SPECTRE: What would you have done differently?

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I was thinking about this topic a lot recently. Overall, I'd make SP less of a personal affair that does not tie in SF to its plot. How I would change SP:

PTS
    Redo the music (aside from Los Muertos Vivos Estan). Cut the collapsing building. Keep everything else.

London
    The current M had asked Bond to kill Sciarra quietly, so he reprimands Bond, until he produces the ring. M does not ground Bond, but accepts the ring and assigns him the mission of uncovering this organisation. Bond exits and meets Moneypenny in the antechamber like in the old continuity, asking her to look up the Pale King. C does not exist.
    The next day Bond is led to Q's workshop by Tanner on the boat. He is equipped with the fancy car and maybe one reasonable gadget (not an exploding watch, which directly conflicts with what Q said one movie ago about not going in for exploding pens). Bond is going to Rome to attend the funeral, hopeful for a lead. Q returns the ring to Bond.

Rome
    As normal till the meeting. He does not recognise 'Oberhauser,' there is no such character. Bond escapes and is pursued by Hinx in a car chase that's maybe less jokey and rougher and more intense. Bond receives a call from Moneypenny only after the chase, who tells Bond that the Pale King is Mr. White.

Austria
    Bond meets White, who explains that Quantum collapsed soon after Bond foiled their plot in Bolivia. One of its senior members, Ernst Stavro Blofeld, took control over what was left, and radicalised people across the globe to join a new organisation that was a 'ghost' of Quantum - Spectre. White is in hiding because he has critical information that could compromise Spectre. White tells Bond where to find Madeleine and shoots himself.
    Bond meets Madeleine and after she tells him to leave, he sees Hinx and his men coming. Bond tells her she has to go with him, and she makes a split-second decision to trust him. They escape from Hinx in a car. Hinx, seeing no other option, commandeers a plane. Hence, the roles are reversed and hopefully this makes a little more sense, since Hinx is trying to kill Bond, in the actual movie, Bond was trying to save Madeleine which didn't make sense because he was endangering her. In the end, Hinx crashes the plane into Bond's car and they tumble down a short slope. Bond is unscathed but Madeleine has a large gash on her arm and blames Bond. The next scene is quiet and emotional; Bond helps to bandage her and she talks to him of Spectre and L'Americain.

Tangier
    Mostly the same up until they meet Blofeld. No torture scene, instead, a dinner scene where Blofeld explains his plan of Nine Eyes. Blofeld explains that attacks have been planned in various spots around the globe like in the PTS, therefore much like the film. Blofeld tells Bond that he wants revenge against him for interfering in CR and ruining them in QOS. As Nine Eyes is about to go online, Bond and Madeleine escape and in a massive shootout they stop it from going online. Blofeld escapes safely with his cat, but has a scar. This really is the climax of the film and hence the end, but I came up with an alternate way to write the London sequence as well which could add on easily.

London
    Tanner is driving Bond to the safe house where Madeleine is. When he gets there, she's gone and a man is dead with his eyes gouged out. Bond is suddenly jumped by Hinx and rendered unconscious. Taken to Mi6. Cut the Bond posters and pictures of Le Chiffre and M etc. Bond meets a vengeful Blofeld who turns on the light in the back of the room to reveal Madeleine tied to an explosive, then switches on the timer and flees. Hinx appears to stall Bond. Bond kills him and breaks past the glass, frees Madeleine, then gets into the boat and escapes as Mi6 explodes. Bond shoots at the helicopter multiple times and it turns around. One of Blofeld's men begins shooting at Bond when Bond retaliates with a signal flare. I don't know where he would've gotten it from but if you're making a homage party AVTAK deserves a real homage. Anyway the signal flare stuffs up the helicopter and it crashes on the bridge. Bond reaches Blofeld, finding him unconscious, but survived. As Tanner appears with M at the bridge to apprehend Blofeld, Bond returns to the boat, kisses Madeleine, and speeds down the Thames with her into the night. Obviously it's still flawed which is why Tangier should be the end.
    GBF wrote: »
    @IncompetentHenchman

I like your version more but still everything seems a bit forced and I still have many problems with it, if I am honest.
    I still can't really see what role Madeleine is playing in that film. In all former Bond films the Bond girls had a particular role to play. They had a particular part and - even if they were often poorly acted - were essential to the actual plot. Madeleine who has much screen time never really seem to have anything to do with the main plot. And there is just no reason why SPECTRE should kidnap or kill her especially since Mr. White is dead.

