'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Gerard wrote: »
    The first four seasons of the new series will receive the Blu-Ray treatment as part of a boxset which will also contain the 2013 Specials.

https://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctor-who-series-1-4-blu-ray-newly-upscaled-versions/

If the boxsets are as good as the DVD counterparts I will buy them.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

The maddest man man in a box, turns 80 over the weekend!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2023 Posts: 23,369
    The Doctor's Companions: First Moments | Doctor Who

The Bill Potts first moment I find highly amusing that the Tardis is just there in the corner of the Doctor's office.
    Whooverville 14 - My Day At The DOCTOR WHO Convention in Derby

This maybe worth checking out next year, first time i have heard of this particular convention.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2023 Posts: 13,894
    Called into a local charity shop to see if they had an Bond books. Didn't see any Bond, but there were a load of Doctor Who books. Some (Target?) novelisations, some of the BBC books.... but, BUT, there were a number of 7th Doctor 'New Adventures' books. I grabbed 6, knowing how hard to come by/highly sought after some of them are. The 6 I got:

The Left-Handed Hummingbird
    Strange England
    Tragedy Day
    Original Sin
    Head Games
    All-Consuming Fire

£33 for the 6. All in read but otherwise pretty good condition. I already have The Dimension Riders to add these 6 to.
    Called into a local charity shop to see if they had an Bond books. Didn't see any Bond, but there were a load of Doctor Who books. Some (Target?) novelisations, some of the BBC books.... but, BUT, there were a number of 7th Doctor 'New Adventures' books. I grabbed 6, knowing how hard to come by/highly sought after some of them are. The 6 I got:

Strange England
    Tragedy Day
    Original Sin
    Head Games
    All-Consuming Fire

£33 for the 6. All in read but otherwise pretty good condition. I already have The Dimension Riders to add these 6 to.

I often buy from charity shops and have made some great find's over the years.

I am no expert on DW novelizations though sometimes you just have to buy a item/collection whether it be for personal enjoyment or something that is potentially a collectable item.

As you are a big Seventh DW fan nice find.

Strange England
    Tragedy Day
    Original Sin
    Head Games
    All-Consuming Fire

I am no expert on DW novelizations though sometimes you just have to buy a item/collection whether it be for personal enjoyment or something that is potentially a collectable item.

It was definitely a pleasant surprise. I was in there a few months back, and there was a New Adventures book on the shelf (I don't remember which one). I couldn't get it at the time, and could have kicked myself for not asking them to put it to one side, because when I went back, it had gone. My patience paid off.

Strange England
    Tragedy Day
    Original Sin
    Head Games
    All-Consuming Fire

It was definitely a pleasant surprise. I was in there a few months back, and there was a New Adventures book on the shelf (I don't remember which one). I couldn't get it at the time, and could have kicked myself for not asking them to put it to one side, because when I went back, it had gone. My patience paid off.

Because of digital books/films/music its ridiculous how much great physical media has been donated to charity shops recently certainly where I am, though you have to be quick as there are some switched on people like ourselves that will buy immediately.

I went through a digital media/streaming phase though done a total 180 recently, in fact I am listening to CD's on a Hifi separates I rigged up with old wired speakers (I bought yet another new amplifier today), my smart speaker/streaming music speakers barely get a look in these days. The old way's are best.

Strange England
    Tragedy Day
    Original Sin
    Head Games
    All-Consuming Fire

Because of digital books/films/music its ridiculous how much great physical media has been donated to charity shops recently certainly where I am, though you have to be quick as there are some switched on people like ourselves that will buy immediately.

I went through a digital media/streaming phase though done a total 180 recently, in fact I am listening to CD's on a Hifi separates I rigged up with old wired speakers (I bought yet another new amplifier today), my smart speaker/streaming music speakers barely get a look in these days. The old way's are best.

I never got into digital media, with the exception of dlc. I can see the advantage when it comes to storage, but I wouldn't feel like I own it, plus whatever it is, won't become a collectors item.

Strange England
    Tragedy Day
    Original Sin
    Head Games
    All-Consuming Fire

I never got into digital media, with the exception of dlc. I can see the advantage when it comes to storage, but I wouldn't feel like I own it, plus whatever it is, won't become a collectors item.

I kept hold of most of my physical media thankfully, I did buy digital and a lot of it initially then the novelty wore of, like you say its not tangible and when the wifi goes off its not accessible. I downloaded all the Bond films to my PC though ended up deleting them as needed the space for games.

I still buy digital music and download it to my PC, I have bought some DW content on Audible I can't remember last time i used that app.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I just bought the new Season 20 box set and it doesn't play right on my setup, stuttering motion. I kind of wish I'd stuck with Britbox! :)
    mtm wrote: »
    I just bought the new Season 20 box set and it doesn't play right on my setup, stuttering motion. I kind of wish I'd stuck with Britbox! :)

Do you use HDMI pass through on your sound system? That causes me issues with certain disks.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I do, but the previous Who collection boxsets are fine.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I knew that the first dig I did as a professional archaeologist was going to be ok when the site supervisor got the novelisation of the Ark in Space out of his rucksack and started reading it in the dinner break! That's the kind of gaffer you want.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Very good new trailer:

Very good new trailer:

I was just about to post, looks good.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Nice new picture too.

F6ugFa5XkAA8Ez4?format=webp&name=small

And Neil Patrick Harris is confirmed to be playing the Toymaker.
    After the dour and underwhelming Jodie era its good to see something that could be potentially great, I watched the trailer several times.

They have certainly spent some money and Catherine Tate has not missed a step with her line delivery, I laughed a few times.
    I had to check image on my phone, my PC often won't show images probably my security software blocking it. The image looks like a Bluray boxset cover for sure.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    After the dour and underwhelming Jodie era its good to see something that could be potentially great, I watched the trailer several times.

Yes it's looking very impressive. I have no doubt at all that it will be better than the last few years; I'm so glad Chibnall is gone.

Yes it's looking very impressive. I have no doubt at all that it will be better than the last few years; I'm so glad Chibnall is gone.

Agreed RTD is a far better writer by some distance and is brilliant at characterization/world building/long story arcs.
    edited September 2023 Posts: 13,894
    That was very cinematic, but I didn't get an 'anniversary' feel from that trailer. And the connection to the 10th Doctor & Donna, is lost on me. I will watch them, but I am more anticipating what is coming next.
    I don't know if you noticed it, but...
    Doesn't the new UNIT HQ looks just like the MCUAvengers HQ ? You know, the Stark Tower ? So, we've already got a tribute to ET, and now a tribute to Marvel ?

Apart from that, I was blown away. But we're still getting no closer to an airing date. And that's important for me. Let me explain.

Will it be the first or the last episode that will air near november 22nd ? If it is the former, everything will be peachy on my end : I will be able to watch them all on Filmon. But if it is the later, there might be problems, given I will be on vacation at the beginning of november, and thus won't be able to watch the episodes live. And given the new deal with Disney +, I don't know if they will be available on iTunes the next day, like they were before (a question I still don't have the answer to, BTW). And if it's not the case, will there be repeats on BBC3 ? Inquiring minds want to know.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well don’t forget that UNIT used to have a flying aircraft carrier, just like SHIELD’s :)
    Or SPECTRUM.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Indeed!
    Doctor Who confirms return of spin-off show
    https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/reality-tv/a45342388/doctor-who-spin-off-unleashed/

I liked Doctor Who Confidential back in the day.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2023 Posts: 14,957