Rank the actors

Comments

I agree. Craig in CR is something else; can't imagine it'll be topped as my favorite Bond performance. I think he deserved an Oscar nomination for it.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Craig for an Oscar nomination in CR?!? That's hilarious.

No one ever came close to the acting level of Connery.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2016 Posts: 15,692
    Craig's acting in CR is phenomenal, but strangely enough I'd rank way below Connery's and Moore's. Sure his performance pulls me into the film and its great to see him Bond 'become' Bond, but I have a hard time ranking it alongside the confident Moore and Connery at their best. It's evident in some scenes of CR where Craig is really 'acting', and not 'being' Bond like Sir Rog and Connery could effortlessly do, but Craig managed to match them in QOS and SF once his Bond was established.
    In QOS he wasn't Bond but any action hero, still totally convincing.
    The only movie where Craig truly feels like Bond is Spectre, which is the closest thing I have seen to a Connery performance.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Yeah, Craig is a bit aimless in CR, for me. He finally nailed it with SP.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    Craig in CR is the only really Oscar-worthy performance.

Oscars are a political organization, so I don't put a Hell of a lot of stock in their decision making. But, I get your point and I agree. That was probably the only performance that really required the actor playing Bond to dig deep and Craig succeeded more than admirably. But (as was the theme of a thread I started last year) the best performance by an actor is not necessarily the best interpretation of Bond.

Indeed.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited April 2016 Posts: 17,692
    Yeah, Craig is a bit aimless in CR, for me. He finally nailed it with SP.
    In that film he was allowed to. In QOS he came really close because he & Forster made it up as they went.

:)>-
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    The only movie where Craig truly feels like Bond is Spectre, which is the closest thing I have seen to a Connery performance.

Well that's because it was the end of his arc .
    From the amateur childish agent to the legendary expert James Bond, it was interesting thing to watch and Craig made that arc look good but I hope its the first and last.

A great way to go out & to leave the franchise IMO. High note, as it were. =D>
    The way Craigs Bond worms his way round Monica Belluci in SP is uncomfortable to watch, and how he took advantage of Severine in SF considering her background is far from Bonds finest moments. Mendes directed Craig Bond is a slimeball, prefered Craigs Bond in CR and QoS .
    The way Craigs Bond worms his way round Monica Belluci in SP is uncomfortable to watch, and how he took advantage of Severine in SF considering her background is far from Bonds finest moments. Mendes directed Craig Bond is a slimeball, prefered Craigs Bond in CR and QoS .
    Bond is a scoundrel.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Mendes is influenced by LALD. Look at what Bond did to little Solitaire.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I agree on SP, but only because of the way Craig acts it. To me, it's unconvincing. Too little charm and too much thuggery imho. In SF in contrast, Severine for all intents and purposes basically threw herself at him, by disclosing her boat location and departure time.
    Craig was never convincing with the ladies.
    However my rankings may change, Dalton will always remain the best of these six. His next closest rival is Connery, but Connery didn't really have the vulnerability of Dalton. Infact, after From Russia Connery became kind of bullet proof. After that, I don't find him as interesting to watch. His first two are his best performances, when he felt the threat, and reacted with surprise, panic, confusion, distress etc. By the time of GF, he mainly just saunters through things looking cool as heck. That's fine, but its not as engaging to me as a character with some skin in the game, and you feel it. The fact that Connery began to look bored doesn't really matter if you think about it because the character he was playing by that point wasn't bothered by much to begin with.
    He does spend a lot of GF standing round with his hands in his pockets looking cool. However, I'd still say there are scenes that show him actually displaying emotions and a bit of vulnerability. He's excellent in the scene where he finds Jill and demonstrates both sadness and shock. Likewise in the following scene in M's office where you feel his determination to carry on with the mission.

Also, I'm not sure you could be much more vulnerable when you are about to be cut in half bollocks -first by a giant lazer.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    He does spend a lot of GF standing round with his hands in his pockets looking cool. However, I'd still say there are scenes that show him actually displaying emotions and a bit of vulnerability. He's excellent in the scene where he finds Jill and demonstrates both sadness and shock. Likewise in the following scene in M's office where you feel his determination to carry on with the mission.