They should have made her more essential to the plot. Give her some basic skills or knowledge that make her important for Bond. And don't try to make another Vesper out of her. It is not believable that Bond falls in love with every girl he knows for a day.

I have also still problems with the transition from Quantum to SPECTRE. If Quantum had been destroyed why are they able to build up an even more dangerous and powerfull organisation in a few years? Why should they even rename it and where is the difference at all, if the characters (i.e. Mr. White) remain the same? Here is one of the biggest flaws of the whole movie. They want to force continuity which is just not there. They just put every villain from the former Bond films and said they had been part of SPECTRE but that is just an awfull and completely unrealistic idea that makes no sense. And I don't really see how they could have done this better. They just shouldn't have tried it but build up a new and isolated story. Maybe they could have used Mr. White again by telling that he has left Quantum after Green had been killed.

Finally, the climax should have been in the crater. I agree. But here they should have been more creative, how they stopped Blofeld. Goldeneye did that Actually pretty well and they could have gone in a similar direction. Maybe they could have given Madeleine some skills that might have helped there (like Natalya) and maybe Bond could have fought against Hinx in a final fight whereas Blofeld manages to escape. I find both, Hinx and Blofeld to be completely underused in Spectre. Hinx dies much too early and Blofeld being arrested in the end makes him a weak villain, too.

I would have prefered if Hinx actually wins the fight over Bond on the train and takes him and Madeleine to the crater. This would have made so much more sense. This would have made Hinx a much more competent henchman and it would have been possible to have a final fight between Bond and Hinx.

Decent suggestions chaps and immeasurably better than what we got.

Regarding @GBF's worries that Madeline has no point what if we dont kill White off in the chalet?

Instead Hinx bursts in on Bond and White's conversation, we have a fight smashing f**k out of the wooden furniture (think the Raiders bar fight with less Nazis) and a finale of Bond being launched off a balcony into the lake with Hinx thinking he's dead. Hinx then kidnaps White for some reason (Blofeld wants to torture him, White has some information they need).

Bond then goes on to Madeline as she is his only link to finding White now. Things proceed as normal (ditch the plane chase and have a chase between cars and Bond on skis) but then with the train fight Bond is again beaten by Hinx who then takes them both to the lair.

At the lair Blofeld reveals himself (as Blofeld - Oberhauser doesnt exist) and we have a dinner sequence with a badly f**ked up White where Blofeld explains everything about his plans and how Quantum was usurped by SPECTRE (I agree with you I dont like it but otherwise Mr White has no reason to be there and if we lose that angle we really are back to square one).

Then we move to the torture room where it is Madeline who is about to be tortured but White coughs up what Blofeld wants to know and is then killed for his trouble. A disappointed Blofeld then decides to torture Bond instead (not sure about all this but I want somebody tortured).

Bond escapes and we have a GE style finale with Bond thwarting things and blowing everything up, Blofeld escaping and a fight to the death between Bond and Hinx.

Ditch the London stuff.

Dont end up with Blofeld in prison as that just means in the next film you have to have him escape.

Still needs plenty of polish but we are getting it into better shape.
    Its scary how many suggestions are better than the actual film.
  • GBFGBF
    Indeed, Spectre actually had so much potential. A great cast and great visual effects and some good ideas but the script has so many problem. Look at all these great actors amd they are all underused ...
  • I like both of your ideas. GBF I'm glad you liked it and your points are really good. Madeleine should be more important to the plot, I hadn't thought about that. I like the comparison made to Natalya in the finale, where Bond needed her skills to disable the GoldenEye, that could work here also.

I admit the idea about Spectre evolving from Quantum is far-fetched and full of holes but I did want to link SP to CR and QOS because I feel it is unrealistic to introduce a second global omnipotent criminal syndicate and claim that the two are unrelated.

