'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    The Ambassadors of Death Part 3: half way in, we see the baddie's van has revolving number plates, and the company sign on the side of the van even changes.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    QBranch wrote: »
    The Ambassadors of Death Part 3: half way in, we see the baddie's van has revolving number plates, and the company sign on the side of the van even changes.

I love the Pertwee era one of the reasons is story's often went off on different tangents, Ambassadors of Death is a good story, I am sure Moffat took inspiration from it for The Impossible Astronaut.

Inferno ended on a humorous note, with the Doctor insulting Lethbridge-Stewart before leaving - just to reappear moments later and ask for his help! Liz Shaw is getting more attractive by the episode... and I'm not even drinking.
    Watching Terror of the Autons. It's the second time I've seen Roy Stewart (Quarrel Junior). He plays a circus strongman, and of course, this also marks the first appearance of the Master.
  • QBranch wrote: »
    Inferno ended on a humorous note, with the Doctor insulting Lethbridge-Stewart before leaving - just to reappear moments later and ask for his help! Liz Shaw is getting more attractive by the episode... and I'm not even drinking.

Certainly don't need alcohol to find Liz Shaw attractive. Although, if you have just watched Inferno is it our Liz or the Brigade Leader's slightly scary darker haired version that appeals?

She is a very underrated companion, who proved to be just a little too brilliant and accomplished to play the eyes of the audience. I prefer her to Jo Grant, although I concede that Pertwee had a wonderful chemistry with Katy Manning.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2018 Posts: 13,894

Certainly don't need alcohol to find Liz Shaw attractive. Although, if you have just watched Inferno is it our Liz or the Brigade Leader's slightly scary darker haired version that appeals?

She is a very underrated companion, who proved to be just a little too brilliant and accomplished to play the eyes of the audience. I prefer her to Jo Grant, although I concede that Pertwee had a wonderful chemistry with Katy Manning.

Indeed, Liz Shaw deserves more love.

4638e06b84ee1142b947fe13ba94f5a8cff84f7d_hq.jpg

With the possible exception of Romana, Liz Shaw was the closest to being an intellectual to the Doctor, of any companion.

I felt in the mood for some Pertwee, but rather than my go-to Pertwee era story, The Sea Devils, I went instead for...

The Time Warrior
    p0145shj.jpg
    Preferably our Liz... but naturally, both would appeal. ;)
    I had read that Liz would leave abruptly, but not so soon! Not just when I'm starting to crush on her a little. I'm liking Jo - I have gotten used to her quite quickly. Cute girl - terrible hairstyle though!
    I felt in the mood for some Pertwee, but rather than my go-to Pertwee era story, The Sea Devils, I went instead for...

The Time Warrior
    Looking forward to that, but as I'm watching Classic Who for the first time, I'm compelled to view them all in order. I'm on The Mind of Evil, episode 3. Some humorous dialogue from the Brigadier in this arc:

BENTON: "I got this sort of throbbing in my head. I guess I fainted. When I came to, she'd gone."
    BRIGADIER: "Throbbing in the head? Fainting? You're too delicate for intelligence work, Benton. You'd better go and lie down."

DOCTOR: "I see you're in your usual sweet affable mood, Brigadier."
    BRIGADIER: "When you've quite finished grinning like a Cheshire cat, Captain Yates!"
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    In order from the beginning is the best way to do it. That is what I tell any newcomer that asks me where to begin watching.
  • In order from the beginning is the best way to do it. That is what I tell any newcomer that asks me where to begin watching.

That's what I did a few years ago. I feel there should be a special club for people who have ploughed through the reconstructions of the Hartnell and Troughton eras, in order. We could gather in town halls and discuss the horror of attempting to interpret what was going on in parts of The Celestial Toymaker. Our blank gazes, haunted looks, and hatred of Billy Bunter would mark us out in society. If you make it through the reconstructions then you know you are on velvet for the rest of the show's run. Badge of honour, really.

