SPECTRE: What would you have done differently?

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    I seem to recall Barry complaining about the time pressures more than once in Burlingame's The Music of James Bond book.

And Barry was a genius, whereas as Newman is merely a well connected moderately talented journeyman
  • Like most of you I think that Spectre is mostly disappointing not because it's crap, but because it could have been so much better. Unlimited budget, great talent both sides of the camera, and - finally - the rights to Spectre back in hand.

But very little of that gets put to use. Consider Madeline:

Why do we need to learn that Madeline is handy with a weapon if she literally never defends herself or James and is basically just a damsel in distress the whole time? That's a waste of the actress and the screen time.

Lea is stunningly attractive and a great actor too, with great presence. But she's reduced to a cardboard cutout. We don't need another Halle Berry. But I think it could've been great to put her and James in a more platonic relationship like Olga K - two battered but tough survivors. Imagine if instead of saying "I love you" during the torture scene, she'd simply said something like "I believe in you." Show their connection.

All told there are a lot of moments like this in Spectre. What was the point of the torture scene, if it doesn't hurt Bond, there's no risk of information being leaked, no character development. . . why do we spend time on this? What's the point of the safehouse? What's the point of the Blofeld reveal if it means nothing to anyone on screen? What's the point of the car chase except to - apparently - show off two nice cars and frame a phone call from the office? There's no tension (if anything, it's played for laughs) and nobody fears Hinx's driving skills. They fear his, you know, eye-gouging skills. So yeah, squeeze him into a sports car and have him potter slowly around a deserted city!

Argh.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    When people are seriously comparing Swann to Jinx then I begin to wonder if this is a purely satirical thread.
  • Are people seriously comparing Swann to Jinx?
    I believe the Craig era will be the only one with movies that are linked together that "strongly" (for Bond standard at least).

If Bond 25 sees a new actor as Bond it will not again be a Bond Begins kind of thing. That has been done, and the franchise never repeated itself really.

I am not so sure about that. Making movie franchises that establish a continuity is now the norm. Whether it is the Marvel and DC movie adaptations or Star Wars, Star Trek, what have you, many seem to wish to establish stories within a wider frame, instead of self-contained adventures with recurring characters. It's only logical that Bond follows this trend.

(And before people start claiming that Bond should lead, never follow, get a sense of perspective: Bond, from his literary debut to the movies, always followed to a degree the products of his time. Early Bond movies were influenced by Hitchcock, Fleming was writing following a long tradition of popular fiction, taking his influences from spy thrillers and pulp fiction to more classical literature. You do not create in a vacuum.)
  • octofinger wrote: »
    Are people seriously comparing Swann to Jinx?

I find it ridiculous too. Another Bond fan who wants the "SPECTRE" as it is now to be eliminated from history.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2016 Posts: 4,043
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Maybe making Blofeld more evil. He was the Diet Coke of evil. Only one calorie, not evil enough. Mmm-hmm!

And Silva was like a dozen cans of Red Bull all at once mixed with LSD. And didn't succeed as coming across as evil as well.

I think you'll find it hard for many to disagree with the fact that Silva was far more memorable and his intro alone will go down in Bond history as opposed to vanilla Blofeld which for many is just embarassing and forgettable.

You've got a real hang up with Bardem and I believe you even criticised his Oscar winning performance in No Country For Old Men which is universally raved about.

Being such a Brosnan fan a shallow suspense free jaunt like SPECTRE is going to be heaven and all the villains in that era bar 006 were dreadful so Blofeld lite is going to be great for you.

• edited September 2016 Posts: 11,425
    It's an unusual point of view, I know, but it was SF that set the alarm bells ringing and made feel that we were taking a step back into Brosnan territory. It's amusing to me that after getting universally slammed on here for criticising Mendes's first Bond film, I now hear people making exactly the same criticisms of Spectre.

All I can say folks is that the warning signs were all there back in 2012.

For my money, although I don't regard either of them as classics, SP is a more enjoyable film. But I'm not going to die in a ditch defending Mendes's contributions to Bond. For me his era represents a missed opportunity. Could have been worse, but also should have been a lot better.

For me, SF is a dreary, incoherent mess. I know what good art house cinema is, and I know what good popcorn is, and SF is neither. May be it fills a vanilla hole in the masses's cinematic diets, but it's not for me.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    SP for me is considerably worse than SF and I think most just like it more because it's like a traditional entry as opposed to SF.