Wizard, I'm quite fond of the idea of not killing White, that would be good. I doubt he could realistically have too many scenes of course since Christensen didn't like CR or QOS and probably only came back on the condition that he'd be killed off. Oh and a ski chase is really overdue I think I've been waiting for one since TWINE, a good one since FYEO.
    I like both of your ideas. GBF I'm glad you liked it and your points are really good. Madeleine should be more important to the plot, I hadn't thought about that. I like the comparison made to Natalya in the finale, where Bond needed her skills to disable the GoldenEye, that could work here also.

I admit the idea about Spectre evolving from Quantum is far-fetched and full of holes but I did want to link SP to CR and QOS because I feel it is unrealistic to introduce a second global omnipotent criminal syndicate and claim that the two are unrelated.

Wizard, I'm quite fond of the idea of not killing White, that would be good. I doubt he could realistically have too many scenes of course since Christensen didn't like CR or QOS and probably only came back on the condition that he'd be killed off. Oh and a ski chase is really overdue I think I've been waiting for one since TWINE, a good one since FYEO.

I thought that they were related?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    No mention at all of Vesper, Greene, Silva and Dench M. It wasn't necessary at all.
    Either make Oberhauser Blofeld right from the beginning or not at all and let him just be Oberhauser.

With those minor adjustments SPECTRE would be in the league of FRWL and OHMSS.

Personally I love SPECTRE nonetheless, it was the best cinematic experience since GoldenEye.
  • GBFGBF
    No mention at all of Vesper, Greene, Silva and Dench M. It wasn't necessary at all.
    Either make Oberhauser Blofeld right from the beginning or not at all and let him just be Oberhauser.

Personally I love SPECTRE nonetheless, it was the best cinematic experience since GoldenEye.

I am happy that you liked Spectre (more than me) but what do you think about the final climax, especially when compared to Goldeneye? Don't you think it was a bit rushed and that there were too many things going on in the 3rd act? Wouldn't it have been better if the climax had taken place in the crater in the way it was made in GE?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Or, call the movie The Death Collector as originally planned, and deny any links to the organization until Oberhauser reveals himself as Blofeld.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @GBF

I am probably in the minority but I loved the London climax. Would the movie have ended after the Crater sequence, it would have felt like QOS, too short.

The London climax is very suspenseful, great atmosphere and I love that ruined MI6 building. The set builders have outdone themselves there.

Also the symmetry that Mendes created with starting the movie in a helicopter and ending it with one is just great. The bridge sequence is perfect in my opinion.

Also SP has the best ending of any Bond movie, except maybe OHMSS.

Bond walking towards Swann and then fading out.
    The last scene with Bond driving away with Swann in London in that great car.

@jake24

That would have been great. I do like the title SPECTRE but The Death Collector would have been fabulous too!
    Also the symmetry that Mendes created with starting the movie in a helicopter and ending it with one is just great.

Youre right. I hadnt noticed that. Thats a directorial flourish worthy of a Kieslowski or an Eisenstein. I take it all back now - SP is actually a work of genius.

Shame Guy Hamilton already did the same thing 41 years earlier with the fun house.
  • vzok wrote: »
    I like both of your ideas. GBF I'm glad you liked it and your points are really good. Madeleine should be more important to the plot, I hadn't thought about that. I like the comparison made to Natalya in the finale, where Bond needed her skills to disable the GoldenEye, that could work here also.

I thought that they were related?

Sorry it is, I mean it in a different context in reply to GBF.
    Also the symmetry that Mendes created with starting the movie in a helicopter and ending it with one is just great.

Youre right. I hadnt noticed that. Thats a directorial flourish worthy of a Kieslowski or an Eisenstein. I take it all back now - SP is actually a work of genius.

Shame Guy Hamilton already did the same thing 41 years earlier with the fun house.

Yes we've seen symmetry before... OP begins with planes and clowns and ends with clowns and planes. DAD begins and ends in North Korea. GF begins and ends with someone being electrocuted.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited September 2016 Posts: 5,983
    The film went wrong so very early. The gunbarrel is a disaster. It should have opened up on the giant skeleton head. Show, don't tell, that "the dead are alive." No suspense to the quote whatsoever, especially given the title.

At the end of the PTS, Bond stares at the ring so. damn. long. We get it, Mendes.

The conference scene goes on forever and misses the fun trope of *Blofeld* killing the errant Spectre member (show him in cahoots with Sciarra in Mexico). Blofeld could summon Hinx to gouge out his eyes.

