IMPORTANT! Posting pictures on this forum

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

What happens when EON's lawyers ring up and say 'we're concerned that people saying that the 3rd act of SP falls apart a bit might affect box office so if it doesn't stop we'll withdraw our good connections'?
    I like the third act. The term 'falls apart' is applied to any Bond film I like...
    [-(
  • RC7RC7
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Dear all

Veteran members may recall that our forum used to try and steer clear of posting images which were directly taken from Bond related EON / MGM / UA / Sony property. This friendly request, issued by our admins and closely ‘policed’ by the mods, always ensured that our forum would stay out of trouble with the people behind the franchise we all love. As we’d remain on their good side, our main website – still the largest and most updated Bond related hot spot online – would furthermore continue to benefit from inside information, the latest news updates, high-profile interviews and a very positive attitude towards our wonderful MI6 Confidential magazine.

In recent times, however, we have more or less released our grip on this ‘rule’, mostly because we enjoy our members’ input and their often creative, informative and funny use of images taken from Bond films. Unfortunately, we must now bring this very permissive attitude to an end, which is never a pleasant thing to do so we hope you can all understand and respect our renewed terms concerning the use of Bond related images.

1) Please refrain from posting images, snapshots, stills… directly lifted from Bond films, DVD/BR/CD/book/game/… covers and so forth. You can, however, post links to those pics.

2) Please do not post the 007 logo if directly taken from the official EON / Danjac / … material, either available on the Internet or scanned from personal Bond related collections. Personal creations of the 007 logo aren’t a problem of course and neither are links to the 007 logo.

3) Please post links to YouTube or other media channels rather than the actual video itself. It’s a small effort and it saves post space.

4) Fan creations (fan-made posters, book covers, …) are of course allowed, even if they contain copyright material, because they will most likely be given enough of a personal touch to be perfectly acceptable. However, as a rule of thumb, bear it mind that the more the creation resembles the original material, the safer it is to simply post a link rather than the fan creation itself.

5) Selfies, photographs, … of Q&A’s, meetings with Bond celebs, your personal Bond collection, movie premieres, … aren’t a problem of course – in fact, please share them with us! – even if there’s official Bond material clearly visible in the background.

Friends, we don’t want to go hyper-strict on this thing; we merely politely ask not to blatantly post copyright material (from the world of Bond). Other film franchises can be drained at will. :D In the end, we’re doing this for the benefit of the website, the magazine and our beloved forum.

Thank you so much for your consideration.
    The Mod Team

So reading between the lines (given the flagrant disregard in your final paragraph for anyone other than EON's copyright) this 'the world's most visited unofficial 007 site' is anything but.

We can, apparently, infringe any other film company's copyright with gay abandon and that's not a problem but actually treated as a joke if @DarthDimi's smiley is anything to go by (so getting sued is clearly not the worry here) but a behemoth like EON are so petty that if a handful of people post a pic from a Bond film they will kick off??

You have to wonder just how 'unofficial' this site is then when EON just say 'jump' and the mods say 'how high'.

Trust me, they aren't messing.
    Did anyone from EON told you that we shouldn't post anything like this?

If yes it sucks.

But also...that means they might browse this forum so..USE OUR IDEAS!

I remember the first time we had to remove some pictures. Good times :D
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited January 2016 Posts: 9,117
    RC7 wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Dear all

Veteran members may recall that our forum used to try and steer clear of posting images which were directly taken from Bond related EON / MGM / UA / Sony property. This friendly request, issued by our admins and closely ‘policed’ by the mods, always ensured that our forum would stay out of trouble with the people behind the franchise we all love. As we’d remain on their good side, our main website – still the largest and most updated Bond related hot spot online – would furthermore continue to benefit from inside information, the latest news updates, high-profile interviews and a very positive attitude towards our wonderful MI6 Confidential magazine.

In recent times, however, we have more or less released our grip on this ‘rule’, mostly because we enjoy our members’ input and their often creative, informative and funny use of images taken from Bond films. Unfortunately, we must now bring this very permissive attitude to an end, which is never a pleasant thing to do so we hope you can all understand and respect our renewed terms concerning the use of Bond related images.

1) Please refrain from posting images, snapshots, stills… directly lifted from Bond films, DVD/BR/CD/book/game/… covers and so forth. You can, however, post links to those pics.

2) Please do not post the 007 logo if directly taken from the official EON / Danjac / … material, either available on the Internet or scanned from personal Bond related collections. Personal creations of the 007 logo aren’t a problem of course and neither are links to the 007 logo.

3) Please post links to YouTube or other media channels rather than the actual video itself. It’s a small effort and it saves post space.

