'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    That is more encouraging after the initial poor numbers.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    They weren't poor numbers to start with, no.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2023 Posts: 23,457
    I got 20 minutes into a Star Beast rewatch and gave up. I decided to watch Spearhead from Space (one of the best) instead from one of my favorite DW era's, highly entertaining. Very unnerving story and the real locations add to the story. This episode has a lot of charm,

Instantly good character dynamic between The Doctor and Liz, great chemistry.

Pertwee is a brilliant Doctor, god mode activated.

'Smith, Doctor John Smith' epic!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Star Beast is the first episode I’ve rewatched since Capaldi, and I enjoyed it just as much on the rewatch. Looks great in UHD too.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Had a lot of fun with this. Will likely watch it again soon. Some standout moments for me:
    - When they sneak past the guy on the couch, the Doctor gestures to the others to keep the noise down. That's a great little bit of 'choreography' how he waves his hands about, it looked cool and a little cartoonish.
    - The Meep going "Meep meep!" as they sneak waddle past.
    - The story randomly cutting back to that boy at his bedroom window, and his reactions to the chaos on the street below.
    - Donna's reaction when 'waking up'.
    - "Thank you, Bob the Builder."
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2023 Posts: 15,012
    I liked that the Bob the Builder line seemed to be a bit of ADR, which they'd presumably stuck on because they knew anal Dr Who fans would never stop going on about it not being concrete! :D
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I got 20 minutes into a Star Beast rewatch and gave up. I decided to watch Spearhead from Space (one of the best) instead from one of my favorite DW era's, highly entertaining. Very unnerving story and the real locations add to the story. This episode has a lot of charm,

You've gotta love The Pertwee.

11d2dd31c5525341dd293e375914efa1bcce63ad_00.gif

tumblr_nbjppuGLV61qcwhkeo2_250.gif

Always ready to bust out some Venusian Akido moves.

Pertwee's era is great fun and action packed, Spearhead from Space has a lot of Bond and Avengers vibes, decided to do a full rewatch of his 5 seasons now it is on BBCi Player.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Pertwee's era is great fun and action packed, Spearhead from Space has a lot of Bond and Avengers vibes, decided to do a full rewatch of his 5 seasons now it is on BBCi Player.

I love the Pertwee era. Even though UNIT doesn't appear in it, The Sea Devils is my favourite. With his Navy WW2 background, Pertwee absolutely looks in his element.

I love the Pertwee era. Even though UNIT doesn't appear in it, The Sea Devils is my favourite. With his Navy WW2 background, Pertwee absolutely looks in his element.
    fee174ca8ac368554ba994cac5c79eb4.gif
    The Sea Devils is great i am almost tempted to skip forward to the story though going to work through all of them in order.

Pertwee's second season is probably my favorite overall because of the Master being omnipresent, no one beats Delgado IMO.

fee174ca8ac368554ba994cac5c79eb4.gif
    The Sea Devils is great i am almost tempted to skip forward to the story though going to work through all of them in order.

Pertwee's second season is probably my favorite overall because of the Master being omnipresent, no one beats Delgado IMO.

I like Ainley, but agree with you that Delgado is the best. He could be both thoroughly suave and villainous at the same time.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Here's the Goblin King (maybe?) from the Christmas Day episode:

GANew7PWMAArSyl?format=jpg&name=small
    edited December 2023 Posts: 23,457
    Wild Blue Yonder that was pretty good for the most part and genuinely unnerving at times, there were a few pieces of dialogue that I did not fully pick up on so will have to watch again. Very big smile near the end of the episode.

I actually want this mini era to continue, 3 episodes does not seem enough. I am only just getting used to seeing Donna and Tenants Doctor again and it will seem to fleeting when it abruptly ends.
    NEXT TIME | The Giggle | Doctor Who
    edited December 2023 Posts: 13,894
    On the whole, I enjoyed that much more than last week. And as much as I might not rate the Tennent era, I couldn't supress a smile at the end there.

And next week looks even better. I wonder if it could lead to more classic era villains being dusted off. The Meddling Monk perhaps?
    On the whole, I enjoyed that much more than last week. As much as I might not rate the Tennent era, I couldn't supress a smile at the end there.

And next week looks even better. I wonder if it could lead to more classic era villains being dusted off. The Meddling Monk perhaps?

That was a great moment at the end.

I did fully not catch all of the dialogue though I am sure the Flux was mentioned?

I did roll my eyes a few times though not as bad as last week.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 13,894
    On the whole, I enjoyed that much more than last week. As much as I might not rate the Tennent era, I couldn't supress a smile at the end there.

I did fully not catch all of the dialogue though I am sure the Flux was mentioned?

Yes, Flux was mentioned. I can't say much for that, as I had already dropped out by the time of Flux.

I was a little confused about the mentioning of the air lock. How did the real Doctor and Donna know about it. Did I miss something, or did that plot point just come out of nowhere?