In Tokyo, why does Tanner rat out Bond to M? He's his best friend in the service! Mendes needed to go back and actually read the books.

Madeleine is a complete bungle. She's actually great when she's cold and haughty in Austria (shades of Tracy) and when she melts a bit/drinks in Tangier, but given that it's the longest Bond movie of all time, there needed to be a few more scenes where she starts falling for Bond before they fall into bed. Cut other scenes to make room for Bond/Madeleine...I humbly suggest all the C/M scenes, which gives the love story a much-needed at least 15 more minutes to breathe if we are to believe that Bond leaves the service for her.

Oberhauser should have just been Oberhauser--his personal vendetta even okay. The dynamic should have been a rough remake of TB, with Oberhauser the neo-Largo and keep Blofeld mostly in the shadows (at least until the crater).

Add consequences to the drilling. Bond loses his memory? Madeleine rescues him a la Tracy at the ice rink?

And on and on...
    That drilling needed so much more after it. Bond should have stumbled. CR had him recovering in a hostpital. Hell even in SF he was still off kilter after the PTS.
    Gettler wrote: »
    That drilling needed so much more after it. Bond should have stumbled. CR had him recovering in a hostpital. Hell even in SF he was still off kilter after the PTS.
    Yes, after Craig has been shown to be vulnerable and breakable in his other films, to have the horrific drill apparatus do nothing was a major misstep.
  • GBFGBF
    Milovy wrote: »
    Yes, after Craig has been shown to be vulnerable and breakable in his other films, to have the horrific drill apparatus do nothing was a major misstep.

I think this highlights a particular problem that I have with the film, that they tried to put in too many elements, but none of these is really developed very well. This applies to the torture scene as well as the relationship between Bond and Madeleine and the Bond/Oberhauser backstory. Also the Spectre concept does not really work.
    One thing that did annoy about SP was that ,after getting the crap beaten out of him by Hinx,Bond hasn't a scratch on him !!!

Compared to CR and QOS ,that was inconsistent and annoying....
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    No step brother crap.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    No step brother crap.

Not wanting to open up a massive can of worms, but for everyone who hates this, what is the problem?

To me is seems like a bit of hokey melodrama, but it is a bit of a nothing to me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    echo wrote: »
    The film went wrong so very early. The gunbarrel is a disaster. It should have opened up on the giant skeleton head. Show, don't tell, that "the dead are alive." No suspense to the quote whatsoever, especially given the title.

At the end of the PTS, Bond stares at the ring so. damn. long. We get it, Mendes.

The conference scene goes on forever and misses the fun trope of *Blofeld* killing the errant Spectre member (show him in cahoots with Sciarra in Mexico). Blofeld could summon Hinx to gouge out his eyes.

In Tokyo, why does Tanner rat out Bond to M? He's his best friend in the service! Mendes needed to go back and actually read the books.

Madeleine is a complete bungle. She's actually great when she's cold and haughty in Austria (shades of Tracy) and when she melts a bit/drinks in Tangier, but given that it's the longest Bond movie of all time, there needed to be a few more scenes where she starts falling for Bond before they fall into bed. Cut other scenes to make room for Bond/Madeleine...I humbly suggest all the C/M scenes, which gives the love story a much-needed at least 15 more minutes to breathe if we are to believe that Bond leaves the service for her.

Oberhauser should have just been Oberhauser--his personal vendetta even okay. The dynamic should have been a rough remake of TB, with Oberhauser the neo-Largo and keep Blofeld mostly in the shadows (at least until the crater).

Add consequences to the drilling. Bond loses his memory? Madeleine rescues him a la Tracy at the ice rink?

And on and on...
    I'm essentially in agreement with everything you've said.

Re: the C/M scenes: sadly I suspect that this was engineered to give Fiennes something to do (since he objected to being the traitor as per the script leaks), and is an unfortunate consequence of casting high calibre actors with 'still impressive careers' in supporting roles.

I recommend they not do this going forward, but rather find a reputable older actor who will be happy with a smaller role in the films. There are numerous choices available from GoT alone.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited September 2016 Posts: 5,983
    bondjames wrote: »

And on and on...
    I'm essentially in agreement with everything you've said.

