Coming Soon To Consoles! - The Upcoming Games Thread

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Murdock wrote: »
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, For me personally, it's a long time coming. I don't think I've played a Mario game this big since 2007. :-bd

It has that Mario Galaxy feel, in that it's going where I don't think Mario has ever been, and has a wacky and vibrant edge to it that really sets it apart.

And that's exactly what I love about it! If you had told me last year this game exist, I would have been like. Pfff no way. :))

Seeing Mario walk around with actual people is crazy enough. The closest we've seen is him fighting with that yoga chick in Smash Bros. ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, For me personally, it's a long time coming. I don't think I've played a Mario game this big since 2007. :-bd

It has that Mario Galaxy feel, in that it's going where I don't think Mario has ever been, and has a wacky and vibrant edge to it that really sets it apart.

And that's exactly what I love about it! If you had told me last year this game exist, I would have been like. Pfff no way. :))

Seeing Mario walk around with actual people is crazy enough. The closest we've seen is him fighting with that yoga chick in Smash Bros. ;)

Well he did walk around with people in the cartoons so that wasn't really jarring for me. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Hold tight in those saddles, boys. Rockstar have set the date for a big announcement regarding Red Dead Redemption 2 tomorrow:

red-dead-redemption.jpg

The dream would be a story trailer/reveal of just what the game will focus on with some gameplay features shown, finished off with a release date.

To temper expectations I'd simply like to have it confirmed whether or not Marston will be in the game so that I can quit wondering about it until the release.
    The second trailer for Red Dead Redemption 2 has been released, announced as releasing sometime in Spring 2018 as rumored and generally assumed with how Rockstar usually release their new games:

Not really sure what to say, at this point. Wasn't wowed, and felt really cold towards the new lead character when I was struck by John from the very first moment I heard his voice in the trailers. It all comes down to what the gameplay and story is, and sadly this trailer much like the initial one gives us largely nothing to really chew on beyond some random lines and bits of footage we can't be sure are actual gameplay. Beyond some nice visuals I don't feel like I know anything that I didn't already assume from beforehand.

The big takeaway I have is that somehow, someway, John will indeed be in this game. I wonder if Rockstar were able to get his original voice actor back, or if they hired someone new to play a younger version of the man. I hope the former, though I don't have much faith in that hope.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 12,837
    I find it interesting that they went for Redemption 2 instead of a new subtitle. Makes me think that as well as the obvious prequel connection with the gang, the story this time will have a similar theme to it.

The new guy wasn't one of the people John was hunting in the first one was he? I'm thinking he'll die towards the end (the trailer seems to be making a point of how much of a bastard he is, so my guess is at some point in the story he'll meet someone or see something that makes him have a change of heart and go for redemption) and the ending will be John turning up/joining the gang. Maybe it's John that kills him? As sort of an initiation. This is assuming it's set before John joins the gang rather than in between him leaving and the first game. Or they could be clever with it, he might be an outright psycho right up to the end and it's a different gang member that kills him (so it's them who gets redemption)? Whatever the case my prediction is that he'll die and be replaced by John at the end. Maybe even leaving us to play as John in the open world after, similar to how you're his son by the end of the original. Or if John has already left at this point I think it'll be the actions of the new player character that ruins them and drives them all into hiding, setting the stage for John to hunt them down in RDR. Depends when it's set really.
  • I heard a rumor way back that you play as several people, just like GTAV-- wouldn't it be nice if John was one?
    The game looks beautiful though- a day one purchase if I ever saw one
    I find it interesting that they went for Redemption 2 instead of a new subtitle. Makes me think that as well as the obvious prequel connection with the gang, the story this time will have a similar theme to it.

The new guy wasn't one of the people John was hunting in the first one was he? I'm thinking he'll die towards the end (the trailer seems to be making a point of how much of a bastard he is, so my guess is at some point in the story he'll meet someone or see something that makes him have a change of heart and go for redemption) and the ending will be John turning up/joining the gang. Maybe it's John that kills him? As sort of an initiation. This is assuming it's set before John joins the gang rather than in between him leaving and the first game. Or they could be clever with it, he might be an outright psycho right up to the end and it's a different gang member that kills him (so it's them who gets redemption)? Whatever the case my prediction is that he'll die and be replaced by John at the end. Maybe even leaving us to play as John in the open world after, similar to how you're his son by the end of the original. Or if John has already left at this point I think it'll be the actions of the new player character that ruins them and drives them all into hiding, setting the stage for John to hunt them down in RDR. Depends when it's set really.

