I think Davison is going to same way. He can often come across a bit too earnest (I think he might have been better off playing a prequel to Hartnell's 1st Doctor). I would also like to take this opportunity to reveal that I am falling in love with Sarah Sutton as Nyssa.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I have been watching the Davison era stories lately, and I think that I am starting to warm to him.

Me, too. I used to think he was too young, but then Matt Smith happened...
    For me Davison was initially Young Farnham from "all creatures great and small" I loved his Doctor nonetheless and love how his daughter played the Doctor's Daughter in the Tennant Who series. They are also married and have a few kids. So it is who galore.

Have you ever watched that spoof the remaining Doctors made when they released the Smith/Tennant/Hurt/ T. baker Christmas special. That one was actually hilarious.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Have you ever watched that spoof the remaining Doctors made when they released the Smith/Tennant/Hurt/ T. baker Christmas special. That one was actually hilarious.

The Five(ish) Doctors Revisited? Yes, that was very good. Bravo to Davison for pulling that together.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    My late father always referred to Davison's Doctor as 'Dr Vet'.

The Fiveish Doctors? Yes, loved that. I also saw them on stage together at the 50th Anniversary celebrations, clearly having a whale of a time.
    For me that is also what Doctor Who is about. Great fun.
    I loved the difference in interior of both Tardis from the different Doctors. Well done.
  • Peter Davison has gone up in my estimation on a re-watch recently, as well. He has a genuine vulnerability that probably hadn't been there since Troughton. You really think he is in danger. I initially thought him too bland coming straight after Tom Baker, but I now appreciate the different tone and his interpretation. He certainly got out at the right time, though.

As for Nyssa, doesn't she spend the majority of her final story inexplicably removing items of clothing? As a 1980s viewer would have said with a knowing nod: "One for the Dad's, there."

She is certainly my favourite companion of Davison, and she has been well served in the Big Finish audios. Nyssa is head-and-shoulders above Tegan, Turlough (although he is improving, too), and *shudder* Adric. I consider Peri to be primarily a Colin Baker companion.

• edited December 2017 Posts: 7,653
    Peri is the one for the dads.

then again there always was that.

And this for sheer fun.

How could they miss out the quintessential 60's dolly bird of companions, Polly?

9a72337176aa2da7ab71d0fa072648cc.jpg
    She was in the new episode after all. ;)
    I have been a massive fan of Capaldi's Dr, but I have to say I was very disappointed with the final episode of his tenure. A massive wasted opportunity IMHO as the humour between the two Dr's themselves I did think was excellent. Just the rest of it for me anyway was just dross.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    How could they miss out the quintessential 60's dolly bird of companions, Polly?

Have just listened to the latest Early Adventures from Big Finish - and three of the four stories feature Anneka Wills as both Polly and narrator. And a splendid job she does too. When in character as Polly she still sounds exactly the same (not something you could say of the late great Deborah Watling aka Victoria) as she did in the tv series.
    These are great Doctor Who stories and if you've never given Big Finish's audio adventures a try, you really should. Plus you have Frazer Hines as both Jamie and Patrick Troughton's Second Doctor. Brilliant!

Have just listened to the latest Early Adventures from Big Finish - and three of the four stories feature Anneka Wills as both Polly and narrator. And a splendid job she does too. When in character as Polly she still sounds exactly the same (not something you could say of the late great Deborah Watling aka Victoria) as she did in the tv series.
    These are great Doctor Who stories and if you've never given Big Finish's audio adventures a try, you really should. Plus you have Frazer Hines as both Jamie and Patrick Troughton's Second Doctor. Brilliant!

I'd love to branch out further into Big Finish territory, alas I couldn't afford to buy everything Who related they put out. Because of this, I stick to just the McCoy releases. I'm intrigued with the War Master set, though. Jacobi's Master during the Time War.
  • Have never tried the Troughton, Hartnell or Pertwee era Big Finish stuff (despite my love for those three) as I prefer the full cast audios. Might try them on the back of that praise, though.

I think Colin Baker is my favourite Big Finish doctor. Quite the what-might-have-been. He is superb.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

I'd love to branch out further into Big Finish territory, alas I couldn't afford to buy everything Who related they put out. Because of this, I stick to just the McCoy releases. I'm intrigued with the War Master set, though. Jacobi's Master during the Time War.

My favourite BF audios are: Jago & Lightfoot, very good; The Early Adventures and of course The Companion Chronicles, I will occasionally get some of the main monthly releases if the story/Doctor/Companion appeals.
    Also it's well worth visiting their website (put it in your favourites) as they do have sales and special offers quite often. Plus if you buy your CD direct you get a free digital download. What's not to like?!
  • This just popped up in my Youtube suggestions

It's very classy and respectful of him to not name names because they're not there to give their side of it, but any idea who it might be that he fell out with? He didn't come back for the 50th episode which makes me think it might be someone to do with the BBC rather than the show itself (since it was a whole new team making the show by that point).
    He talks about clashing with "people at the top of the pyramid", so it could be anything. Unless someone can get the people at the top c.2005 in front of a camera, I doubt we'll ever know.
  • He talks about clashing with "people at the top of the pyramid", so it could be anything. Unless someone can get the people at the top c.2005 in front of a camera, I doubt we'll ever know.

I've googled it a bit more and you can kind of piece it together. It seems that he had issues with how the first director they had was treating the crew and this must have made him concerned about how the show was being run in general if people like that were being hired

http://badwilf.com/eccleston-explains-why-he-left-doctor-who/

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09/11/christopher-eccleston-expresses-regret-for-his-quick-doctor-who-departure/

I've got a lot of respect for him after reading that, especially when he talks about how he could have stayed for the money and exposure but decided his principles/morals were more important. Him leaving must have changed things too if none of the other actors have had the same issue.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I always thought Eccleston was uncomfortable with the responsibilities the role brought. Meeting the fans, conventions etc.
    Also, I think he can be a difficult man, a true blunt Northerner who speaks his mind. In the end Tennent was a better fit away from the cameras.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 12,837
    NicNac wrote: »
    In the end Tennent was a better fit away from the cameras.

That's true. Eccleston reminds me of Craig and Dalton in that way. Actors who are in it solely for the work and aren't that comfortable with the limelight. Not saying Tennant isn't a brilliant actor as well but he had the showman side to him too, I think the media side of it came more naturally to him. Can't imagine Eccleston hosting panel shows and doing charity skits and stuff.