'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

If that's the case, then it would be an excellent opportunity to bring back Mel. After all, Bonnie Langford is a star in the West End (I know, I saw her twice there).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mel is already coming back.

210622_AH_202_WEB-4fe1ff7dfb.jpg
    I know. But wouldn't it be great if the episode in which she came back was the same episode Shirley Ballas stars in ?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2023 Posts: 23,450
    Doctor Who: The Star Beast first look review – the first 60th anniversary special is a 'whimsical' affair

Potential spoilers...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/culture/article/20231120-doctor-who-the-star-beast-the-first-60th-anniversary-special-is-a-whimsical-affair
    '... And although the show has always been progressive – look at the number of stories over the decades about, for example, threats to the environment – this special is preachy, and by the end, little more than a delivery system for The Message...'
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.wallpapersafari.com%2F94%2F13%2FOfYipT.png&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=875a759446b6f4a101d47829a67d2618d257400d61eac90363589515bf0be2a1&ipo=images
    Happy 60th Doctor Who <:-P
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.geekgirlauthority.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F04%2FFirst-Doctor-pic-3.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=d5254f5c50fe19beb8d20d82b7e7098de5b2018fe46af2404ccaf1f55277d074&ipo=images
    And tonight, on BBC 4, two treats : First, at 19.30, a colourised and shortened version of "The Daleks", followed, at 20.45, by the TV movie An Adventure in Space and Time, which tells the story of Doctor Who's beginning, with David Bradley as William Hartnell.
    Gerard wrote: »
    And tonight, on BBC 4, two treats : First, at 19.30, a colourised and shortened version of "The Daleks", followed, at 20.45, by the TV movie An Adventure in Space and Time, which tells the story of Doctor Who's beginning, with David Bradley as William Hartnell.

I will have to record The Daleks.
    Perry is on BBC Breakfast now, Nicola Bryant still looks great. Frazer Hines was on GBNews earlier.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Happy anniversary Doctor Who.

nemesis.jpg
    The Adventure of a Lifetime

Chills, there is so much greatness spanning the 60 years.

nemesis.jpg

I often forget Silver Nemesis was the 25th anniversary special despite having silver in the title lol
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

nemesis.jpg

I often forget Silver Nemesis was the 25th anniversary special despite having silver in the title lol

I don't mind Silver Nemesis, but I think they should have switched it and Remembrance Of The Daleks around. Open up Series 25 with Silver Nemesis, and save Remembrance Of The Daleks for the actual anniversary date.

nemesis.jpg

I don't mind Silver Nemesis, but I think they should have switched it and Remembrance Of The Daleks around. Open up Series 25 with Silver Nemesis, and save Remembrance Of The Daleks for the actual anniversary date.

Remembrance Of The Daleks is one of my favorite of that era, I love the reveal and confrontation at the end. McCoy is quite menacing and really illustrates how the Doctor is not to be messed with, great dialogue.
    Ace was not to be messed with either. Especially if she had a baseball bat ;) And yes, I agree, it's one of the best episodes of the McCoy era.

Now , here are the jackets for the steelbook and Blu-Ray/DVD of the 60th anniversary specials :

60th-steel-1.jpg

60th-blue.jpg

And I just watched the colourized version of "The Daleks". To be fair, I liked the movie better.
    Ace was not to be messed with either. Especially if she had a baseball bat ;) And yes, I agree, it's one of the best episodes of the McCoy era.

Now , here are the jackets for the steelbook and Blu-Ray/DVD of the 60th anniversary specials :

60th-steel-1.jpg

60th-blue.jpg

And I just watched the colourized version of "The Daleks". To be fair, I liked the movie better.

Only watched the first few minutes of The Daleks as busy tonight though i like what they have done it looks surreal and other worldly, i was happy to see the transition from black and white to colour for a comparison.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 13,894

nemesis.jpg

Remembrance Of The Daleks is one of my favorite of that era, I love the reveal and confrontation at the end. McCoy is quite menacing and really illustrates how the Doctor is not to be messed with, great dialogue.