@thelivingroyale, I don't agree with all of this, but I like the idea of John killing the guy at the end (it would change our perception of him after seeing his good side) or that John is who we play as after the game ends.

We know so little still, so I can't really say either way. With Dutch there I think it's inevitable that John will fit in somehow, someway, as there's no way Rockstar would leave him out of this. I would hope that John will be a steady supporting character we get to know over the course of the game and at some point we as the gamer get to play the robbery through the gang's eyes (or rather this new guy) during which John ends up being left for dead. That moment, of this protagonist forced to abandon a dying and shot up John after the failed job (a man he came to love as a brother), could be the thing that changes him and makes him see that a life of crime has little in it for a sane man when Dutch and his fellow posse mates could betray and abandon him as they did John at any moment. That would or could be the last we see of John, as we know what happens to him after he survives the robbery, but the moment would be impactful enough for the fans to know what it would make the protagonist want out of the posse and give him weighty motivation, especially if, like John, he had a woman with him who he was raising a child with. The rest of the game could then have this protagonist riding the same path John did, where he works with the law enforcement tailing him to stop his old gunslinging pals before they wreak any more havoc.

The danger in following that redemption arc, however, is repeating what was done with John. From a storytelling perspective it'd be a thematic move to show that history repeats itself with men trying to transition from a bad to good life, but at the end of the day I think it'd be better to give this new character his own identity and journey separate from John.

Either way, I think we'll see Rockstar smartly connecting the first game to this, and maybe show us characters we know in their younger forms. We could have a mission in a small town patrolled by a band of workman cops that just so happens to have the future Marshal Johnson amongst its ranks, or we could get drunk with a young Irish and run into the legendary Landon Ricketts on some robbery mission who would be at this peak at that time and might be hired as security by the man who owns what we must steal.
    I heard a rumor way back that you play as several people, just like GTAV-- wouldn't it be nice if John was one?
    The game looks beautiful though- a day one purchase if I ever saw one

@Master_Dahark, after GTA V I'm curious if there will be multiple characters to play as in this. From what we've seen we're a member of a big posse (now we know it's Dutch's like we thought) so that could mean that we could play as a number of the gunslingers who may each have their own skills for us to utilize (one good at bows, at duel-wielding pistols, throwing tomahawks, etc). I just worry that, with such a high amount of playable characters, the game will become too ambitious. I think it would be cool if we could simply play as all the posse members during certain heist or robbery missions, where we have to switch from one to the other to use their specific abilities on the tasks ahead, but outside of those missions we are simply this new character to avoid overburdening the game to such a high level.

I wish we had a confirmation on this, but we'll now have to wait much later for Rockstar to release a video showcasing actual gameplay and mechanics to be sure.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I figure I'm in the minority, but I really hope Rockstar isn't taking the route of giving us numerous characters to play in all of their games. I miss having only one that you stuck with throughout the entire journey - made the emotional payoff in the end that much more worth it. Wasn't crazy about switching back and forth between the three in GTA V, but I fear this game will be the same case.

Will check out the new trailer shortly.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I figure I'm in the minority, but I really hope Rockstar isn't taking the route of giving us numerous characters to play in all of their games. I miss having only one that you stuck with throughout the entire journey - made the emotional payoff in the end that much more worth it. Wasn't crazy about switching back and forth between the three in GTA V, but I fear this game will be the same case.

Will check out the new trailer shortly.

I agree, @Creasy47, and the impact of GTA V really puts Rockstar in an odd and difficult place as a developer. Now that they have done the multiple protagonists, a change that was a hit with most, will they be compelled to carry that style to other games, despite that style maybe not fitting the model of storytelling in said game?