Troughton's my favourite (the man was just brilliant), however, if the TARDIS turned up tomorrow, I think the Doctor I would most like to go on an adventure with would be Jon Pertwee's. I'm not the first to say it, but I would feel safer with him than with any other incarnation. Plus, there would be gadgets, cars, Liz/Jo/Sarah Jane, and a chance to banter with the greatest 'companion' of them all, the magnificent Brig.
    Troughton's my favourite (the man was just brilliant), however, if the TARDIS turned up tomorrow, I think the Doctor I would most like to go on an adventure with would be Jon Pertwee's. I'm not the first to say it, but I would feel safer with him than with any other incarnation. Plus, there would be gadgets, cars, Liz/Jo/Sarah Jane, and a chance to banter with the greatest 'companion' of them all, the magnificent Brig.

McCoy is my favourite, but Troughton is on his heels at #2. I feel Troughton doesn't get the respect as a Doctor that he deserves, he was, afterall, the one that proved another actor could take on the role, and do something different with it. Pertwee is another top 5 Doctor. His was the most heroic acting Doctor. Any Sontaran or Sea Devil show up to cause trouble, he'd break out some Venusian Akido, and save the day.

• McCoy is my favourite, but Troughton is on his heels at #2. I feel Troughton doesn't get the respect as a Doctor that he deserves, he was, afterall, the one that proved another actor could take on the role, and do something different with it. Pertwee is another top 5 Doctor. His was the most heroic acting Doctor. Any Sontaran or Sea Devil show up to cause trouble, he'd break out some Venusian Akido, and save the day.

Troughton is the Doctor's Doctor, I think. Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy and Matt Smith all have Pat down has their favourite Doctor, while Hartnell, Tom Baker and Christopher Eccleston have all spoken admiringly of his talents. Dear old Jon Pertwee was a mate, who he used to have water pistol fights with at conventions. It's just a shame that so much of his era is lost.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Looking forward to that, but as I'm watching Classic Who for the first time, I'm compelled to view them all in order. I'm on The Mind of Evil, episode 3.

I was lucky enough to see this when the BFI screened a Who story a month, one for each Doctor, as part of the 50th anniversary celebrations. There was a panel afterwards with Terrance Dicks, Katy Manning, John Levene and Richard Franklin. Just terrific:

Meanwhile, in another corner of the Whoniverse, the soundtrack for the series Class will be out shortly. Here are the covers for the vinyl and CD editions :

Class-Soundtrack-Vinyl.jpg

Class-Soundtrack-CD.jpg

thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2018/07/22/the-class-soundtrack-is-coming-and-the-cover-art-actually-gorgeous/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,267
    I could not get into Class I gave up after two episodes, to be honest I never liked Torchwood either. When it comes to Doctor Who Universe if the Doctor does not appear my interest wains. It's always been about the character of Doctor Who that has interested me.
    In order from the beginning is the best way to do it. That is what I tell any newcomer that asks me where to begin watching.
    That's what I did a few years ago. I feel there should be a special club for people who have ploughed through the reconstructions of the Hartnell and Troughton eras, in order. We could gather in town halls and discuss the horror of attempting to interpret what was going on in parts of The Celestial Toymaker. Our blank gazes, haunted looks, and hatred of Billy Bunter would mark us out in society. If you make it through the reconstructions then you know you are on velvet for the rest of the show's run. Badge of honour, really.
    I tried to get through the animated/still frame episodes, but sadly, lost patience after a while :( It's certainly a pity not to be able to see all of Troughton, he was a very likeable Doctor.

The Mind of Evil episode 4: The Doctor and Jo are in the cell, and the guy who brings them some 'grub' looks like Arthur Darvill.

The Claws of Axos: The Doctor vs spaghetti monsters.

I like the Axons look though, with the Caesar hair and bulgy eyes.

The third Doctor sure gets tortured a lot, poor bugger!
    I understand how you feel about the tele-snap episodes, @QBranch, but I don't agree on the animated ones. Ok, I would rather they be in their original live action form, but animated episodes are the next best thing, imo.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I could not get into Class I gave up after two episodes, to be honest I never liked Torchwood either. When it comes to Doctor Who Universe if the Doctor does not appear my interest wains. It's always been about the character of Doctor Who that has interested me.

