'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

We're going to get the bonuses (boni ?) we didn't get for "The Enemy of the World", thanks to a Special Edition of the story. Among said boni (bonuses), we well have a documentary about the late and very missed Deborah Watling, as well as documentaries about how it was filmed, and how it was recovered. I'll probably buy it, but what can I say ? I'm a completist :

image.php?pid=25807&w=400

doctorwhonews.net/2018/02/the-enemy-of-world-special-edition.html

And about DVDs, this time of the unofficial variety, Reeltime Productions (producers, among others, of Downtime and Daemos Rising) is preparing a new direct to video episode called Anomaly, and featuring the son of Kate Lethbridge(Stewart (and thus grandson of the Brigadier, Gordon. As a research scientis, Gordy has made quite a few discoveries, but they're all due to the alien artifacts a friend of her mother, a former UNIT captain, has given him. And one of those artifacts will prove more than he can handle. Beverley Cressman will reprise the part of Kate, which she created, and Miles Richardson will also be along for the ride. More importantly, Sophie Aldred will be there too. The release date is november 19th 2018 :

anomaly.jpg.jpeg

https://galaxy4.co.uk/product.thtml?id=4969&vts=gvBnFwI

And finally, series 11 will probably air on sundays. At least, that's what the Mirror Says. But I'm skeptical. After all, it's the Mirror.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Enemy Of The World: SE?

I wonder if Web Of Fear will also get the SE treatment.
    It would be nice.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    doctor-who-2018-landscape-home.jpg

I had a feeling after watching Twice Upon A Time that the new Doctor maybe without her Tardis in the new season initially, this image is interesting.
    I am really looking forward to the next Who season.
    I'll certainly be open minded about the casting, though I need to be won over by the new showrunner.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'll certainly give it a chance.
    I'll certainly be open minded about the casting, though I need to be won over by the new showrunner.

I have had that with each actor that played the part. They all have their moments and moments you really can't be bothered watching it ever again. So nothing new with the series. I am looking forward to what proves to be the first significant change in quite a while in the series.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 5,808
    Meanwhile, you can already wear the T-shirt that goes with the logo :

243243b_LeXNb7D.jpg.size-600_maxheight-600_square-true.jpg
    SaintMark wrote: »

I have had that with each actor that played the part. They all have their moments and moments you really can't be bothered watching it ever again. So nothing new with the series. I am looking forward to what proves to be the first significant change in quite a while in the series.

Change is good and Capaldi I felt was wasted at times by stale writing, a new writing team is positive as it appears there are wholesale changes across the board with the new show. Though for me Chibnall has to improve on his previous Doctor Who work.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 12,837

That's how I feel as well. I liked the first couple of series of Torchwood but I

Change is good and Capaldi I felt was wasted at times by stale writing, a new writing team is positive as it appears there are wholesale changes across the board with the new show. Though for me Chibnall has to improve on his previous Doctor Who work.

I think it just took them a while to find their groove with Capaldi. In series 8 it felt like they were so focused on making him not Matt Smith that he came across as really unlikeable imo. Still don't understand the whole anti-soldier thing even now. But by the end I think he got the writing he deserved. Best since Eccleston for me.

That's how I feel as well. I liked the first couple of series of Torchwood but I

I think it just took them a while to find their groove with Capaldi. In series 8 it felt like they were so focused on making him not Matt Smith that he came across as really unlikeable imo. Still don't understand the whole anti-soldier thing even now. But by the end I think he got the writing he deserved. Best since Eccleston for me.

Recently rewatched Season 8 I agree the forced friction between the Doctor and Danny did not work the anti soldier thing fell flat, other than Listen season 8 is mediocre. Overall I think 9 was Capaldi best season, though Season10 two part finale are my favourite episodes he did.
  • I'll certainly be open minded about the casting, though I need to be won over by the new showrunner.

Recently rewatched Season 8 I agree the forced friction between the Doctor and Danny did not work the anti soldier thing fell flat, other than Listen season 8 is mediocre. Overall I think 9 was Capaldi best season, though Season10 two part finale are my favourite episodes he did.

I should probably watch series 9 properly. Series 8 sort of killed my enthusiasm and the trailers made it seem like more of the same (as great as Jenna Coleman is, she stayed on too long imo) so I only saw bits of it. Gave series 10 a chance because of it seeming different again, John Simm rumours and the buzz around the regeneration and I really loved it. I think it's probably the best one so far.

