What next for Madeleine Swann

Comments

I think @obrady is right...Swann and Ernst are coming back. That's been plan all along.....SP is a to be continued.....
    The next Bond film won't be BOND IS BACK..... it will be ERNST IS BACK! :)
    Was supposed to write the latter choice, but I think latte works just fine. I'd be embarrassed if my man would order his latte while introducing himself as Bond, James Bond, double o seven, here for my latte.

But since I'm a bloke, I'd be happy to have Bond as my bff.
    What next with Madeleine? She's pregnant :P

27053171ei.jpg

Bernie99 wrote: »
    What next with Madeleine? She's pregnant :P
    "Oh James!"

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Her two James's. James and lil Jimmy. :))
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited October 2016 Posts: 732
    Since I would prefer a plot based on the novels OHMSS and MR, I would let Madelaine be part of the action until about the middle of the movie.

The setup of MR (working closely to MI5) works fine IMHO since it also suits the ending of SP.
    Then Madeleine should be killed (maybe at the cliffs as in the MR novel?) and let it end with Gala Brand as it did in the novel (MR).

Since my ideas are too close to the novels they should move the story off England (since SF spent so much time there) but still it makes an awesome plot. But I would keep Madeleine as "Tracy" until where Bond tragically loses her through Blofeld's (Spectre's) hand. I just think it would be awesome if they'd revisit this relationship in Bond's life (Tracy) and update it and let Madeleine take her place. The emotional part just suits Craig very good and if Bond 25 is his last one (which I suppose if he comes back at all), it would be a very good ending of his run as 007. Let Blofeld escape, give 007 some kind of a signoff with Gala Brand which shows Bond's mourning over Madeleine but still make sure the last scene is an optimistic outlook for Bond (and don't let him get the girl = Gala Brand).

The emotional part combined with hardboiled action is the tone Craig set for his interpretation and it all would work well and could we a wonderful end of his run.
    Well, the rate they are going , she could have another kid and still be part of the cast for the next Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    She'll have the baby as early as July 2017, so no worries about it getting in the way of the production. 2018 isn't out of the question at all.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited October 2016 Posts: 7,314
    So Bond 25 will feature Bond and Madeleine living a quiet life in the country, raising their baby together. Everything is golden until she mentions that Blofeld might be the father.
    Product placement opportunities for Pampers?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    patb wrote: »
    Product placement opportunities for Pampers?
    It would be the first time since 1985, where Pampers tied in with AVTAK for old man diapers.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    I agree. She did the job of Bond girl nicely but I don't see much of a future to her. Bond clearly hasn't properly retired- how many times has Craig's Bond threatened to quit? It's just a nice light-hearted ending as opposed to the more downbeat ones of his previous films.

The next Bond film is maybe two or three years away so I don't think audiences will be wondering what happened to Madeleine. Perhaps a brief glimpse at the start of her walking out just to tie things off and then on to the next Bond girl.

+1

Given the mixed response to SP and the 3+ years in between films, I think at most she will be a very small part of Bond 25 despite how much continuity is involved with Bond these days. If Mendes returns I suspect she might be at least mentioned but otherwise I'm guessing the focus will likely move on to whoever the new bond girl is.
    NSGW wrote: »
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    I agree. She did the job of Bond girl nicely but I don't see much of a future to her. Bond clearly hasn't properly retired- how many times has Craig's Bond threatened to quit? It's just a nice light-hearted ending as opposed to the more downbeat ones of his previous films.

The next Bond film is maybe two or three years away so I don't think audiences will be wondering what happened to Madeleine. Perhaps a brief glimpse at the start of her walking out just to tie things off and then on to the next Bond girl.

+1

Given the mixed response to SP and the 3+ years in between films, I think at most she will be a very small part of Bond 25 despite how much continuity is involved with Bond these days. If Mendes returns I suspect she might be at least mentioned but otherwise I'm guessing the focus will likely move on to whoever the new bond girl is.
    I sincerely hope so.

Think the chances of Madeleine Swann returning are equal to Jinx having her own movie.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Think the chances of Madeleine Swann returning are equal to Jinx having her own movie.

I dunno. You're comparing one thing that could very well happen with another that never could've.

I dunno. You're comparing one thing that could very well happen with another that never could've.

I meant circa post DAD release, Jinx was something that was a possibility then got Jettisoned.

• gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    I'm sure the Jinx spin-off was spoken of.
    Thankfully the plan was not dismissed lightly - it was hurled aside with great force.
    One of many good decisions made after DAD, rather than just before or during it.
    gumbolt wrote: »
    I'm sure the Jinx spin-off was spoken of.
    Thankfully the plan was not dismissed lightly - it was hurled aside with great force.
    One of many good decisions made after DAD, rather than just before or during it.

I remember hearing about a possible Jinx spinoff when at college, so glad that never happened.

• please god no, she was mediocre at best. the accent was unbearable.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Swann could commit suicide in Blofeld's garden ....have Bond chew on that guilt for awhile.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Swann could commit suicide in Blofeld's garden ....have Bond chew on that guilt for awhile.