The exception for me was Sarah Jane Adventures, which I loved. It felt more like the Dr Who of my childhood than current Who does!
    Agent_99 wrote: »

The exception for me was Sarah Jane Adventures, which I loved. It felt more like the Dr Who of my childhood than current Who does!

Agree I watched several episodes of Sarah Jane Adventures including the episodes with Smith and Tennant. Sladen had not changed much at all since her Pertwee and Baker days.
    Having only just found out about the Big Finish sale, #'s 51 to 100 in the Main Range for just £3 each, I quickly snapped up Live 34, Unregenerate! and The Harvest.
    The new Tardis has been revealed, through a leak. My opinion : it's very... Kryptonian.

doctorwhotv.co.uk/full-13th-doctors-tardis-interior-leaked-87965.htm
    Gerard wrote: »
    The new Tardis has been revealed, through a leak. My opinion : it's very... Kryptonian.

doctorwhotv.co.uk/full-13th-doctors-tardis-interior-leaked-87965.htm

That is one weird looking interior.

First reaction from me is that looks awful
    The struts (bursting through the floor?) look like they started with the 1996 console room (still my favourite), and then just went off on an LSD trip.
    Colony in Space Really enjoyed this one. I loved the aliens - both the primitives and their superiors. I kinda wish they'd show up again in future episodes. Loved how the ending with the Brigadier came full circle with the start.

The Daemons Not bad, but I didn't find it as interesting as the previous few stories. Still, it's worth watching just to witness Pertwee point and yell "COCK!"

Now, on to Day of the Daleks
    The Daemons Not bad, but I didn't find it as interesting as the previous few stories. Still, it's worth watching just to witness Pertwee point and yell "COCK!"

And of course : "Chaps with wing here, five rounds, rapid !" And the appearance of Petronella Osgood's father (or grandfather).
    Gerard wrote: »
    And of course : "Chaps with wing here, five rounds, rapid !" And the appearance of Petronella Osgood's father (or grandfather).
    I missed that, got a bit distracted while watching this story. There's definitely a lot of amusing dialogue though, some which catch me by surprise.

Day of the Daleks

Had a lot of fun watching this.. I liked how the end of part 3 has the kaleidoscopic pattern from the credits playing on the screen while the Doctor's mind is being probed. The Controller (Aubrey Woods) looks like a cross between Kyle MacLachlan and a young Sean Bean. In this story, Jo Grant reminds me of Ladyhawke (the singer). She's wearing pink underwear.
    Doctor Who: Cat Flap - The Making of 'Survival'

Part 1

Part 2

Who knows how different the show could have been if it had continued. McCoy gets his 4th and last series, then what? I think Richard Griffiths would have made a wonderfully eccentric Doctor in his own way. So there's my 8th Doctor. My 9th Doctor would be Griffiths' Withnail & I co-star, and Shalka Doctor, Richard E Grant. No idea beyond that.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,267
    Who knows how different the show could have been if it had continued. McCoy gets his 4th and last series, then what? I think Richard Griffiths would have made a wonderfully eccentric Doctor in his own way. So there's my 8th Doctor. My 9th Doctor would be Griffiths' Withnail & I co-star, and Shalka Doctor, Richard E Grant. No idea beyond that.

I recently rewatched the McCoy era, I hate to say it though I found his first season almost unwatchable, things start to pick up in his second season though his third season is considerably superior. Its a shame it took so long for the writing to give McCoy someone good to work with.

Interesting choices for further Doctors Withnail & I would have potentially given us three Doctors, or even four if you added Ralph Brown...

Danny.jpg

Danny was a great character.

I recently rewatched the McCoy era, I hate to say it though I found his first season almost unwatchable, things start to pick up in his second season though his third season is considerably superior. Its a shame it took so long for the writing to give McCoy someone good to work with.

Interesting choices for further Doctors Withnail & I would have potentially given us three Doctors, or even four if you added Ralph Brown...

Danny.jpg

Danny was a great character.

Personally, I don't hate series 24, but there is a definite upturn in quality between the three series. If only the quality had translated into ratings, rather than running counter to them.