'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Oooo I like it :)
    mtm wrote: »

As we say in France : Ça a de la pêche !
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 5,808
    And here are the three new themes : the new title tune, the Fifteenth Doctor theme (named "Fifteen") and the Companion's theme (named "The Life of Sunday")

Murray Gold hasn't lost his touch.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The new theme arrangement sounds a little overcrowded. :-? Maybe it will be toned down a little for the sequence. And I had to listen to it a few times, I am sure that I can detect some of the 1996 theme buried in there.

So presumably, the new theme will be used for the next two Doctors....?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The themes sound pretty good, obviously will work better in scene.

I am glad Gold is back, the music during Jodie's era was too low key for the most part my liking.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I think it actually damaged it a lot of the time: loads of episodes just had a sort of low key constant beat throughout, with no peaks or troughs, and it just made everything feel the same. It was kind of anti-drama.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2023 Posts: 14,957
    Gerard wrote: »
    And here are the three new themes : the new title tune, the Fifteenth Doctor theme (named "Fifteen") and the Companion's theme (named "The Life of Sunday")

I've been listening to the whole concert (which is here on BBC Sounds ) and I must admit I can't stop listening to Fifteen. It's absolutely superb; can't wait to see him running around with his kilt flapping behind him to that!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Gerard wrote: »

I've been listening to the whole concert (which is here on BBC Sounds ) and I must admit I can't stop listening to Fifteen. It's absolutely superb; can't wait to see him running around with his kilt flapping behind him to that!

Fifteen is the standout from the YouTube melody above, it did remind me of the 11th's theme a little though that's the point as they are all the same person with variations on a theme.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah it's absolutely hitting the same format as the 11th Doc's theme with the big heroic repeated, rhythmic statement towards the end; but when it works why mess with it! :)
    All of the modern Doctors have had pretty great personal themes I think- even Jodie's was actually good despite Akinola being a bit under par generally I think.

I wonder if the 14th Doctor will have a theme or whether he'll share the Tenth's.
    Yeah it's absolutely hitting the same format as the 11th Doc's theme with the big heroic repeated, rhythmic statement towards the end; but when it works why mess with it! :)
    All of the modern Doctors have had pretty great personal themes I think- even Jodie's was actually good despite Akinola being a bit under par generally I think.

I wonder if the 14th Doctor will have a theme or whether he'll share the Tenth's.

I think 14th's theme could very much depend on what the 14th actually is or how he came into being.

I have read he is a different Doctor etc like we all have though clearly the 10th is there in the 14th, I would not be surprised if the 14th has the 10th theme though slightly off kilter.

My guess is and probably an obvious guess is the 14th is there because the 10th had something unresolved.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Just for fun, I've tried adding the Radiophonic Workshop/BBC National Orchestra of Wales version of 'It's The End...' from the recent DW@ 60 Concert to the original scene. I think the hint of orchestra adds a bit of depth and epic quality to it- what do you reckon?

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Although if you actually read it: "None of those is the date of the Specials' transmission," he confirmed.

Nov 1st is the date all of the classic series is going on iPlayer, so presumably that's why he mentions that date.
    Ouate de phoque ?!?!

The BBC has recently announced that they would be putting all the back catalogue of Classic Who on iPlayer. All, except for the very first story, "An Unearthly Child" (also known as 100 000 BC"). Apparently, they don't have the rights to the story. I didn't really understand the situati_on, which seems as complicated as the Kevin McClory/TB/NSNA one, but if you want more details :

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-an-unearthly-child-iplayer-newsupdate/
  • Gerard wrote: »
    Ouate de phoque ?!?!

The BBC has recently announced that they would be putting all the back catalogue of Classic Who on iPlayer. All, except for the very first story, "An Unearthly Child" (also known as 100 000 BC"). Apparently, they don't have the rights to the story. I didn't really understand the situati_on, which seems as complicated as the Kevin McClory/TB/NSNA one, but if you want more details :

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-an-unearthly-child-iplayer-newsupdate/

The writer of an episode (or their estate) has the right to approve or disapprove of any 'new' way of releasing said episode.

In this case, the BBC has, over the years, negotiated with the various owners of the estate the rights to release the serial on VHS, DVD, Blu-ray and so on.

However, since 2013, the estate has been in the hands of Stef Corburn, a racist whacko who seems to genuinely think the BBC murdered his father and may kill him next.

So the negotiations for releasing the episodes onto iPlayer have hit a bit of a snag.
    All of the times that I have criticised the PaedBC, am I now going to get whacked?

5LLVg-.gif
    I watched a YouTube video a few days ago that extensively looked into the situation with An Unearthly Child, wow some of the stuff is crazy.
    I have been watching random stories lately, and the last one was And The Silurians. It's an alright story, but I prefer The Sea Devils. Say what you want about the budget of classic Who, but I do like the design of the Sea Devils. It's a shame that they have not been used more over the years.
    Indeed : Three or four appearances I believe.

Now, Here are some news you might find interesting : On November the 1st, BBC 4 will air, first a documentary hosted by David Tennant, Talking Doctor Who, and then, the Doctor Who @ 60 : A Musical Celebration concert. Radio Times says that the concert will air at 20.30 GMT, which means that the documentary will air at 19.30.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-musical-bbc-four-newsupdate/
    I have been watching random stories lately, and the last one was And The Silurians. It's an alright story, but I prefer The Sea Devils. Say what you want about the budget of classic Who, but I do like the design of the Sea Devils. It's a shame that they have not been used more over the years.

The Jodie episode with the Sea devils was appalling did you watch it?

Legend of the Sea Devils is one of the lowest rating episodes on IMDb from New Nho they totally wasted the monsters.

The Jodie episode with the Sea devils was appalling did you watch it?

Legend of the Sea Devils is one of the lowest rating episodes on IMDb from New Nho they totally wasted the monsters.

No, I had tuned out by that time (during her first series, tbh). My interest was already on the wane during the Capaldi era, a good Doctor, hamstrung by declining quality in stories. Jodie was a poor Doctor, with (going off what I saw) poor stories. I only dipped back into her era at the very end.

So that's only 3 stories to feature them.
    The Sea Devils (1973)
    Warriors Of The Deep (1984)
    Legend Of The Sea Devils (2022)

Way too few stories.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Kate Herron, the producer/director of S1 of Loki, has co-written an episode for Gatwa's first series, which is positive news.
    Gatwa's second series has begun filming. There's confidence, and then there is filming the 15th Doctors 2nd series, before the 14th Doctors specials have even been seen.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-missing-stories-animated-hartnell-newsupdate/

I don't think there is any doubt that fans want more. They were prepared to not release The Underwater Menace on DVD (the original release), until that petition was put together. I am hoping for The Wheel In Space, sooner rather than later.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think the smart money would be on a missing story which ties into the new ones coming to TV.
    The Daleks are a given, so I guess The Daleks Master Plan is a possibility.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    As far as we know the Daleks aren't in the upcoming specials, no.
    As far as we know the Daleks aren't in the upcoming specials, no.

I thought you mean the new series. I suppose it would be The Celestial Toymaker then.
    The air dates for the three specials have been announced and confirmed :

"The Star Beast" : Saturday November 25th

"Wild Blue Yonder" : Saturday December 2nd

"The Giggle" : Saturday December 9th

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-60th-dates-confirmed-newsupdate/
    I am happy with those dates, for some reason I thought the episodes would have bigger gaps between them.

Also good to see DW is back on a Saturday night, Sundays are a no no for me.