Will Spectre end up being to SF what Thunderball was to GF..?

Comments

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    The buildup & momentum started by SF and continuing into the pending release of SP echoes the public excitement & buzz that was around in late 1965 before TB was released, I am reliably told by a few of my elder colleagues.

GF was most definitely not 'just another Bondfilm' upon its release. People went gaga for it. And EoN cashed in on that buzz with the follow up – they would never have thrown such a budget at TB if GF had not had the impact it did.

Same situation with Spectre now -> if SF had not had the impact it did, no SP (at least not in the form & scale we are getting it now). None. Nada.
    I'm not so sure about the GF/TB comparison, @AceHole. If there was the same Bondmania as back in 65 then why aren't these forums bombarded and splitting at the seams with huge numbers of new and old fans alike declaring their obssessive enthusiasm like never before? From what I've seen there's pretty much the same collective bunch posting here on MI6 without the frenzy and clamour of new fans chipping in. That's not to say DC isn't popular or SP won't do big BO. It's just I'm not seeing the same Bondmania that you paint. It's really not a great deal different to when Brosnan had a new Bond movie out, and I do recall people saying the same thing then as you do now.

I dont know why but I'm just not getting a GF vibe. Maybe that has more to do with an already overcrowded Marvel/DC marketplace that better suits the younger moviegoer than a 50 year old franchise that's no longer kid-friendly? I'm also not sure if I was a kid again, and had just come out of a SF showing, that I would want to be James Bond the same way I did when I first saw Sean Connery strutting his stuff, not unless I was a dour, miserable kid that is.

I was too young for GF, and only became aware of 007 when YOLT came out in 67, though my parents wouldn't take me to see it and so had to wait for OHMSS. But I can recall all the toys and spy TV shows durring the 60's.

I think people will go see the new Bond movie like they've pretty much always done, especially now that EON have moved the summer opening slot back to autumn after LTK fared less well, and will pay considerably more for their cinema ticket than they did before and everything will look rosey once more. Job done. Roll on Bond 25...
  • RC7RC7
    bondsum wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about the GF/TB comparison, @AceHole. If there was the same Bondmania as back in 65 then why aren't these forums bombarded and splitting at the seams with huge numbers of new and old fans alike declaring their obssessive enthusiasm like never before? From what I've seen there's pretty much the same collective bunch posting here on MI6 without the frenzy and clamour of new fans chipping in. That's not to say DC isn't popular or SP won't do big BO. It's just I'm not seeing the same Bondmania that you paint. It's really not a great deal different to when Brosnan had a new Bond movie out, and I do recall people saying the same thing then as you do now.

I dont know why but I'm just not getting a GF vibe. Maybe that has more to do with an already overcrowded Marvel/DC marketplace that better suits the younger moviegoer than a 50 year old franchise that's no longer kid-friendly? I'm also not sure if I was a kid again, and had just come out of a SF showing, that I would want to be James Bond the same way I did when I first saw Sean Connery strutting his stuff, not unless I was a dour, miserable kid that is.

I was too young for GF, and only became aware of 007 when YOLT came out in 67, though my parents wouldn't take me to see it and so had to wait for OHMSS. But I can recall all the toys and spy TV shows durring the 60's.

I think people will go see the new Bond movie like they've pretty much always done, especially now that EON have moved the summer opening slot back to autumn after LTK fared less well, and will pay considerably more for their cinema ticket than they did before and everything will look rosey once more. Job done. Roll on Bond 25...

I don't think @AceHole is implying it's reminiscent of Bondmania, it clearly isn't anything like that period of time in that regard, I think it's more a comparison with the big numbers both films did and the subsequent knock on effect, creatively and with reference to the production scale, which is reminiscent of the GF to TB transition.
    Thanks @RC7 for setting me right. I thought he was drawing a Bondmania comparison but it appears I was wrong. Apologies to @AceHole for the confusion.

Yes, SP is going to make a bucketful of cash and cement DC as a very popular 007 for the 21st Century.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,399
    I dont know why but I'm just not getting a GF vibe. Maybe that has more to do with an already overcrowded Marvel/DC marketplace that better suits the younger moviegoer than a 50 year old franchise that's no longer kid-friendly?

truthfully - i dont think the films were ever meant to be "kid friendly" - i just think things that might not have been seen as morally acceptable back then, are pretty commonplace now... not saying Bond films weren't morally acceptable - but the films back in those days more-or-less were received the same way that a PG-13 movie is now ((for example, Psycho when it was released was considered one of the scariest films made - but by today's standards, it's pretty tame.. my little nieces who are barely 10 years old watch it with me and don't get scared.))... and, not to mention that when Roger Moore took over, it made it a little easier for children to watch, as he played things lighter than Sean did...
    Thanks @RC7 for setting me right. I thought he was drawing a Bondmania comparison but it appears I was wrong. Apologies to @AceHole for the confusion.