Re: the C/M scenes: sadly I suspect that this was engineered to give Fiennes something to do (since he objected to being the traitor as per the script leaks), and is an unfortunate consequence of casting high calibre actors with 'still impressive careers' in supporting roles.

I recommend they not do this going forward, but rather find a reputable older actor who will be happy with a smaller role in the films. There are numerous choices available from GoT alone.

Yes, I agree that that was why the C story was there. I'm not quite sure how to solve that problem: Dame Dench didn't seem to be bothered by a small subplot. And while I like Scott, his acting style was all wrong for a Craig Bond film. In a Brosnan or Moore film, he would have been fine.

I didn't like the C story also because the stakes did not feel high (the BBC/CNN clips notwithstanding). Someone in that storyline--other than C--needed to die.

Maybe someone like Tanner, which goes against the books but whose current portrayal as M's unofficial secretary is really not working for me. His scenes in SP could easily have been handled by Moneypenny or Q.

Or maybe M could have died in some self-sacrificing gesture. Give us a new M every film--shades of The Prisoner!

I think it's time to give Tanner a rest and have him only pop up when a film demands it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Mendes films have taught me that drink and drugs is much worse for you than a drill through your brain.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117

No point to 'The dead are alive' subtitle at all except Mendes thinking hes being clever (its a very subtle reference to Obeerhauser. Do you see? Its bloody brilliant). Why are EON scared to say to him that the GB not being f**ked with is more important than Mendes thinking hes Ingmar Bergmann? We already had to forgo the GB in SF because Mendes' amazing opening shot couldnt be touched. I dont care what your opening shot is twat. Its the 50th anniversary Bond film I want the GB up front and the Bond theme at full blast.

Yep. For once a valid criticism of Tanner's bungled character that cant be levelled at Rory.

Cant argue with that in the slightest.

If they go with this then I can live with the stepbrother bullshit and as has already been stated it would be far better to have Blofeld in the shadows this time round making him the main villain further down the line.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Apologies for double post but for some reason it didnt show the second half of my post

Had Bond been stumbling all over the place as they escaped and Madeline been the one shooting the guards and saving him this would have turned a pedestrian sequence into something suspenseful and important in building their relationship (a la Tracy saving the day at the ice rink). Its already been set up on the train that she knows how to handle a gun and it could climax with her getting into a fight with one of the guards and a groggy Bond dives in to help and it ends with them both saving each other by strangling the guy to death or something.

Instead lets just have the drill enhance Bond's marksmanship with not even one bullet astray as he takes the guards out tediously easily.

And on and on...

Exactly. Could go on all night. These decisions all seem so obvious. Why was no one involved in making the film able to see it?
    barryt007 wrote: »
    One thing that did annoy about SP was that ,after getting the crap beaten out of him by Hinx,Bond hasn't a scratch on him !!!

Craig's biggest fight of his tenure and yet nothing. The SP fight as just a fight is probably slightly better. But the CR stairwell fight as a total sequence and a character study (ending with a battered Bond looking in the mirror) blows it away. And I thought Mendes was the Oscar winning director and Martin Campbell the bloke who made The Green Lantern?
    bondjames wrote: »

Judi Dench managed just giving Bond his mission in GE and her CV shits on Fiennes. I think its been more EON saying to themselves 'We've got a big name playing M so we need to give them more screen time.'

Judi's screen time increased exponentially with each film and now they've just carried it on with Fiennes. At the current rate M will have more lines than Bond by B30.
    vzok wrote: »

Not wanting to open up a massive can of worms, but for everyone who hates this, what is the problem?

To me is seems like a bit of hokey melodrama, but it is a bit of a nothing to me.

Jesus.

I didn't like the C story also because the stakes did not feel high (the BBC/CNN clips notwithstanding). Someone in that storyline--other than C--needed to die.

Maybe someone like Tanner, which goes against the books but whose current portrayal as M's unofficial secretary is really not working for me. His scenes in SP could easily have been handled by Moneypenny or Q.

I see your point but how is killing off someone no one has even noticed is in the film in the first place raising the stakes?
    I think it's time to give Tanner a rest and have him only pop up when a film demands it.

Difficult to imagine a situation where we need him to pop up but I'm all in favour of getting shot of him ASAP.
    GBF wrote: »

I think this highlights a particular problem that I have with the film, that they tried to put in too many elements, but none of these is really developed very well. This applies to the torture scene as well as the relationship between Bond and Madeleine and the Bond/Oberhauser backstory. Also the Spectre concept does not really work.

