'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    http://www.radiofreeskaro.com/2018/02/17/radio-free-skaro-622-radio-free-skaro-and-the-seven-keys-to-doomsday/

For the seventh year in a row, it was Radio Free Skaro’s great pleasure to kick off the greatest Doctor Who convention on Earth, Gallifrey One! With guests Sylvester McCoy, Rona Munro, Stephen Wyatt, Philip Martin, Hayley Nebauer, and Lawrence Gough, the convention got off to a roaring start. Come for the guests, stay for the microphone failures! And stay tuned Sunday for a Gallifrey One wrap-up episode

A good listen Philip Martin's comments are amusing though unsurprising regarding John Nathan Turner.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

You and me I'd say.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 5,809
    Alan Cumming (Boris "I AM INVINCIBLE !" Grishenko in GE) is set to play a part in series 11 : King James the First (if you're English) or the Sixth (if you're Scottish) Stuart :

radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-03-08/alan-cumming-set-to-play-king-james-i-in-doctor-who/

Can't wait !

BTW, do you know what dirty trick France Télévision has played (again, one might say) on the french fans ? They failed to include "The Husbands of River Song" on the french DVD set of series 10. As it wasn't included in the french DVD set for series 9, that makes the second Christmas episode that have failed to appear on DVD in France. No wonder I prefer to buy the british DVD sets.
    Christopher Eccleston Says BBC 'Blacklisted' Him After 'Doctor Who' .

Christopher Eccleston has made a rather bold claim against the BBC, claiming the corporation “blacklisted” him following his departure from ‘Doctor Who’.

In 2005, it was announced that Christopher would be stepping down from the sci-fi show after just one series, at which point David Tennant took over as the Time Lord.

He’s repeatedly hinted that his time on ‘Doctor Who’ wasn’t a particularly enjoyable one, with Christopher now accusing the BBC of trying to sabotage him in an interview with The Guardian.

He told the newspaper: “What happened around ‘Doctor Who’ almost destroyed my career. I gave them a hit show and I left with dignity and then they put me on a blacklist.

“I was abandoned, vilified in the tabloid press and blacklisted.”
    Christopher continued: “I was told by my agent at the time, ‘The BBC regime is against you. You’re going to have to get out of the country and wait for regime change’.

“So I went away to America and I kept on working because that’s what my parents instilled in me.”

HuffPost UK has reached out to the BBC for comment, and is awaiting a response
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    He does seem to be building something of a reputation for himself, as a whinger. If the powers that be in Dr Who were so draconian and difficult why and how did Tennant, Smith and Capaldi seem to get through unscathed and with careers enhanced?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2018 Posts: 28,694
    NicNac wrote: »
    He does seem to be building something of a reputation for himself, as a whinger. If the powers that be in Dr Who were so draconian and difficult why and how did Tennant, Smith and Capaldi seem to get through unscathed and with careers enhanced?
    The other Who actors didn't have public spats with the BBC heads though, did they? They kept in line and did the show.

I don't know what went down with Eccleston and the BBC, and we probably never will, but a corporation blacklisting someone is about as old a trick as anything else in show business. This is the kind of thing Hollywood was built on, along with the casting couch and everything else.
    US and India among the places visited by the Doctor and Companions this eyar if this is to be believed :

doctorwhotv.co.uk/rumour-series-11-features-educational-episodes-in-us-india-87196.htm
    NicNac wrote: »

To be fair I'd be pretty pissed off if I were him too. He leaves because he's a principled man and didn't like the way things were being run. The BBC outright lie and say he didn't want to be typecast then blacklist him for a few years. And then the 50th comes round and he gets spoilt, entitled fans having a go at him for not wanting to take part.

I looked into it a bit ago and basically what people have put together from rumours is that it was a nightmare filming the first series because nobody was used to the scale of it, and there was one director in particular who was a dick to the crew. He thought it was ridiculous that things were being run the way they were and that this was being allowed to carry on so he left.