4) Fan creations (fan-made posters, book covers, …) are of course allowed, even if they contain copyright material, because they will most likely be given enough of a personal touch to be perfectly acceptable. However, as a rule of thumb, bear it mind that the more the creation resembles the original material, the safer it is to simply post a link rather than the fan creation itself.

5) Selfies, photographs, … of Q&A’s, meetings with Bond celebs, your personal Bond collection, movie premieres, … aren’t a problem of course – in fact, please share them with us! – even if there’s official Bond material clearly visible in the background.

Friends, we don’t want to go hyper-strict on this thing; we merely politely ask not to blatantly post copyright material (from the world of Bond). Other film franchises can be drained at will. :D In the end, we’re doing this for the benefit of the website, the magazine and our beloved forum.

The Mod Team

So reading between the lines (given the flagrant disregard in your final paragraph for anyone other than EON's copyright) this 'the world's most visited unofficial 007 site' is anything but.

We can, apparently, infringe any other film company's copyright with gay abandon and that's not a problem but actually treated as a joke if @DarthDimi's smiley is anything to go by (so getting sued is clearly not the worry here) but a behemoth like EON are so petty that if a handful of people post a pic from a Bond film they will kick off??

You have to wonder just how 'unofficial' this site is then when EON just say 'jump' and the mods say 'how high'.

That sounds suspiciously like a threat to me old chap. Care to elaborate?
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Dear all

The Mod Team

That sounds suspiciously like a threat to me old chap. Care to elaborate?

I've no intention of disclosing anything on here, but I think we should all take on board what Dimi has said and move on.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 4,325
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Whoa, come on, fellas, don't shoot the messenger. I don't think our discussions will be any less enjoyable if we no longer post pics but links instead. Also, yes, avatars are preferably not directly taken from MGM/Eon material. Look, just add something to it or change a shade and I'm sure it can't do any harm.

I'm not a lawyer, I'm clueless as to how this stuff works and I don't mind admitting that. I never claimed to either. Our post wasn't meant to slam a fist on the table and make brutal demands. It is a simple and polite request, nothing more. And we pointed out that we're not going to be maniacal over this. This is not a "change that avatar or you're out" thing.

Thanks @DarthDimi this is a good reminder to everyone. I work in publishing and people really do need to respect copyright. Just because an image is there on the web and you are able to right click on it does not make it yours. I find it a bit ridiculous that people have seen this as Eon taking vengeance for people criticising certain aspects of the franchise, such as the script for Spectre.

Although I'm not sure about 'Other film franchises can be drained at will.' I think we should respect copyright for anything when thinking about what we do and don't publish on here.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I find it a bit ridiculous that people have seen this as Eon taking vengeance for people criticising certain aspects of the franchise, such as the script for Spectre.

No one has suggested that.

Obviously if the mods say we must do something we must, but I'm really at a loss as to how using a picture negatively impacts EON, financially or otherwise.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Quite honestly, this really isn't anything new. For the last few years I and many others have followed the "post links only" rule for images and other Bond related media, so this hardly shakes the foundations. As it's been said, we shouldn't just respect Bond's copyrights, but all copyrights for any characters, franchise or entities out there, the best we can. It's often difficult to be properly informed about the labyrinthine world of copyright law, of what can be posted and what cannot, but this news really doesn't change much at all.

It's also not fair to shoot the messenger- @DarthDimi in this case.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Everything was fine until @Creasy47 was named a mod.

I'm happy to help!

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Everything was fine until @Creasy47 was named a mod.

I'm happy to help!

:))

@Creasy47, I can vividly picture you in my head saying that and following it with a gesture where you shrug your shoulders while bending your arms at a 45 degree angle at your sides with the palms up in a sort of lovable rogue pose that says, "I made an oopsie, but you love me anyway!" Like you're straight out of a Three Stooges skit or something. ;))
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »
    I will abide by these new rules of course, but I kindly suggest to all EON reps who may be reading this forum that they perhaps spend their time and effort to try and get us a Bond film sooner and with higher quality. That should really be a priority imho. Oh, and have a tighter grip on the script next time. Cheers.

