New members - introduce yourself

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Hello one and all. Welcome to all of our recent recruits, hope you enjoy your time here. And that you find your feet soon enough.
    It can be a little daunting at first, but in time it becomes much easier.
    Any questions don't be afraid to ask.

Just a word for the veteran members who have been here a while. I've noticed in the activity pages, that some of the comments on new members entries have at times come across as a little hostile or snide. Please remember that some people join these forums simply to read the posts and articles, and never actually post.
    They are not all untrustworthy or trolls.
    Also some members take a little more time to establish themselves than others. There is no time limit. I didn't start posting regularly for about two months after I joined. Deciding to read posts and find my feet slowly, before entering into the everyday discussions being had. We're all different.

Hallo @mirandafrost & hola @Eon!
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 40
    Hello everyone,

mi Name is Export.. UniversalExport.
    I am a member since a few minutes - after i realized i read this board every free minute for days, and learned some new facts and laughed some loud laughs - I thought i gonna join u guys. In real life i got nobody who shares the bondian interests - so.. one reason more to suscribe here.
    Am from Switzerland (you know the country seen and mentioned in Goldfinger, On her Majestys Secret Service and i think the Bungeejump Scene in GoldenEye was also filmed in my country - but this could have been a rumor - dont know it for sure).
    On this occasion i wanna say - sorry for my mostly poor english. Where i live, with the local standarts, my english is good - able to talk and understand your language most of the time, but my grammatics and stuff sucks i think. So dont be shy, you got the licence to correct me everytime our paths cross eachothers :)

For me being a Bond Fan is more than "i like those movies".. i grew up with it.. i think the first Time i saw a Bond Film was at a friends house - You only live twice.. and i think i was around ten years old (that was 20 years ago).
    After the Song by Nancy Sinatra and the cool panther style of Sean Connery - i became a addict.

MI6 Community ... thanks for existing and welcoming new members..

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Hello everyone,

mi Name is Export.. UniversalExport.
    I am a member since a few minutes - after i realized i read this board every free minute for days, and learned some new facts and laughed some loud laughs - I thought i gonna join u guys. In real life i got nobody who shares the bondian interests - so.. one reason more to suscribe here.
    Am from Switzerland (you know the country seen and mentioned in Goldfinger, On her Majestys Secret Service and i think the Bungeejump Scene in GoldenEye was also filmed in my country - but this could have been a rumor - dont know it for sure).
    On this occasion i wanna say - sorry for my mostly poor english. Where i live, with the local standarts, my english is good - able to talk and understand your language most of the time, but my grammatics and stuff sucks i think. So dont be shy, you got the licence to correct me everytime our paths cross eachothers :)

For me being a Bond Fan is more than "i like those movies".. i grew up with it.. i think the first Time i saw a Bond Film was at a friends house - You only live twice.. and i think i was around ten years old (that was 20 years ago).
    After the Song by Nancy Sinatra and the cool panther style of Sean Connery - i became a addict.

MI6 Community ... thanks for existing and welcoming new members..

Welcome aboard! Grammatical problems are no problem here! @M_Balje is a well respected member of this community!

I'm sure you'll be made very welcome with The Living Daylights being your favourite Bond!

• DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Welcome aboard @UniversalExport :)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited April 2014 Posts: 13,949
    Welcome, @UniversalExport!

Looking forward to discussing all things Bond with you, as well as arranging that shipment of Carcharodon carcharias. ;)
  • We will QBranch.. Bon-appetite! ;) Thanks also to DiscoVolante
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And thanks to Thunderfinger for welcoming you, too, @UniversalExport. Cool name, do we have any other Swiss members here? I have been to Zurich and I love Switzerland. Only independent country left in Europe, and home of The Young Gods.
  • Yes indeed, thanks too Thunderfinger also.. dont know The Young Gods well, all i know `bout them is their Name (heard it 2-3 times before)..
    Yes indeed, thanks too Thunderfinger also.. dont know The Young Gods well, all i know `bout them is their Name (heard it 2-3 times before)..
    What? Check them out, they are a universal export for you. Saw them live in 1992, awesome.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Welcome dear @UniversalExport. Your English is actually very good! Have confidence in yourself, friend. At any rate it's certainly much better than my Swiss!
    They speak French, Italian, German and Retoromanian. No such language as Swiss.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 40
    What? Check them out, they are a universal export for you. Saw them live in 1992, awesome.