Yes, SP is going to make a bucketful of cash and cement DC as a very popular 007 for the 21st Century.

Well crikey, old boy, thanks for your very courteous apology :>
    None needed however, as I always have my giant salt-pincher at the ready when I discuss issues on here..!

And yes, I was mainly referring to the similarities in lieu of the impact the success of SF has had in shaping SP, the 'knock-on effect' as RC7 puts it's - but I was also making a very slight comparison to the Bondmania of the mid-60's, though I see your point that the public response is nowhere near as colossal.
    Very good point, @haserot. The censors were much harder to get certain scenes passed back in the Sixties. Though I do think the family-friendly feel helped the continued success of the Bond pictures and allowed their fanbase to grow rather than outgrow the franchise.
    AceHole wrote: »

None needed however, as I always have my giant salt-pincher at the ready when I discuss issues on here..!

And yes, I was mainly referring to the similarities in lieu of the impact the success of SF has had in shaping SP, the 'knock-on effect' as RC7 puts it's - but I was also making a very slight comparison to the Bondmania of the mid-60's, though I see your point that the public response is nowhere near as colossal.

That's ok, mate. We're all adults here and I do like to discuss all things Bond with like-minded intelligent people. Sorry, if I came across as an arse. You do make some very good points.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

i will say this though, this current run that Craig is on, is about as close to a 2nd golden age of Bond films as we've seen since probably the 60s... not just in terms of financial success but also critical and general public reception.

That's ok, mate. We're all adults here and I do like to discuss all things Bond with like-minded intelligent people. Sorry, if I came across as an arse. You do make some very good points.

As I said - nothing to apologize about here, I'd far rather have a discussion with people who speak their mind and have a true opinion (however different from my own) than get bland agreement or fence-sitting.
    HASEROT wrote: »

i will say this though, this current run that Craig is on, is about as close to a 2nd golden age of Bond films as we've seen since probably the 60s... not just in terms of financial success but also critical and general public reception.

Agreed.
    Whilst interest from Bond aficionado's has always been high - the attention given to 007 by the mainstream media & movie-going public has not been this high since the mid 60's.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,554
    TripAces wrote: »
    Unfortunately, we don't have a large amount of data on what audiences in 1964 really thought of GF when it was released. My guess is that GF was merely viewed as "another Bond" film; thus, there probably wasn't a general perception that TB had to top anything. The films were only a year apart. The buildup between SF and SP is possibly greater because of the three-year delay.

the only thing we do have is box office figures.. and that should give us some clue..

GF grossed domestically in just the US, $51.1 million dollars (according to boxofficemojo.com).. adjust for inflation, that equates to $393.2 million - in just domestic totals alone... not even SF - the most successful film in franchise history did that well in the US.... but you compare that to FRWL, which opened just the year prior - and that only took in $24.8 mil domestically (which would translate to roughly $190.9 mil in today's dollars)..... so, lets look at the numbers side by side..

FRWL(1963) - $24.8 million ($190.9 million with inflation)
    GF(1964) - $51.1 million ($393.2 million with inflation)

that is a near 200% increase in box office revenue in just over a year.... if Goldfinger was viewed, as you have suggested as being "just another Bond film." - which means the public would have a very blase' attitude towards it, then that doesn't seem to match the near 200% increase in box office revenue in just the US alone... that has to mean that audiences packed theaters to see this movie, which means they loved it..... Shirley Bassey's title theme was big hit as single as well... "The single release of the song gave Bassey her only Billboard Hot 100 top forty hit, peaking in the Top 10 at number eight and at number two for four weeks on the Adult Contemporary chart, and in the United Kingdom the single reached number 21."

but don't forget this as well... yes, movies had longer theater runs back then - but there were far less theaters in that time as well, and you didn't have multiplexes like you do today.. so think about that as well.... this is taken from a wikipedia article about the film - which does have a credible source cited...

"" Goldfinger‍ '​s $3 million budget was recouped in two weeks, and it broke box office records in multiple countries around the world.... The Guinness Book of World Records went on to list Goldfinger as the fastest grossing film of all time.... Demand for the film was so high that the DeMille cinema in New York City had to stay open twenty-four hours a day. ""

just another Bond film you say?

