'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• edited June 2018 Posts: 5,808
    New composer for the series named :

https://radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-06-26/new-doctor-who-composer-revealed-for-jodie-whittakers-first-series-2/

Meanwhile, we're still waiting for the soundtrack for Series 10.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 12,837
    Just seen the leaked stuff. The new sonic looks like a dildo. The clip was alright, I think the whole just regenerated wackiness is a bit played out at this point to be honest though, I sort of wish they'd just jumped forward and skipped that, like they did with Eccleston. It's impossible to judge at this point but she seems a lot like Tennant imo. I sort of expected that after the ratings went down with Capaldi but I'm hoping that she does put her own spin on it and isn't too similar to Tennant/Smith.
    I have not seen older shows, but Clara was wonderful. I wish they had ended her character a bit brighter, more hopeful future (though they shaded it best they could since they made her story go in that direction).
    When does Jodie's tenure start airing? Bear with me, I live overseas and cannot access easily. I loved Peter as the Doctor. But Jodie is fine and I think good to finally go with a female in the lead. Interesting in many ways.

I'll miss Clara, though. I liked her a lot.

I think it's in October 2018 I vaguely remember reading, it's definitely this autumn.

Clara had her detractors though I liked her alot, Clara was a good companion.

I liked Clara a lot, Jenna Coleman is a great actress (could easily see her as a Bond girl actually) but I think she was in it for too long. Capaldi's last series just felt so much more fresh and exciting with Bill and Nardole imo.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,361
    I agree in that Clara stayed too long her first half season as much as I liked it limited what you could do with her after.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I agree in that Clara stayed too long her first half season as much as I liked it limited what you could do with her after.

I love how in Sylv's audition, The (7th) Doctor is already there, just with a slightly different fashion sense.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I love how in Sylv's audition, The (7th) Doctor is already there, just with a slightly different fashion sense.

My brother met McCoy at a Who convention and said how charming he was and literally was the Doctor, much like Tom Baker I think Sylvester was pretty much himself in the role.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

My brother met McCoy at a Who convention and said how charming he was and literally was the Doctor, much like Tom Baker I think Sylvester was pretty much himself in the role.

I think that is spot on (for both). They looked ready made Doctors.
    I have never seen this retrospective of his own era by Colin Baker, I have always had alot of time for Colin, he is very articulate and has an obvious appreciation of becoming the Doctor.

edited June 2018 Posts: 13,894
    I have mixed feeling on Colin's era. Nothing against Colin, his audio commentaries are highly recommended, and he didn't deserve the shafting the BBC gave him. The tacking of The Twin Dilemma onto Davisons last series (rather that opening up Colin's first series), The Trial Of A Timlord series (excellent idea, poor execution) the Doctors garish fashion sense and casting Bonnie Langford* just for her scream, are some of my problems.

Favourite 6th Doctor tv stores:
    Attack Of The Cybermen
    Vengeance On Varos
    The Mark Of The Rani
    The Two Doctors

I want to include Revelation Of The Daleks, but the inclusion of Alexi Sayle (there you go, another problem) stop me doing so. I was born too late to appreciate anarchic 80's alternative comedians (which now looks more dated, than comedy of previous decades like The Two Ronnies and Dick Emery, but this is for another thread).

*BUT I wouldn't consider her one of the worst companions, thanks to Big Finish, who have repaired the damage done to Mel, through her tv stories. She doesn't scream in the audios.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 5,808
    To be published in september :

merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/titan-comics-the-many-lives-of-doctor-who/

I'm not sure about the Fourth Doctor segment, but the other two (and there's probably more) look good.

merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/titan-comics-the-many-lives-of-doctor-who/

many-ilves.jpg

13th-comic1.jpg

13th-comic2.jpg

13th-comic3.jpg
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 5,808
    Good news for the (few) fans of Class (of which I am, mind you) : the CD of the music is in progress right now :

https://facebook.com/blairmowatmusic/posts/622538604842801

Let's hope they'll have April's song in it :

I have mixed feeling on Colin's era. Nothing against Colin, his audio commentaries are highly recommended, and he didn't deserve the shafting the BBC gave him. The tacking of The Twin Dilemma onto Davisons last series (rather that opening up Colin's first series), The Trial Of A Timlord series (excellent idea, poor execution) the Doctors garish fashion sense and casting Bonnie Langford* just for her scream, are some of my problems.

Favourite 6th Doctor tv stores:
    Attack Of The Cybermen
    Vengeance On Varos
    The Mark Of The Rani
    The Two Doctors

I want to include Revelation Of The Daleks, but the inclusion of Alexi Sayle (there you go, another problem) stop me doing so. I was born too late to appreciate anarchic 80's alternative comedians (which now looks more dated, than comedy of previous decades like The Two Ronnies and Dick Emery, but this is for another thread).

*BUT I wouldn't consider her one of the worst companions, thanks to Big Finish, who have repaired the damage done to Mel, through her tv stories. She doesn't scream in the audios.

I liked Colin and the more brash interpretation, I never took to Davidson at all when I watched him in the 80's so Colin was a welcome change. Alas even during the later Tom shows the series was in decline and some of the writing during the 80's was very poor, Colin got some stinkers.
    I didn't care much for Davison when I started watching Doctor Who, but he has moved up my ranking a few spots. The Caves Of Androzani is one of the best, possibly THE best final story of any Doctor. The modern writers could learn a about about final stories form The Caves Of Androzani, such as the Doctor not making a grand speech that feels like it goes on for hours.
    I didn't care much for Davison when I started watching Doctor Who, but he has moved up my ranking a few spots. The Caves Of Androzani is one of the best, possibly THE best final story of any Doctor. The modern writers could learn a about about final stories form The Caves Of Androzani, such as the Doctor not making a grand speech that feels like it goes on for hours.

