Is On her Majesites Secret Service a christmas film?

Before people flat out say no hear me out. There is I feel three bits of criteria one can argue when discussing whether it's a holiday film or not. the first is timing when does the film take place Obviously Die Hard with a Vengeance takes place in July so it can't be a Christmas film where as 1 and 2 do take place at Christmas. The Second is references to the holiday and how integral is it to the plot and finally does it showcase Christmas themes. I will be using It's a Wonderful life as a baseline and yes I am cheating a bit comparing the two (as It's a wonderful life really doesn't follow the first or even second rule at all but more on that later) so without further ado here we go

First I need to point out defining a Christmas film is quite challenging when one thinks about it for example It's A Wonderful Life takes place largely outside of Christmas (showing George's life through out various activities in the summer and fall) Sure the end has the classic scene around the Christmas tree but when you stop and think about it that's it. And yet somehow it's a Christmas classic. OHMSS at the very least takes place mostly in December (indeed all the Piz Gloria Stuff takes places around the actual day) Clearly OHMSS is more Christmas based at least chronologically and portions of the film then It's a Wonderful life. True the first third of the film takes place late summer-late fall but still all the Piz Gloria stuff is happening within a few days around Christmas. So I would Argue at least compared to It's a Wonderful Life it's a Christmas film true Die Hard Home Alone and A Chrismtas Carol take place much closer to the day and focus really all their Film on December but when compared to It's a Wonderful Life OHMSS meets the first Criteria.

Now lets talk about the second how integral is Christmas and how many references to the holiday. Again I picked It's a Wonderful Life for a reason ok yes George interrupts the family getting ready for Christmas in a sad moment and the end of the film as the scene everyone knows and loves but that's again really it. the family could be getting ready for really any big holiday and the film could still technically work. Thanksgiving it's the Dinner bell to sit down at the end. Easter perhaps a Bell on the young girls easter basket or dress (hell the whole plot of losing ones life and coming back to life make the film weird feel much more in tune with holy week then Christmas) Comparing it to OHMSS there are a few good one liners referring to Christmas "Maybe you should of been gift wrapped" "Merry Christmas 007" and of course "I am going to send the UN my Yuletide Greetings" all of this feels extremely christmasy but before you argue couldn't OHMSS work in july or any other time of month... no not really the idea of sending girls home on Christmas break with Virus in hand many customs agents wouldn't think twice about it. I mean sure NOW they would ( I mean when I get on a flight I also have my colonoscopy at the same time it seems) but in 1969 I have to think Christmas played into Blofeld's hands and was the safest and smartest way to smuggle the vials of poison out to the different countries. At least that is my thought and feel free to disagree.

The third of course is the themes of Christmas (which taking things from a biblilcal point of view is about having Faith, acting on that faith, miracles, family, and to be honest love) OHMSS really does have all of this. Now Bond I always felt was a respectful Agnostic does he believe in God well not not exactly but the fact he has gotten out of so many tough jams I would imagine he would think something or someone is looking out for him. As for the respectful part as long as you don't use releigion to attack London I don't think he cares what anyone believes or doesn't believe. With that out of the way lets talk about Faith Bond getting out of Piz Gloria by Hanging on the Cable wire sure it's due to his training and Skill but lets be honest here the whole escape relies on Faith and a miracle. Bond has Faith the guards will be to preoccupied to even notice him. Tracey showing up is a miracle. And even in the beginning the two weeks leave scene we all know it's Moneypenny being Moneypenny but thematically couldn't one argue she is acting on faith as well Faith the bond in 2 weeks will find Blofeld or get it out of his system Faith that if he does find Blofeld M will allow him to continue his investigations. Sure we as the audience know ultimately Bond will find Blofeld but M and Moneypenny don't know that. So again there is a lot of Fiath a lot of acting on faith and a few miracles but what about love and Family well There are two Families at play here bond's Work Family with Mas a father Figure and dealing with him but also dealing with his future Father in Law Draco. Bond Falling in love with Tracy is also key. Again before OHMSS the women were there to be slept with and not much more. Plus the wedding scene shows the families coming together with M and Draco comparing notes about how the head of the Biritsh Secret Service has nearly gotten the head of the Union Syndicate a bunch of times but failed. The themes of Family do run though out the film with banging you over the head with it (an issue Skyfall and Spectre have yes I get it Mendes likes to do films about family fantastic can we move on please)

So based on the criteria above yeah OHMSS is a Christmas film. So what do you all think?

Comments

My Dad has got a Christmas CD compilation which has We Have All the Time in the World on it, so whoever put that CD together does!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It's a Christmas movie to me. :D
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    This is an important question. And yes, without a doubt, OHMSS is a Christmas movie.