Excellent points, @Haserot. Indeed, the BO numbers can tell us the story. What's interesting, as we look at these JAMES BOND BO NUMBERS, is that TB topped GF. This I didn't know. I won't argue GF's popularity....but there was a rising tide, wasn't there? DN to FRWL to GF to TB. The increase in BO numbers was exponential. And then they fell off a bit with YOLT. That was the first of the films to include a two-year gap. Hmmm.

As for the "just another Bond film." I still wonder, though, despite the BO numbers, if people were aware that they were witnessing a phenomenon. That's all I'm saying. I'll have to read more on it.
  • TV reported at that time that Connery at the Cannes Festival in 1965 was one of the biggest mayhem Cannes had ever seen for a very long time.
    one of my favorite Connery appearances in the 60s..

TripAces wrote: »
    I still wonder, though, despite the BO numbers, if people were aware that they were witnessing a phenomenon. That's all I'm saying. I'll have to read more on it.

it's hard to say.. if i had to wager a guess, i would say yes - just because of the levels of mania that would go on at premieres and other public events.. it's hard to look at it and not recognize the phenomenon while it's happening... just like The Beatles.. and even the movies like 'Jaws' and 'Star Wars'
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,015
    Some food for thought

Night club performers asking for a special showing at 2.30 am, come on, that was not just another movie :)

99482296gf.jpg

877569gf2.jpg

Also there are French interview of Connery explaining Bondmania is going too far, talking about the merchandising etc.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited September 2015 Posts: 5,958
    In the US, GF was seen as a welcome respite from the sadness of the JFK assassination just a year before. JFK was perhaps the single most important champion of Bond in that he revealed himself as a fan at the exact right cultural moment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/william-bradley/mad-about-the-60s--goldfinger-at-50-and-beyond_b_6410468.html
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited July 2018 Posts: 45,489

What do people think now?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    SP still sucks.

One of my least favorite entries compounded by the fact it led to yet another long gap, in which fans are subjected to countless articles advocating a gender, ethnic change or overall makeover for the series post Craig.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I don't think you could blame SP for the long gap, anymore than you can blame QOS for the gap.

Sony's partnership expired (with Tom "Deadpool would never work as a movie" Rothman replacing Amy Pascal) and so EON spent a hell of a long time trying to find a new one for MGM. I'm sure if things aligned better that we would have had a release coming out this year instead of the next. Wilson had hoped a new deal with a distributor would be struck by early 2016.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    SP still sucks.

Yep! Still ranked last for me.
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    I like Spectre. Has its flaws, but not as bad as some make it.
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    Indeed:-)
    SPECTRE is middle-tier Bond for me, which is not too far from where THUNDERBALL is.

Meanwhile, both GOLDFINGER and SKYFALL are in my top 3. So if there's a pattern, it's that Connery and Craig's #4s are not exactly reaching the heights of their #3s.

Moore is in his own league though, as I thought MOONRAKER was his best film up to that point.
    I don't think you could blame SP for the long gap, anymore than you can blame QOS for the gap.

Sony's partnership expired (with Tom "Deadpool would never work as a movie" Rothman replacing Amy Pascal) and so EON spent a hell of a long time trying to find a new one for MGM. I'm sure if things aligned better that we would have had a release coming out this year instead of the next. Wilson had hoped a new deal with a distributor would be struck by early 2016.

Good points. I do feel, though, that SP exhausted the Bond team to the point they needed some time off. Then another year for Craig to decide whether he was coming back or not. In the meantime Michael and Barbara had the MGM deal to sort out as well.

At long last the ball is beginning to roll on B25.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Based on this title thread, SP is Craig's YOLT.

Not as famous or acclaimed as it's predecessor.
    Disenfranchised star in Craig, Similar to Connery.
    Blofeld and hollowed out volcanoes.

While I don't mind it as much as some, once the new Bond film nostalgia wore off, the flaws were definitely there. I really have no reason to revisit it at any point soon. I caught it on cable about two months ago and one viewing left me pissed and about a week or so later I somewhat enjoyed it. It's a bipolar Bond film for me.

I really hope B25 will be better.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    It couldn't be much worse.... or could it?
    Bond films are like a roll of the dice. I'm not expecting or anticipating the best or the worst.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 1,533
    I barely even consider the film part of the official series these days. SPECTRE and Blofeld should have been left in the 60s. The worst part is that it easily could have been a great movie with that much talent involved.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    It is what it is at this point. I own the films on DVD and Bluray and rarely I've been watching them.