Rank the actors

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I'm of the opinion that Pierce played it the way he could have and was able to.

He was given an opportunity during his 4 film tenure to vary the take on the character, as all the actors, perhaps bar Lazenby (since he only had one shot) have done. When you get 4 kicks at the can, you have a chance to bring the entire acting repertoire to the table.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I do, as well - it's tough to find a bigger Brosnan fan than myself - but I'm saying that if Pierce had his way, we would've had an entirely different take on Bond, something much more akin to the way Craig has played it.

Well you found one, no one is a bigger Brosnan fan than i am hehe.
    But yes ofcourse his Bond would have been totally different if the producers would have given him the freedom to be that Bond.

But I can't blame the producers.
    The 90s called for the type of Bond Pierce made and maybe they were a little afraid to do the dark Bond.

So iguess its like Mendes4life said
    Bad timing for Pierce

• ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited May 2016 Posts: 1,691
    Yeah, it really is bad luck. I mean, that six year gap, which was unheard of at the time...Pierce really had a heavier burden than some other actors had. Roger took over from Sean-George-Sean chaos, and Tim took over from everybody-knows-Roger's-too-old. Pierce, more than anyone, took over from THE ENTIRE BOND LEGACY because of that six year gap. It wasn't fair.

And following from what @Szonana said, you couldn't expect the producers to continue with the gritty LTK formula after that film flopped in the US, and again, after a six year gap where everyone's idea of Bond reverted to Goldfinger and TSWLM, they had to play it safe. And Pierce was tied to that safe interpretation and not given a chance to make it what he could have.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    @s
    Szonana wrote: »
    i find your arguments a bitt disjointed. You are ok With Roger's silly films and his charming self going all through the 7 films he did but if its Sean Connery it gets tired ?

No, no, it's not like that. I really truly love those five Bonds. Connery really makes DAF a fun movie pretty much all on his own. And Thunderball I find to be extremely dull, but Sean being his cool self makes it worth watching. I just think Moore's films were more clearly made for him, and that he really dedicated himself more than Sean did, and all the way to the end.
    I do, as well - it's tough to find a bigger Brosnan fan than myself - but I'm saying that if Pierce had his way, we would've had an entirely different take on Bond, something much more akin to the way Craig has played it.

I can almost imagine that Pierce could have done that. He could have been in better films, had he had the chance. But his scripts weren't great, and instead of making his strengths meet the script where it is, I think he tried too hard to overwhelm the scripts with what he wished the scripts were.

But he's certainly a more than capable actor, and could have succeeded in a grittier take on the series. This is all just my opinion anyway, but I don't mean to insult his skills as an actor.

Thanks for explaining and i now see your point much better but yes for Mnay Connery started to get bored since You only live twice so for many fans it was like they changed The actor of the first 4 films still i think his good oned have more weight. So 2 bad films against 4 great ones i think we can ignore the bad ones.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I have Sean at No 5 as well.
    There are 6 actors, all of them brilliant in their way. Not one failure.

Dalton will always be my No 1.
    Then it gets tricky. Before Spectre it was Brosnan/Moore on 2nd place and then Connery, Craig and Lazenby.

Now Craig is my No 2 after Dalton.

Any Bond actor ranking is fine. I even could understand if someone would have Lazenby first. After all the only reason he doesn't get higher is because you don't have anything to compare OHMSS to, imho.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @ProfJoeButcher , strong first post. Are you sure you have not been here before under another guise?

Definitely my first time here, but thanks!

• MurdockMurdock The minus world

Ahem. ME! :D
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    First post!

1. Timothy Dalton
    Great actor in general, absolutely the closest thing to Fleming's Bond onscreen. I love his humanity in his personal interactions with people he cares about, like Kara, Felix, Della, and Sharkey, an aspect often overlooked. He laughs more than the other Bonds, and shows a great deal more warmth as well. But of course, as is more often noticed, he could kill whoever needed to be killed, and he could get roughed up. Until Craig, we never really saw Bond looking as worn out as Tim at the end of LTK.