That director apparently hasn't been back either so I'd imagine the reason Tennant/Smith/Capaldi had no complaints is that Eccleston leaving encouraged them to sort the issues out (plus with Tennant and Smith it was their big break, so I think they'd be less likely to bite the hand that fed them anyway).
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Interesting @thelivingroyale , that’s all new to me.
    Puts a new slant on things,looks like he was hard done to,hence he walked.
    Yeah I've always read the situation as more reflecting of his integrity rather than him throwing a hissy fit. He comes across as quite professional in his interviews.
    Gerard wrote: »
    US and India among the places visited by the Doctor and Companions this eyar if this is to be believed :

doctorwhotv.co.uk/rumour-series-11-features-educational-episodes-in-us-india-87196.htm
    Whatever Chibnall wants to try, I'll give it a go. I'll be tuning in for S11E01. That said, "educational" sounds dubious.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Said director was Euros Lyn.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2018 Posts: 28,694
    I agree RE: Eccleston. Never came off as a difficult guy to me, just a man who didn't like the work ecosystem around him and took his talent elsewhere.
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-03-19/doctor-who-christopher-eccleston-russell-t-davies/

Think we'll eventually get the full story soon, he seems to be talking about it more lately.
    Meanwhile, here are the final two covers of the Target Books revival :

51qLB-3y7TL._SX307_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51DQoIdVA6L._SX308_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And just in case you're asking, no, "City of Death" was not adapted as a Target Book during the period they were published, one of five stories in that case (with "The Pirate Planet", "Shada", "Resurrection of the Daleks" and "Revelation of the Daleks". Here, it's an abridged (by the author) version of the novel by James Goss published in 2015.
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-03-19/doctor-who-christopher-eccleston-russell-t-davies/

Think we'll eventually get the full story soon, he seems to be talking about it more lately.

The behind the scenes issues with DW are often interesting, sometimes more interesting than some of the episodes written ;)
    Well, all I can say is that it's about time :

doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-9-soundtrack-release-date-tracklist-87300.htm

So the long (and not particularly patiently) awaited soundtrack for series 9 has AT LAST a release date : April 27th 2018. Here are the visuals (note the use of the new logo) :

series-9-soundtrack-limited-edition.jpg

And the track list :

DISC 1
    1. The One in a Thousand
    2. Davros Remembers
    3. Message from Missy
    4. Meeting in the Square
    5. Finding The Doctor
    6. What Have You Done
    7. Davros Approaches
    8. Some Kind of Submarine
    9. The Ghosts
    10. The Bootstrap Paradox
    11. Finding The Fisher King
    12. Another Ghost Has Appeared
    13. We Need to Get Back to The TARDIS
    14. Directions from The Ghosts
    15. Something in the Spacesuit
    16. Two Days on a Longboat
    17. I Am Ashildr
    18. In a Way, She’s a Hybrid
    19. I Call Myself Me
    20. They Need Us
    21. The Last Thing We Need

DISC 2
    1. Deep Cover
    2. Just Come Inside
    3. This is Not a War
    4. Defending The Earth
    5. The Morpheus Song
    6. Saving Rigsy
    7. Madam Mayor
    8. Running from the Raven
    9. Death is Locked In
    10. Face the Raven
    11. Back Home
    12. The General’s Regeneration
    13. A Duty of Care
    14. Clara’s Diner

DISC 3
    1. A Second Shadow
    2. The Veil
    3. A Fly on a Painting
    4. A Change of Clothes
    5. A Mechanical Maze
    6. Digging a Grave
    7. Tell No Lies
    8. Two Events in Life
    9. Waiting for the Veil
    10. The Final Room
    11. One Confession Away
    12. Break Free
    13. Same Old Day
    14.The Shepherd’s Boy

DISC 4
    1. Carol Singers will be Criticised
    2. A Dying Husband
    3. The Finest Surgeon in The Galaxy
    4. The Halassi Androvar
    5. The Husbands of River Song
    6. The TARDIS Can’t Take Off
    7. Time to Do it Properly
    8. Harmony and Redemption
    9. Hydroflax in The TARDIS
    10. Whole Again at Last
    11. All the Firewalls in The Galaxy
    12. A Restaurant with a View
    13. The Woman He Loves
    14. The Singing Towers

Now, will we have to wait as long (more than two years already) for the soundtrack of series 10 ? And after that, who will replace Murray Gold, who, as we all know, is irreplaceable ? Place your bets !
    what was the date on this news release again the first day on the fourth month I believe. ;)
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