I should probably watch series 9 properly. Series 8 sort of killed my enthusiasm and the trailers made it seem like more of the same (as great as Jenna Coleman is, she stayed on too long imo) so I only saw bits of it. Gave series 10 a chance because of it seeming different again, John Simm rumours and the buzz around the regeneration and I really loved it. I think it's probably the best one so far.

I thought season 10 started and finished strongly though there are five or six episodes in the middle I think brought the season down, the Monk trilogy was disappointing and Missy's arc was not really answered. Great ending though I see that as the chronological last episode of the Master, based on that there could be countless Master regenerations between Simm Master and Missy, it's fitting that the Master was killed by him/herself.

Season 9 had some good 2 parters it's worth a look, early into rewatching that season currently.

I thought season 10 started and finished strongly though there are five or six episodes in the middle I think brought the season down, the Monk trilogy was disappointing and Missy's arc was not really answered. Great ending though I see that as the chronological last episode of the Master, based on that there could be countless Master regenerations between Simm Master and Missy, it's fitting that the Master was killed by him/herself.

Season 9 had some good 2 parters it's worth a look, early into rewatching that season currently.

That's exactly how I saw it as well, Missy could be a really far future Master so there could be countless others after Simm. Moffat found a way to give the character a really good actual ending while still leaving room for them to bring him back.

To be fair when they eventually do bring the character back I think it won't matter because they won't reference it, I think it'll be a new actor and kept vague same as when Missy was first in it, but in my head they'll be between Simm and Gomez. That ending was perfect.

That's exactly how I saw it as well, Missy could be a really far future Master so there could be countless others after Simm. Moffat found a way to give the character a really good actual ending while still leaving room for them to bring him back.

To be fair when they eventually do bring the character back I think it won't matter because they won't reference it, I think it'll be a new actor and kept vague same as when Missy was first in it, but in my head they'll be between Simm and Gomez. That ending was perfect.

It was a perfect ending for the Master and ultimately the Master sided with the Doctor which worked, Moffat certainly left his stamp on the show and Cannon with key events in his tenure.

Agree the Master may not turn up for a few years and there need not be any explanation, though I am curious as to what role Bradley Walsh will be playing.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Not sure if anyone would be interested but the complete Sarah Jane Adventures are currently available to watch on BBC iPlayer.
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    I'm starting to think I love the concept of Doctor Who more than the formula.

Meaning: I love the idea of exploring all of time and space but I often find what happens when they arrive a little formulaic: an abandoned location, a mystery, a little running and then a big speech at a monster. Now, I realise I'm exaggerating but I often feel that while the production design is fantastic the stories are just 'good enough' and often (esp. in the Moffat era) impressed with their own cleverness.

Very excited about the new series as I think new blood was needed!
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I'm interested! I loved SJA and didn't manage to catch them all on the original run. Cheers, @Shark_0f_Largo!
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Great stuff. Didn’t see it all myself, and may daughter is s big fan. Happy days.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I immediately texted the good news to my friend, who is a big Who fan with a 7-year-old daughter :)
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 5,808
    I'm starting to think I love the concept of Doctor Who more than the formula.

Meaning: I love the idea of exploring all of time and space but I often find what happens when they arrive a little formulaic: an abandoned location, a mystery, a little running and then a big speech at a monster. Now, I realise I'm exaggerating but I often feel that while the production design is fantastic the stories are just 'good enough' and often (esp. in the Moffat era) impressed with their own cleverness.

Very excited about the new series as I think new blood was needed!

As cool as the concept is, I think it's better when they're on earth to be honest. Looks less cheap and I think it just grounds the show a bit. Like in the first series when he drops Rose back but lands a year late, so there's been a missing person case, her boyfriend's been arrested. I thought that was a really clever idea, I think when they do stuff like that it sort of grounds the sci fi stuff and makes it more believeable.
    11697911-1004557949321089.jpg

Can anyone see what's wrong with this Season 3 Steelbook cover?
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 684
    Master hoody from End of Time?
    Strog wrote: »

Spot on ;)
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 684

Spot on ;)
    I'd most likely not have spotted that if you hadn't pointed it out. So I guess I can't blame whoever okayed it!

Spot on ;)
    I'd most likely not have spotted that if you hadn't pointed it out. So I guess I can't blame whoever okayed it!

https://www.geek.com/television/doctor-who-news-delays-season-peter-miles-1732445/

It appears they will address the blunder, though I would like the botched steelbook as it will be rare.