2. Daniel Craig
    Brosnan is often thought of as being some kind of "mix" of Sean, Roger, and Tim, but I think Daniel is actually much closer to that. He has the natural suaveness of Sean and Roger, as well as their humor, and can also show the brutality and humanity on offer from Tim. I don't think he's *quite* as good at any of those components as the others, but he does everything well above average for sure, and in my opinion has yet to play a part in a weak film.

3. Roger Moore
    I had to grow up a bit before I could learn to like old Rodge has much as I do now. Sure, his movies got pretty silly, but Roger always understood what kind of movie he was making and played it with a perfect amount of self-awareness. He's just so goddamn likeable. He's sort of an opposite to Tim, in that he's absolutely a "superman". There's no logical reason why he should be able to do what he does, but Roger makes you believe it somehow.

4. George Lazenby
    This guy's confidence, fighting ability, and humanity really make me wish we could have seen more of him. He held his own in OHMSS, surrounded by superior actors, which is a remarkable achievement for a non-actor. I think George as a real person just had the overconfidence and fists to naturally move into the role. Hard to judge on the one (kind of outlier) film, but he could have been the best, who knows....

5. Sean Connery
    I love Sean. I know fifth is low, but I just love those other four more. Sean has more natural charisma than any of the Bonds, and more than most any actor. I just don't think he brought too much more than his natural coolness and wit, which again, are more than enough to make him an awesome Bond. But from Thunderball on, maybe even in Goldfinger, that was really all he was doing, hanging around being his cool self. It's enough to make DAF watchable, but not enough for me to rank him higher.

6. Pierce Brosnan
    Pierce just couldn't bring it, and his scripts did him no favors. He always strikes me not as James Bond, but as a guy playing James Bond. He's playing a guy who's acting like James Bond. The mugging, the smirking, the tie-adjusting, the labored too-cool-for-school attitude--I don't like it at all. And then he brought unneeded melodrama to the series. The pain face, the penchant for sniffing the corpses of women--what is this? I think Pierce was fighting with his scripts, trying to make them more "serious" than they obviously are. If he could have accepted the "Roger Mark II" role on offer in films like TND, he could have done better. As it stands, we kind of have a generic fakey Bond dragging us into radical tonal shifts, smelling Teri Hatcher's dead body and then giggling as he drives a life-size remote control car around. Awful.

Excellent first post. Welcome.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited June 2016 Posts: 8,087
    -
    Good ranking.
  • Although the circumstances did impair Brosnan, he was also given a bigger shot at the role than some of the other actors. That he didn't manage to achieve his vision of Bond despite four movies sometimes makes me inclined to rank him below Dalton, who was more or less his equal in portraying Bond despite only having half the number of films to work with and equally (if not moreso) disadvantageous circumstances.

Of course, being a child who grew up with Moore, it's natural for me to not be able to see Dalton as perfection, but in my opinion, he really didn't have that level of effortless suave that Connery & Moore had. Even Craig could be more effortless than him at times, and Dalton was the victim of overacting (although he also had some pretty bad cast mates). I liked his portrayal in The Living Daylights, where he fit the image of Bond that I had grown used to by '87, but a more serious one, while his portrayal in Licence to Kill felt strangely hammy and just not Bond-like in my opinion.
    Although the circumstances did impair Brosnan, he was also given a bigger shot at the role than some of the other actors. That he didn't manage to achieve his vision of Bond despite four movies sometimes makes me inclined to rank him below Dalton, who was more or less his equal in portraying Bond despite only having half the number of films to work with and equally (if not moreso) disadvantageous circumstances.

Of course, being a child who grew up with Moore, it's natural for me to not be able to see Dalton as perfection, but in my opinion, he really didn't have that level of effortless suave that Connery & Moore had. Even Craig could be more effortless than him at times, and Dalton was the victim of overacting (although he also had some pretty bad cast mates). I
    I'm completely in agreement with you. Brosnan was given more than enough time and opportunity to finesse his portrayal & he stumbled imho. He was admittedly done no favours in the script dept, but neither were some of the other actors on occasion either. In my view he finally got close to a real 'Bond portrayal' in DAD, but it really was an awful film in which to find one's feet in.