Remembrance is my 2nd favourite McCoy era story, 2nd only to Fenric. It's the first proper 7th Doctor story, peppered with little mysterious suggestions about the Doctor.

*When talking about Omega, Rasilon and the Hand Of Omega*
    Doctor: Oh and didn't we have problems with the prototype.
    Ace: We?
    Doctor: They *sly look sideways*.

And one of the best cliff-hangers. The McCoy era as one of the best and worst cliff-hangers.

I watched some of that too, and I have to be that guy, but I don't like watching 60's Who in colour. On the dvd's where they provide coloured animation, I always watch the b/w version.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Only watched the first few minutes of The Daleks as busy tonight though i like what they have done it looks surreal and other worldly, i was happy to see the transition from black and white to colour for a comparison.

I though the colour was superb and it starts really well, but about a half hour in it starts to become unintelligible and the music is appalling. I would be up for more as I thought what did work here really works, but they need to change editor and composer.
    mtm wrote: »

I though the colour was superb and it starts really well, but about a half hour in it starts to become unintelligible and the music is appalling. I would be up for more as I thought what did work here really works, but they need to change editor and composer.

Hopefully I will have time to watch it on Friday night, it will be interesting to see how it's been reworked. It has been a while since I watched the serial of The Daleks I may have to remind myself of the original episodes.
    You are not kidding about the music for The Daleks, very jarring and unnecessary.,
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,869
    They posted a clip yesterday from tomorrow's episode if people are interested. I've put it in spoiler tags in case people want to remain in the dark about anything.
    I wish I had been in Cardiff that day :

The Star Beast Well for the most part that was good to great mainly because of Tenant and Tate, Tenant is one of the best Doctors and was excellent in this. The villain was brilliantly bonkers.

The new Tardis interior was impressive far better that Jodie's.
    Yes, she redecorated, and I like it as well. All around a great romp, with many call-backs to earlier episodes (loved the "Great Mistress of all Knowledge" line, got a chuckle out of me). And yes, ,the duo Tennant-Tate is still one of my all time favourite pairings of the whole saga (with Pertwee -Manning and Baker-Sladen). The Doctor is back, and I couldn't be happier. Bring on next week !
    NEXT TIME | Wild Blue Yonder | Doctor Who
    ....... well the new Tardis looks nice. It manages to straddle the line between old skool and new.
    ....... well the new Tardis looks nice. It manages to straddle the line between old skool and new.

Not keen on the episode?
    edited November 2023 Posts: 13,894

Not keen on the episode?

Not being a Tennant era fan, the reunion didn't have the same impact for me.
    Did they explain what the explosion was? It couldn't have been the ship, if it landed rather than crashed. Did I miss something there?

Not keen on the episode?

Not being a Tennant era fan, the reunion didn't have the same impact for me.
    Did they explain what the explosion was? It couldn't have been the ship, if it landed rather than crashed. Did I miss something there?

Yeah good point I will have to watch that scene again with the ship. Tenant for me had some good stories for the most part, I think Smith is better. I have been thinking after tonight's episode Tenant may be a better actor now and fits the Doctor now he is older.
    I think I have fallen for the nostalgia bate, the true test is when the 15th era Doctor starts.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,869
    I have to be honest, I definitely enjoyed it but there were some moments that made me pause and question my enjoyment, and don't feel it was as strong as maybe I think it could've been. I felt that the story was let down a little by the amount of things it had to do. I almost feel it should've been longer.
    I kinda hate that I'm saying this because up until a certain point, I was applauding how they handled Rose and the approach to her being transgender, but then when they started making jokes about pronouns and then the eventual "non-binary" line, I felt it made it all rather cheap and how it was used in the context of Donna's metacrisis, I didn't really understand what they were trying to say, especially with how huge a plot point that was at the end of Series 4 and the New Year specials, but anyway, before that with how Rose felt as a character and how her family responded and acted was all done really well.