'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    ....... well the new Tardis looks nice. It manages to straddle the line between old skool and new.

Not keen on the episode?

Not being a Tennant era fan, the reunion didn't have the same impact for me.
    Did they explain what the explosion was? It couldn't have been the ship, if it landed rather than crashed. Did I miss something there?

Yeah good point I will have to watch that scene again with the ship. Tenant for me had some good stories for the most part, I think Smith is better. I have been thinking after tonight's episode Tenant may be a better actor now and fits the Doctor now he is older.

And on the whole, if someone told me that it had been written by Chibnall, then I would believe then. The 2nd era of RTD isn't off to a reassuring start, imo.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2023 Posts: 23,450
    I did groan a few times with some of the preaching.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/jGb9Iu5wX7U?feature=shared
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I did groan a few times with some of the preaching.

There were times when it felt worse than Chibnal.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    https://youtube.com/shorts/jGb9Iu5wX7U?feature=shared

Not sure why this link is only text, cool moment.
    It is an awesome look. I saw what were rumoured to be leaked pics of the new set, a few months ago, but there never was a confirmation at the time. It's vast and airy like the modern sets, but with a look harking back the 1963-89 style(s).
    It is an awesome look. I saw what were rumoured to be leaked pics of the new set, a few months ago, but there never was a confirmation at the time. It's vast and airy like the modern sets, but with a look harking back the 1963-89 style(s).

I probably would have gone for a run like Tenant did.
    The best era for Tardis though I did like Smiths second Tardis.

Mine is the McCoy/MacGann Tardis of the film. I am in love with that one. Candle lit, steampunk, oh my lawd.

Mine is the McCoy/MacGann Tardis of the film. I am in love with that one. Candle lit, steampunk, oh my lawd.

That is a good one, if there is a Macgann Doctor spinoff series I wonder if they would make the Tardis close to that, saying that the Steam punk Tardis is technically McCoy's. I can't remember if we saw the control room interior of the Tardis in Night of the Doctor.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Just fun: funny (actually funny) exciting, a good big dramatic plot, properly charming, and actually touching at the end. Just such a massive leap up from the last few years it’s amazing. I have nothing against Whittaker but it’s hard to imagine her handling that episode half as well as Tennant: he’s just great. It’s so good to have DW back after a gap of five long years.
    I am glad Meep was evil because when Meep was pretending to be good Meep was very irritating, I was hoping Meep would be shot in the cross fire.

I wonder who the BOSS is? Unless it's just the Celestial Toymaker.

What do people think of the sonics new abilities, I kind of liked them, it seems long over due that the sonic can do more hi tech things.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I loved it actually- I really liked the pace of him slowly drawing those shields in the air, and the holo touch screen made sense. It made him seem kind of like a space Harry Potter, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. He’s supposed to be a hero to kids, he should do cool heroic things.

That is a good one, if there is a Macgann Doctor spinoff series I wonder if they would make the Tardis close to that, saying that the Steam punk Tardis is technically McCoy's. I can't remember if we saw the control room interior of the Tardis in Night of the Doctor.

I guess it is more a McCoy Tardis as he is already travelling in it. And the Doctor overhauls the Tardis into that steampunk look, in the 7th Doctor audio Excelis Decays.

As for the Sonic Screwdriver, there's a reason that JNT took it away in the 80's.

I guess it is more a McCoy Tardis as he is already travelling in it. And the Doctor overhauls the Tardis into that steampunk look, in the 7th Doctor audio Excelis Decays.

As for the Sonic Screwdriver, there's a reason that JNT took it away in the 80's.

I like the sonic though I get the argument that you don't want the Doctor to be over reliant on it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2023 Posts: 15,007
    There’s a balance, but losing it is a bit like taking away Bond’s PPK or Indy’s whip- it’s his thing. It should be embraced.
    Indy fans gripe that he doesn’t use his whip enough in a film and DW fans complain of too much sonic- you really can’t please fans.
    Has anyone noticed there was a callback to the Tom Baker era ? Indeed, it seems the Doctor
    has kept the barrister's whig he used in "The Stones of Blood"
    . Nice touch, I think.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed there was a callback to the Tom Baker era ? Indeed, it seems the Doctor
    has kept the barrister's whig he used in "The Stones of Blood"
    . Nice touch, I think.