SP has no suspense and nothing to stimulate you, if you want to cookie cutter crap of the Brosnan era than so be it but at least SF offered something with some emotion.

It's got plot holes but SPECTRE is far more of a incoherrent mess.

The problem is that many wished for Craig to appear in a traditional entry where he was confident and had swagger but by doing that you rob Craig of what made his Bond so his. Instead it looks and feels like something out of Brosnan's era one of the reason the PB fans seem to love it so much.

I'm actually getting close to thinking because of the potential it's one of the worst of the series, not even the Wiz for all his criticisms thinks it's that bad but for me it's a frustrating mess of a film and I'm not willing to forgive it just because it's part of the Craig era.

It it is his last it will be a shame but hopefully the next time round that they get an actor that gives the role the injection that he has they don't fall back on cliches and pleasing the fan boys with rehashes of stuff that came before.

Up to this film Craig felt like he was giving us a Bond of his own in SPECTRE it feels like he couldn't give a shit.
    I am actually such a Dalton fan.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 11,425
    Shardlake wrote: »
    SP for me is considerably worse than SF and I think most just like it more because it's like a traditional entry as opposed to SF.

SP has no suspense and nothing to stimulate you, if you want to cookie cutter crap of the Brosnan era than so be it but at least SF offered something with some emotion.

It's got plot holes but SPECTRE is far more of a incoherrent mess.

The problem is that many wished for Craig to appear in a traditional entry where he was confident and had swagger but by doing that you rob Craig of what made his Bond so his. Instead it looks and feels like something out of Brosnan's era one of the reason the PB fans seem to love it so much.

I'm actually getting close to thinking because of the potential it's one of the worst of the series, not even the Wiz for all his criticisms thinks it's that bad but for me it's a frustrating mess of a film and I'm not willing to forgive it just because it's part of the Craig era.

It it is his last it will be a shame but hopefully the next time round that they get an actor that gives the role the injection that he has they don't fall back on cliches and pleasing the fan boys with rehashes of stuff that came before.

Up to this film Craig felt like he was giving us a Bond of his own in SPECTRE it feels like he couldn't give a shit.

I felt similarly about SF. I felt it was in SF that we lost the the Craig Bond we'd seen in CR and QOS.

And the homages to GF and trotting out of the DB5 were totally depressing for me when I first saw SF. I sat there thinking - really ? We have to sit through this fan-w***ery again?!

SF falls apart after Silva's Island and just becomes silly, directionless, poorly written, dreary nonsense.

I suppose you can say the same of SP from some point around the crater, but I still prefer it.

• edited September 2016 Posts: 4,600
    I know there are many on the forum who dont care for SF but, as we all know, jo public loved it and I just dont accept that it was all down to the Olympics or anniversaries etc. It got the tone and balance just right. It gave the punters the right mix between action, charactar, dry humour, dark and light, plot etc. It made a shed load of cash and was critically acclaimed. Thats very tough to do (surely non SF fans would have to admit that?). So once you have done all of the hard work and found a good balance, why would you waste that? Why would you abandon that and produce something that is a World away from SF? I have read somewhere that Mendes did not want to produce another SF but that hints to me at artistic ambition and ego getting in the way of giving jo public what they want. Can you imagine if Greengrass applied the same principle to Bourne? There is still room for new, clever plots, new characters and to develop existing characters but it could have been done with the tone, humour and context established withn SF. The golden era of early Bond movies is partly golden IMHO because they found a winning formula and they stuck with it. Punters knew what they were going to get.
  • RC7RC7
    patb wrote: »
    I know there are many on the forum who dont care for SF but, as we all know, jo public loved it and I just dont accept that it was all down to the Olympics or anniversaries etc. It got the tone and balance just right. It gave the punters the right mix between action, charactar, dry humour, dark and light, plot etc. It made a shed load of cash and was critically acclaimed. Thats very tough to do (surely non SF fans would have to admit that?). So once you have done all of the hard work and found a good balance, why would you waste that? Why would you abandon that and produce something that is a World away from SF? I have read somewhere that Mendes did not want to produce another SF but that hints to me at artistic ambition and ego getting in the way of giving jo public what they want. Can you imagine if Greengrass applied the same principle to Bourne? There is still room for new, clever plots, new characters and to develop existing characters but it could have been done with the tone, humour and context established withn SF. The golden era of early Bond movies is partly golden IMHO because they found a winning formula and they stuck with it. Punters knew what they were going to get.

