'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2018 Posts: 13,894
    "Everyone else is doing it."

That still doesn't give them a pass to turn on the fans with equal vitarol that is said to have been thrown at Jodie Whittaker. For all the crap that was flung at JNT, by the fans, he never turned against the fans. I'm not happy with this decision by Chibnall*, but it isn't just that, the direction the show was going mid way through Capaldi's era, and the show runners attitude to the fans, even those that have supported the show through the highs and lows, has really soured my interest in following the show on it's present course. At least there is still Big Finish.

Talking of Big Finish, I see they have put up the covers for the upcoming McCoy releases. I don't like how they have the new logo on the covers, though I like the style of them (on saying that, I liked the previous style too), but at least the new covers are reversable.

*It's not about hating wimmin. If it had been a female all those years, and suddenly changed to a male, I would still feel the same.

Have to say I'm not adverse to having a female Doctor (especially when she looks like Jodie) and it was going to happen sometime - and apparently it was thought about in the 70s. And it certainly won't put me off watching a programme I've been watching since Pat Troughton was the Doctor. Just hope the 'Doctor Who is NOT female' brigade actually give her and the programme a chance and tune in.
    Re: Big Finish not too happy about the new logo appearing on all the new releases. Much prefer when the have the right logo for each Doctor. My Second Doctor Companion Chronicles Vol 2 don't match Vol 1. Grrr!

I can only speak for myself, it is is partly the gender change that has rubbed my up the wrong way. If it absolutely had to be an actress this time, then I would have rather it had been a unconventional looking actress such as... Maxine Peake. But it isn't just that, it is the vibes I was getting mid way through the Capaldi era (a joke about the male ego. good luck trying that with the gender changed), then the attitude from the likes of Chibnall towards the a demographic of the fan base, who are now being vilified and told they aren't fans. That last bit especially leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. Fans that have supported the show through it's highs and lows, are now being told that they aren't fans, just because they don't agree with the casting, and that they should just go away. Funny, the same level of bile isn't thrown at those who are equally not happy that the new doctor is, like all those before, white.

The new style covers of the audios are reversible. But I don't know if the logo for each Doctor will be the same 1996/Pertwee one, or the relevant one for each Doctor.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    "Everyone else is doing it."

That still doesn't give them a pass to turn on the fans with equal vitarol that is said to have been thrown at Jodie Whittaker. For all the crap that was flung at JNT, by the fans, he never turned against the fans. I'm not happy with this decision by Chibnall*, but it isn't just that, the direction the show was going mid way through Capaldi's era, and the show runners attitude to the fans, even those that have supported the show through the highs and lows, has really soured my interest in following the show on it's present course. At least there is still Big Finish.

Talking of Big Finish, I see they have put up the covers for the upcoming McCoy releases. I don't like how they have the new logo on the covers, though I like the style of them (on saying that, I liked the previous style too), but at least the new covers are reversable.

*It's not about hating wimmin. If it had been a female all those years, and suddenly changed to a male, I would still feel the same.

Have to say I'm not adverse to having a female Doctor (especially when she looks like Jodie) and it was going to happen sometime - and apparently it was thought about in the 70s. And it certainly won't put me off watching a programme I've been watching since Pat Troughton was the Doctor. Just hope the 'Doctor Who is NOT female' brigade actually give her and the programme a chance and tune in.
    Re: Big Finish not too happy about the new logo appearing on all the new releases. Much prefer when the have the right logo for each Doctor. My Second Doctor Companion Chronicles Vol 2 don't match Vol 1. Grrr!

I can only speak for myself, it is is partly the gender change that has rubbed my up the wrong way. If it absolutely had to be an actress this time, then I would have rather it had been a unconventional looking actress such as... Maxine Peake. But it isn't just that, it is the vibes I was getting mid way through the Capaldi era (a joke about the male ego. good luck trying that with the gender changed), then the attitude from the likes of Chibnall towards the a demographic of the fan base, who are now being vilified and told they aren't fans. That last bit especially leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. Fans that have supported the show through it's highs and lows, are now being told that they aren't fans, just because they don't agree with the casting, and that they should just go away. Funny, the same level of bile isn't thrown at those who are equally not happy that the new doctor is, like all those before, white.

The new style covers of the audios are reversible. But I don't know if the logo for each Doctor will be the same 1996/Pertwee one, or the relevant one for each Doctor.