This highlights why SP generates such 'passion' for want of a better word.

It is not because it is complete shit people are so annoyed (count myself in that category). Its because it had the potential to be so good and they went and totally pissed it up the wall.

Lets be fair its clearly a far better film than a DAF or a TMWTGG but the reason it seems to get so hammered is the disappointment we all feel of what could have been.

Just implementing a few of the suggestions in this thread would have improved it immeasurably but they made shocking decision after shocking decision and that exasperates us no end.

It is just flabbergasting how it turned out when with just the tiny amount of effort we have gone to in this thread it could have easily been licked into very good shape.

Probably not enough to challenge the big 3 of FRWL, OHMSS and CR but certainly there was enough there if they kept their heads and their sanity (f**king stepbrothergate? How can anyone at EON sign off on that?) for it to be comfortably top 10, maybe top 5.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Just one of several inconsistencies in the worlds of Craig's individual films that make it impossible for me to see them as connected.
    vzok wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    No step brother crap.

For me, the major issue with the idea is how much it shrinks Bond's world. Bond is supposed to be an anonymous operative who is sent out to sabotage threats to Britain and the world. Bond is supposed to confront "others," if you will. It's an old-fashioned, colonial sort of idea. But to shrink the entire world down so that it revolves around Bond - Bond influenced Oberhauser's path in life, as he claims - means there are no "others" anymore. If it weren't for Bond, the monsters of Blofeld and Spectre wouldn't exist. A hero creating their villains or being the centre of the universe works for some stories (Batman, Star Wars), but not for others. James Bond is not supposed to be a "special" character who was destined to do what he does. He is supposed to be replaceable, just one of many 00s, who chooses a life of danger in the name of serving his country.

Some of the older films bungle up the idea that Bond is anonymous, too, by making Bond semi-famous within the intelligence or criminal community, but at least that idea only suggests that Bond has built a reputation, which is believable enough.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Some great ideas floating round here and I agree with a lot of them. I can totally overlook the majority of the films mishaps becuase I rate the good bits so highly. Having said that though the film is of course flawed in more ways that one. Here's what I would change, Some are only minor but I think would make for better viewing.

The dead are alive subtitle doesn't work. The gunbarrel score is boring aswell, newman should've experimented a bit instead of borrowing Arnold and added more oomph to it. The tracking shot isn't as good as made out and it takes me out of it everytime when they enter the hotel. I don't like how Dan plays the kiss with sigman either, doesn't work for me the way he holds his head and looks at her. I'd have bond skip over the window railing ala the bannister in QOS rather than stepping over it like my nan. I realise dans knee might have something to do with that and that he's playing a more seasoned bond, but it still annoys me somewhat that he doesn't seem that mobile in the PTS ( see chase through DOTD festival that had to be altered , yes I know because of dans knee injury).
    The blowing up of the building that sciarra is in by filmmakers who pride themselves on being the best is woeful. The overuse of green screen and crap special effects and materials looks exactly like it is, shite. I wouldn't have bond land on a couch either and would've told Dan to f off with that terrible idea. The whole helicopter stunt and fight sequence is a bit of a miss also. For a stunt that was done for real, mendes doesn't half do a great job of making it look fake. Why the overly long focus on the chopper? We should've seen wide shots of that stunt and yet we get amateurish looking and badly staged action not helped by new newman rehashing SF. The sequence is devoid of any sort of tension or excitement, culminating in the awful shots we get when it's quite clear that bond isn't going to crash and will pull up, seriously disappointing. The what seems like 10 minute long shot of the ring is poor aswell.

Christ could be here a while .... I'll post back after I've made the Mrs a brew.

DCisared wrote: »
    Some great ideas floating round here and I agree with a lot of them. I can totally overlook the majority of the films mishaps becuase I rate the good bits so highly. Having said that though the film is of course flawed in more ways that one. Here's what I would change, Some are only minor but I think would make for better viewing.