So the long (and not particularly patiently) awaited soundtrack for series 9 has AT LAST a release date : April 27th 2018. Here are the visuals (note the use of the new logo) :

And the track list :

DISC 1
    1. The One in a Thousand
    2. Davros Remembers
    3. Message from Missy
    4. Meeting in the Square
    5. Finding The Doctor
    6. What Have You Done
    7. Davros Approaches
    9. The Ghosts
    17. I Am Ashildr
    19. I Call Myself Me
    20. They Need Us

DISC 2
    1. Deep Cover
    2. Just Come Inside
    3. This is Not a War
    4. Defending The Earth
    5. The Morpheus Song
    6. Saving Rigsy
    7. Madam Mayor
    9. Death is Locked In
    10. Face the Raven
    11. Back Home
    13. A Duty of Care
    14. Clara’s Diner

DISC 3
    1. A Second Shadow
    2. The Veil
    3. A Fly on a Painting
    4. A Change of Clothes
    5. A Mechanical Maze
    6. Digging a Grave
    7. Tell No Lies
    8. Two Events in Life
    9. Waiting for the Veil
    10. The Final Room
    11. One Confession Away
    12. Break Free
    13. Same Old Day
    14.The Shepherd’s Boy

DISC 4
    2. A Dying Husband
    4. The Halassi Androvar
    10. Whole Again at Last
    13. The Woman He Loves
    14. The Singing Towers

Now, will we have to wait as long (more than two years already) for the soundtrack of series 10 ? And after that, who will replace Murray Gold, who, as we all know, is irreplaceable ? Place your bets !

Find it a bit odd that they are using the new logo - at least with Big Finish they use the logo associated with that particular time and Doctor.
    Well, seems that they love that new logo so much they are putting it on everything now, from the Seventh Doctor comics :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFTug01eaKGEfVNczIp2F6HbHV0UWXe_62KIEaDFd2VqMwUOBd

To the German versions of the Tenth Doctor audios :

71B%2BtFn8kML._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

https://amazon.de/Doctor-Who-Technophobie-Matt-Fitton/dp/3785756828/ref=pd_sim_74_2/262-8650444-0085712?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MEBVJWTVHW7SEV2NEF37

I don't know if I shall approve.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    7th Doctor comics? Consider them bought.

And the track list :

DISC 1
    1. The One in a Thousand
    2. Davros Remembers
    3. Message from Missy
    4. Meeting in the Square
    5. Finding The Doctor
    6. What Have You Done
    7. Davros Approaches
    9. The Ghosts
    17. I Am Ashildr
    19. I Call Myself Me
    20. They Need Us

DISC 2
    1. Deep Cover
    2. Just Come Inside
    3. This is Not a War
    4. Defending The Earth
    5. The Morpheus Song
    6. Saving Rigsy
    7. Madam Mayor
    9. Death is Locked In
    10. Face the Raven
    11. Back Home
    13. A Duty of Care
    14. Clara’s Diner

DISC 3
    1. A Second Shadow
    2. The Veil
    3. A Fly on a Painting
    4. A Change of Clothes
    5. A Mechanical Maze
    6. Digging a Grave
    7. Tell No Lies
    8. Two Events in Life
    9. Waiting for the Veil
    10. The Final Room
    11. One Confession Away
    12. Break Free
    13. Same Old Day
    14.The Shepherd’s Boy

DISC 4
    2. A Dying Husband
    4. The Halassi Androvar
    10. Whole Again at Last
    13. The Woman He Loves
    14. The Singing Towers

Find it a bit odd that they are using the new logo - at least with Big Finish they use the logo associated with that particular time and Doctor.

Marketing to push the new female Doctor...

1-WhoFunky-feb5464.jpg?quality=90&lb=620,413&background=white

Assuming this is an April fools joke!
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Assuming this is an April fools joke!

;) it was mate
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 12,837
    Seems a bit weird using the new logo on everything. I like it and I get their thinking, brand unity and all that, but there's so much stuff already released that it's a strange choice imo. I guess it's no different to them using the latest 007 logo every time they re-release the Bond films but they're not going to re-release all the other series are they so it just seems a bit messy to me. Think they would have been better off just using the logo of the time for the related releases.

Interview with Russel T. Davies and Steven Moffat