Hadn't heard that re: Chibnall, but can understand that he's a little peed off with some fan reaction. But there is no need to say because you don't agree with it you're not fans, that's a bit off. I hope that Jodie's time as the Doctor brings forth some good stories, and although I like Nu-Who, I still much prefer Classic Who. Still haven't got over the fact that they ditched the cliffhanger. Remember watching Rose and thinking 'NO!, you can't wrap the story up in one episode!'. Took a bit of getting use to.
    I remember the time when people loudly protested against a certain Craig fellow that he was unfit to be the next 007 and they we're called not real fans either by the so-called fans.

With any major change comes conflict which is great for growth. That said some Who fans are vile, quite a few were banned from Gallifrey Base in the Tennant years for terrorizing a female writer and bashing her everywhere because they disagreed with her script. It was beyond ridiculous the attitude of these fans. And for sure there have been some very obnoxious stuff published online about the female Doctor. And to be honest if you cannot accept change in your series then you are not so much a fan as you say you are.

Just saying.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    There has definitely been a lot of poo flung around the fan base, I have seen some some specimen wish cancel of all things, on Jodie Whittaker. Now that is over the line. But it doesn't let the showrunner(s) off the hook for their attitude.

My short time, in comparison to many, as a fan of the show, has told me that there has long been an obnoxious attitude from some corners of the fan base, mostly from (and I am not tarring them all with the same brush) 4th Doctor fans.
    I am a 4th Doctor fan and I love all other Doctors and am bloody curious about the Lady Doctor, will be watching her with my daughters who are great Tennant/Smith fans. And they are excited about a lady Doctor. They endure my old Doctor dvd's. ;)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    edited July 2018 Posts: 13,384
    Funnily enough, my oldest Daughter is a huge Dr Who fan. Collecting Annuals, books as well as DVDs etc, but she says she'll not even watch the female Dr, as it's only being done for PC reasons.
    She says there have always been strong female characters/Role models in Dr Who. This was a move that wasn't needed.

I will be watching the new Dr, as I'll give her a chance. After all she could be brilliant at the role.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I will be watching the new Dr, as I'll give her a chance. After all she could be brilliant at the role.

When Matt Smith was cast I thought "no way, he looks about 12 years old". And he was a fantastic Doctor. You really believed he was a 900-year-old in a young man's body.

Can't wait to see a 900-year-old who's previously been 13 different men in a woman's body!
    Personally i'm not convinced by the Doctor having 3 companions,especially Bradley Walsh who is well known here as a gameshow host etc.

I hope it wont become the 'Rory and Amy' show as it did during Matt Smith's time quite often.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I'm excited to see how a female Doctor plays out, but I agree there are too many companions here. You would think with such a change in the Doctor, we would see more focus on her.

On the other hand, maybe they won't all appear in the first few episodes though, gradually introducing them throughout the season.
    That's what i'm hoping for Q,a general phasing in.

Jodie is a great actress (Broadchurch for example,the emotional trauma her character goes through during that series shows her range and commitment to the role.
    I thoroughly recommend members to watch that if they haven't,and it has David Tennant in the main role as the policeman investigating ! ).

Broadchurch was filmed in West Bay, Dorset - I go there pretty often as it's a popular motorcyclist hangout (good roads, lots of parking, burger bar).

https://www.visit-dorset.com/ideas-and-inspiration/film-and-tv/broadchurch
    I got the first season of Broadchurch to familiarize myself with Jodie. I know Darvill's in it too. Might get around to watching it one of these days.
    QBranch wrote: »
    I got the first season of Broadchurch to familiarize myself with Jodie. I know Darvill's in it too. Might get around to watching it one of these days.

Its very emotional and deep but engrossing stuff,once you start watching you cant stop.
    Personally i'm not convinced by the Doctor having 3 companions,especially Bradley Walsh who is well known here as a gameshow host etc.

Ahem :

Susan, Ian and Barbara.

Ben, Polly and Jamie.

Adric, Nyssa and Tegan

Nyssa, Tegan and Turlough.

In fact, the "tradition" of having only one Companion started with Pertwee, and it has known exception.

As for bradley Walsh being known only as a Gameshow host, well, in france, he's known for being the eldest detective in Law and Order : UK (and the only actor who has been in all seasons of that show). And he was really good in it (think Jerry Orback in the mothership, and you'll have an idea).

