'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

1154155156157158160»

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    mtm wrote: »
    Folks did say that Twist And Shout would have been a potentially good choice, not just because of the Twist thing but because the Beatles didn't actually write that one, therefore they wouldn't have had to pay Apple Corps to use it. Not sure who owns it now though.

Beatles did some great covers in there early days, Twist and Shout being one of them... good call the vocals on that track are great.

Disney airing so much Beatles and McCartney material I would have thought that may have made things easier as DW is now on Disney.
    The whole situation with Doctor Who and licensing agreements for Beatles music is confusing to me. The classic series had three stories that used Beatles songs: The Chase, The Evil of the Daleks, and Remembrance of the Daleks, but in the case of Remembrance the most recent DVD release had the original Beatles songs ("Do You Want to Know a Secret" and "A Taste of Honey"), whereas with the first two the footage was cut or the audio replaced.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    The whole situation with Doctor Who and licensing agreements for Beatles music is confusing to me. The classic series had three stories that used Beatles songs: The Chase, The Evil of the Daleks, and Remembrance of the Daleks, but in the case of Remembrance the most recent DVD release had the original Beatles songs ("Do You Want to Know a Secret" and "A Taste of Honey"), whereas with the first two the footage was cut or the audio replaced.

Interesting i wonder if the songs are still in the episodes on the BBCiplayer.
    I don't know about the iPlayer, but I've heard that the Blu-ray/DVD of The Evil of the Daleks replaces "Paperback Writer" with "Hold Tight!" (by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich), a song used prominently in Tarantino's Death Proof.
  • edited May 20 Posts: 5,856
    And on the american DVD for "The Chase", they cut the Beatles singing "Ticket to Ride" (and thus Ian dancing to the song). But it's still there on the british DVD. Music rights are really a complicated thing. For example, there won't ever be a DVD set of the series Cold Case because of that.
    I will have a look on YouTube to see if anyone has discussed the change of music in Doctor Who, I am not sure if it was the rights expiring or the BBC just did not want to pay up anymore, not sure how it works in this instance.
    edited May 25 Posts: 23,682
    73 Yards was outstanding.

This will be regarded as a classic in years to come.
    Anita Dobson '...this has nothing to do with me'. That was so good.

The lack of exposition in this episode was exceptional, so much is left to the viewers imagination I loved it.

73 Yards is the best episode since Capaldi's brilliant final two episodes.
    I second that. Great episode all around. Of course, there are some points that would need a bit more explanation, like
    what made the people run away from the old lady
    , but I really, really liked that episode. 10/10 for me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I thought that was electric stuff. Just superb.

Folks everywhere will be complaining about the lack of explanations, but who cares. Kids all over the place will grow up remembering the one with the old lady you can't get near, just like they did with the giant maggots and the mummies squashing people, and those people can't remember the explanations for why those happened. It was a horror film, plain and simple- great stuff.

Oh, and it had an actual rape subplot. Where are all the folks claiming they can see Disney's influence now? :))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I would imagine they're out touching grass. ;))
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Not sure what that means.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    They have suggested that all those nasty bigots complaining about the show, go out and touch grass instead.
    To be fair, Disney has dabbled in horror before. Snow White gave my brother nightmares when he watched it. And let's not forget this :

The_Watcher_in_the_Woods%2C_film_poster.jpg

I read some of the casts comments, they are better off saying nothing if they want to be successful.

The last episode was great though the reboots numbers are not good.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 26 Posts: 15,229
    The ratings overnight significantly increased for this one, curiously.

The ratings are fine: I reckon they'll have been hoping for 5 or so million, after 7 days I think the first ones managed 4 or so and were right up the top of the 10 most watched shows of the week. Could have been better, but no disaster at all.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Another absolute stunner this week. I'm so glad DW is back after the last few years of doldrums.
    I did not expect it to go there either: brilliantly handled. And after that final scene Gatwa is 100% the Doctor for me now. I could see his old soul poking through.
    One tiny complaint: after two eps in a row where the Doctor isn't really there I'm ready for him to be centre stage again.
    RTD succeeded in writing one of the most appalling characters I have seen on TV for a long time, and I felt that very early into the episode.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, it was brilliantly done. I didn't spot quite where it was going, although there were loads of clues along the way. It was like a dark version of Lego Movie or Barbie where Barbie turns out to be evil :D
    Yes, I really didn't expect that twist. The episode started like a satire of mobile devices and social media, and took a turn for the really dark. But it's not the first time the Doctor has saved someone(s) who maybe didn't really deserve to be saved ("Voyage of the Damned", anyone ?). Anyway, just like "73 Yards", this episode will be talked about for a long time to come.
  • rock223rock223 Isenburg
    I agree, that twist completely caught me by surprise.
    The way Dot and Bubble ended and some of the other dialogue, I would not be surprised if we saw those ***** in the season finale Empire of Evil or there future generations.

As this is such a short season and there is not much more room for development of other villains I think there return is possible, Dot and Bubble Could act as a origin story and RTD likes to link his episodes together.

I am not liking the fantastical god like villains at all like the Maestro, I rather have a more grounded main antagonist.