'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

Well, it's not a song I wish to hear at Christmas, that's for sure. But it's catchy and well-sung. BTW, the name of the singer is Christina Rotondo :

https://www.christinarotondo.com/

And I don't kno about you, but her voice would be a good fit for the next Bond song.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Lots of people were calling her Janis Goblin yesterday :)
    =D>
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2023 Posts: 13,894
    SPOILERS!!!
    The Goblin Song - Official Lyric Video | The Church on Ruby Road | Doctor Who

%-(

giphy.gif

... was that?

DW in name only...

I watched some of The Giggle again and RTD IMO clearly does not care for the original fans of the show. I will watch the Christmas Special though after that I will likely wait until the likes of 8th Doctor gets his own show in the Whoniverse, hopefully someone like Moffat will be involved in that, I am grasping at straws.

I wouldn't be surprised if RTD is going out of his mind, spending too much time going after imaginary trolls on twitter.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Reminding myself of what truly great DW is World Enough in Time is brilliant. The two parter itself is genius by Moffat,

it cleverly inserted two of the most important beggining'a and end respectively in DW lore, I thank Moffat for that as he did both extremely well.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2023 Posts: 23,450
    The Doctor refuses to Regenerate

Merry Christmas.
    Where I Fall from The Doctor Falls.

This is the level I expect from DW.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2023 Posts: 15,007
    Reminding myself of what truly great DW is World Enough in Time is brilliant. The two parter itself is genius by Moffat,

it cleverly inserted two of the most important beggining'a and end respectively in DW lore, I thank Moffat for that as he did both extremely well.

Yes I love those ones, it’s a great story. For a while I kind of saw it as the finale of the whole show.
    I see The Giggle got an audience appreciation index of 85, which is the highest the show has had since World Enough- they took a real tumble under Chibnall. The last series and special achieved an average of only 77, which is very bad.

Gerard wrote: »
    =D>

My mistake, it is her actual official name! Or it is now, anyway.

GBOf1MXWwAAqA8W?format=jpg&name=small

https://x.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1734906023083720868?s=20

EDIT:

7 day viewing figure for Wild Blue Yonder released: 7.142m, 9th for the week after Strictly and 7 episodes of I'm a Celeb. The highest rated drama of the week, beating the second (Shetland) which only got 5.5m. Still a very impressive showing, it'll be interesting to see how folks try to spin that as a poor performance.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I haven't watched the Capaldi episodes since they went out, but I remember feeling largely cold towards them for the most part. Capaldi was a good Doctor, and as a fan of the Cybermen, I liked that they went back to their OG design*, but Flatline and to a lesser extent, Mummy On The Orient Express, were the only episodes that I liked.

*Even though that wasn't my favourite of their look.
    Here are the jackets for the DVD/Blu-Ray and SteelBook release of the Daleks in Colour :

daleks-dvd-2.jpg

daleks-steel-2.jpg
    In the "You learn new things every day" department : Seems like the Goblins in the future Christmas episode are really a thing. Just learned that these creatures will come for you if you don't take down your christmas decorations before february 2nd. Charles Dickens even wrote a novella about them :

https://www.online-literature.com/dickens/4390/

Who knew, right ?
    The Church on Ruby Road the third act saved the episode,

This is not good the show is dead.
    SEASON 1 TEASER | Doctor Who 2024 | Doctor Who
    A few things : First, I want to have that full song. Second :
    Who is this old lady ? She seems to know quite a few things.
    . Third : Good episode all around, but I prefer "A Christmas Carol".

And that "Next Time" teaser is full of promises, including an appearance by a (admittedly younger) singer who was associated with Bond. When will we see Dame Shirley Bassey in the show ?
    Ruby is the stand out in character development.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2023 Posts: 15,007

To you maybe, for a great many of us others it was lots of fun.
    mtm wrote: »

The writing was not very good, if you enjoyed it cool.
    Gerard wrote: »

R.I.P. Richard Franklin, one of my favorite era's of Doctor Who.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

The writing was not very good, if you enjoyed it cool.

It was much better than it has been for five years. The 'Wonderful Life' style bit was coldly chilling in a way the previous writer could never manage.
    Actually managed to watch the new Christmas special this year (haven't consistently watched Dr. Who from somewhere in the Tennant years to the point where I haven't seen much of the show past a certain point, and definitely can't remember the last time I actually sat down to watch a Christmas episode on Christmas Day).
    I generally enjoyed Gatwa's performance. I suspect he'll grow more into the role as time goes on, but it's a good start. From what I can tell it's a more lighthearted and empathetic version of the Doctor - he still has the character's trademark streaks of being impatient along with a tendency towards getting lost in his own thoughts, but compared to what I saw of some of Moffat's tenure this version seems much more 'human' and cut much less from the Sherlock-esque 'socially awkward genius' cloth if that makes sense. Compared to the early RTD episodes it seems to be a Doctor with less 'baggage' too about his past. Keep in mind I'm someone who hasn't kept up with this show in a long time so I get there's a lot of stuff in this area that's likely been dealt with and I may even be slightly off the mark with that comment - I know there was that little reference to the Doctor being 'adopted' which I sort of know is an idea from the previous era and may well inform how impacted the Doctor is by Ruby and her foster Mother's adopted family. Overall though it seems like a good point to start if you haven't kept up with the series then, which was obviously great for me.