Because let's be honest here: the only reason anyone is debating the use of multiple playable characters in Red Dead 2 is because of GTA V, but without that game we'd still be here perfectly happy with a singular protagonist and nothing more. If the switching protagonists hurt the story, or defocused it, then I wouldn't want it, plain and simple.

But as a whole I just want the old Rockstar back. I'm quite critical of GTA V not only as a disappointing release, but also for how that game has since made Rockstar a developing empire that worries me because they are not acting like they never would've before. We haven't gotten a simple Rockstar game since GTA V because Rockstar and Take Two saw they could milk players with Shark Cards through GTA Online, and seemingly decided to quite making games in order to make the most out of their new moneymaking scheme. Now, some developers use micro-transactions to find another way to gain money back on their games' heavy development budgets (which are only rising with the advancement of tech), but this is Rockstar we're talking about here who have made billions on just this GTA alone and certainly don't need to resort to the kinds of tactics too many of the other developers and publishers in the industry use to milk their players even more after buying their title.

I don't see the Rockstar I love that much these days, and that's disappointing to me when you see even the likes of NaughtyDog going the same route of micro-transactions and a deceitfully profit based model that directly collides with the experience they used to have with their players, of trust and fairness. Now gamers feel like customers and not a community, people the devs and publishers must target to milk with their business tactics. I just don't like where the industry has gone, how players support the season pass culture and wild micro-transactions by shelling out hundreds of dollars for Shark Cards and equivalents like them and how that shows these developers and publishers that they can get away with it.

I simply miss the days when games where games, when you spent your hard-earned money on a title, didn't need to spend any more after that and didn't have to worry about pay walls or developers purposefully making their games grind-fests to entice you to pay for ways to advance your progress to save time. A time when every major release didn't have five different editions of the same game, like the standard version, the gold/special edition, the deluxe edition, the collector's edition and on, and on, or when games didn't ship with more bugs than an insect emporium. When developers were less crooked and deceitful with players and when they and their publishers didn't elect to hold back their games from reviewers because they knew the bad reviews of their hackneyed and rushed game would hurt their bottom line.

It's just so obvious now how greedy the industry is and, while I have sympathy for how much games now cost to make and how it is harder to turn profit, these kinds of actions on the part of developers and publishers will only make the player base turn on them for their antics, and quite rightfully so. If gamers were treated more as actual people like they used to be, and not blind consumers to target for even more money beyond their $60 purchase, we'd be on our way back to how it used to be. If developers and publishers didn't rush games, went without season passes, five separate editions of the same game at launch and didn't nickel and dime for everything in said game, they would find that gamers would be far more agreeable about spending more money after the fact because at the very least they could trust those behind the game to supply them with the content to match the price tag. But sadly we've got too many high price tags for DLCs that amount to a few hours of gameplay and not enough developers like CD Projekt Red, a gem of a dying age, who not only make their games worth the original price tag, but who gives their players free content to insane degrees on top of it and, when they price their DLC, their expansions are always worth the money you pay in their content and quality.

We still see hints of the old days in the new age, but sadly these instances are far more the exceptions to the general rule.
    I can live with both options; one single protagonist or three very different protagonists.

But...I'd love to play as one singular character to make the gaming jorney feel more personal.

Part of me would like to see whst they would do with a few different protagonist in the old west. See different viewpoints of the story. If they would do something new with it. Like put two protagonists opposite the law; one a good guy, the other an outlaw. With personalized missions and activities. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Will propably not happen.
    Now , I'm pretty sure the other two playable characters are; the blonde female character and that native american fella.

After watching the trailer a few more times and thinking about what it means for the Red Dead series, I've warmed to it a lot more. I like the look of the protagonist and how he's built up as entirely separate from the good guy role John filled. In the first game I get the feeling that John was never a bad man, he was just an orphan who was abandoned and ended up getting involved with the wrong people and even when he was on the other side of the law he was trying to help those who didn't have anything.

