Coming Soon To Consoles! - The Upcoming Games Thread

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    dalton wrote: »
    One can only hope this is the beginning of the end of the Call of Duty franchise.

With the gradually decreasing sales each go around, I think audiences are speaking with their wallets. And about time.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    To those of you who are as excited about this as I am, 'Friday the 13th' will be released on consoles on May 26th, with the single-player component being released later in the year as a free add-on:

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-26824-Friday-the-13th--The-Game-Dated-for-Late-May.html

I was under the impression that the single player campaign would get a separate physical release later in the Summer. If it's going to be available via download only, forget it.

That's the world the industry is heading in. All digital, all the time. Cut back on physical releases, save time and money.

And that is why I haven't moved onto 8th generation games.

I like the digital model, to be honest. More convenient in some cases, and physical releases just take up space. The download times can be grating for some games, but the ease and simplicity of going onto an e-store and choosing a game in seconds without moving an inch is a great one. You're also helping the industry and its distributors from making so many physical copies, which is important considering the ever increasing cost of games. Every penny needs saved.

The only times I'll ever buy a physical copy for a game is if I can't wait for a proper physical release (to avoid spoilers, etc), and that won't be often.
    They'll be doing themselves a major disservice, though, if they go all digital too soon. There's still a good portion of the US (and I'd assume other countries as well) that do not have access to the kind of internet you'd need to make this a feasible standard. Just some of the updates for these new games take a couple of hours to download. A complete game? Forget about it, I don't have that kind of time.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    They'll be doing themselves a major disservice, though, if they go all digital too soon. There's still a good portion of the US (and I'd assume other countries as well) that do not have access to the kind of internet you'd need to make this a feasible standard. Just some of the updates for these new games take a couple of hours to download. A complete game? Forget about it, I don't have that kind of time.

You're absolutely right, and that's the biggest elephant in the room in that respect. Industry insiders assure that the internet issue won't be a problem very soon, but we're right to have our doubts. I guess that because I'm not a heavy game buyer and only play one game for months at a time without swapping out, I don't feel the effects of constant downloads like other gamers who have larger appetites for content.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I miss the days when you bought a game and everything was on the disc as opposed to today where you buy a disc with 20% of the game, 10% of the game is a day one patch and the other 70% is DLC.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Agreed.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    One can only hope this is the beginning of the end of the Call of Duty franchise.

With the gradually decreasing sales each go around, I think audiences are speaking with their wallets. And about time.
    To those of you who are as excited about this as I am, 'Friday the 13th' will be released on consoles on May 26th, with the single-player component being released later in the year as a free add-on:

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-26824-Friday-the-13th--The-Game-Dated-for-Late-May.html

I was under the impression that the single player campaign would get a separate physical release later in the Summer. If it's going to be available via download only, forget it.

That's the world the industry is heading in. All digital, all the time. Cut back on physical releases, save time and money.

And that is why I haven't moved onto 8th generation games.

I like the digital model, to be honest. More convenient in some cases, and physical releases just take up space. The download times can be grating for some games, but the ease and simplicity of going onto an e-store and choosing a game in seconds without moving an inch is a great one. You're also helping the industry and its distributors from making so many physical copies, which is important considering the ever increasing cost of games. Every penny needs saved.

The only times I'll ever buy a physical copy for a game is if I can't wait for a proper physical release (to avoid spoilers, etc), and that won't be often.

When that time comes, my interest in gaming will be placed in a pine box, and the final nail will be hammered down.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Still only whispers at this point, but talk of a Bully 2 has been rumored once again across game media:

http://www.psu.com/news/32825/bully-2-release-rockstar-red-dead-redemption-2-rumor

I'd really love to see this, especially if it's a sequel with Jimmy again where he, now king of the school, has new enemies trying to take his throne in the form of a portion of the student body that has joined together (regardless of clique) to oppose him.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Red Dead Redemption 2' delayed to Spring 2018, new screenshots released:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/22/red-dead-redemption-2-delayed-to-spring-2018
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Will you check this beauty of a trailer out?! :D

Anyone watch the Assassin's Creed reveal? I couldn't help but feel a little underwhelmed after the two year gap. Most of the changes seemed a bit superficial (being able to shoot in mid air) and it seemed quite cartoony and OTT at times. But I guess there's only so much they could add at this point to be fair. Plus it's the Black Flag team so I have faith in them to pull it off.

Looks promising though. The setting looks fantastic, graphics are great, combat looks interesting and the story seems very intriguing. Didn't have the wow factor of past reveals but to be fair that's probably a good thing. After all Unity blew me away when that was revealed and look how that turned out.
    I also didn't care for the UI of 'Origins,' seems eerily similar to 'Destiny.' Game itself does look pretty vibrant and colorful though, but I'm not sure if it'll revitalize any sort of interest in the series for me. Definitely interested in the new 'Metro' and 'Wolfenstein' titles, though.
    Does anyone know when we can expect to find out about Solstice if it's real?
    I also didn't care for the UI of 'Origins,' seems eerily similar to 'Destiny.' Game itself does look pretty vibrant and colorful though

Something I noticed was that the UI seemed more cinematic than usual, like when the text popped up to say he'd discovered a new location. Which is weird because usually the UI is very plain and sciency looking. I'm praying this means that it's a purely historical game and that there's no modern day.

And yeah the setting looks great. Looks just as vibrant and colourful as Black Flag did. I really like the concept of seeing the first assassin too.