SF was a one off. Mendes knew that and was correct to not make SF Mark II.
    Mendes was in control, who says it was a one off, it would not have been SF Mk2 ,
    people dont refer to the early movies as being the Mk2 of the movie before, they treat them as seperate movies but they share a common thread in style, tone and character. Some of Bond's dialogue and tone in SP, I just dont reconise from SF, its like he is a different person. Have we ever had that when the actor remained the same?
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited September 2016 Posts: 2,252
    Mendes was in control, who says it was a one off, it would not have been SF Mk2 ,
    people dont refer to the early movies as being the Mk2 of the movie before, they treat them as seperate movies but they share a common thread in style, tone and character. Some of Bond's dialogue and tone in SP, I just dont reconise from SF, its like he is a different person. Have we ever had that when the actor remained the same?

Connery from GF on. But especially YOLT and DAF

I put it down to different director
    Sorry, one other point. IF you are going to leave SF behind in terms of tone, style etc, then why not start afresh re the situation? The time line is close and they use Bonds motivation re following Ms orders within the PTS . So, for me, the difference is even greater as Bond's world is the same but Bond himself and the style is so different, its just weird IMHO
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    octofinger wrote: »

Why do we need to learn that Madeline is handy with a weapon if she literally never defends herself or James and is basically just a damsel in distress the whole time? That's a waste of the actress and the screen time.

She saved Bond on the train.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Sorry, one other point. IF you are going to leave SF behind in terms of tone, style etc, then why not start afresh re the situation? The time line is close and they use Bonds motivation re following Ms orders within the PTS . So, for me, the difference is even greater as Bond's world is the same but Bond himself and the style is so different, its just weird IMHO
    I agree. I wouldn't have minded the tonal changes so much if the premise was different. In SP we are constantly reminded of the past films (with a sledgehammer) and it's a direct continuation. So it's reasonable for us to expect Bond to react in a certain way, and he doesn't. If he doesn't appear to care, then why should we?
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 11,189
    On the whole I think Craig himself had more to play with in Skyfall (M's death, interrogating Severine, the early scene with M in her house, using Severine as target practice, the meet-up with Q). There's more notable moments for him in that film and he takes full advantage of them. In SP he almost seems the clichéd action figure. The more meaty stuff was given to the people round him.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    On the whole I think Craig himself had more to play with in Skyfall (M's death, interrogating Severine, the early scene with M in her house, using Severine as target practice, the meet-up with Q). There's more notable moments for him in that film and he takes full advantage of them. In SP he almost seems the clichéd action figure. The more meaty stuff was given to the people round him.

A good assessment.

Half of the people were disappointed SP didn't turn out as another SF.
    The other half was relieved and is very happy SP didn't turn out as another SF.

Personally I like Bond to be a somewhat clichéd action figure because that's what he was up to QOS.
    SF is a one off experiment in heavy dreary drama that worked extremely well on the Box Office.
  • She saved Bond on the train.

I suppose, but she only winged Hinx, then emptied the weapon without hitting him again and was surprised to find she had no rounds when he recovered. And for that we had the whole story about her having killed the men who attacked her father when she was young?