Great touch, I loved that scene Tenant was brilliant.
    Well the overnight audience for the first special is not great, just over 5 million viewers the Tenant and RTD return seemingly has not worked in bringing back viewers who left the show during the Jodie era.

https://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/uk-doctor-who-ratings-2023-accumulator-99482.htm

With BBCi there of course will be an increase, but still its not good at all.
    It'll be interesting to see the 7 day figures, as that is where people try to defend the falling (live) figures.
    It'll be interesting to see the 7 day figures, as that is where people try to defend the falling (live) figures.

I have watched reviews and many are using the same word 'divisive' a lot of old skool DW fans say they are done with the show.

Considering Jodie got 10 million for her first episode these initial numbers are terrible. It will be interesting to see (if we get access) how it fairs on Disney+ overseas.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well the overnight audience for the first special is not great, just over 5 million viewers the Tenant and RTD return seemingly has not worked in bringing back viewers who left the show during the Jodie era.

https://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/uk-doctor-who-ratings-2023-accumulator-99482.htm

With BBCi there of course will be an increase, but still its not good at all.

Um, no- that's about 2m more than Whittaker's last episode got on overnights. It's rated 6th most watched programme this week (out of all of the channels), probably finishing 8th or 9th after another I'm a Celeb/Strictly and Planet Earth. Timeshifting could add up to 2m to that figure. That's a really good result and a notable improvement from Whittaker's run: not a failure at all. The audience share was 36.5% - the biggest since Whittaker's debut.

Shows getting 10m is very rare now. When Rose was broadcast it got 11m and was the 7th most watched programme that week. If DW got 11m viewers this weekend, it would have been the 3rd most watched programme this year, behind the Coronation and Happy Valley finale.
    Wild Blue Yonder clips have me speculating as to whether the Tardis has landed inside a Tardis.

I am trying to remember how many times the Tardis has landed inside it self or in another Tardis or when other Tardis's have landed in the Tardis.

Space and Time Extended

This is fun.

I just checked the case list for upcoming specials very interesting.

I have watched reviews and many are using the same word 'divisive' a lot of old skool DW fans say they are done with the show.

Considering Jodie got 10 million for her first episode these initial numbers are terrible. It will be interesting to see (if we get access) how it fairs on Disney+ overseas.

Do Disney release the figures for their shows?
    Wild Blue Yonder clips have me speculating as to whether the Tardis has landed inside a Tardis.

I am trying to remember how many times the Tardis has landed inside it self or in another Tardis or when other Tardis's have landed in the Tardis.

Space and Time Extended

This is fun.

I think it happened towards the end of the Tom Baker years. Did it happen right at the end in Logopolis? :-?

Do Disney release the figures for their shows?

Space and Time Extended

This is fun.

I think it happened towards the end of the Tom Baker years. Did it happen right at the end in Logopolis? :-?
    Not sure if Disney release viewing figures, they probably don't when they are low. I got an email an hour ago that Disney+ are increasing prices again so I will be unsubscribing.

Yeah I saw a image of Adric with the Tardis in the Tardis. I vaguely remember the Masters Tardis land in the Tardis, I am trying to remember which era.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's Logopolis.
    They changed the cameo at the end of Adventures in Space and Time. .
    ncuti-gatwa-doctor-who-1014x570.jpg
    I thought the Matt Smith cameo was brilliant and quite emotional.

They also changed some lines of dialogue (taken from "An Unearthly Child"), probably because of that situation with the rights of the story. Doesn't bother me, I have the original on DVD.
    It would not surprise me if they updated the cameo again for the 70th anniversary.
    I don't have an opinion on that to be honest. It isn't like RTD is leading an army of his twitter followers to come and steal my Series 5 boxset. I saw the original version when it was broadcast, so I know it was originally Smith. So, yeah, shrug is about all I can do.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I haven't seen anyone say that. It's certainly not a majority issue and I can't imagine what they'd be surprised about considering that it was very much in the mold of the previous RTD stories from 13 years ago.

As well as the 36% audience share (highest since Woman Who Fell To Earth) it's also looking like it had an audience appreciation index score of 84, the highest since Capaldi's finale and a massive improvement on the plunging AIs for Whittaker's series. Not even close to being terrible- that's a very curious take on it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    More on those terrible ratings, Jane Tranter says here that they got 5m overnight and added 2m the next day, and 1m each day after that, so I'd imagine the 7 day ratings could be higher than 9m. 'Terrible'!