I agree on Dalton as well. He was excellent in some areas, but not so good in being naturally suave. I never saw him as a ladies man either. I do like his turn in LTK though. Intense. Only Craig in QoS runs him close for that kind of sustained intensity
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    1. Dalton - perfection

2. Connery - perfect start, diminishing returns

3. Moore - superb screen presence

4. Craig - never reached potential

5. Lazenby - Had it where it counts

6. Brosnan - victim of circumstance
    Nice.
    My take:

1. Dalton - nobody has done it better.
    2. Connery - his first two were astounding.
    3. Craig - up there with the best.
    4. Brosnan - shined in even the thinness scripts.
    5. Moore - surprisingly Bondian at times; a definite asset to the franchise!
    6. Lazenby - awesome newcomer.

Really, they're all good.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    chrisisall wrote: »
    1. Dalton - perfection

2. Connery - perfect start, diminishing returns

3. Moore - superb screen presence

4. Craig - never reached potential

5. Lazenby - Had it where it counts

6. Brosnan - victim of circumstance
    Nice.
    My take:

1. Dalton - nobody has done it better.
    2. Connery - his first two were astounding.
    3. Craig - up there with the best.
    4. Brosnan - shined in even the thinness scripts.
    5. Moore - surprisingly Bondian at times; a definite asset to the franchise!
    6. Lazenby - awesome newcomer.

Really, they're all good.

Absolutely, I think Moore was quite Flemingesque in LALD, TMWTGG, FYEO and OP.

I agree, they are all good in their own right.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 3,000
    Accidental double post. I'd swear I never even hit post as I wasn't finished yet.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 3,000
    1. Pierce Brosnan. Shear style. Smoothness. Quips. A snotty, cocky attitude when talking to villains. Great gadgets. Everything I want in cinematic Bond.

2. Daniel Craig. Although I'm not the biggest proponent of the new, darker, more serious, more emotional portrayal of Bond, no one could have made it work like Craig. In cinematic Bond, I generally want a relatively flat, simple character who exists to shoot people, pop off with quips, and have fun while doing it. Obviously, the direction EON has chosen to take Bond means giving the character more depth and flaws. The thing Craig has done is manage to achieve this goal in an expert manner that I wouldn't have thought possible; making the audience get to know, care about, and like Bond even with his flaws. After watching the story of Craig's Bond over the past 4 films, I feel that I know this Bond fella pretty well, to the point that, after watching the end of Spectre and seeing Bond with Madeleine, I have never felt so genuinely happy for a person who doesn't exist.

3. Roger Moore. A supremely fun, light-hearted Bond. As stated by chrisisall above, Moore can be surprisingly Bondian. This shines through especially well in the dinner conversation between Bond and Scaramanga in TMWTGG.

4 Sean Connery. The essence of Bond style. The prototype upon which every other Bond was built in some way or another.

5. Timothy Dalton. I rather enjoy TLD, but I can't stand LTK. TLD seems to be a transition between what Bond was, and what Dalton wanted him to be. I enjoy Dalton's Bond the most when he was displaying the older qualities of Bond, but by the time LTK rolled around, and Dalton's take on the character was set free, he had lost me.

6. George Lazenby. Not at all a bad Bond, but basically a discount version of Connery-Bond. I can't help but wonder how much more powerful OHMSS would have been with Connery, in particular the final scene.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited May 2016 Posts: 1,130
    1. Pierce Brosnan. Shear style. Smoothness. Quips. A snotty, cocky attitude when talking to villains. Great gadgets. Everything I want in cinematic Bond.