Otherwise I'm not sure if I was sold on this one unfortunately. It's very much a Labyrinth type premise with Gremlins, a baby being stolen, and even a musical number midway through. I liked how the Gremlins were built up as being these mischievous 'tricksters' who follow Ruby causing accidents, but otherwise they weren't terribly memorable or even threatening for me. It never feels like The Doctor or Ruby are in genuine danger. It doesn't help that The Doctor seems to now have these 'gravity' gloves which the script essentially uses to get him out of the Gremlin spaceship first time around, and even defeat it later (maybe it's just me, but it felt pretty unsatisfying, and much like James Bond I think it's more interesting when a) our main character is faced with obstacles or limitations which means he can't fully use these gadgets at his disposal, and b) they have to think 'laterally' in order to get out of dangerous scenarios. I guess the Doctor sort of does the latter here by reversing the gravity setting or whatever on the gloves, but again just something about the fact that he seems one step ahead the entire time doesn't make it feel all that suspenseful or gripping).

It's a very quick paced plot, which is fine for a Christmas episode. Again though, nothing really feels like it has quite the full impact it's going for. I kind of knew when the Gremlins went back in time and stole the infant Ruby that everything was going to be wrapped up quickly (yes, I know that's the most likely outcome of a Dr. Who episode, but again it's a case where in the moment I didn't feel engaged enough to not think this). I liked seeing the Doctor get emotionally impacted by seeing this alternate version Ruby's Mum who is unhappy and never adopted all her children, but it's such an interesting idea to come so late and be resolved so quickly that something about it just feels unsatisfying (there's an episode of the Eccleston era which deals with a similar idea - the one where Rose goes back and saves her Dad which in turn creates all kinds of paradoxes/results in aliens coming in and trying to 'fix the timeline'. It's a great and quite emotional episode from what I remember, but it works mainly because the entire episode revolves around these ideas and time is taken to build up to the ending).

Ruby as a companion is... fine I guess. Gibson's quite likeable, and Ruby has an interesting backstory. I think it'll definitely be developed later (one can imagine her having ulterior motives in travelling with the Doctor through the form of potentially finding her parents, which could in turn cause conflict between the two and be quite interesting to see play out). I don't think anything really stuck here though. Apart from her backstory I thought Ruby and her foster Mother lacked personality and were even a bit too 'nice'. I found them boring personally.

Can't fault the set design and SFX.

Not quite sure why Divina McCall was there but I have no strong feelings about this cameo.

I liked the ending with Mrs. Flood looking to camera. Obviously she'll be important later and it's a great way to hook viewers for the next series.

I can see why many would enjoy this episode, and when I watched it with family members some actually were really into it. I know other people who didn't enjoy this one too, and again can very much see why. I don't think it was anywhere near enough to reignite a long lost interest in Dr. Who for me, but I'll try and keep up with the show a bit more. I still need to catch up with the recent Tennant episodes which I've heard are quite good.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I do agree about the gadget solving the plot: I found that bit unsatisfying too, but resolutions were rarely RTD's strong point. It was a bit of a Christmas Day romp I think- nothing too demanding.

It got the third highest ratings for the day behind the King and Strictly.
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 2,969
    I do agree about the gadget solving the plot: I found that bit unsatisfying too, but resolutions were rarely RTD's strong point. It was a bit of a Christmas Day romp I think- nothing too demanding.

It got the third highest ratings for the day behind the King and Strictly.

Oh definitely. The purpose of it was to be what you watch after your Christmas dinner while probably a bit tipsy. I just think it could have done much better at being that Christmas romp.

But overall I think it's better regarded than the efforts of the previous writer/Doctor, and there was a legit sense of much more 'excitement' for a Christmas special which was nice to see. I kept with it easy enough despite not being 100% into it (honestly, from the few Whitikar and even Smith episodes I've seen I've switched off some of them halfway through).
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 13,985
    I enjoyed the four episodes but 'Wild Blue Yonder' was by far my favourite. So ominous with all the unknown...I was seriously concerned with the ship reconfiguring in such a way, from a safety perspective. Wondering, what if the whole ship turned inside out? At least it'd be quick. Maybe. Ooh. That mysterious countdown, 'Jimbo' looking like he should be deep diving despite the rust.. Great music that, for me, evoked Blade Runner and 1980s excitement of science and discovery. Horror elements always a bonus - I kinda prefer when episodes include them actually, and little details like the TARDIS translating the end of the countdown was cool. Disturbing how real Donna nearly got left behind and witnessed fate rushing down the hallway towards her from afar.

Ranking:

1. Wild Blue Yonder
    2. The Star Beast
    3. The Giggle
    4. The Church on Ruby Road
    A Doctor reads a letter by a Doctor :

Oh, and just for thse who would complain about the Doctor singing :

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I went to see the Dr Who stage play starring Pertwee which had many musical numbers: it was great fun.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 1 Posts: 15,007

Lizo Mzimba is now saying that the 28 day total for Star Beast was 9 and half million viewers, coming no.1 for the day and beating Strictly.

I found The Church On Ruby Road to be really, really... average.

Also, RIP to Mike Yates/Richard Franklin.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    7 day ratings for Church on Ruby Road are 7.5 million with an AI of 82. An audience share of over 40%.

Jodie Whittaker's last festive special got a 7 day of 4.39 million and an AI of 77.