Okay i will..

@Dragonpool Thanks for the flowers :)

@Thunderfinger Yes indeed, officialy you are right - but actually there is a swiss language - but its sort of inofficial - like germanys "Bundestaaten" or the States of the USA, we got "Kantone" (english i think "cantons"), each of these got their own original lanquage - most of them are similar but with some heavy differences. Clearly the french speaking cantons just speaking french, the italian speaking (mostly) italian and the retoromanian speaks their retoromanian - but the german speaking parts (where i from) are speaking, like we call it, swiss-german. And there are alot of cantons with their differences in speaking swiss german.
    Its a little awkward and laborious to explain... but thats it :)
  • Sry i dont know yet how to use BBCode correct, somehow it ends up as one quote itsself, everytime i edit my post.. please excuse.. but i look into it :)
    I understand German (some), but when I was in Switzerland (and Austria) I did not understand a word. I thought they were speaking Schwabisch (German southern dialect), did not realize it was a separate language. Thanks, I always enjoy learning something new.
    I understand German (some), but when I was in Switzerland (and Austria) I did not understand a word. I thought they were speaking Schwabisch (German southern dialect), did not realize it was a separate language. Thanks, I always enjoy learning something new.

You always were a cunning linguist. :D

You always were a cunning linguist. :D

Sorry, English is beyond me. What?
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 3,236

Retoromanian is also known as Romansch, isn't it? Also, welcome Universal Exports!
    edited April 2014 Posts: 45,489

Retoromanian is also known as Romansch, isn't it? Also, welcome Universal Exports!

I believe it is. Also called Rhaetian, spoken in the North. Correct me if it is wrong, Univex.

• @Soundofthesinners Yes it is..

@Thunderfinger I am not an expert, but i do believe Rhaetian is meant to be the area in the context of geochronology and also the people who live there. But spoken of Rhaetian Language - yes - then its correct.. i think..

oh and yes.. dont worry, people often get confused about swiss-german and the southern german language schwäbisch. Both are dialects of a language based on german, and the areas are close.
    I've opened up a whole linguistic can of worms here I see! And I just thought they spoke Swiss! :))
    "Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

:D
  • @Dragonpol Hehe yeah its like a linguistic box of pandorra.. but its nice..

@WillyGalore Looks like a quote ma man, but you forgot to mention the source.. and afterall, look how much we clearly had done right in the past, if people think this "quote" is accurate.. ;)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Grüezi @UniversalExport! That's just as far as my Schweizerdeutsch goes, I'm afraid :D Welcome to the club.
    "Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

:D

Funny I had thought of putting a You Tube link to Harry Lime saying that in The Third Man, @WillyGalore.

Asterix and Obelix visited Switzerland. Enough said. Respect!
  • Sandy wrote:
    Grüezi @UniversalExport! That's just as far as my Schweizerdeutsch goes, I'm afraid :D Welcome to the club.
    Nice - even knowing its that cliche language skill like "guten Tag" in german - i appreciate it - Grüezi Sandy :)

So.. Gary Grant and Asterix & Obelix.. we are in good crowd here.. that I appreciate it too..
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Sandy wrote:
    Nice - even knowing its that cliche language skill like "guten Tag" in german - i appreciate it - Grüezi Sandy :)

So.. Gary Grant and Asterix & Obelix.. we are in good crowd here.. that I appreciate it too..

Where would one be without those little cliche language skills, right? I have to say I find it difficult to understand Swiss German, every once in a while I turn my TV on some Swiss channel and I came to the sad conclusion that I understand the Dutch better :-S
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Domo arigato to everybody. :)
  • Sandy wrote:
    Sandy wrote:

Where would one be without those little cliche language skills, right? I have to say I find it difficult to understand Swiss German, every once in a while I turn my TV on some Swiss channel and I came to the sad conclusion that I understand the Dutch better :-S

@Sandy You get channels from switzerland, where the hell are you from? To conserve this Thread you can answer here, if you want :)