With this Arthur Morgan, I like that we can see right off the bat how rough and mean a man he can be, and at times brutal (like his words to the guy who he promises to kill to keep his mother in black). He seems to take to the work he's doing like it's his nature, whereas John always felt like the robbing and killing wasn't something he was okay with doing; it was important for the games to delineate the characters in this way. I think that, by seeing the rough and dark side of Morgan, there is a foundation set to see how he develops later in the game as he may be the character who is the redemptive figure of the game after something he sees or does changes his interest in the gang/posse and he tries to turn sides.

Ultimately, I'm just excited to see how the second game connects to the first, and how Rockstar have connected them through the story with all the characters we could see as younger versions of themselves. I hope that somehow we'll see the wreck of the Serendipity incorporated in 2's story where Arthur and his gang rob it as it's moving but leave it to crash, explaining how it wrecked in the first place, for example.

But the biggest thing for me will be seeing how John fits into the picture, and how he is utilized as a character. I think that we'll actually play through the robbery that leaves him for dead, as I said earlier, and that could be part of what motivates Arthur to turn on Dutch and his group because he could grow to love John like his second father (as John's own dad was dead at the time and wasn't a good man anyway) and would be furious and beside himself to love him. I'd love to see a father/son relationship grow with John and Arthur where caring for an orphan brought into a life of crime makes Arthur think about leaving the gang when he's motivated to stop John from turning into him, a man who has lost himself. It would especially be powerful if Abigail was there too, and Arthur was motivated to get John and his family out so that they had a chance to live a decent life. I think that Jack was at least an infant to three years old when John was in the Dutch gang, so that idea of saving the family could be built into Arthur's redemptive journey that ultimately leads him to sacrificing himself to get John and his wife and child out in the same way that John later dies for his family at Beecher's Hope to link the characters in history.

I am now quite stirred by the original teaser for Red Dead 2 where the man we now know as Arthur (his voice is unmistakable) say this to an unseen character:

"Listen to me, when the time comes, you gotta run and don't look back."

How amazing and touching would it be if it ended up being John that Arthur was trying to warn with those words, to get him to leave the gang before something bad happened. And if Arthur is warning John to get Abigail and Jack out before the robbery that leaves him shot and left for dead, it'll have even more power because we'll feel Arthur's pain and regret for acting too late to save John, knowing in that moment that he should've done more to help.

I know Rockstar will find an interesting way to bridge the gap between the two games, but I'd love to see some of the above built into the sequel to make it a companion to the first that gives us powerful context regarding how John gets to where we see him and who he used to be while in the gang.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 40,372
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Oh... f--k you, EA...
    Oh... f--k you, EA...

I quit reading after the bit where they said the linear single player would be altered for it to "evolve" or whatever. I.e. likely find a way to inject microtransactions/loot boxes, add in unnecessary multiplayer, etc.
    10...more...days!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Christ. It's hard to know exactly what this means, as we didn't really know what the original game was going to be like, but it's never a good sign when EA meddle with things. With their recent policies that hurt only consumers, I won't be surprised if they ruin another great game.

This is strike two for Hennig, and I feel bad. Her exit from Uncharted 4 was odd and uncomfortable, and this may be another situation where her creative control is severed from a project she put everything into and she's left floating in the surf.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Today's major gaming companies in the western world especially are screwed in the head. From EA to Activision to Ubisoft and beyond... And in the east? Konami, when they decided to fire Kojima and screw up Metal Gear for good.

Give an indie company enough resources (but with specific restrictions so they don't grow out of genuine efforts), and they'll flesh out helluva of video games you'd be surprised how good they are.
    @ClarkDevlin, over the past four or five years the industry has really plummeted away from any kind of creative surplus and has instead degraded to padding games with loot boxes/micro-transactions, cutting valuable content to release in a season pass half the price of the actual game, and about five different edition of each game released including a Gold, Silver, Deluxe, Ultimate, Collector's and "Shut Up and Give us Your Money" versions.