2. Daniel Craig. Although I'm not the biggest proponent of the new, darker, more serious, more emotional portrayal of Bond, no one could have made it work like Craig. In cinematic Bond, I generally want a relatively flat, simple character who exists to shoot people, pop off with quips, and have fun while doing it. Obviously, the direction EON has chosen to take Bond means giving the character more depth and flaws. The thing Craig has done is manage to achieve this goal in an expert manner that I wouldn't have thought possible; making the audience get to know, care about, and like Bond even with his flaws. After watching the story of Craig's Bond over the past 4 films, I feel that I know this Bond fella pretty well, to the point that, after watching the end of Spectre and seeing Bond with Madeleine, I have never felt so genuinely happy for a person who doesn't exist.

3. Roger Moore. A supremely fun, light-hearted Bond. As stated by chrisisall above, Moore can be surprisingly Bondian. This shines through especially well in the dinner conversation between Bond and Scaramanga in TMWTGG.

Wow you expressed my thoughts on Craig and Pierce better than i do lol. That's why those two( Pierce and Craig) are in my top 3.

Id just put in the middle of those two Sean Connery who had everything needed for the cinemmatic Bond as well and he did it first but i prefer pierce a little more because he is the one i saw first and my first Bond film was with him.

My ranking explained in short sentences

Top 3

1. Pierce Brosnan: he brought sexy Back to the franchise
    2. Sean Connery- got The character right from his very fisrt film
    3. Daniel Craig- He made Dark and gritty Bond look good

Followed by....
    4. Timothy Dalton - Flemingesque Bond 100%
    5. Roger Moore - way too goofy for me
    6 George Lazenby- way too cute and sweet for Bond

Sean Connery is the original Pierce Brosnan. Wow. Mind blown.
  • @bondjames - Sorry, but I don't think Brosnan "found his feet" in DAD either.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Sean Connery is the original Pierce Brosnan. Wow. Mind blown.

Ok, I shouldn't have said the original Pierce Brosnan but I just wanted to say i loved Both Pierce and Connery for the same reasons its just Pierce has the small edge because i watched him first

what I meant is everything i loved from Pierce Connery did it first.
    It just looked terrible.

@bondjames - Sorry, but I don't think Brosnan "found his feet" in DAD either.
    @stun_harvesting, I can very much understand & sympathize with that assessment.

I just saw a little more 'swagger' in him in DAD, and he was more assertive with the ladies ("put your back into it", "too strong for you" etc.) rather than relatively wimpy/unsure as in the previous films. That's the Bond I like to see, and I thought he pulled it off nicely there although the film is a joke (literally). I think he was better in DAD than Craig in SP (who seemed almost creepy in some instances to me - especially with Bellucci), truth be told.

There was some of the old melodrama at the end with Halle's Jinx at the Ice Palace, but still, I wish he'd been more this kind of Bond during his tenure. It shows that it really was all up to him and not the films (since DAD is not really a positive poster boy for Bond films either).
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    1. TIMOTHY DALTON
    This shouldn't come as a surprise. Right of the pages of the books. Dalton is moody, intelligent, dislikes his job, has believable love interests and remains a bon vivant throughout. Tim is playing it straight and it's not too difficult to suspend one's disbelief. Nevertheless, the escapism is still there as both his films have some of the best and most outrageous stunts of the series.

2. SEAN CONNERY
    This man is the personification of class. The way he moves on screen, the mannerisms, the playful look and the way he is dressed make for the ultimate gentleman spy. DAF does cost him some points, he should not have returned looking all out of shape. Still, those 60's films are the pinnacle of stylish entertainment and thanks in no small part to Sir Sean's charming suaveness.

3. PIERCE BROSNAN
    Yes, I put Pierce third. The Brozza was born to be wearing a suit, he's elegant and stylish. Might not feel as British as his predecessors, though I like his internationality (German cars, Italian fashion). He has a self-confident swagger to him and I adore the sarcastic look he sometimes gives in the more comedic scenes (Q scenes especially). I know his films aren't always loved around here and even I put DAD at the bottom. It says a lot though I still think he did great despite the awfulness he was put in the middle of.

4. GEORGE LAZENBY
    Even fans of OHMSS put him dead last sometimes and I don't really get why. Physically the most impressive and confident almost to the point of arrogant. Yet at the same time he has a vulnerability about him that makes him more human than the others (except maybe for Tim). Besides, that last scene is heartbreaking and that's definitely thanks to him.