But I don't know. Just wasn't what I expected so far. Seemed a bit too cartoony at times with how he moved and some of the abilities. Like controlling an arrow? Although to be fair this has been an issue for a couple of games now, with Arnos weird disguise mechanic and Evie's invisibility. I think I was just expecting something more impressive (along the lines of the AC III or Unity reveals, something that looks properly revolutionary) with the extra year they'd had. But again that might be a good thing, I really enjoyed AC III but I know the majority didn't and Unity was a massive disappointment in almost every way. So maybe it's a case of the less hype the better.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 40,368
    I also tire of developers incorporating new features into their franchises that aren't remotely fresh or original, just for that idea to become some massive highlight for some reason (i.e. using an eagle/drone/flying creature to spot people, something countless games have done in the last few years). Give us something fresh, particularly since they took a two-year hiatus to work on this.

Don't get me wrong, it's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not something I'll pat them on the back for, either. It's akin to people praising Bungie for reduced load times/inclusion of matchmaking for 'Destiny 2' - stuff that had no reason to not be incorporated into the first installment.

Ouch. I hate to say this, but that looked really, really bad. Not only from a technical standpoint, which actually felt last-gen in style and presentation, but also in a sense of fun. Even after a big break, Ubi just give us something that not only feels like everything that came before (down to copied movements and parkour), but like even less than that.

This might be heading to a no-buy for me, or a discount purchase if I ever do play it.
    This is an odd crossover that looks rather interesting.
    Waiting on Nintendo's announcements tomorrow. Hoping for good things obviously like Metroid or Switch Virtual Console, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
    I'm most excited for more Super Mario Odyssey footage. The teaser they showed in January made it my most anticipated game of the year.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm waiting for possible Resident Evil news and whatever the hell Hideo Kojima's there for since Death Stranding (sadly) won't be. That's all I'm interested in.
    @Agent007391, I thought Wolfenstein would be up your forte.
    I never played The New Order. I played a little of The Old Blood, but not much.
    Interesting. How did you find it? The Old Blood, that is.
    I liked what I played. I didn't have access to a PS4 at the time, and I encouraged a friend of mine to buy it, played it there. He liked The New Order, but didn't think The Old Blood would be worth the purchase until I suggested it to him. I've still not even played Wolfenstein on the last generation yet. I played Return to Castle Wolfenstein, but that's the last one I actually completed.
    Who else in here was a huge 'Splinter Cell' fan again, as well? Can't recall who, but anyway, the developers confirm that they are busy at the moment but certainly haven't forgotten about the 'Splinter Cell' series, so I suppose a future for the series is still in store!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/13/e3-2017-ubisoft-not-forgetting-splinter-cell-says-ceo

Also, never got to play the original 'Shadow of the Colossus,' but a gorgeous looking remake is now coming to PS4 and I won't miss it.
    I completely forgot Days Gone would be at E3. I'm a sucker for a good zombie apocalypse game.
    That demo was great. Loved the bit where he destroys the wall to send the zombie horde towards the gang. Can't wait to check it out, 'Far Cry 5' as well (particularly the co-op).
    I haven't see all the E3 coverage, but I think it's pretty safe to say that this year was a dull one. Last year all the major conferences revealed their new games, and this year was inevitably just going to be us seeing those same games a bit more. The motto of this year was essentially, "All the good stuff is coming in 2018!"

I couldn't care less for much of what I saw, and didn't have any excited reaction to anything at Sony's conference (ie, the one that matters for me), including God of War and Days Gone, except for this:

I wanted Spider-Man, and they provided it. Can't really ask for much more. I was happy to see the gameplay being a perfect marriage of the web swinging of Spider-Man 2 and the Beenox style of parkour sensitive environments from their two open-world games. It's the most cinematic a Spidey game has ever been, and the combat and traversal stuff seems to back that up. I'm sad to see a 2018 release, but if it's a strong title, it'll be worth the wait.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2017 Posts: 13,882
    Who else in here was a huge 'Splinter Cell' fan again, as well? Can't recall who, but anyway, the developers confirm that they are busy at the moment but certainly haven't forgotten about the 'Splinter Cell' series, so I suppose a future for the series is still in store!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/13/e3-2017-ubisoft-not-forgetting-splinter-cell-says-ceo

*raises hand*

Splinter Cell is one of my favourite game series, with Pandora Tomorrow being in my holy trinity of spy games. This is good news. I enjoyed Blacklist, and I don't think that it deserved the reception it got.
    Agreed I love splinter cell

*raises hand*

Splinter Cell is one of my favourite game series, with Pandora Tomorrow being in my holy trinity of spy games. This is good news. I enjoyed Blacklist, and I don't think that it deserved the reception it got.

I thought it was you; well at least we know the series isn't dead just yet, thankfully.

I'm in agreement @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I was pretty disappointed with E3's lineup this year. Nothing really wowed or amazed me this time around - a few titles I'll definitely check out, but nothing overly incredible.
    I liked what I played. I didn't have access to a PS4 at the time, and I encouraged a friend of mine to buy it, played it there. He liked The New Order, but didn't think The Old Blood would be worth the purchase until I suggested it to him. I've still not even played Wolfenstein on the last generation yet. I played Return to Castle Wolfenstein, but that's the last one I actually completed.
    I believe, as advanced as the later Wolfenstein games are, I don't think either of them will ever beat the greatness of Return to Castle Wolfenstein. The prequel to New Order, The Old Blood was a remake of it and even had characters like Agent One and Kessler reused for the same story. But, Bethesda's entries (soon to be three) are a lot better than the pisstake of a game that Activision's version was. Tell you the truth, The Black Sun was a good plot point, but everything else in it was reused wrongfully and its strong Call of Duty influence (and having to update weapons via briefcases every five minutes using Extra Points) destroyed it for me. Deathshead was used wrongfully as well and Blazkowicz was nothing but a generic 2000s Bourne type hot headed template of a protagonist.

I'm truly looking forward to Wolfenstein: The New Colossus, as it does have what it takes to create a worthy sequel to what New Order started.