Will Spectre end up being to SF what Thunderball was to GF..?

Comments

• edited August 2018 Posts: 17,241
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Gavin was paid in full, that‘s correct

I'm sure the guy would have liked to played the part (and made more money starring in more films), but it sure wasn't bad business getting paid what surely must have been a lucrative contract, without doing anything!
    Regarding the DAF we got, I really, really love that film - and I'm not ashamed to say it!
    Why should you? To me, one of the ultimate strenghts of the franchise is, that it offers something for every taste. I truly love Craig‘s first three movies including Skyfall which get‘s roasted pretty heavy sometimes like DAF but I appreciate it greatly exactly the way it is. That‘s the fun part - discussing the pros and cons see in each actor and film ... before I entered this forum it would never have thought somebody would dislike Thunderball :D
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,241
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Regarding the DAF we got, I really, really love that film - and I'm not ashamed to say it!
    Why should you? To me, one of the ultimate strenghts of the franchise is, that it offers something for every taste. I truly love Craig‘s first three movies including Skyfall which get‘s roasted pretty heavy sometimes like DAF but I appreciate it greatly exactly the way it is. That‘s the fun part - discussing the pros and cons see in each actor and film ... before I entered this forum it would never have thought somebody would dislike Thunderball :D

Very true; where somebody sees a con in a film, somebody sees a pro. And even as a member here for some time, I still can't believe somebody would dislike Thunderball!
    DAF was my favorite Bond film for years, which I don't mind saying. It was memorable for being the first new Bond film I ever saw in the cinema at the ripe old age of 5. I'd been taken regularly to the rereleases before that, but I remember how memorable that experience was on that January Sunday afternoon in 1972.

It was probably some time in the '90s that DAF went down in the overall rankings, but it has never lost its enjoyment factor. As SeanCraig said, the franchise offers a lot of variety among its 24/26 films.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    DAF was my favorite Bond film for years, which I don't mind saying. It was memorable for being the first new Bond film I ever saw in the cinema at the ripe old age of 5. I'd been taken regularly to the rereleases before that, but I remember how memorable that experience was on that January Sunday afternoon in 1972.

It was probably some time in the '90s that DAF went down in the overall rankings, but it has never lost its enjoyment factor. As SeanCraig said, the franchise offers a lot of variety among its 24/26 films.

Where is it in your rankings now ?
    Probably middle range. I haven't done a proper ranking in some time.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    DAF is in my top 10 somewhere. It's actually the most watched Connery film.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I think it was wise of the producers to make DAF as they did. I actually like how the pre-title was designed in a way that it could either be seen as just a direct follow up to YOLT or OHMSS. Is Bond just taking care of unfinished business or is he on a personal vendetta? It depends on how you wanna see it. But after the titles, this is strictly a GOLDFINGER type adventure, albeit with more farcical humor this time.
    I think it was wise of the producers to make DAF as they did. I actually like how the pre-title was designed in a way that it could either be seen as just a direct follow up to YOLT or OHMSS. Is Bond just taking care of unfinished business or is he on a personal vendetta? It depends on how you wanna see it. But after the titles, this is strictly a GOLDFINGER type adventure, albeit with more farcical humor this time.
    And I'm satisfied with it as well and also see the producers' decision to do such. It has only been in recent years fans have mourned the what could have been idea of a revenge sequel to OHMSS.

Yeah, I'd have been interested in that approach too, but it didn't happen, so let it be.
    I would have only wanted a revenge sequel if it meant getting Lazenby back. Even if he didn’t bail, would a revenge sequel have been made? Would it have been a big enough hit to keep the series going? Much as fans decry DAF, it did get the series back on track box office wise. Whether Lazenby returned or John Gavin actually got a shot at the role, I’m uncertain of where the franchise would have gone on those two routes.
  • THUNDERBALL is twice the film that SPECTRE is.
  • THUNDERBALL is twice the film that SPECTRE is.
    Here here!! TB was the peak of Bond mania. Every scene just oozed Bond. Blofeld was an unseen sinister figure shrouded in mystery. What did SP give us? Blofeld as Bond’s brother and a 2.5 hour slog of a film.

• RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    THUNDERBALL is twice the film that SPECTRE is.

Amen.
    Came here to say that. TB ended up being far, far superior to SP.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Almost every aspect of TB is top notch. Apart from maybe cinematography, SP is plain dull.
  • First half of SP has some interesting stuff, then just dropped off the table for me.

TB is in my top ten Bonds, if not my top five.

LOVE that picture.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    TB is one of the best Bond films.

The less said about the other one, the better.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    TB, top 10 Bond for me, SP languishing at no. 24.
    Yep..chalk and cheese these two .

TB is my #7 atm and SP rock bottom #24.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited October 2018 Posts: 4,378
    r7d27xuzcpe11.gif

Whenever I come to a Spectre bashing thread
    Birdleson wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Yep..chalk and cheese these two .

TB is my #7 atm and SP rock bottom #24.

Very close to mine. TB #8, SP #24.

Great minds and all that.... ;)
    Having rewatched THUNDERBALL, I'm think I'm liking SPECTRE more, but that isn't saying much because I don't rank either that high. TB was a step down from the first three as far as I'm concerned. I don't think Young was up to the task in making a film with the same comic book tone as GOLDFINGER, so in that sense I wish he had done a closer adaptation of the book. I also would have shaved off contrivances like Domino's brother having an evil double that kills him (why was that necessary? Just stick to Domino's brother being a crook like in the novel, that was so much simpler).

While TB is the weakest of the first four, I still feel QOS is the weakest of Craig's first four. That one I rank even worse on the list.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    TB is in my top three films SP and SF are in my bottom three, for me they are not comparable.
    Should we rename this thread "Will Bond 25 end up being to SP what You Only Live Twice was to Thunderball"? Or was SP what YOLT was to TB? The mind reels!
    Revelator wrote: »
    Should we rename this thread "Will Bond 25 end up being to SP what You Only Live Twice was to Thunderball"? Or was SP what YOLT was to TB? The mind reels!

It will be fun to finally discuss a Bond actor making his FIFTH Bond entry, which nobody has done since nearly 40 years ago. You Only Live Twice and For Your Eyes Only were films with wildly different approaches. I look forward to how Craig's fifth entry stacks up.
    Revelator wrote: »

It will be fun to finally discuss a Bond actor making his FIFTH Bond entry, which nobody has done since nearly 40 years ago. You Only Live Twice and For Your Eyes Only were films with wildly different approaches. I look forward to how Craig's fifth entry stacks up.

Me too. YOLT and FYEO are very different but both good Bond films. Looking forward to Craig’s fifth a lot. I do hope though this is indeed his last go; I love his Bond and era, but I think it’s time to call it quits with this next one.
    Craig's fifth will probably be a little better than spectre but won't have the spark of cr or sf
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    I prefer TB over GF every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Comparison with SP is borderline offensive.
    QQ7 wrote: »
    I prefer TB over GF every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Comparison with SP is borderline offensive.

Well said...spot on !
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Yes I think so. Hopefully this time round we get a faithfully adaptation of You Only Live Twice next