Yes, Flux was mentioned. I can't say much for that, as I had already dropped out by the time of Flux.

I was a little confused about the mentioning of the air lock. How did the real Doctor and Donna know about it. Did I miss something, or did that plot point just come out of nowhere?

Because the dialogue was so frantic at times I did not pick up on a few things, I almost pressed rewind.

I think this episode has rewatchability it did have Event Horizon vibes, this was more like something I would expect from Steven Moffat.

it would be great to see some of the black and white era villains, there are some great cerebral adversaries.
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 5,827
    Not as unnerving as "midnight", but at times pretty creepy, with some great moments of body horror. And yes, I smiled at the end of the episode, and shed a little tear at the end of the end titles.

As for the airlock, the Doctor saw it on the screen of the ship and mentioned it to Donna.

One of my favourite moment was the Doctor using the Tardis as a scooter. Had a chuckle at that.
    Be careful when reading up on next weeks episode, details of the 14th Doctors regeneration have leaked.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 23,457
    Be careful when reading up on next weeks episode, details of the 14th Doctors regeneration have leaked.

Thanks for the heads up, I will avoid at all costs.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It'll be interesting to see the 7 day figures, as that is where people try to defend the falling (live) figures.

4.83m overnight live figures for ep2: very strong and almost no fall at all, so no defending required.
    mtm wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see the 7 day figures, as that is where people try to defend the falling (live) figures.

4.83m overnight live figures for ep2: very strong and almost no fall at all, so no defending required.

Down from last week, but the 7 day figures from last week don't appear to have been released yet. Given that these specials are riding on good will with the return of Tennant and RTD, 5M is low. The return of those two, would ideally pull more people in as an event, rather than "eh, i'll watch it in a few days".
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2023 Posts: 15,012

Down from last week, but the 7 day figures from last week don't appear to have been released yet. Given that these specials are riding on good will with the return of Tennant and RTD, 5M is low. The return of those two, would ideally pull more people in as an event, rather than "eh, i'll watch it in a few days".

Episode 2 of everything gets a lower figure than ep1, but as this is barely lower than last week's this is a very strong performance indeed.
    5m only seems low to anyone who doesn't follow what TV ratings are doing right now. Whittaker's first episode was half a decade ago, viewership habits have changed a lot since then. 7 day figures should be out tomorrow after about 1pm.
    I'm curious why you're so keen to read it as a disappointment?

Episode 2 of everything gets a lower figure than ep1, but as this is barely lower than last week's this is a very strong performance indeed.
    5m only seems low to anyone who doesn't follow what TV ratings are doing right now. Whittaker's first episode was half a decade ago, viewership habits have changed a lot since then. 7 day figures should be out tomorrow after about 1pm.

I'm not 'keen to read it as a disappointment'. 5M and under, feels low, all things considered, that's all.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I'm not 'keen to read it as a disappointment'. 5M and under, feels low, all things considered, that's all.

It's not really considering all things though: for a drama nowadays that's a high rating. There's occasional really exceptional once-in-a-blue-moon things like Vigil or Bodyguard or stuff like that, but as I said at the time, that was coming in as the 6th most watched programme in the entire country that week (likely to shunted down by further Strictly/Celeb instalments). The 7 day figure is looking like it could be around 9m... I'm not seeing the problem.
    It may 'feel' low, but if you look into it it's really not. If it makes a total of 9m or thereabouts that could put it around 3rd or 4th that week (although I'm a Celeb has so many episodes a week that could push it down the list a fair bit) but would put it above Planet Earth, Bake Off, and all of the soaps. I guess it depends what you're expecting of a 17 year old show.
    Have to say the second special was a vast improvement on the first.
    The show seems broken to me. I could have sworn a new regeneration of the Doctor changed his personality and alpp
    They changed the cameo at the end of Adventures in Space and Time. .
    ncuti-gatwa-doctor-who-1014x570.jpg
    I thought the Matt Smith cameo was brilliant and quite emotional.

Unless I'm losing my mind.... that's not William Hartnell in that YouTube clip! It's actor David Bradley. When the people running the Doctor Who YT channel can't be bothered to get it right and post an inaccurate video title, oh boy.

[-(
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He's playing the character of William Hartnell, hence it is 'William Hartnell seeing the Fifteenth Doctor', in much the same way that they title clips using character names such as 'the Doctor' and 'Donna' etc. when it's a clip from the show.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I watched both specials back to back this evening - I wish I didn't have to work on Saturdays these days - but I enjoyed both of them immensely. The writing of the first was heavy-handed at times but it's so good to see Tennant and Tate again. I also enjoyed how certain little details from Whittaker's Doctor are creeping in to the second Tennant portrayal. Considering the mystery about why Tennant's appearance has returned, it's nice to have those little moments of confusion and he plays them really well.

The second special was great fun.