5. ROGER MOORE
    I don't dislike Rog, I just don't like him as much as most of the others. That's predominantly because of the way he was used by the writers. There is a joke behind every corner and certainly in his last outings those jokes had become the essence of the films. The parrot, the Tarzan yell, that noise he makes when he's falling over. I admit Moore was great in the 70's, in the 80's not so much.

6. DANIEL CRAIG
    I'll be the first to admit that Daniel Craig is a good actor. It takes more than a good actor to be a good Bond though. The man's got a working class vibe to him. Bond has lost his refined nature in the last outings. That's mostly because he looks like a bodybuilding Everyman. If such a man would enter a bar, I would think he's there to pick a fight. Anyway, he has some fine moments too and delivered two good films for sure. Still my least favourite of the bunch though.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    1. TIMOTHY DALTON
    This shouldn't come as a surprise. Right of the pages of the books. Dalton is moody, intelligent, dislikes his job, has believable love interests and remains a bon vivant throughout. Tim is playing it straight and it's not too difficult to suspend one's disbelief. Nevertheless, the escapism is still there as both his films have some of the best and most outrageous stunts of the series.

2. SEAN CONNERY
    This man is the personification of class. The way he moves on screen, the mannerisms, the playful look and the way he is dressed make for the ultimate gentleman spy. DAF does cost him some points, he should not have returned looking all out of shape. Still, those 60's films are the pinnacle of stylish entertainment and thanks in no small part to Sir Sean's charming suaveness.

3. PIERCE BROSNAN
    Yes, I put Pierce third. The Brozza was born to be wearing a suit, he's elegant and stylish. Might not feel as British as his predecessors, though I like his internationality (German cars, Italian fashion). He has a self-confident swagger to him and I adore the sarcastic look he sometimes gives in the more comedic scenes (Q scenes especially). I know his films aren't always loved around here and even I put DAD at the bottom. It says a lot though I still think he did great despite the awfulness he was put in the middle of.

4. GEORGE LAZENBY
    Even fans of OHMSS put him dead last sometimes and I don't really get why. Physically the most impressive and confident almost to the point of arrogant. Yet at the same time he has a vulnerability about him that makes him more human than the others (except maybe for Tim). Besides, that last scene is heartbreaking and that's definitely thanks to him.

5. ROGER MOORE
    I don't dislike Rog, I just don't like him as much as most of the others. That's predominantly because of the way he was used by the writers. There is a joke behind every corner and certainly in his last outings those jokes had become the essence of the films. The parrot, the Tarzan yell, that noise he makes when he's falling over. I admit Moore was great in the 70's, in the 80's not so much.

6. DANIEL CRAIG
    I'll be the first to admit that Daniel Craig is a good actor. It takes more than a good actor to be a good Bond though. The man's got a working class vibe to him. Bond has lost his refined nature in the last outings. That's mostly because he looks like a bodybuilding Everyman. If such a man would enter a bar, I would think he's there to pick a fight. Anyway, he has some fine moments too and delivered two good films for sure. Still my least favourite of the bunch though.

Good but a little strange ranking. It looks contradictory that you love the realistic portrayal of Dalton but Have Daniel at the bottom. I feel their portrayals were quite similar woth the only difference that Craig had the good luck of having better budgets and his films look much more up scale.

And physically I think Daniel is more appropriate for that much more real action oriented Bond.

But I admit my top 3 looks contradictory as well.

I always claim how much i have a preference for cinematic Bond and how care more for the ladies man traits over the more believable spy assasin traits and yet i have poor Roger at the bottom With Pierce Brosnan, Sean Connery and Daniel Craig in my top 3.

I even sometimes think my ranking doesn't make much sense.