In some ways this little piece goes to core of my problems with Spectre - the setup is out of all proportion with the payoff.
    She should have gouged his eyes out, and eaten his heart, I suppose.
  • Yeah, that's obviously what I meant, because the only two choices are 'wing him' and 'gouge his eyes out an eat his heart,' and clearly only one of those is a good choice.
    Really? I was only joking, but if you think so, you are entitled to it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Can Bond be a clichéd action character when he's the one that wrote most of the chapters in the playbook? If you're the originator of tropes or traits of spy characters, wouldn't you just be playing yourself?
  • GBFGBF
    I would not say that there are no links between Skyfall and Spectre. The cinematography, the score, the spectacular PTS, the more prominant role of M and the other mi6 staff, the focus on London as a location. I even find that the first half of Spectre is very much in the tradition of Skyfall and is pretty fine whereas the second half goes into a completely different direction. This is where a solid Bond film turns into a big mess.
    When Bond is questioned by M about the PTS, Bond comes over as smug, and a little childish (almost contemptuous of M's authority) IMHO. Considering that M is the new boss, that Bond is still angry/sad at the outcome of SF and, dont forget, he had failed his tests to get his 00 status back, it just does not come over as consistant re character. (why exactly is he so cocky at that point?) Would it not have been better for him to be still finding his feet, building up the working relationship with M etc? (that would fit in with the audience building up their relationaship with the new M)
    perhaps, not obvious, but some kind of hint that he was still at 80%?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I think it may be a case of Bond caught between Ms. He certainly respects Mallory from the last film, but what he had with Dench's M was unparalleled. So when he's acting on the orders of his dead boss to investigate something dangerous, I think he's caught between listening to her last order to him from beyond the grave and what his new boss wants him to do; naturally Judi's M holds more sway for him. Bond doesn't want to share what he's got because he wants to see how far it leads, and he's also genuinely angry about Mallory making a big deal of him stopping what would've been a massive bombing and putting him on ice in the 00 section.

Let's not forget who was right here all along, after all. Throughout the entire film Bond is the one with the decisive leads connecting the dots between the attacks worldwide, the proposed bombing in Mexico and the organization of SPECTRE, amongst other threads. And he does all this with barely any help, so much so that at one point M even says in no uncertain terms that Bond has to do this mission all on his own, which he of course does before they all come together for the finale and get Blofeld in chains.
  • GBF wrote: »
    I would not say that there are no links between Skyfall and Spectre. The cinematography, the score, the spectacular PTS, the more prominant role of M and the other mi6 staff, the focus on London as a location. I even find that the first half of Spectre is very much in the tradition of Skyfall and is pretty fine whereas the second half goes into a completely different direction. This is where a solid Bond film turns into a big mess.

I don't think the cinematography is linked to Skyfall, in my honest opinion, as much as I love the cinematography I think it was the wrong choice. I personally believe they should've just tried to really hard to get Deakins back. Don't get me wrong I love Hoytema, I especially love his work on Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, but that's what his style suits, the small almost independent film that's on a lower scale to this spy epic that is James Bond. Insterstellar is different cause it still managed to come across to me anyway as an "independent epic". The cinematography in Spectre, I believe lowers the scale of the film. For example, the establishing shots make the film not feel as epic, whereas Skyfall used these beautiful big establishing shots of these beautiful parts of whatever place we were in, and even the big action sequences felt small in scale, because of the framing, the color correction and that glow effect the film seems to have the whole way through. Hopefully I'm not the only one who noticed it, but everyone seems to glow in a weird way in this film plus, everyone in the scene in Blofeld's lair where he shows Madeleine the video of her father's death, looks extremely fake especially Craig. They almost look animated.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    GBF wrote: »

I don't think the cinematography is linked to Skyfall, in my honest opinion, as much as I love the cinematography I think it was the wrong choice. I personally believe they should've just tried to really hard to get Deakins back. Don't get me wrong I love Hoytema, I especially love his work on Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, but that's what his style suits, the small almost independent film that's on a lower scale to this spy epic that is James Bond. Insterstellar is different cause it still managed to come across to me anyway as an "independent epic". The cinematography in Spectre, I believe lowers the scale of the film. For example, the establishing shots make the film not feel as epic, whereas Skyfall used these beautiful big establishing shots of these beautiful parts of whatever place we were in, and even the big action sequences felt small in scale, because of the framing, the color correction and that glow effect the film seems to have the whole way through. Hopefully I'm not the only one who noticed it, but everyone seems to glow in a weird way in this film plus, everyone in the scene in Blofeld's lair where he shows Madeleine the video of her father's death, looks extremely fake especially Craig. They almost look animated.
    100% in agreement @MadeleineSwann. The cinematography in SF enhanced that film immeasurably. The cinematography in SP on the other hand did the opposite. I thought the 'shot framing' was done very well though (many scenes were filmed at distance), and gave a Lean'esque scale last seen in TSWLM or MR, but the colours were horrid. Everything had a monotonous flavour which is not a Bondian attribute. Bond films must have strong colour contrast imho.

Yes, I did notice that Craig and Madeline in particular looked 'wierd' in the control room. She almost looked CGI (I couldn't help staring at her when I saw the film again a couple of weeks back wondering what was up).