Meanwhile, I don't know how much credit you can give to this piece of news (it's the Mirror, after all), but :

DiNSGHxX4AAdMch?format=jpg

If it is true, it seems I'll have to push a few DVD on my shelves.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Gerard wrote: »

Ahem :

Susan, Ian and Barbara.

Ben, Polly and Jamie.

Adric, Nyssa and Tegan

Nyssa, Tegan and Turlough.

In fact, the "tradition" of having only one Companion started with Pertwee, and it has known exception.

As for bradley Walsh being known only as a Gameshow host, well, in france, he's known for being the eldest detective in Law and Order : UK (and the only actor who has been in all seasons of that show). And he was really good in it (think Jerry Orback in the mothership, and you'll have an idea).

Meanwhile, I don't know how much credit you can give to this piece of news (it's the Mirror, after all), but :

DiNSGHxX4AAdMch?format=jpg

If it is true, it seems I'll have to push a few DVD on my shelves.

I'm referring to the fact the Doctor is being played by a woman needs all the focus on her,and hopefully 3 companions wont take that away from her.

And as for Walsh I said : "known as a gameshow host here,etc ".
    I also didn't use the word 'only' known.
    The Silurians: Watched this 7-parter over the course of a few nights. Interesting to hear the creatures relocated underground because they thought a small planet (the Moon) was going to collide with Earth. This marks the first appearance of Geoffrey Palmer.
    QBranch wrote: »
    This marks the first appearance of Geoffrey Palmer.

!!! The Lovely Geoffrey Palmer!

You've made me realise I've never actually watched this one, only read the Target novel (which was called Dr Who And The Cave Monsters for some reason). I must rectify this.
    Glad to hear that, @Agent_99. I enjoyed that episode.

I've seen all of new Who twice, and the odd episode of Classic Who over the years, but since last year I've begun watching it from the very start. I'll share some comments here as I go along, as well as whatever Bond references I spot. So looking forward to Tom Baker, but I'm really enjoying Pertwee ATM. About to watch The Ambassadors of Death.
    On Bradley Walsh, he has dabbled with acting before, appearing in Corrie, and a few years before that, in the Mike Basset film.

The Pertwee era is pretty much one giant Bond reference!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    edited July 2018 Posts: 13,384
    He was also a villain in the Sarah Jane adventures
    That's awesome. The Ambassadors of Death begins with a brief PTS!
    I remember the morse code brush gadget from LALD appears in a Tom Baker episode too.
    barryt007 wrote: »

I hope it wont become the 'Rory and Amy' show as it did during Matt Smith's time quite often.

A lot of the older shows had three companions so I don't see any problem there. It all comes down to the quality of the writing in the end.
    On Bradley Walsh, he has dabbled with acting before, appearing in Corrie, and a few years before that, in the Mike Basset film.

Bradley Walsh has also had a lead role in Law And Order UK for quite a few seasons. I actually 'appeared' in one episode!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2018 Posts: 23,267

Not giving much away though probably not a bad thing to me personally, still a bit underwhelming wont get many potential viewers hooked.
    like it, this is gonna be fun.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Not giving much away though probably not a bad thing to me personally, still a bit underwhelming wont get many potential viewers hooked.

To be fair I'm glad they're not giving too much away. Still can't get over how they spoiled John Simm returning in the last series. That would have been such a brilliant surprise.

Can't say I'm too excited yet either though. Just way too early to judge any of it, they haven't really shown enough for me to have an opinion either way. I do like how cinematic it looks though. They seem to get better and better at that every series.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 23,267

To be fair I'm glad they're not giving too much away. Still can't get over how they spoiled John Simm returning in the last series. That would have been such a brilliant surprise.

Can't say I'm too excited yet either though. Just way too early to judge any of it, they haven't really shown enough for me to have an opinion either way. I do like how cinematic it looks though. They seem to get better and better at that every series.

I did like the industrial feel in the trailer, made me think of H.G. Wells which is not a bad thing.
    More from San Diego Comic Con...

• All rather exciting. The power of Doctor Who is so intense that it appears that Chris Chibnall's hair has grown back. Potent stuff.

I agree that a shorter non-spoilery trailer is for the best. I think it did enough to whet the appetite, which is all it needs to do at this stage.