That s because it doesn t.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited September 2016 Posts: 6,788
    1. TIMOTHY DALTON

2. SEAN CONNERY

3. PIERCE BROSNAN

4. GEORGE LAZENBY

5. ROGER MOORE

6. DANIEL CRAIG

Good but a little strange ranking. It looks contradictory that you love the realistic portrayal of Dalton but Have Daniel at the bottom. I feel their portrayals were quite similar woth the only difference that Craig had the good luck of having better budgets and his films look much more up scale.

And physically I think Daniel is more appropriate for that much more real action oriented Bond.

I always claim how much i have a preference for cinematic Bond and how care more for the ladies man traits over the more believable spy assasin traits and yet i have poor Roger at the bottom With Pierce Brosnan, Sean Connery and Daniel Craig in my top 3.

It might seem contradictory that I have both "realistic" Bonds on both ends of my rankings. The difference is that while Tim can be a classy gentleman, I don't feel that with Craig. He's too brutish to me. I can't see Craig's Bond as an Eton alumni. I find the refined nature of 007 very important and Craig doesn't convince me on that account.

Craig lacks that sophisticated touch that all the others naturally master. That scene after Vesper's demise when he's breathing like a wild animal is far away from the subtle reaction of the much maligned Lazenby at the end of OHMSS.

So realism has not really anything to do with why I prefer Dalton to Craig. Tim can be angry and moody too, but he does so with a touch of class. Cubby sure knew which kind of man to pick for the role, not so sure about his offspring though.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 11,119
    We already did a similar topic in here. And it was a bit more 'honest', as we only looked to every actor's first Bond outing, to give every actor an equal chance:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/7199/bond-polls-2015-every-bond-actor-s-1st-bond-film#latest

And these were the actual results:
    BjIcCC.jpg
    It might seem contradictory that I have both "realistic" Bonds on both ends of my rankings. The difference is that while Tim can be a classy gentleman, I don't feel that with Craig. He's too brutish to me. I can't see Craig's Bond as an Eton alumni. I find the refined nature of 007 very important and Craig doesn't convince me on that account.

Craig lacks that sophisticated touch that all the others naturally master.
    Prior to SP, I would not have agreed with you. Now, to an extent I do. I think he's an excellent actor, and does a superb job with everything he's given.

However, I agree that he is not able to sell sophistication or classiness quite as well as the others. The films help him out a lot in this respect, because they have been very upscale and stylish offerings with refined costars in comparison to what the others had to endure on occasion.
  • GBFGBF
    1. TIMOTHY DALTON

2. SEAN CONNERY

3. PIERCE BROSNAN

4. GEORGE LAZENBY

5. ROGER MOORE

6. DANIEL CRAIG

Craig lacks that sophisticated touch that all the others naturally master. That scene after Vesper's demise when he's breathing like a wild animal is far away from the subtle reaction of the much maligned Lazenby at the end of OHMSS.

So realism has not really anything to do with why I prefer Dalton to Craig. Tim can be angry and moody too, but he does so with a touch of class. Cubby sure knew which kind of man to pick for the role, not so sure about his offspring though.

Well yes I totally agree. Craig is a good actor but for me he is more convincing as a soldier or a detective. He is also good as a cold blooded assassin but I always thought James Bond was more than that. He should also be an intellectual gentle man with a sense of irony and humour.

I agree that even a Bristish super spy should show at least a few emotions but in the Craig era it is a bit too much. But I also don't think that the overly emotional portrait of Craig's Bond makes him a relaistic spy.

Yes he fell in love with her but I mean this man has been trained to work effectively in ectremely dangerous situations, he is trained to kill another person in cold blood and to cope with extreme psychological stress.

Craig certainly, overall is the least convincing Bond, also he doesn't look anything like Fleming envisioned. For future actors that must be a no-go.

BUT Craig finally showed us he can be as good as Moore in TSWLM, Brosnan in DAD or Connery in TB.
    SPECTRE shows him in spectacularly relaxed, moving cool and smooth and having fun. He delivers the lines and the looks like Moore did at his best time.

It's just a shame it took him four movies to finally get there.
    Yes, to me, but I don't see any reason to put "imho" at the end of every sentence.
    It's obvious it's my opinion.