Do you really want to see that?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2017 Posts: 5,979
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Do you really want to see that?

NO. We have had too much guilt with Craig already in CR, QoS, and SF.

I'm still in favor of a Tiffany-like exit, either brief or just mentioned in passing. Swann as a sleeper agent/turncoat could work if they also kept it short (although this is less likely because it would undermine the previous film's happy ending--while they've toyed with bringing back Natalya and others, Eon always decides to go for the fresh face in the end).

But they'll probably make her an early sacrificial lamb a la the Bourne films (especially since there was no SL in SP). It's the easy, and action-packed, route.
    That is surely where they were headed when the SP script ended with "We have all the time in the world."
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    I was disappointed with Lea when I saw the movie. I though she was gonna be the new Eva green! Boy was I wrong.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If the incredible Camille was rumored to return and never did, then I'd be incredibly upset if someone like Swann makes an appearance in 'Bond 25.'
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Swann and Camille are in the same league of greatness, IMO.
    Swann would be more likely to return than Camille, though. Camille and Bond were platonic full-stop, and she was a Bolivian agent, so there's really no way to credibly rewrite her into a plot.

Madeleine on the other hand could be used in a myriad of ways, as that kind of stuff isn't holding her back. Plus her and Bond are kind of together, to be obvious. It's more likely than not that we haven't seen the last of her, considering her importance at the end of SP and what she symbolizes in Bond's post-MI6 life.
    Swann isn't a field agent, though, so if they bring her back, it'll solely be for her to get killed off/kidnapped. Surely she won't go globetrotting on another mission with Bond, unless she's at the center of it.

I won't be surprised if they try to downplay the connection they were supposed to have in SP (that I didn't buy for a second) and simply write her off without even a mention in the next installment. I guess we'll have a better idea of the possibility of all of this in a couple of years time (or however long it takes to get us the next one).
    Thankfully the Craig scripts have tried to write past story wrongs accrued by the movies of the past, and because of this, the writing is now more likely to address why things are happening to Bond instead of just forgetting them or shoving them under the rug, as has usually happened throughout the franchise. Tracy being brushed under the rug for so long is one of the bigger crimes.

If Madeleine does return, they could do more interesting things than just kill her. Have Bond put her into hiding after he sees Blofeld escape or engineer some kind of revenge, leaving him open to go on his own to tie off that loose end once and for all knowing she is safe.

I would personally love to see Bond trying (key word "trying") to settle into a "normal" life with Madeleine somewhere in the country, but not really feeling it. He's awkward living a domesticated existence, and knows that this isn't what he wanted, though Madeleine's offer did make him think of a life outside MI6 for a while, no matter how short. The film in a sub-plot placed well under the main story (Bond vs. Blofeld/SPECTRE one last time) would then explore Bond's inability to be anything other than the man he is. In SP he met a woman who made him rethink his life, but he later finds that the reason he doesn't think about changing his job or living something outside it is because subconsciously, he is defined by being a 00. At the end of the film, we will see that MI6 needs him and he needs MI6 in equal measures.

Bond would explain to Madeleine that it never could've worked between him, because his life is meant for one thing and one thing only; he was born for a storm from the very beginning, and a calm would never suit him. She might even agree, and amicably let him go knowing the kind of man he is, not unlike her father, and attracted to a certain danger and darkness. Bond would rationalize that although White startled him in that Austrian cabin and made him cautious of doing his job for too long for fear of ending up alone and decrepit, he has long realized (unlike White in some ways) that a man is not an island; he won't do what that man did and close himself off from those he trusts. The film would end with Bond and Madeliene having this talk on the Vauxhall Bridge as the pair take in the rubble of 007's old "office" from afar. Bond would explain himself fully and uncouple from Madeleine with respect and care, then walk off in the opposite direction to her, towards the rebuilt MI6 facility, towards the only life he ever knew.

The Craig era would then end as we see a fully formed development of a man who started off as a rough and tumble rookie who tried to leave the game, but ultimately realized that the game was a part of him. Bond would then be symbolized as the true symbol of duty and the ultimate protector of the realm in a very mythological style, becoming his own legend.

I think it'd be a beautiful end to Dan's work that would be earnest and honest in content. Bond doesn't do happy endings, nor would Bond just cordially retire; it's not in his nature, and I'd hope that a film exploring Bond's life outside MI6 would come to the same conclusions at the end of the film, and argue that he can't be without that job. He was destined to do things most can't, act as other's wouldn't be willing, and always be willing to cut through bureaucratic red tape others strangle themselves in to do what needs to be done to keep everyone safe. He can do that in MI6, and it gives him the ultimate purpose and kick he requires to be sustained.
    My main issue with bringing her back is that it'll immediately make her the main Bond girl again. It'd be foolish for Bond to try and protect her while subsequently bedding another woman, and Swann didn't impress me enough to make me go "You know what? I'd love for her to be one of the few Bond girls to make a return."