And while they're at it, perusing this site, the EoN reps should take a look at the comparatively expert work from fans, who in their spare time and for shits and giggles put together creations, art, story concepts and all round superior ideas and creativity and take note and do something far more useful with their time. When they want to start reprimanding fan sites who aren't doing any harm but rather carrying on the legend of Bond and making Bond look better than he is, you really wonder wtf they're actually doing with their time. EoN, if you're reading this, you'd be better off pillaging free ideas and creative concepts from us and concerning yourselves with which studio you're looking to find a new home with instead of wasting your time, worrying about things that are of no consequence to you. Perhaps if the last 3 Bond films were something to really scream home about I'd be more understanding and tolerant of this but that's not the case.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2016 Posts: 12,459
    As far as I can tell this is NOT a new rule. It isn't. If this forum is told they must comply for legal reasons, we may not like it but that is the way it is. And it has been so. It got lax, and admins/mods were told to crack down on this. Do express your discontent, but don't take it out on the admins/mods and also try to realize this is not a new rule. And long time members should be able to remember that.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Correct, it's not a new rule and that's not the issue. It's a rather petty rule and a petty rule it has always been; enforced by EoN and their executive goons and their threats of disassociation and withdrawal of "scoops" and tidbits they allegedly disclose to this site. It's funny because this place is hardly the first to recieve factual information regarding what EoN are doing and history has shown they're not particularly adept at keeping secrets or information that most people can accurately surmise and conclude for themselves.

If they're feeling salty about this, I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when McClory was around but given that it's EoN's legal right, let them exercise how they may.
    If I was EON, I'd be far more concerned about illegal copies of SP floating around. I can understand going after people who are using their trademarks, logos, etc., to make unofficial merchandise for profit. Going after dedicated fans enjoying a discussion about their favorite films? This seems a bit misdirected.

I do however understand the risk to the site and forum. A lawsuit could wipe the whole thing out. I respect your precautions. It's definitely not the mod's fault this ridiculous policy has to be enforced.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Ok I think it's time that a few of you take a chill pill and calm down.
    The only thing @DarthDimi requested was that an old rule that is clearly stated when everyone signed up to the forum be followed. It has in more recent times be a little lax in its enforcement. This has in no way been a directive from EON or anyone else. His opening post was in no way hostile or threatening in its content or meaning. A few of you seem to have taken this to heart far to much.
    Please remember that we're all here to enjoy the forum. Our enjoyment of James Bond. I visit to unwind, discuss something that is dear to me with like minded people.
    Unfortunately most days I end up cleaning up a load of crap before I get a chance too. And that goes for all the other mods on the forum. I certainly don't post as often as I used too. But do enjoy reading many of the great posts from others. Some I agree with, some I don't. That's the beauty sometimes of not letting the little things get to you.
    Just enjoy the actual reason that we're here.
    Is it really that big a deal to post a picture as a link. I'd like to think not.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is no big deal, and it has always been like this. That is why we don t post stills from the films in the caption contests.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 9,117
    doubleoego wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I will abide by these new rules of course, but I kindly suggest to all EON reps who may be reading this forum that they perhaps spend their time and effort to try and get us a Bond film sooner and with higher quality. That should really be a priority imho. Oh, and have a tighter grip on the script next time. Cheers.

And while they're at it, perusing this site, the EoN reps should take a look at the comparatively expert work from fans, who in their spare time and for shits and giggles put together creations, art, story concepts and all round superior ideas and creativity and take note and do something far more useful with their time. When they want to start reprimanding fan sites who aren't doing any harm but rather carrying on the legend of Bond and making Bond look better than he is, you really wonder wtf they're actually doing with their time. EoN, if you're reading this, you'd be better off pillaging free ideas and creative concepts from us and concerning yourselves with which studio you're looking to find a new home with instead of wasting your time, worrying about things that are of no consequence to you. Perhaps if the last 3 Bond films were something to really scream home about I'd be more understanding and tolerant of this but that's not the case.

This. In spades.

They could start with the poster thread.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Correct, it's not a new rule and that's not the issue. It's a rather petty rule and a petty rule it has always been; enforced by EoN and their executive goons and their threats of disassociation and withdrawal of "scoops" and tidbits they allegedly disclose to this site. It's funny because this place is hardly the first to recieve factual information regarding what EoN are doing and history has shown they're not particularly adept at keeping secrets or information that most people can accurately surmise and conclude for themselves.

If they're feeling salty about this, I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when McClory was around but given that it's EoN's legal right, let them exercise how they may.

And this.

Can anyone quote me a time when this site got an absolute exclusive from inside the bowels of EON? Most of the stories I see also show up on other sites at the same time.

Maybe the magazine does I guess. And given they charge for that it's understandable they have to pander to EON's pettiness I suppose.
    Ed83 wrote: »
    I do however understand the risk to the site and forum. A lawsuit could wipe the whole thing out. I respect your precautions. It's definitely not the mod's fault this ridiculous policy has to be enforced.

This would be fair enough except the opening post mentioned nothing about being sued. It was more worried about this site losing its status as EON's blue eyed boy.

If EON are saying they are going to sue the shit out of the site because someone posted a picture of Ursula Andress in a bikini then of course they need to stop it.