The dead are alive subtitle doesn't work. The gunbarrel score is boring aswell, newman should've experimented a bit instead of borrowing Arnold and added more oomph to it. The tracking shot isn't as good as made out and it takes me out of it everytime when they enter the hotel. I don't like how Dan plays the kiss with sigman either, doesn't work for me the way he holds his head and looks at her. I'd have bond skip over the window railing ala the bannister in QOS rather than stepping over it like my nan. I realise dans knee might have something to do with that and that he's playing a more seasoned bond, but it still annoys me somewhat that he doesn't seem that mobile in the PTS ( see chase through DOTD festival that had to be altered , yes I know because of dans knee injury).
    The blowing up of the building that sciarra is in by filmmakers who pride themselves on being the best is woeful. The overuse of green screen and crap special effects and materials looks exactly like it is, shite. I wouldn't have bond land on a couch either and would've told Dan to f off with that terrible idea. The whole helicopter stunt and fight sequence is a bit of a miss also. For a stunt that was done for real, mendes doesn't half do a great job of making it look fake. Why the overly long focus on the chopper? We should've seen wide shots of that stunt and yet we get amateurish looking and badly staged action not helped by new newman rehashing SF. The sequence is devoid of any sort of tension or excitement, culminating in the awful shots we get when it's quite clear that bond isn't going to crash and will pull up, seriously disappointing. The what seems like 10 minute long shot of the ring is poor aswell.

Christ could be here a while .... I'll post back after I've made the Mrs a brew.

Thats the PTS dealt with! Take your time son.

By the time youre done this will be as long as War & Peace.
  • GBFGBF
    @wizardofice

missed potential and missed opportunity certainly is a reason for my disappointment. They had the money, they had the cast, they had the time to produce the film properly, they had the legal rights, they had the cinematography, however, they did not have a good script :-)

Of course all the promising incrediants I mentioned above make this film look great and you may think, this film may not please you but it cannot be bad either. There are indeed a few very good scenes in that film). However, I personally think that the script is just bad and that a bad script can never make a good film. You can ruin a good script by bad film making, but you cannot save a film when it is based on a bad script....
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 2,115
    A few points referenced above.

1. What's the big deal about Blofeld being Bond's foster brother?

Well...
    a) It's not Fleming. A lot in the film series isn't Fleming either except...
    b) All this fan talk about how the Craig films "are just like Fleming." (Except, of course, for Mathis being a double agent, but that usually doesn't get referenced). It's a pretty major change for something that is "just like Fleming." Not to mention...
    c) It's just like Austin Powers/Dr. Evil. That gets a raise out of some people because...
    d) Remember all that talk ("Austin Power f***ed us.") that the series had to be rebooted because of Austin Powers?

2. Re: the gunbarrel..."Why are EON scared to say to him (Mendes) that the GB not being f**ked with is more important than Mendes thinking hes Ingmar Bergmann?"

It could be that Eon's current generation isn't all that fond of the gunbarrel, except as a marketing device. Remember, in 2012, Barbara Broccoli refused to say if the gunbarrel would be at the start of Bond 24. "It will vary from film to film."

http://www.heyuguys.com/the-heyuguys-interview-skyfall-michael-g-wilson-barbara-broccolli/

Perhaps, just perhaps, Barbara Broccoli is in the same camp as posters on this and other 007 bulletin boards who write things such as, "I can't believe you guys care so much about the gunbarrel!"

3. "Judi's screen time increased exponentially with each film and now they've just carried it on with Fiennes. At the current rate M will have more lines than Bond by B30."

Based on the current rate of production, we won't have to worry about that until sometime between 2033 and 2039.

How was Mr. White protecting his daughter when Blofeld clearly knew of her existence? Im assuming it was her location then? Because he said Hoffler Clinic in the camera I guess, but if SPECTRE knew where white was this whole time how hard could it have been to find her? I feel this was another underdeveloped part of the film. White needed a bigger role and purpose. Blofeld or Hinx should have executed him infront of Bond and Madeline at the crater.
  • GBFGBF
    Well yes a good Point. In general, the film does not manage to balance SPECTRE's skills and weaknesses. It is often mentioned in the film how mighty they are and that they are informed about everything and that they are so extremely dangerous. At the same time their plans are prevented too easy and too often by Bond. In all the other Bond films you usually have a villain with one particular plan and one lair. The destruction of the plan and the lair is the climax of the film and Bond needs to struggle for it. In Spectre there is just too much going on in the 3rd Act.