In fact, it was voted the n°1 festive season film by 'Christmas Annual' - the foremost authority on Yuletide themed light-entertainment.
    Huh? Of course it is. No one ever questions that.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    No, but I'd rather watch that than Home Alone.
    I watch it every Christmas morning ageter opening my presents. Open them now.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I don't know of anyone who has said OHMSS isn't a Christmas film. It's set during the Christmas period, plenty of snow, Christmas songs, hot chicks sharing Christmas gifts...Yeah OHMSS has the Christmas feels.
    Risico007 and I have some very similar ideas , I have always argued to my brother (who loves it's a wonderful life) that it isn't a Christmas film. However after much recent discussion I think I'm wrong, the best way to define a Christmas film is whether or not you can properly enjoy it outside of December.
    I would never choose to watch Miracle on 34th st, Santa Claus the movie or It's a wonderful life in March and neither do tv schedulers for that matter but I'll happily watch OHMSS at any time. So I have to conclude that OHMSS isn't a Christmas film. Now comes the hard part (admitting that I was wrong about something to my brother.)
    It's got Blofeld saying "Merry Christmas OO7" and even has a Christmas song ("Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown?"). Plus the film takes place during Christmastime and features tons of snow. Of course it's a Christmas film!
    Well, of course it is a Christmas movie!
    How many other Christmas movies have such a 'happy' ending!
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,098
    I can't believe this question is even being discussed.

answer:- of course OHMSS is a xmas movie.
    yogi1 wrote: »

Good point, it isn't exactly a feel good ending like most other xmas movies

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It isn t, any Disney classic is a Christmas movie.

That said, it is the definitive Christmas Bond movie.
    yogi1 wrote: »

But Christmas has also a very dark side to it, which OHMSS, both movie and novel, embrace completely.
    True when Christ was 2 herod did try to kill him by killing al the children in Bethlehem so there was definitely a dark side to it.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    It isn t, any Disney classic is a Christmas movie.

I've only ever seen one Disney film in my life.

Bond, on the other hand, for those of us who were kids in the 80s is part of the Christmas Day ritual.

Presents (usually Star Wars toys), Christmas dinner, Queens speech and Bond on ITV.

I always force the missus to watch a Bond on Christmas Day (and being a foreigner she can't comprehend why).

Personally for true 80s nostalgia I prefer a Rog film but any will do and OHMSS with its cheesy Christmas song, heartwarming tale of love on the ice rink, a mention of egg nog and lashings of snow and I've couldn't be more Christmassy.

Diana Rigg with a bullet in her head leaves the family in a more cheerful mood than any schmaltzy Disney tale about talking animals if you ask me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Which Disney film is that, Kronsteen?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    The Jungle Book as I recall. Don't ask me to tell you one thing about it though.

Isn't there a tiger in it?

Anyway hardly in Bond's league is it?
    Here is what I wrote on my Facebook page about the novel:
    'Tis the season to be reading. Today's suggestion: On Her Majesty's Secret Service, by Ian Fleming. The one where James Bond gets married. Too often we forget the rest of the novel, which is one of Fleming's finest. Blofeld is back after a brief introduction in the previous novel, Thunderball, but completely shapeshifted and with his deadliest scheme. The novel borrows heavily from the first part of Dracula, but in a completely different genre and setting. But at the core, it is a Christmas story: set in the season, with snowy Switzerland, gluttony of all sorts, turkey, stuffing, alcohol, stockings, people who get naughty and nice. And like all good Christmas stories, this one has a very dark side: death abounds, Blofeld is a Krampus posing as Santa Claus, James Bond falls for a woman with suicidal tendencies... Maybe my favorite Bond novel, maybe even my favorite Christmas novel.

I should have added: there is also a allegorical Massacre of the Innocents, one averted (with the destruction of livestock), another successful. There is definitely a Census, Blofeld could easily be seen as having a bit of King Herod in him... Okay, maybe I am going too far in the Sacred, but the profane Christmas is definitely present in OHMSS.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I asked the same question last week. I'm convinced that it is
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,009
    It is, as it is Die Hard or Batman Returns. IMHO, all movies where Xmas is pivotal or heavily featured in the plot and/or general atmosphere should qualify. Even the horror and the parody ones.
    It is, as it is Die Hard or Batman Returns. IMHO, all movies where Xmas is pivotal or heavily featured in the plot and/or general atmosphere should qualify. Even the horror and the parody ones.

Gremlins is the ultimate Xmas film. And the funniest.
    I prefer OHMSS to Gremlins as a Christmas movie.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    I wouldn't call OHMSS a Christmas movie. It's a movie in which it just happens to be Christmas at one point during it.

The key point for me is whether you would watch it at any time of year or only at Christmas. In this case it's clearly the former.
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    I wouldn't call OHMSS a Christmas movie. It's a movie in which it just happens to be Christmas at one point during it.

The key point for me is whether you would watch it at any time of year or only at Christmas. In this case it's clearly the former.

Ah yes, but it was voted the n°1 festive season film by 'Christmas Annual' - the foremost authority on Yuletide themed light-entertainment...
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I tend to watch it around Christmas time nowadays. At least when he arrives at Piz Gloria.
    I tend to watch it around Christmas time nowadays. At least when he arrives at Piz Gloria.

Yes the whole journey to Piz Gloria has a cosy Christmas feel to it. Even more so for those of us who often went skiing around Xmas...
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,009
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I prefer OHMSS to Gremlins as a Christmas movie.

Anathemaaaaaaa ;)) I prefer Gremlins as a Xmas movie overall (as a movie overall... I guess Gremlins and OHMSS would be quite paired on my list), but there's no acounting about taste. And even less if the taste is good.
    Their is a theme of Christmas there, but i do not class it as a Christmas movie.