Are EON really that petty though to make such a threat?

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You can still post drawings of Muhammad here.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    edited January 2016 Posts: 13,384
    He's opened a new hat shop, .... Ali's Hat Bar !
    Just don't shout about it. ;)
    Although rules is rules. To keep MI6 running.
  • This to me is crazy, what are they going to do, shut down a fan sight & alienate the people who basically, given the response to SP, they can ill afford to upset.
    To me this is some legal numpty f**k** trying to justify his exorbitant salary.
    So I for one will not be changing my avatar >:)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Odd. Free positive marketing should be welcomed.
    You can still post drawings of Muhammad here.

Obviously it's beneath the Wizard to actually write 'LOL' in response but I have to say that did cause me to express an audible chortle on the train.
    This to me is crazy, what are they going to do, shut down a fan sight & alienate the people who basically, given the response to SP, they can ill afford to upset.
    To me this is some legal numpty f**k** trying to justify his exorbitant salary.
    So I for one will not be changing my avatar >:)

'Can ill afford to upset'?

I don't think you quite appreciate just how insignificant we here are to EON economically.

SP has taken what now? Something north of $850m?

What do you suppose the combined gross is from fans who post on here? $5,000? $10,000? Let's be generous, let's say $15,000 (actually wasn't there a thread somewhere adding up our spending on tickets?). That would equate to 0.0017% of the box office total.

We may kid ourselves that EON give the slightest toss what we think but the cruel reality of the numbers is that a mere drop off of 1% of the general public going to see SP would cost them $8.5m.

If everyone here were on the same plane and ISIS smashed it into a skyscraper the dent in EON's finances would be less than when you drop a 2p coin down the back of the sofa.

Compared with the blazing significance to EON of a single copyrighted picture on a fan forum, our thoughts on here, our love for James Bond are, in Tiger's phrase, of as little account as sparrow's tears.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @DarthDimi, I have a question.

Is there a way to easily and readily delete some of the old 'embedded photos' and 'videos' that may be slowing the site down and clogging up bandwidth? Or set some kind of expiration date on how long such embedded info is available on the site before it becomes obsolete and invalid (say one year)? In that way, the site is saved from being bogged down but active threads (& pages) still have embedded data. I'm not referring to 'EON specific copyright' material now, but just other photos and videos.

The reason I ask is because the ability to observe something directly on this forum embedded into an active thread is a far more appealing experience visually, and on the margin, more likely to result in me (and others perhaps?) engaging in lively conversation and discussion on it.

I realize that in the past links were sufficient, but we are fast moving on from that point, as the user's expectations in general are higher (and continue to get higher) each year that we become more technologically advanced.

I'll admit that seeing such embedded photos and videos on threads here was one of the 'sticky' elements in engaging me as an active participant member, something some other competing fan sites do not provide. The other factor was the black text on white background, which is so much easier to read than the fancy inverse layouts I've seen on one other site in particular.

Of course, the primary reason for my membership and continued involvement is the excellent, intelligent, informed and engaged members we have here, and that will continue to interest me. The above helps though.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Thanks for that bit of info. Sideways or not I've got to change my pic. Thanks
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,296
    Doom and gloom on a choo choo copyright train and a story to be told and emboldened, with a heavy heart I must agree with everything Dimi has posted.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Point understood. It's a reasonable request.

That said, is my profile pic OK?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    It is no big deal, and it has always been like this. That is why we don t post stills from the films in the caption contests.

Indeed, or on our avatars. We're not meant to anyhow!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    In this wave of changes, my Rufus Excalibur Ffolkes avatar will remain the same.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 3,164
    If you guys can pardon my ignorance....I'm just wondering how come it's just Bond that has this problem? Nowhere else, not even other arguably bigger forums centered around other big properties including arguably the biggest behemoths that are Disney/Marvel&Star Wars and Warner Bros/DC Films, apart from Bond forums have I seen something like this. For illegal copies of the film and bootleg/leaked materials I completely understand and that's enforced in all these other places, but officially released stills and marketing materials such as posters and trailers, that's honestly odd. How backward are EON exactly?

Maybe they'll get their act together with this when WB or Fox take over distribution rights and their legal and marketing departments will be dealing with us haha
  • @antovolk you've got me- I've said before how this is the only website on the entire internet that enforces such nonsense on a harmless forum. I found it so dumb that in the past I pretty much blatantly ignored it, lol.
    I will do my best to comply now that it's heated up again (sometimes it's just habit to post a pic related to a discussion) and to @DarthDimi, I hope you didn't think I was giving you a hard time personally. It's just a bonkers rule, and I understand you're just the messenger
    sermain.gif