Is On her Majesites Secret Service a christmas film?

Comments

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I prefer OHMSS to Gremlins as a Christmas movie.

Anathemaaaaaaa ;)) I prefer Gremlins as a Xmas movie overall (as a movie overall... I guess Gremlins and OHMSS would be quite paired on my list), but there's no acounting about taste. And even less if the taste is good.

Gremlins is the ultimate Xmas movie because it is a parable about the perils of thinking that everything can be bought and used / disposed the way we do.
    Which is apt, especially around the holiday period when we seem to have forgotten what 'Christmas' is supposed to be - now blinded by consumerism... the way Christmas has become commercialized by the ignorant attitudes in the West.
    And it's darn funny to boot.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Jungle Book as I recall. Don't ask me to tell you one thing about it though.

Isn't there a tiger in it?

Anyway hardly in Bond's league is it?

The Jungle Book beats most Bond films to death. It is pure art, and the score is up there with Barry s best.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Their is a theme of Christmas there, but i do not class it as a Christmas movie.

Christmas is central to its setting, its action, its atmosphere... Hence it's a Christmas movie.
    OHMSS is quite often played during the xmas period here in the UK.
    All sorts of crappy films with a Christmas theme get aired every Christmas. It is a sure way to get some extra screentime.

Not talking about OHMSS, of course.
    All sorts of crappy films with a Christmas theme get aired every Christmas. It is a sure way to get some extra screentime.

and 'National Lampoons Xmas Vacation' :)
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Walecs wrote: »
    No, but I'd rather watch that than Home Alone.

I'd rather watch a prostate exam than Home Alone.
    :))
    The term "Christmas movie/film" can be used pretty loosely I think; it all depends on what you classify as a "Christmas film". If Christmas can simply be a theme or setting, then yeah I suppose it is. Batman Returns is another good example - obviously people think of it as an action film first, but it takes place during Christmas. I'm not even sure what I consider a Christmas film, but if we use it loosely, then yeah why not.
    When Christmas is central to the story or the thematic then yes it is a Christmas movie.
  • augie7107augie7107 Boston
    It may not be an official Christmas movie but we watch it every year around Christmas based on the references to the holiday in the film. Some of the trailers to the other movies are nice to view also during this time of year since some films were released to coincide with Christmas time.
    mepal1 wrote: »

and 'National Lampoons Xmas Vacation' :)

No, you are wrong. I was talking about that.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 2,896
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The term "Christmas movie/film" can be used pretty loosely I think; it all depends on what you classify as a "Christmas film"...Batman Returns is another good example - obviously people think of it as an action film first, but it takes place during Christmas.

Yes, and Batman Returns is a terrific Christmas film too--it even ends with Bruce Wayne saying "good will to all men...and women." A good Christmas film should have extensive shots of snow or winter landscapes and should have characters acknowledging the Christmas holiday, usually through giving gifts. Lastly, in honor of the holiday, there should be scenes of full or potential redemption. Both OHMSS and Batman Returns fulfill those requirements.
    Just wondering, in all those countries without snow on Christmas, do you still equate Christmas with snow?
    I always have even though its never snowed where I live.
    I always have even though its never snowed where I live.

So it is fairy tale for you? That and Jesus?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Well of course Jesus is a fairy tale. Don't tell me there's some people out there who think it's all true?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Lethal Weapon is a Christmas movie.
    Wasn't 'Die Hard' set at xmas time?
    Passion of the Christ isn t, but nice try, Mel.
    Just wondering, in all those countries without snow on Christmas, do you still equate Christmas with snow?

I am from Québec but now lives in England. There is snow once in a blue moon, so very little chances to have a white Christmas. So I only see a white Christmas every two years. So to answer your question: yes I do.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

"Now I have a machine gun, Ho, Ho, Ho..." In my best Alan Rickman

talos7 wrote: »

"Now I have a machine gun, Ho, Ho, Ho..." In my best Alan Rickman

Off topic, but this is so brilliant: the line is truly from John McClane, but it is said by Hans Gruber. The sender is all wisecracking and in your face, while the person reading and saying it aloud is both inquisitive and somewhat dismissive. Gruber is not impressed.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Definitely a Christmas film!

Well of course Jesus is a fairy tale. Don't tell me there's some people out there who think it's all true?

I do believe the entire biblical narrative cover to cover and would love to discuss it with you privately if you want.

Risico007 wrote: »

I do believe the entire biblical narrative cover to cover and would love to discuss it with you privately if you want.

Evangelizing?
    Good luck with that.
    Hey he brought up the topic. Like I said I am a devout Christian if someone wants to talk about it I have no issues discussing my faith and the history of said faith. And as long as we both have an open mind perhaps we can learn from each other however if someone wants to be a close minded person and be extremely egotistical and self righteous about doing so I can easily be just as close minded.

To sum up I don't evengelize I discuss much like I don't evangelize Bond or Yes or my other interests of someone wants to discuss it I am here if not that is fine too.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,416
    Yeah, religion and politics are something that I try not to discuss here, as there have been instances in which I would love to share my views. But its not worth getting into feuds.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, you can't win discussing Politics or Religion, Someone will
    always get upset.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I suppose it is, but OHMSS never really felt like a Christmas movie to me.