This needs to stop, and gamers need to be proactive in standing up to it. Don't pre-order these games before you know what you're getting, don't give these publishers the pride of taking your money early. Don't cave to loot boxes and micro-transactions just because a game was meddled with to be a grind fest you have to pay to play. And for heaven's sakes, don't buy a damn season pass, which are just like pre-orders where you are actively spending an insane amount of money in addition to already paying for an at least sixty dollar game (only if you buy the regular edition, and not the gold, silver, deluxe, ultimate or collector's, however, which I've seen go up in price to a hundred and thirty bucks) before you even know what content you're getting. That's like going to a dealership and spending thousands of dollars on a car you don't see or get to test drive before ponying up the cash and shaking the seller's hand. It's only when you get out to the car a time later and find it's got slashed tires and a dead transmission that you realize the foolish nature of your decision.

We can't allow this garbage to keep happening, and if we actually voted with our wallets (the only thing they care about) and spoke up, they'd have to listen. If we don't all the bullshit above will be a normalized thing, and I don't want to take part in that kind of industry where developers are sick to their stomaches in reaction to what they're greedy publishers are forcing them to do to their games. It's not good for them, it's not good for consumers, and it's not good for the medium.
    Precisely, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. I rarely spend my money on games anymore since the whole industry has become a parody of the business they represent and used to be made fun of. This was depicted ten years ago starting with Activision with its constant rehash of the Call of Duty titles under different taglines, leading to the audience blindly spend money without having to look at it. We laughed at it, back then, but we're pretty much seeing the horrors of the old parodies we never sensed that'd become realities, surfacing in our universe. The whole entertainment market is like that, I'm afraid.
    Precisely, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. I rarely spend my money on games anymore since the whole industry has become a parody of the business they represent and used to be made fun of. This was depicted ten years ago starting with Activision with its constant rehash of the Call of Duty titles under different taglines, leading to the audience blindly spend money without having to look at it. We laughed at it, back then, but we're pretty much seeing the horrors of the old parodies we never sensed that'd become realities, surfacing in our universe. The whole entertainment market is like that, I'm afraid.

I have never been a big buyer of games on an annual basis, as I buy what strikes me and sometimes that's not a great deal. Nowadays most of the games I buy I get on the cheap through digital releases during big sales, either because I refuse to pay top dollar or simply don't mind waiting.

I do try my best to support my favorite developers, however, but that number is decreasing more and more by the years.

I have never been a big buyer of games on an annual basis, as I buy what strikes me and sometimes that's not a great deal. Nowadays most of the games I buy I get on the cheap through digital releases during big sales, either because I refuse to pay top dollar or simply don't mind waiting.

I do try my best to support my favorite developers, however, but that number is decreasing more and more by the years.
    I can relate to all of that. I'm pretty much the same.
    Artplant (formerly known as Innerloop Studios) are already working on a third game in the Project I.G.I. series.

tDByVEFfwDoP7pa4aqQKfL.jpg

To me, this is awfully exciting and I'm dancing in the middle of the night, right now. I was pleased when they acquired the rights back in January this year, and now they're already working on a sequel! :D

@00Agent, you should see this!
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Oh very nice! I hope it will be worth the wait.
    I will definitly keep an eye on this
    Let the mainstream gamers get excited for their CoDs, BFs and MoHs. I'll have this one to play for hours if they're anything like the original games, especially the second! :D
    edited October 2017 Posts: 5,185
    Let the mainstream gamers get excited for their CoDs, BFs and MoHs. I'll have this one to play for hours if they're anything like the original games, especially the second! :D

Make that two! I have lost any interest in FPS games years ago (due to modern FPS games being lame), but if IGI is anything like the original games updated with modern graphics, it will be glorious.
    00Agent wrote: »

Make that two! I have lost any interest in FPS games years ago (due to modern FPS games being lame), but if IGI is anything like the original games updated with modern graphics, it will be glorious.
    Yes, sir! :D And bring Chris Ryan back for field consultancy. It was because of him I loved the second one better as it felt like a set of genuine spy infiltration sessions.
    10...more...days!

5 more days! @Murdock :)
    Had it pre ordered on the first day.
    With Odyseey and Breath of the Wild being released in the same year, buying a Switch was an easy decision.
    The wait is excruciating. :))
    edited October 2017 Posts: 5,185
    The wait is excruciating. :))

I can't even play it until the 01.Nov, cause i am going on a small vacation this Saturday.
    But i believe i will lock myself at home for a couple days as soon as i am back and play the hell out of it