Also, I'm not sure you could be much more vulnerable when you are about to be cut in half bollocks -first by a giant lazer.

For me, the best scene for Connery (post from russia) is when he is captured in TB, and says "well, you can't win them all." It's a shame that Connery didn't get more scenes like that.
    Yes, that scene is a cracker. Also the scene when he tells Domino her brother is dead.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Let's not forget the 'rack'. That was vulnerable was well. I've never seen King Connery screaming so loudly.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Let's not forget the 'rack'. That was vulnerable was well. I've never seen King Connery screaming so loudly.

But it was more played for laughs, so it kind of ruined it.
    Connery's line of "I'll tell the chef" is fantastic.

I do see what you mean though. They definitely "dilute" the vulnerability at times during the Connery era. When he helps Kerim carry our the assassination, the book goes into detail about Bond's discomfort about killing in cold blood. Yes, Connery sells the actual scene very well, however the dark quip was added on in the film and (kind of) ends the scene on a lighter note.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    The more I watch their respective films, the more I come to the conclusion that no-one comes close to Sean and Rog.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited May 2016 Posts: 1,130
    However my rankings may change, Dalton will always remain the best of these six. His next closest rival is Connery, but Connery didn't really have the vulnerability of Dalton. Infact, after From Russia Connery became kind of bullet proof. After that, I don't find him as interesting to watch. His first two are his best performances, when he felt the threat, and reacted with surprise, panic, confusion, distress etc. By the time of GF, he mainly just saunters through things looking cool as heck. That's fine, but its not as engaging to me as a character with some skin in the game, and you feel it. The fact that Connery began to look bored doesn't really matter if you think about it because the character he was playing by that point wasn't bothered by much to begin with.

I don't think the problem with Connery was feeling vulnerable since he felt that way many times but we never saw his sensitive or romantic side. Its not a big deal but if you want to point a flaw is that one.
    4 of his successors did show that side. Only Sean and Moore didn't.

Sure Moore was very charming and used very little violence but truly romantic or sensitive never.

Pierce did show his romantic and sensitive side
    In Goldeneye when Natalya asked him if she really didn't mean nothing to him.
    In the world is not enough first when he watches the video of Elektra's escape from her kidnapping, when he saved her in the ski chase and when they finally slept together.

Daniel Craig
    Did show his romantic side in the shower scene with vesper, when he tells vesper about quitting and when they speak about jis armour.

Timothy Dalton
    In the living Daylights with Kara in their date and Licence to kill he showed his romantic side when he jumped to the pool with Kara.

George Lazenby well almost every time he was with Tracy especially their wedding.

However my rankings may change, Dalton will always remain the best of these six. His next closest rival is Connery, but Connery didn't really have the vulnerability of Dalton. Infact, after From Russia Connery became kind of bullet proof.

I largely agree. Dalton did show a Bond that wrestles with what he is, does - and I found that interesting, as that's very close to the cynical and cold Fleming-Bond. His introduction in the franchise has his Bond saying about M "If he fires me, I'll thank him for it". On the other hand, I do wonder what legacy Dalton would have left after 4 or 5 outings. As I said somewhere else before: only 2 outings gives an actor fewer shots to get it right, but also fewer possibilities to miss the mark.

Connery, Craig, Dalton, Moore (though FYEO is probably my sentimental favorite Bond film), Brosnan (though I like Goldeneye a lot), and Lazenby, though OHMSS is excellent. One reason why I'm not such a big Brosnan fan is because I think Bond should be English (and white, though I love all races), whereas I sometimes can't get past Brosnan's Irishness.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Bond is half Scottish, half Swiss, white British. Not English.....although he works for HMSS.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Bond is half Scottish, half Swiss, white British. Not English.....although he works for HMSS.

What rubbish. Bond is an American named Jimmy.

Actually I'm half Swiss half British.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Actually I'm half Swiss half British.

Where in Britain?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    1. Moore
    2. Connery
    *huge gap*
    3. Dalton
    4. Brosnan / Craig
    6. Lazenby