Looking forward to re watching his era on TWITCH I may end up revising my opinion on the Davidson era, it's been many years since I watched many of his episodes. Key to Time is currently on TWITCH so not long to wait. I have The Caves Of Androzani on DVD its is a great story, New Who lacks the subtly of the great Classic episodes.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Getting back into classic Who now - Third doctor. Really enjoying Pertwee's incarnation.

Upon watching episode 3 of Spearhead From Space, I caught these Bond-related moments:

- A minor character is seen lighting his pipe with Swan Vestas.

- Two characters refer to the meteorite (energy unit) as the 'Thunderball'.

At the start of episode 4, we see what appears to be the geiger counter from Doctor No - or at least a variant with extra cables attached.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    John Pertwee was the action Dr.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 13,894
    jon_pertwee_tall.jpg

'nuff said.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    It was easy to get used to him so quickly, after Troughton. Similar characteristics and voice.

About to make some dinner (not jelly babies) and watch The Silurians.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-44822218
    New Dr Who trailer to debut in world cup final.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    John Pertwee was the action Dr.

I recently heard him referred to as 'the James Bond Doctor' (which would explain why he's always been my favourite) thanks to all the vehicle chases, fight scenes, recurring antagonist, the snappy dressing etc.
    In one of the special features, they mentioned some new type of small speedboat they used in a chase sequence. John Pertwee was so impressed with it that he bought one.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I believe it! I read that the reason there's so much vehicle chase action in Planet of the Spiders is that they wanted to give Jon a treat for his last story. And he liked tearing around on motorbikes in his youth.
    Recently rewatched Pertwee entire run, I find his five seasons some of the easiest to revisit. Pertwee has gone into my top three Doctors, he has a strong case for being the best, though U.N.I.T.S presence in his tenure elevated his serials further as did the brilliant Delgado.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 23,361
    Not a great reason IMO...

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/chibnall-to-not-cast-a-female-wouldve-left-us-behind-the-world-87688.htm

Anyway here are some shots from the new series taken from the above link...
    Dh7qKjCV4AEBuy8.jpgDh7qKjAVMAAqT7O.jpg Dh7qKi-VMAUOy35.jpg
    edited July 2018 Posts: 13,894
    "Everyone else is doing it."

That still doesn't give them a pass to turn on the fans with equal vitarol that is said to have been thrown at Jodie Whittaker. For all the crap that was flung at JNT, by the fans, he never turned against the fans. I'm not happy with this decision by Chibnall*, but it isn't just that, the direction the show was going mid way through Capaldi's era, and the show runners attitude to the fans, even those that have supported the show through the highs and lows, has really soured my interest in following the show on it's present course. At least there is still Big Finish.

Talking of Big Finish, I see they have put up the covers for the upcoming McCoy releases. I don't like how they have the new logo on the covers, though I like the style of them (on saying that, I liked the previous style too), but at least the new covers are reversable.

*It's not about hating wimmin. If it had been a female all those years, and suddenly changed to a male, I would still feel the same.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Short, sweet, gives nothing away. Loved it.

edited July 2018 Posts: 23,361
    Short, sweet, gives nothing away. Loved it.

Its just a promo nothing from an episode, hate to say it though it reminded me of an Eastenders promo, one thing in the shows favor is Jodie is very likable.
    Yes, she certainly lights up the screen. Noticed the issue of The Beano Bradley Walsh was holding ? It's the same Matt Smith reads in "The Rings of Akhaten"). Oh, and the Doctor has met the Muppets recently (well, the Pigs Into Space) at the O2 in London. Clips here :

doctorwhotoys.forumotion.com/t3001-doctor-who-meets-the-muppets#21410

I wish I'd been there.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    "Everyone else is doing it."

That still doesn't give them a pass to turn on the fans with equal vitarol that is said to have been thrown at Jodie Whittaker. For all the crap that was flung at JNT, by the fans, he never turned against the fans. I'm not happy with this decision by Chibnall*, but it isn't just that, the direction the show was going mid way through Capaldi's era, and the show runners attitude to the fans, even those that have supported the show through the highs and lows, has really soured my interest in following the show on it's present course. At least there is still Big Finish.

Talking of Big Finish, I see they have put up the covers for the upcoming McCoy releases. I don't like how they have the new logo on the covers, though I like the style of them (on saying that, I liked the previous style too), but at least the new covers are reversable.

*It's not about hating wimmin. If it had been a female all those years, and suddenly changed to a male, I would still feel the same.

Have to say I'm not adverse to having a female Doctor (especially when she looks like Jodie) and it was going to happen sometime - and apparently it was thought about in the 70s. And it certainly won't put me off watching a programme I've been watching since Pat Troughton was the Doctor. Just hope the 'Doctor Who is NOT female' brigade actually give her and the programme a chance and tune in.
    Re: Big Finish not too happy about the new logo appearing on all the new releases. Much prefer when the have the right logo for each Doctor. My Second Doctor Companion Chronicles Vol 2 don't match Vol 1. Grrr!
    Trailer was a massive anti climax if you ask me?
    I didn't think much of it either.